Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Ok Kara just said "I thought masks were only big in that OTHER city."  A reference to Star City of whatever Earth she is on?  Or are they really going to try to line up these universes?

I also think it was Gotham, but I'm guessing they may not be allowed to say "Gotham" since (I believe) the Fox show has a contractual lock on the Bat-mythos.  I do recall someone from the Berlanti group once saying "we aren't allowed to use Batman before Gotham does, so that's a long time from now".

Also, the "bounty hunter" they referred to without naming him is probably Lobo, who I described in the Supergirl forum as "the kind of character you bring in if you want all hell to break loose."

Finally, with the first casting announcement, and since we had a thread for it in the old DC TV Universe forum, I wanted to point out that Powerless has a forum now.  That's the workplace comedy pilot for NBC about an insurance agency in the world of DC Comics.

• Love 2

Ack! I accidently used Star City instead of Starling - I'm losing grip of my protest statement there. 

*The only time on Arrow that I strongly disliked Ray was when he shot his weapon at Roy.  And I kind of like him on Legends.  But damn, renaming a company is one thing - renaming a city?  No. Just no.

Anyway, I still think it was an Arrow reference because of all the "masks" running around on our show.  But I don't know anything about Gothem.  I was under the impression that at present - masks weren't a big thing over there because the Bat Family were only children (or not even born yet).

Edited by nksarmi

I was under the impression they were referring to Gotham too, but since they couldn't do it directly because of the show they decided to do it in a vague enough way viewers could attribute it to pretty much any DC city they want.

No spoilers...

Superhero shows, it's time to kill a favorite character
BY JAMES HIBBERD, NATALIE ABRAMS
Posted February 23 2016 — 3:28 PM EST
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/02/22/superheroes-death

“Hey did you see last week’s shocking episode where that superhero was killed off?” – said no one ever.

And why is that?

Because a major comic-book-based TV hero going to the great secret hideout in the sky has never happened. Arrow, The Flash, Gotham, Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Supergirl, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., that other ABC one … we are three years into an unprecedented surge of superhero shows, yet soapy procedurals like CBS’ The Good Wife and ABC’s Grey’s Anatomy have higher “hero” body counts than all the Marvel and DC titles combined.
So our first question is: Why haven’t comic-book hero shows pulled the trigger by getting rid of a heroic series regular? ...
... So are Marvel and D.C. overly protective and limiting the stories their writers can tell?

The answer is: Very likely, though it’s tough to get anybody to come right out and say this....
In the comics, even the major icons get killed off, but are almost always resurrected, sometimes years later...
Now here’s the second big question: Do we actually want this trend to change? ...
“I don’t believe that superheroes shouldn’t die,” says Guggenheim. “I think it gives stakes to the stories and I think it humanizes them in a necessary way to make you care about these characters. They are living myths, but I like the fact that they’re mortal myths.”

Edited by tv echo

This video clip is from tonight's 2-part episode of Marvel's Agent Carter - I have to say, this made me smile after all the Arrow angst!...

(Yep, it's a dream sequence.)

Edited by tv echo

So media is talking with show runners about killing off an actual comic superhero? Now would be the time to kill off Black Canary. She's really the only major comic hero not the lead of a show. And people saying that it's cowardice writing to kill Laurel because she's not popular is weird to me. I think it's the other way around.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 5

That is kind of making me lean toward Laurel being in the grave. What other actual comic superhero are they going to kill off? Oliver, Barry, and Kara are safe by virtue of being the leads of their shows. Killing Speedy would be redundant at this point. Diggle...does he count as a comics superhero, even with the obscure Spartan name?

I suppose they could kill off some of the Legends characters. Maybe that's what they're talking about. *shrug*

But it just makes me think. For months all we've heard is that Laurel can't be killed basically "because comics". Now the showrunners start talking about killing a comics superhero. It may mean nothing, but it does make me go "hmmm".

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 6

It is interesting timing and we know someone on Arrow is going to die so....maybe.  I'm just glad they didn't get this bee in their bonnet last season because I'm rather glad that Roy's death was fake and he can come in and out of the story. 

Oh and I would say that Legends clearly doesn't count because it's not listed and they already killed Hawkman (grant it, he gets reincarnated, but they still killed him lol).

• Love 1

I watched the producers' preview of The Flash for the Diggles and you're telling me that Earth 2 Flash died in the previous episode? Caitlin seems to be turning into Lady Mary Crawley of the Arrowverse.

• Love 2

Two things I learned after tonight's FLASH episode -

1. They have better CGI sharks on FLASH

2. If they ever think of killing of Diggle, they are absolutely INSANE!!! Dig can do everything from action to pep talks. Seriously if ARROW kills of Diggle they have reached irretrievable levels of stupid.

Addendum - FLASH is as predictable as ARROW sometimes in their major "twists"

• Love 3

I watched The Flash tonight for the first time in ages. The things I do for my Diggle! He was great though. His reactions to Barry and meta humans will never not be funny. It was great seeing Lyla there too.

King Shark was hilariously bad though. I just can't take it seriously. And I know it's pure comic book fun but I just can't find myself getting invested in that. 

In all fairness, FLASH did have Joe sing on Earth 2.

But yeah, a musical number is not that hard to sneak in with these talented casts. I mean perhaps they can incorporate running. There are many songs with running in them.

• Love 2

He doesn't know that she knows he knows ;)

Wait, do you think Felicity knows now, or that this will actually fall after tonight's episode of Arrow, or are you teasing?

I'm not crazy about Lyla's current hairstyle. But director of ARGUS, yay! I've been waiting for that since season 2 possibly.

Nobody's going to die on Arrow. They're going to fake William's death, and send him away forever for his own safety. Of course, this means that Oliver and Felicity can never have children because it's tooooo dangerous. . ..

With the way they have Lyla clean up Wallers doings i think they gonna use Argus to send Willy boy and Sammy somehwere safe.

That would be the most logical thing to do. Honestly, the one thing I'm afraid of is that everyone will be dumb enough to just drop them off in CC once they get him from Darhk. That hardly makes either of them safe.

Can you guys explain something to me? So Zoom supposedly killed Jay last episode and sucked him back to Earth 2. Yet this episode Jay is revealed to be Zoom. Who the hell sucked him back then and why didn't he try to kill Barry at the lab while he was there as Jay?

I think maybe there are sets of Jay/Zolomon twins on each Earth. Because the guy in the iron mask seems to be a Jay, too. SO WE HAVE FOUR JAYS. Either that or Zoom ran through multiple earths and collected versions of himself who all happen to be speedsters?

My brain, she hurts.

Wait, do you think Felicity knows now, or that this will actually fall after tonight's episode of Arrow, or are you teasing?

It sort of felt like this episode of The Flash would have come more logically in between 415 and 416, when Arrow will also likely have a time jump. Not sure Dig and Lyla would have had time to find out and deal with this King Shark thing in between 414 and 415. So yeah, I was kind of guessing that Felicity wasn't answering Barry's calls because she was a little pissed that he knew about William, maybe? Would make sense given Barry's guilt complex in the episode.

• Love 1

I don't know - I thought the call Diggle got at the end might've been Oliver letting him know he needed help looking for HIS SON!11!! Which would prompt Diggle to return to Star City for this ep? But maybe it is set after tonight's.

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

I thought it may be in regards to the attack in 4x09. Him acknowledging the paralysis. But that doesn't make sense because there is no reason for Felicity not to return his calls. It came across as kind of an oddly timed mention.

Part of me hoped it was a set up for a phone call or surprise appearance at the end of 4.15 (callback to the train scene) but then remembering Barry's part in the this...idk

Diggle getting a call could probably come before tonight's episode or before week 16's - there is always something going wrong in Starling.  It did feel like there was a little bit of a time jump in this episode, but maybe that was just catching up to Arrow who had to have a time jump of their own while Felicity was going through surgeries during the holidays.

But Lyla at the head of Argus and Diggle being her number one wing man tells me there is no way they are even thinking of killing off Diggle.  Even if the actor wanted off the show to go shot the biggest movie of his career, they would just have Diggle need to leave the city for some reason. They'd keep him alive to come back with Lyla from time to time on any of the shows.  I never really thought they'd kill him, but I think they've established now that it would be just pure foolishness if they did.

I was thinking that Zoom is just Hunter Z from Earth 1.  I hope it's not an issue of twins because that really will be too many Jay's running around.  The man in the iron mask is someone else entirely.

Edited by nksarmi

I don't know - I thought the call Diggle got at the end might've been Oliver letting him know he needed help looking for HIS SON!11!! Which would prompt Diggle to return to Star City for this ep? But maybe it is set after tonight's.

I half expected to hear OQ's voice coming through the phone "my soooonnnnnn!"

Edited by kismet
  • Love 2

Maybe Felicity hasn't been returning Barry's calls because she's

been in hospital having spinal surgery and they're not telling anyone in case it doesn't work?

That would actually make sense to me.

Edited by Guest

Wow, they must really love Teddy Sears if they're writing for it to be four of him!

Maybe Felicity hasn't been returning Barry's calls because she's

been in hospital having spinal surgery and they're not telling anyone in case it doesn't work?

It would be a good way to set it up in tonight's Arrow episode.

This is a lengthy but interesting article (though I'm still not sure what the writer was trying to say should be done on these shows)...

The Flash and Arrow’s Biggest Villain is the Network Producing Them
BY Drew Powell  February 23, 2016
http://randomnerds.com/the-flash-and-arrows-biggest-villain-is-the-network-producing-them/

That was an interesting read, although some of the soap opera can be attributed to Berlanti's background, not just the CW.  And I'm not thrilled to have Oliver compared to Kissinger

Where Barry is a Moralist, Oliver is a Realist. Barry is Jimmie Carter, and Oliver: Henry Kissinger.

Watched the Flash because of Diggle and Lyla. My brother was making many snarky remarks because he was really getting irritated by the sighs and the pity party that Barry was throwing himself.  He loved that the shark killed the 5 ARGUS agents at the pool and then eating the two at the bay and then he starting laughing and said, "The shark should eat the Flash." He then turned to me and said, "Oh no he couldn't do that he would have the runs." I thought this was one of the worst shows so far boring, whiney yuck fest but enjoyed the running commentary made by my brother.

• Love 4

So I've decided I want the crossover to have a meta that gets it powers strengthened by secrets & guilt. Between Flash & Arrow, I've decided that it would be enjoyable to try to watch the teams take down the super forces of emotion.

• Love 2

I kind of want tomorrow's LOT to forego the usual Rip opening spiel and have Future!Green Arrow give the Arrow "My name is...blah blah blah... I had to become something else" spiel. I think it would be funny, but I'm not sure they'd have another character take over the show's intro like that.

• Love 2

I actually had a dream about LoT's next episode. For some reason, it had Baby Mama (I guess I've been reading the spoiler thread too much...) alongside Sara, Oliver, Connor Hawke (or whomever the new Green Arrow is) and... Thea, I think. It was really weird and made no sense, but still entertaining. There were like 12 Green Arrows and long treks through woodlands. And guerilla warfare against Vandal Savage.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2