Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Felicity is kind of in a tricky situation because while the name exists in the comic book universe, it's not the character that we know as Felicity Smoak.  I think it's the same with Lyla/Harbinger, isn't it?

Felicity is kind of in a tricky situation because while the name exists in the comic book universe, it's not the character that we know as Felicity Smoak.  I think it's the same with Lyla/Harbinger, isn't it?

you could say the same about most Arrow characters. Lyla, Kate Spencer, Shado, Yao Fei

• Love 1

you could say the same about most Arrow characters. Lyla, Kate Spencer, Shado, Yao Fei

Ray Palmer. I'm not a huge fan of the Atom but I still think they've done a bigger disservice to him than just about anyone else on the show, except Ra's al Ghul.

Edited by KirkB
  • Love 1

Ray Palmer. I'm not a huge fan of the Atom but I still think they've done a bigger disservice to him than just about anyone else on the show, except Ra's al Ghul.

I don't know much about Ray so I couldn't say one way or the other.  Only time i ever encountered him was in an episode of Justice League where he was working with Lex Luthor to stop a giant sentient robot.

I think they did a great job trashing Dinah Laurel Lance as well. 

• Love 2

Ugh, that was bad. I skipped his scene with Iris, since the episode to that point didn't seem to indicate that they'd handle it well.

I literally watched the scene where Barry ambushes Iris by pushing play, watching it for five seconds, hitting pause, hiding my face, rinse and repeat.  It was sooo painful.  

• Love 2

Rewatching Captain America: The Winter Solider. Such a great movie. I keep hearing that Iron Man has the best individual movies (ignoring #2), but I have to give it to Captain America. And seriously, Chris Evans doesn't get near enough praise as Steve Rogers. 

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 9

Can I just say that I don't understand the hate for the second Iron Man movie? I like it better each time I see it. Seriously, why??

Hmm, I don't hate the 2nd Iron Man movie but I don't like it much either. I don't know why. I do hate the 3rd movie that was a giant stinker IMO.

If I had to rank the Marvel Movies right now.

Captain America the Winter Soldier

Iron Man

The Avengers/Guardians of the Galaxy (tie)

Captain America the First Avenger

Iron Man 2

The Incredible Hulk (Norton version)

Thor

Iron Man 3

I never watched the 2nd Thor movie.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2

It's been a while since I seen it, and while I didn't hate it, I remember being disappointed by two things about Iron Man 2: 1) I felt like the Tony/Pepper scenes were too over-the-top.  I loved their banter in the first one, but this one, I remember thinking it was close to sitcom territory at times, and not in a good way.  2) I really didn't like the villains.  Whiplash was a huge disappointment (and I couldn't understand what the hell Mickey Rourke was saying 75% of the time) and Hammer was just an obnoxious whiner.  That just could be a personal preference though: I'm not a fan of villains whose main purpose for being bad is being jealous of the hero (reason why I really hated Hector Hammond in The Green Lantern film), and I just remember think Hammer's arc was just basically "Waaa!!  Everyone loves Tony, and no one loves me!"  Waaa!"

That said, I might feel differently, since I've come to accept that, frankly, Marvel films really struggle with villains.  I still think Loki is the only one who really works fully.  Everyone else is one-dimensional cut-outs, with lame motivations and stories.  Honestly, after Loki, I think the next Marvel villain that left an impression was Ronan, and that was just because Lee Pace was so delightfully over-theatrical (and Ronan's reaction to Peter's "dance-off", was perfect.)  Even he was just a typical zealot.  Biggest disappoint for me is still Red Skull.  Hugo Weaving as Red Skull should have been epic.  Instead, not so much.

I guess there was the Winter Solider/Bucky, but I really wouldn't consider him an actual villain, but a victim of Hydra, who was manipulated into doing their bidding. 

Agree with you on the villains, although Ronan never worked for me (and I kinda hate GotG in general, TBH - so, so overrated, my least favorite of MCU by far, even Iron Man 2 and 3 are better, at least their leads weren't as cardboard and shallow).

1) I felt like the Tony/Pepper scenes were too over-the-top. I loved their banter in the first one, but this one, I remember thinking it was close to sitcom territory at times, and not in a good way. 2) I really didn't like the villains. Whiplash was a huge disappointment (and I couldn't understand what the hell Mickey Rourke was saying 75% of the time) and Hammer was just an obnoxious whiner. That just could be a personal preference though: I'm not a fan of villains whose main purpose for being bad is being jealous of the hero (reason why I really hated Hector Hammond in The Green Lantern film), and I just remember think Hammer's arc was just basically "Waaa!! Everyone loves Tony, and no one loves me!" Waaa!"

Agreed on this. I was really down on Tony/Pepper after IM2.

Can't agree on Ronan though. To me he came across as a total non-entity. Maybe the most forgettable villain in the MCU movies as far as I was concerned.

The second Iron Man is worth it just for the hearing scene where Tony yells, "You want my property, you can't have it!" And the introduction of Natasha. But it and the Thor movies have always felt weak compared to Captain America and The Avengers.

• Love 1

To try to get this on a less depressing note - I think part of the deal with Scott and Jean is that they are the couple associated with the big Phoenix saga back in the 1980s - Wolverine was around and interested, but Jean was definitely with Scott at the time. But since the Phoenix saga was, for awhile, the X-Men story, I think that's kept Scott and Jean a focus in the films, despite Hugh Jackman.

I disagree on Jean/Scott being the focus in the X Movies. IMO, X2 really switched the romance from Scott/Jean to Jean/Logan. Yes, I know they had the Jean turn Logan down but everything about that movie Screamed Jean/Logan OTP. Even down to the ending where they focused more on Logan's pain over losing Jean than Scott's. I don't even like the pairing but I found that so annoying. Of course that was also the point where I started to hate Logan and view Wolverine as unbelievably over exposed.

X3 pretty much destroyed Scott/Jean (and the freaking Phoenix story). Jean killed Scott? Wolverine gets the epic love/sacrifice ending? So annoying and yes, I know there were extenuating circumstances and even a cut scene that hinted at Scott being alive (I think).

Hell, even The Wolverine made it seem like Jean was Logan's OTP. They finally introduce Mariko and the Yoshida Clan story and yet all the fans are talking about was Logan/Jean and how that was Jean in the White Hot Room reaching out to save Logan because she loved him so much (true story, quite a few threads about it on IMDb).

Conversely you actually have Wolverine Origins seemingly setting up Scott/Emma (yeah, FOX totally sucks).

All this is to say that movies and tv shows will pretty much go wherever they want. Doesn't matter if Scott/Jean were OTP (not currently and who knows about the future). Or the fact that Lady Sif is more a part of Thor's story than Jane (Sif definitely has a better claim on Main LI in the comics or she did). Hell, Steve/Natasha might end up OTP while Susan Carter disappears from the movies.

Of course this is just my opinion and a mini rant against the X Movies (which I think FOX destroyed).

Edited by Morrigan2575

I disagree on Jean/Scott being the focus in the X Movies. 

"A" focus, not "the" focus.

I know nothing about this "X3" film you refer to. Was it perhaps filmed in an alternative universe?  We all know that Jean would never kill Scott just because the director was annoyed that Scott's actor accepted a part in a Superman film.  

• Love 9

"A" focus, not "the" focus.

I know nothing about this "X3" film you refer to. Was it perhaps filmed in an alternative universe? We all know that Jean would never kill Scott just because the director was annoyed that Scott's actor accepted a part in a Superman film.

ok, then I agree it was a focus of the films but not the focus. The focus was Wolverine/Jackman and made everything including Jean about him.

I wish I could forget X3, I really do, unfortunately X3 and Wolverine Origins were so bad it ruined the entire franchise for me. I tried First Class, it was OK but, the resentment is still there.

X3 is like every Matrix sequel, ruined the first movie so badly I don't even want to watch the first movie which was brilliant.

I didn't hate Origins. It worked for me largely because the X-Men movies became more and more Wolverine focused which took away from everyone else, while Origins just said "screw it" and gave all the focus to Wolverine. X3, on the other hand, was a ridiculous mess of a movie where I thought the only highlight was Kelsey Grammer as Beast. They utterly ruined my favorite X-villain (Juggernaut) and introduced popular characters like Psylocke with glorified cameos where they never even named them. 

I didn't hate Origins. It worked for me largely because the X-Men movies became more and more Wolverine focused which took away from everyone else, while Origins just said "screw it" and gave all the focus to Wolverine. X3, on the other hand, was a ridiculous mess of a movie where I thought the only highlight was Kelsey Grammer as Beast. They utterly ruined my favorite X-villain (Juggernaut) and introduced popular characters like Psylocke with glorified cameos where they never even named them.

I hated Origins so much.  It was just such a mess continuity wise as well as character wise.  They butchered Deadpool (bastards!) and really screwed up Gambit, IMO.  I also had issues with Silver Fox being Emma Frost's sister.  Not to mention they really seemed to screw up the timeline.  In X3 Xavier is already in the wheelchair when he goes to recruit Jean Grey but in Wolverine Origins (a few years later) he's still walking around.  Of course both of those got screwed by First Class which has Magento turning on Charles and Charles becoming paralyzed back in the 60s.

Now, onto something positive. :)

Deadpool Synopsis not really spoilery just the basic premise plus some speculation by Screenrant.

http://screenrant.com/deadpool-movie-synopsis-logo/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=official-deadpool-synopsis-hints-at-larger-x-men-connections

Edited by Morrigan2575

When you say Origins screwed up Deadpool do you mean completely? Or did you think the way Ryan Reynolds played him before they sewed his mouth up and gave him Cyclops' eye lasers for some reason? Because I thought RR is an inspired choice for the role, he can be manic and snarky and even mean when he wants, so he should be great in his own movie.

I agree Origins screwed up the continuity. When you have to make a whole other movie (DoFP) to work out all the kinks you know you have a problem. But putting aside what it did to the franchise I thought Origins was an enjoyable enough movie. To each their own.

When you say Origins screwed up Deadpool do you mean completely? Or did you think the way Ryan Reynolds played him before they sewed his mouth up and gave him Cyclops' eye lasers for some reason? Because I thought RR is an inspired choice for the role, he can be manic and snarky and even mean when he wants, so he should be great in his own movie.

I agree Origins screwed up the continuity. When you have to make a whole other movie (DoFP) to work out all the kinks you know you have a problem. But putting aside what it did to the franchise I thought Origins was an enjoyable enough movie. To each their own.

I loved Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson, he was darn near perfect and I can't wait to see him bring Deadpool to life in the movie (finally!).

My issue was the monstrosity at the end. Deadpool's nickname is the Merc with the Mouth and they sewed up his mouth.  Not to mention all of the other mutant powers they gave him.

I've gotten into this discussion at work and I've been accused of hating it because it wasn't the comics but i loved X1 (it had some issues) and X2 (great flick).  I don't mind if the movie makes changes from the comics as long as they're good and make sense within the universe being created.  I think FOX just really didn't care enough to make good movies and were just capitalizing on the X-Men title.  

Edited by Morrigan2575

I thought X1 was so-so. Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan were both fantastic and I thought Hugh Jackman did remarkably well as Wolverine even though I remember thinking he looked a little...big, to me, but Storm and Jean seemed underpowered, Cyclops was (through no fault of the actor) kind of a wet blanket, and Anna Paquin always seemed lost. X2, on the other hand, was more fun to watch. Yes, the focus on Wolverine was problematic for anyone not a fan of the character, but his fight with Lady Deathstrike (what they did to THAT character notwithstanding)  was great, as was the assault on the mansion. X3, however, was a mess and the less said about it the better. Origins I thought was an okay, enjoyable enough movie so long as you took it by itself, but if you tried to make it fit with what came before the damage to the continuity might make your head explode.

• Love 2

Whoa, love the guns, the hair, not so much. :p

ETA: Good Deadpool article about how Deadpool doesn't have to be an R rated movie.  I'm on the fence, I don't particularly care one way or the other.  I don't buy into the idea that it HAS to be rated R or else it will suck but there's some merit to the argument that Deadpool is an R rated character.  Anyway, i like this article's take on why Deadpool could in fact work better as a PG-13 movie.

http://www.vox.com/2015/3/30/8312595/deadpool-ryan-reynolds-r-rating

Edited by Morrigan2575

1st 'Fantastic Four' Team Poster Promises Change
By Robert Dougherty Mar 29, 2015 03:30 AM
http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/1st-fantastic-four-team-poster-promises-change

'Daredevil' Joined By Friends & Foes In Character Posters
By Robert Dougherty Mar 30, 2015 01:46 PM
http://www.themovienetwork.com/content/daredevil-joined-friends-foes-character-posters

The Next STAR WARS: THE FORCE AWAKENS Trailer Is Attached to AVENGERS: AGE OF ULTRON
BY ADAM CHITWOOD      13 HOURS AGO
http://collider.com/star-wars-force-awakens-new-trailer-avengers-2/

I really like Candice Patton. I think this is a case in which the actor saves, at least to some extent, a somewhat poorly-written character. She just comes across as so warm. She's also totally, totally gorgeous.

• Love 7

I really like Candice Patton. I think this is a case in which the actor saves, at least to some extent, a somewhat poorly-written character. She just comes across as so warm. She's also totally, totally gorgeous.

I completely agree. I really like Iris, but a lot of that comes from Candice Patton. She does come across as warm and caring to me, even when the writing hasn't been so great. It's a large part of my problem with Laurel - I would be far more inclined to give her some slack if it weren't for how Katie Cassidy comes across to me in the role. Let's just say it's the opposite of warm and caring.

• Love 7

I actually loved this week's Flash episode, but letting Eddie in on the secret was like some sort of last straw for me, and now I am 100% Team Iris Vs. The World. When she finds out, I hope she leaves nothing behind but ashes. But at the same time, that would be a sucky place for her character to be too. She should be allowed to shut them all out--that's what I want from her from a justice perspective. She deserves to be righteously angry. But that would just continue to alienate and isolate her. So I just don't know how they're going to pull off anything good from this aside from solving all their problems with a timeline change. I remained baffled that the writers learned nothing from positioning LL the same way, but I guess I shouldn't be so surprised by things like that at this point.

• Love 8

I actually kind of understand people's frustrations with the romance stuff on Arrow now that I'm watching The Flash.  That's how I feel about all of the Barry/Iris/Linda/Future love interest stuff.  Don't care, don't have time for this.  I'm not sure how much longer I'll last with The Flash because Barry's love life is really killing my interest in that show.  Zero investment is what I'm saying.

• Love 2

I'm team Eddie + Iris because damn, Eddie seems like he's going to go against Barry and Joe and try to convince them to tell her the truth. At least, that's what AK implied in one of his interviews. 

• Love 5

My only problem with Iris right now is how easily and quickly she went from barista to newspaper reporter... not only that, but a reporter who gets to cover big events and not just gophering at the newspaper office.

• Love 1

I'll echo the sentiment of not really shipping anyone on The Flash enough to care about the drama/angst that goes with it. As such, I watch for the individual characters, not the romance. I think a lot of that is because Barry has been portrayed as being rather immature and puppy dog-ish and so imagining him in any sexual situation never comes off as the least bit believable to me, but YMMV.

TBH, I wish I could go back to the days of not having a ship on Arrow either since I don't think these showrunners know how to write romance worth a damn and it's been a huge letdown so far. I blame SA and EBR's awesome chemistry for the abandonment of my blissful, non-shipping ignorance and now I'm paying the price...damn it.

• Love 6
(edited)

This writer clearly has not been watching Arrow or doing his research on the spin-off...

7 TV Shows That DC Should Make After Supergirl
By David Opie 1 day ago
http://wegotthiscovered.com/tv/7-tv-shows-dc-supergirl/

Fortunately, big plans are afoot for the “Arrowverse,” which looks set to expand soon in the form of a superhero team-up show starring The Atom (Brandon Routh), Captain Cold (Wentworth Miller), Dr. Martin Stein (Victor Garber) and Katie Cassidy, the Arrow alumni who may or may not reprise the role of Black Canary following her death at the beginning of the shows third season.
Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Katie Cassidy, the Arrow alumni who may or may not reprise the role of Black Canary following her death at the beginning of the shows third season.

Sigh. If only. Sometimes I wish we had time travel for real. 

• Love 5

That being said, I'd love them to take another stab at a Birds of Prey series.

I recently bought and watched those lovely 13 episodes the WB gave us.  I liked the actress who played Barbara SO much and Helena and teenage Dinah was growing on me.  It was weird after watching the Marvel movies, Arrow, and Flash to have them not wearing masks, but other than that - I still liked it a lot.  If Felicity, Laurel, and Thea could have some real friendships form - we could get a version of it on Arrow now and then.

• Love 1

"I'll echo the sentiment of not really shipping anyone on The Flash enough to care about the drama/angst that goes with it. As such, I watch for the individual characters, not the romance. I think a lot of that is because Barry has been portrayed as being rather immature and puppy dog-ish and so imagining him in any sexual situation never comes off as the least bit believable to me, but YMMV."

I am 100% with you. To me, Grant Gustin has no sexual or romantic chemistry with anyone. And I don't mean that as a burn; I think he's fantastic as Barry and has lots of other great types of chemistry (friend, pseudo-son, and esp. friend/colleague/rival with Oliver). But zero of that particular type.

• Love 2

I recently bought and watched those lovely 13 episodes the WB gave us. I liked the actress who played Barbara SO much and Helena and teenage Dinah was growing on me. It was weird after watching the Marvel movies, Arrow, and Flash to have them not wearing masks, but other than that - I still liked it a lot. If Felicity, Laurel, and Thea could have some real friendships form - we could get a version of it on Arrow now and then.

I actually hold the series very dear to my heart. My avatar here is actually Barbara from BoP. She was perfectly cast.

I think the show had quite a few problems but was still very good considering what else was on air at the time and could have been a real success given more time and less interference from the WB and D.C. comics. I still watch it regularly actually.

It's really a case of airing before it's time, it would probably be very successful if released in the past few years.

• Love 1

I don't ship anything on the Flash, but I do support Eddie/Iris. That seems to be the healthiest relationship on the show. But that's just me. We all know Iris is going to end up with Barry *rolls eyes*

• Love 3

I don't think Barry lying to Iris is a deal breaker...not like it's sister swapping or anything. That said he's clearly in the wrong (along with Joe) of most of his lies..and the show will reflect that when Iris finds out. 

And contrary to...basically everyone else here I care more about Flash and its characters then I ever did for Arrow's...

I actually hold the series very dear to my heart. My avatar here is actually Barbara from BoP. She was perfectly cast.

I think the show had quite a few problems but was still very good considering what else was on air at the time and could have been a real success given more time and less interference from the WB and D.C. comics. I still watch it regularly actually.

It's really a case of airing before it's time, it would probably be very successful if released in the past few years.

I really loved Barbara and remember wishing they'd spend more time focused on her.  I had issues with Dinah.  I like the actress now that she's grown but didn't not enjoy her as a teen.  I felt like I barely got to know the Huntress.   Plus I was mad that they had it that Bruce just took off cause he was so bummed.  Seemed out of character to just abandon everything in Gotham. 

Something else I remember is the first time I heard of the Black Canary was on that show and it was Aunt Rebecca from Full House.  I did not do a good job separating the two characters and remember laughing my head off at the "Canary Cry".

All that said, I was still bummed with the show got canceled.