Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Jimmy Olsen in some incarnations has been a love interest for Supergirl so that makes some sense.  Cat Grant could be a great character, kind of a foil for...what is Supergirl's secret identity?  Is her name still Kara? 

The tough thing about doing Supergirl is that Superman has to exist somewhere in the background.  Unless they send him off in space for a few years but even then wouldn't the Justice League be up and running?  I don't know.  A Supergirl sound very complicated either that or the audience is going to have to leave their brains at the door before watching. 

The description for Olson made me laugh. Alpha-Male, salt-of-the-eath, worldly....Is this the Jimmy Olson from the comic books? I only know him from tv/movie incarnations and I really never got that impression.

• Love 1

I know it has been discussed before, but Supergirl seems like a terrible fit for CBS. I know it's presumably on that channel because CBS was willing to pay a lot of money for the show, but what night are they going to put it on? It seems to me like they don't really have anything to pair it with. It will seem out of place on their schedule, and I'm not convinced it will be able to do well there, and even if it does, it'll have to do really well to get renewed.

I hope it's a great, successful show, and I know that Supergirl is fairly well known and maybe Superman fans will check it out. I just think it would have had a better shot at running for a long time on the CW, even with a reduced budget. Flash/Supergirl would make a fun night of television, even if there is some direct comic book competition with Agents of Shield.

I'm excited to see it, though. Wonder who they'll cast as Supergirl. For me, no one immediately comes to mind so they could go for an unknown actress.

Already got our first "contender" for the Supergirl role: apparently, Claire Holt (Rebekah from The Vampire Diaries) is one of the ones auditioning.  I guess the show might air on CBS, but Berlanti and crew clearly are looking into The CW pool.

Edited by thuganomics85

Oh, Claire Holt! I like her. And she's a pretty decent actress, too (a notch, maybe, two higher than the usual CW fare, IMO). She kind of has a bitchy resting face, though, and I don't mean that in a snide way. It's just how her face is, at rest. When I think of Supergirl, I imagine someone with a more open, friendly expression. Power Girl, on the other hand, has the bitchy resting face going for her.

I thought Laura Vandervoort did fine as Supergirl in Smallville but since Berlanti and co. are doing their own spin, I guess she's out of the running and they'll want to distance themselves as far away as possible from the Smallville version.

• Love 2

yea. I can't think of anyone straight off the top of my head that would fit the role.

Regarding superman being around.. I thought Kara is supposed to technically be older than him? wasn't she send over as an adult? or was that just the Smallville spin?

and yes Laura Vandervoort did a great job. although to be fair the only other counterpart she has to go against is that awful 80's movie or whatever it was.

If they want that Supergirl show to work, they're going to need to find their own Sarah Michelle Gellar. Not that she was that incredible as an actress, but she had a great presence, which could be fun, sympathetic, maddening and heroic, in turns. If they look at your typical CW type women, the show is doomed before it even begins.

But then, if their idea of good decision making is to turn Jimmy Olsen into an alpha male, then they're kind of missing the point already.

• Love 4

I love Claire Holt and would watch the hell out of Supergirl with her in the lead role, which is weird since I never even thought about her for the part. She became one of my favourites very quickly on The Vampire Diaries, and, as soon as she left The Originals my interest in that show flat lined. I still plan on watching season two, I'm just in no rush because of Holt's reduced presence, as Rebekah was a lot of fun.

Doesn't she already have a series regular role on Aquarius though? I do like that she's still popping up on The Originals from time to time, so I hope that continues because I do plan on catching up.

I like Claire Holt, and she actually was someone I thought of for this role, but my enthusiasm for this project has dropped since I read that TVLine article last month. The character descriptions of both Cat Grant and Jimmy Olsen...I don't know. Jimmy Olsen as alpha male? And Kara as personal assistant to Cat Grant, who is described as being the founder of a "media conglomerate" and as "J.Lo by way of Anna Wintour"?

I know it's a snap judgment, but nothing about that sounds appealing to me. I have no idea how much of it may or may not be based in comics, but I just kind of wish they'd stayed away from the media/fashion associations. I know journalism is a Superman thing, and for all I know it is for Supergirl too, but I just wish they'd gone a different direction there. It does make me wonder what exactly the target audience is though.

I'm not sure how much it matters though. I honestly don't see this lasting long on CBS.

Edited by Starfish35

I've never really read any of the Supergirl comics so I can't speak toward that aspect of it (and it tends to change with writers anyway), but traditionally in other medium Kara is portrayed as either somewhat younger than Kal or around the same age. As for Superman's presence, or lack there of, in her show, it seems fairly easy to me. Unless the show is going to tie into the movies, in which case they would be restricted by Man of Steel, they are their own entity and can tell their own story. In which case Kara is the only Kryptonian to make it to Earth. Superman doesn't show up because he doesn't HAVE to exist.

Edited by KirkB

I'm thinking that this crossover event is going to get some really great ratings.  They should have done this during November sweeps.

You know what's going to suck, though?   They probably aren't going to include part one of the crossover on the Arrow DVD (or part two on The Flash DVD), and I don't plan on buying The Flash just so I can have that first part of the crossover.

Is it bad that Joe and Eddie are my favorite characters on The Flash? I legitimately care for their well-being :p I mean, I don't even care for Barry as much as I care for these two. Barry has been sort of unlikable to me especially after figuring out that he's sort of abusing his identity as The Flash to sort of get Iris' attention and I really don't like to see him take pleasure in Iris lying to Eddie. I know Barry is only human, but it just doesn't sit well with me. Right now, Iris is making Barry a bit unlikable for me. 

Also, if Iris falls for The Flash before she falls for Barry, I think that will be a huge mistake on the writer's part and won't really have a positive effect on how I view Barry/Iris and Iris as an individual. 

• Love 3

As for right now they're great, especially Joe.

Barry is definitely enjoying it a bit much but that's really gonna explode in his face I feel.

And really...I don't think Iris is falling for The Flash...she's intrigued and there's definitely sparks there..but her romantic feelings are all for Eddie.

She lies because he already disproved of her fascination/he might be a bit protective.

heee!!! yea i totally squeaked.. Dig reaction. oh man so good... sooo, sooooo! good! DR is incredible. i'm kind of pissed they teased that though.

LOL at Cisco with the upgrade ideas, Roy calling it the Arrow Cave and Oliver pretending to be pissed off at Felicity. lol. just, LOL.

• Love 2

I think when The Flash came along the EPs decided that Arrow had to be *dark* so as to contrast with The Flash's *light*, so that's why we don't get fun moments like this one anymore. I just really wish there was more of a balance of light and dark on Arrow, like there used to be.

Also, in my opinion, by making Arrow *dark* they've sucked a lot of the fun out of it.

Edited by drspaceman10
  • Love 6

Yeah, I don't think the darkness is in response to The Flash. It's always been dark, but I think it got pretty grimdark in the last third of S2. I mean, the end of that season is just a slog through pain. Slade beats Oliver over and over and over. It was relentless. That's why I was hoping this season would actually lighten up a bit, but it's tough to do that when you murder Sara in the premiere.

My pop cultural preferences tend to veer toward dark stuff with some brightness around the edges (Orphan Black, VMars, Arrow). And I can stick with the mostly-dark stuff for awhile, but eventually I get exhausted by it (Battlestar Galactica, Luther, maybe The 100). I think Draw Back Your Bow had some brightness--Cupid herself was pretty kicky--and The Secret Origins had Donna Smoak who is actual human sunshine. Here's hoping 3B (uh, post-BC miniseries) has more of that in store.

• Love 8

I've been finding Arrow this season not that much dark, just depressing. I guess the things that were supposed to be dark on paper aren't working for me. I'm finding them either boring or embarrassing. Sara's murder is the worst whodunit I've ever seen on television; Malcolm and Thea's twisted relationship is happening almost competely offscreen; the ARGUS storyline hasn't picked up yet; even the Hong Kong flashbacks, which were supposed to show us Oliver turning into unfeeling robot killer, have been mostly played either for funnies, or for showing how incompetent Oliver is AT becoming an unfeeling robot killer.

But The Flash is actually fullfilling my dark yet fun quota of television. Imo Dr. Wells is DARK AS FUCK with the future knowledge, and the killing of anyone standing in Barry's way. And I thought Captain Cold was the darkest and most twisted villain they've come up with so far -- amoral dude who actually enjoys the game of playing with Barry's savior complex by killing rando people. That's exactly in my wheelhouse of morally ambiguous narrative.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 5

I know it has been discussed before, but Supergirl seems like a terrible fit for CBS. I know it's presumably on that channel because CBS was willing to pay a lot of money for the show, but what night are they going to put it on? It seems to me like they don't really have anything to pair it with. It will seem out of place on their schedule, and I'm not convinced it will be able to do well there, and even if it does, it'll have to do really well to get renewed.

I hope it's a great, successful show, and I know that Supergirl is fairly well known and maybe Superman fans will check it out. I just think it would have had a better shot at running for a long time on the CW, even with a reduced budget. Flash/Supergirl would make a fun night of television, even if there is some direct comic book competition with Agents of Shield.

I'm excited to see it, though. Wonder who they'll cast as Supergirl. For me, no one immediately comes to mind so they could go for an unknown actress.

At this point all you'd need to compete with Agents of Shield is Brandon Routh or Tom Welling dressed in costume and reading from a phone book. I'll watch Supergirl, 'cause I'll watch any superhero thing (except for Agents of Shield) but I can't help wishing it was Catwoman. I don't have much of a relationship with Supergirl except that really awful movie from the 90's. I wish they would just cast Laura Vandervoort. She's a hardworker she can do two shows at at time like Daniel Gillies. No problem. Well I'm off to Egypt.

Edited by slayer2

But it's always been dark.

Other than the odd few episodes, I thought Arrow was dark but with beams of light shining through it. From what I gather of this season, it's just bleak and miserable, like the tail end of season 2 was. Oliver has nothing going for him, people are dying, the wrong characters are being pushed to the front.

This crossover might be the first and last episode of the show that I watch this season. But I'm not even sure I'll bother with that. If Barry gets his arse kicked for acting like a tool to Oliver, then I'll probably give it a shot. If it's just more, 'Oliver gets verbally and emotionally beaten down because it pleases the writers', then I'll pass.

Hmm, so I wonder how long it will be before some start whining that Will Smith is playing a role that is usually white in the comics and other media (Deadshot.)  Another round of "Michael B. Jordan is Johnny Storm" going to be coming up?!

On the other hand, fanboys are no doubt going to drool over Margot Robbie playing Harley Quinn.  Of course, I'm curious about Jared Leto's take on the Joker, because you know he's still going to get compared to Heath Ledger's take from years ago. 

Er, so what was the big, shocking secret that we were supposed to find out about Oliver in the Flash portion of the crossover? I saw him run into the mother of his child at the coffee shop, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be shocking about that. I think almost everyone of us guessed that she lives in Central City. And it didn't look like he knows about the existence of the child, either, so...

Edited by strikera0

Er, so what was the big, shocking secret that we were supposed to find out about Oliver in the Flash portion of the crossover? I saw him run into the mother of his child at the coffee shop, but I'm not sure what's supposed to be shocking about that. And it didn't look like he knows about the existence of the child, so...

LOL I think that was supposed to be the shocking secret about Oliver. It's not so much a secret to the audience but maybe it's a secret for Oliver? IDK I wasn't surprised. I'm actually interested in how they're going to bring Sandra back with her kid. ALSO, I loved how vulnerable he was when he ran into her. It was a great moment for Oliver. Stephen did a great job emoting in that scene. 

• Love 3

coming off the Flash episode:

seriously we need to write those shows.

either that or we should start a fortune telling company, i feel like we'll make a shit load of money.

lol to be fair with the way they advertised it was obvious what it was going to be

• Love 1

I enjoyed the episode very very much, but I have an Arrow-related complaint, so I guess it goes here? Feel free to move it if I'm wrong, mods!

WHY DOESN'T BABY MAMA GET TO HAVE A NAME? JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, SHOW. Everyone with Wikipedia can guess her name, why is this being written like this? Are they planning on giving her ANOTHER name before the really real Baby Mama shows up and take up her rightful mantle as Baby Mama to the Heir Apparent? She's already not so much a real character but just a vessel, GIVE HER A NAME AT LEAST.

All right. Now that that is out of my system, I'm gonna go rewatch it a couple or seventeen times.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 2

And it didn't look like he knows about the existence of the child, either.

which will disappoint me.

I'm divided now. on the one hand he looked shocked to see her, on the other hand:

I loved how vulnerable he was when he ran into her. It was a great moment for Oliver.

Which makes me wonder if he does know and well... acted as if he doesn't and that's why he looked sad, and closed his eyes after they talked.. because he was hurting on the idea of not being able to be there.

FYI i was half expecting the kid to show up yelling mom, and Oliver looking all shell shock and what not.

which will disappoint me.

I'm divided now. on the one hand he looked shocked to see her, on the other hand:

Which makes me wonder if he does know and well... acted as if he doesn't and that's why he looked sad, and closed his eyes after they talked.. because he was hurting on the idea of not being able to be there.

FYI i was half expecting the kid to show up yelling mom, and Oliver looking all shell shock and what not.

I cannot express how much I hope he knows. 

Because I'm so tired of this man being kicked by life for mistakes he made eight years ago. I want him to know and I want him to be aware of what Moira did because it will be such a waste to have him be angry with her at this point when they finally made peace and she told him that she was proud of him. 

• Love 5

I enjoyed the episode very very much, but I have an Arrow-related complaint, so I guess it goes here? Feel free to move it if I'm wrong, mods!

WHY DOESN'T BABY MAMA GET TO HAVE A NAME? JESUS FUCKING CHRIST, SHOW. Everyone with Wikipedia can guess her name, why is this being written like this? Are they planning on giving her ANOTHER name before the really real Baby Mama shows up and take up her rightful mantle as Baby Mama to the Heir Apparent? She's already not so much a real character but just a vessel, GIVE HER A NAME AT LEAST.

I'm hoping the delay in giving her a name means that she's

not Sandra Hawke because I'm still pretty upset that they whitewashed another character.

• Love 1

I read him closing his eyes as him not knowing, but thinking about what could have been. Maybe if his child had been born, he never would have gotten on the gambit. Or maybe he was thinking about the loss of his child in the context of now feeling like he can never have the family he longs for.

But it's definitely open to interpretation.

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 4

also: am I the only one who both tearfully chocked and raised a WTF eyebrow when Wells told Oliver how proud is dad would be of him?

Also02: Wells totally knew who Arrow was when he talked with Felicity. I think he was testing her. for what.. only he knows.

• Love 1

also: am I the only one who both tearfully chocked and raised a WTF eyebrow when Wells told Oliver how proud is dad would be of him?

Also02: Wells totally knew who Arrow was when he talked with Felicity. I think he was testing her. for what.. only he knows.

If only something changed on the Future Newspaper of Doom to let us know.

And yeah. Oliver got it double time - Dad pride from Wells and Mom love from baby mama, how sweet 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 2

Yeah, Dig was kind of useless in this crossover but he was pretty damn funny.

Sure didn't expect Oliver's baby mama storyline to pop up on The Flash.

Anyway, great interaction between The Flash and Arrow, with a tremendous fight.

Is anyone else finding that they're falling more and more in love with Eddie after every passing episode? Ugh something bad is going to happen to him... I can totally tell. 

I think that they got me on his side after seeing him high on painkillers in the last episode.  That was hilarious.

Man, I'm glad that a lot of spoilers about these episodes didn't leak out because I think that the things that I've read were majorly overhyped.  Like, I thought the coffee scene was going to be a big deal, but it really wasn't.  I also read that this episode was hilarious, and I thought that there were funny parts, but they just seemed on par with a normal Flash episode, really.  I mean, I still really liked the episode but maybe I was expecting too much?

• Love 2