Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

LEGENDS OF TOMORROW: 6 TIME-BENDING SEASON 3 TEASES

Rip Hunter and the Time Bureau

It should come as no surprise that Rip Hunter (Arthur Darvill) doesn't fit in with the Legends anymore. The rigid former Time Master is a stickler for the rules, which is where his new crew comes in.

"In our premiere, more horrifying than dinosaurs is the prospect that the Legends are no longer needed. We quickly put to bed the threat of these dinosaurs in LA by introducing Rip Hunter and his Time Bureau," Klemmer says. "He quickly announces he's gone back in time and founded this organization that's dedicated to dealing with these anachronisms that were caused by our team."

Unlike the Legends, led by Sara Lance (Caity Lotz), the Time Bureau sticks to the rules to fix problems with the timeline. As far as Klemmer is concerned though, it's a good thing that an alternative team has arrived to show the Waverider crew the errors of their ways.

"The Legends really needed a foil. They needed somebody to remind them of just how bad they were at doing this. This season is different in that the anachronisms we're trying to fix are a direct result of what they did in last year's finale," he says. "There's a conflict of interest when you're cleaning up your own mess. I think the team's journey this season is trying to figure out what purpose they serve."

Don't Count the Legends Out

The arrival of the Time Bureau is going to mean facing a very harsh reality for the Legends.

"Our team, within the span of a minute, goes from, 'Oh God, we're going to get eaten by dinosaurs' to 'Oh God, Rip just told us we're done,'" Klemmer explains. "It's an existential crisis for our Legends. What do they do? Go back to their regular lives? And what do those lives look like?"

For most of the team, they wouldn't even know what lives to return to, as the executive producer adds, "the fact is they've been traveling through time for so long that none of them really remember who they were before they left." There is an exception though. Martin Stein (Victor Garber) has a newfound interest in his life outside of the team.

"He now has a daughter and will soon realize he has a grandbaby on the way," Klemmer reveals. "He's the only one who even yearns for a straight life. The rest of our guys, starting with the premiere, are fighting for their existence as time travelers and trying to prove to Rip they still have what it takes."

Thankfully, they aren't down for the count just yet, if only because Rip has a mission that his Time Bureau alone can't pull off.

"Once we get deeper in the season, we're going to find out there is a big bad and Rip wasn't just feeling sorry for them when he let them keep the Waverider," Klemmer teases. "He suspected there would come a time when he would need the Legends. He would need someone a little more unorthodox than his men in black Time Bureau guys. Sometimes you have to fight chaos with chaos."

About That Big Bad

"We didn't want our ultimate big bad to be human because we've had humans, we've had speedsters," Klemmer says. "We basically wanted to take all of our CG money and flush it down the toilet with a version of a non-human villain who is pulling all the strings."

So where did that money go? It's already been revealed that Gorilla Grodd will be making the jump from The Flash to Legends of Tomorrow as he builds a group of villains to combat his time traveling foes. That said, Grodd isn't the only major villain coming in Season 3.

After playing second fiddle to Reverse Flash (Matt Letscher) in Season 2, Damien Darhk is back and he's different. Instead of being a past version of the character plucked from the timeline, this is the Damien that waged war on Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) on Arrow and paid for it with his life.

How does he make his return? That bit of information is a secret. However, Klemmer does tease, "we wanted him to be darker. We wanted to lean into his dark magical powers." That means the version of Darhk the Legends will be battling has retained at least some of his magic powers from Arrow and that's going to help in shaping the season.

"We wanted the big bad to be much more drawing from the world of the supernatural and the occult,” he says. "We wanted to have the backdrop of a horror movie. It seemed like Damien Darhk, that's a fun side of him to explore."

Amaya vs. Her Own Granddaughter

One of the people joining Grodd and Darhk on their mission to destroy the Legends has a truly heartbreaking connection to one of our heroes. Kuasa (Tracy Ifeachor) was first introduced as the granddaughter of Amaya (Maisie Richardson-Sellers) in the Vixen animated series and will make her live action debut in Season 3. Pitting Amaya against her own granddaughter is bound to make things much more difficult for her.

"She starts to realize that not only is history more complicated and nuanced and shades of grey, but so is her family's legacy," Klemmer explains. "That's our overarching theme -- realizing a lot of history is really awful. If it's just their job to return history to the status quo, does that make them culpable?"

The Crossover Will Be Tough for the Legends

This year's crossover features the wedding of Barry (Grant Gustin) and Iris (Candice Patton) from The Flash, which should be a happy occasion. For the team though, it's going to be a bit rough going.

"The crossover is a hard dose of reality," Klemmer says. "We do have some really fun episodes. We have an Amblin alien that young Ray discovers in the '80s. We have Helen of Troy in Hollywood, a wacky Caper in the '30s. The crossover is a reminder that it's not all a big lark. There are some evils that really take a personal toll on our team."

The event also takes a toll on producers every year, as they try to coordinate the schedules for four different shows worth of cast and crew to create one big event. This time around though, the event sounds more seamless than ever.

"The crossover for us, it's not a Legends episode. It's not an anything episode," he explains. "Last year I felt like each of the shows maintained their spirit with other characters. This year we made a real concerted effort to make it an amalgam of all the shows. It's something unto itself and that's the thing that's really cool and really scary about it. It's not four episodes of TV. It's like a movie."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/10/08/legends-of-tomorrow-6-time-bending-season-3-teases

• Love 2

Posted in the Legends Spoilers thread.

CONSTANTINE IS COMING TO DC’S LEGENDS OF TOMORROW

This paragraph was interesting:

There is also a strong link between Constantine and Sara Lance, since he helped her body reunite with her soul to complete her resurrection. We wouldn’t be shocked at all if Sara raises the possibility of doing the same thing for her sister, Laurel Lance. Considering that Katie Cassidy is once again a series regular on Arrow, Laurel’s return is not entirely out of the question.

Lol.  I don't think that's happening, but I suppose hope springs eternal.

• Love 6

"We wanted the big bad to be much more drawing from the world of the supernatural and the occult,” he says. "We wanted to have the backdrop of a horror movie."

Ugh.  Well that just threw a big bucket of cold water on my Legends enthusiasm.  As a general rule, I do not enjoy supernatural, occult, and horror.  There's been a few exceptions (BtVS for example), but mostly those are genres I tend to stay away from.  It's not something I really care for. :(

6 minutes ago, Chaser said:

I think Arrow, LOT and SG are going to be in the 0.5 to 0.7 range. Arrow and LOT in the lower end with SG barely making the 0.7.

No clue where The Flash will end up. 

Arrow, Legends, and Supergirl all had the same 0.5, 0.6., 0.5, 0.6 pattern for their last four episodes (at least if you're looking at the tenths of a point.  If you look at the hundredths shown on TVSeriesFinale, there's a bit more variation).

• Love 1

There is also a strong link between Constantine and Sara Lance, since he helped her body reunite with her soul to complete her resurrection. We wouldn’t be shocked at all if Sara raises the possibility of doing the same thing for her sister, Laurel Lance. Considering that Katie Cassidy is once again a series regular on Arrow, Laurel’s return is not entirely out of the question.

I guess it's not out of the question but LL did have a sainted send off with Sara in the LOT finale, there has been nothing teased about the possibility of a Sara/Siren meet up in the crossover and no teasing of either her or E1 LL in LOT, which indicates to me both a lack of immediate interest in getting her to guest star and no plans for it pre Christmas break. I could be wrong though. Sara might talking about Laurel and I hope she has the opportunity to thank him/discuss her own resurrection which she wasn't able to do at the time.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, Velocity23 said:

I am wondering who is the baby daddy of Lily Steins baby.

I caught that too.  I don't think it's anyone from the ship, but I guess that rules out Lily replacing her father on the crew (and probably also sinks the Ray/Lily ship - too bad!)

• Love 2

Laurel will probably get a mention but the vibe I've gotten from LOT is they have zero desire to have KC on the show in any form. 

I watched the SG clip. That was uncomfortable. When she made the comment about being better than humans...yikes. It reminded me of a scene in Buffy when she was arguing with Xander and says that she's the Slayer, the law. SMG conveyed such heartbreak and frustration it worked. MB just came across as a brat. 

Edited by Chaser
  • Love 6
15 hours ago, wingster55 said:

Except....only half so. And the sister remark is bullshit and seeping with racism. 

Genuine question, why is that remark of itself seeped with racism? The tone and time the phrase takes is the same for "work acquaintances" and "top 5 fastest men alive, they don't call any attention to Joe or Iris's race. It might well have been the same if the Wests were white. I do think that for me a part of the Sister-fiancée thing is not due to the Barry/Iris relationship but Joe's relationship with Barry. Joe acts like his priorities are Barry...Wally.....Male kids he might have in the future........................Iris" which skews the whole thing more than the fact that Barry and Iris shared a bathroom in some gawky teenage circumstances

I don't think the show has ever seriously moved away from WestAllen. Patty was a classic ship stall, and served one purpose, to prove Barry wasn't a virgin once he and Iris got together. If she'd had better chemistry with him they might have kept her a bit longer but she was never intended as a permanent character. Linda Park could have been another option if they had wanted other options in S2, but whilst she was a good person who seemed delighted to have made out with The Flash, there wasn't any hint of romance.

• Love 2
26 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I caught that too.  I don't think it's anyone from the ship, but I guess that rules out Lily replacing her father on the crew (and probably also sinks the Ray/Lily ship - too bad!)

Unfortunately I think that ship was sunk when Zari was announced, but they where cute in the scenes they had together. Lily being pregnant is one of the reasons Stein is thinking of leaving the Waverider?

• Love 1

I doubt they want both Laurel and Black Siren around on Arrow. The LoT EP's don't seem to want Laurel on their show and why would they, they have the best Lance sister already. 

I'm sure Sara will mention it and Constintine will say no because he doesn't like bringing people back from the dead. Usually that kind of magic comes with a price. She was already brought back so he helped finish the job. Since they kept telling how saintly Laurel was, Constintine can say she's in a better place. They never said where Sara was but being an assassin probably landed her in the bad place. Maybe Constintine and Sara can talk about being in hell and make a Easter egg mention of Lucifer being that's it's also a DC property. 

• Love 3

Considering that the new showrunners wrote Falling, the episode where Kara on Red K accuses Alex of secretly resenting her, I wouldn't be surprised if they wrote a more stormy/ups&down version of the Alex/Kara relationship (the writer for the premiere also wrote the episode where imo Alex comes across as kinda jealous of Superman and prevents Kara from moving to Metropolis to be closer to him). 

People have analyzed it and it's pretty sure that it's Alex/Maggie because you can see their engagement rings. 

They are also rumored to have break up sex in 3x05. 

Edited by tofutan

I said that wrong it was more like they kissed but it was tame IIRC.  I'm actually surprised that anyone on this show is getting a love scene but I would've expected it to be Kara/Mon-el before anyone else. 

Edited by Oreo2234

According to a release by Warner Bros., Matt Ryan will reprise his role as Constantine in the third season of Legends of Tomorrow. The character will have a part in episodes nine and ten. No other details were given about the hero’s role in the series, but fans can look forward to seeing an extended storyline for the character.

• Love 3

Matt Ryan will reprise his role of demon hunter John Constantine for a two-episode arc on Legends of Tomorrow this season.

"Having Matt Ryan reprise his iconic — dare we say legendary — role of John Constantine on Legends is something that [executive producer] Marc [Guggenheim] and I have been working toward since season one, and now the stars have finally aligned," executive producer Phil Klemmer tells The Hollywood Reporter. "While we are working to finish our 2017 Arrow-verse crossover, which is no joke the most ambitious bit of network TV that four shows have ever had the audacity and insanity to endeavor, we were looking for a way to make an equally exciting 2018 return. That’s how we came up with Matt Ryan."

Ryan played the iconic DC Comics character for one season on NBC's since-canceled live-action Constantine and later appeared in season four of Arrow. He will appear in episodes nine and 10 of Legends of Tomorrow season three, which will take place chronologically after his appearance on Arrow. And to hear Klemmer tell it, his appearance is sure to shake things up on the Greg Berlanti-produced comic book series.

"As for the character of Constantine, we knew that an alienated, chain-smoking, bisexual, world-weary demonologist would feel right at home among our Legends," Klemmer says. "His appearance in episode 310 will involve the following: a revisiting of Arrow season four and the events following that season’s finale episode; a confrontation with this season’s Big Bad on Legends — the name we’ve only heard whispered until now Mallus; some hot sex — something that has been in short supply on the Waverider thus far in season three; and Damien Darhk (Neil McDonough), because how can you do an episode about dark magic and not have Damien Darhk? More than anything, the episode promises to be scary as you know what — tonally it’s The Exorcist meets One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest. Demonic possession in a mental institution, what’s not to love?"

Ryan will also lend his voice to the CW Seed animated series Constantine, debuting on the digital platform in early 2018, which is around when his Legends of Tomorrow two-part arc will air. So fans still lamenting Constantine's early cancelation in 2015 will have a lot to celebrate in the new year.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/matt-ryan-constantine-legends-tomorrow-2-part-arc-1047123

New LOT promo

• Love 4

Supergirl Boss Previews a 'Lot More' Sister Scenes, Reign's Rise, Lena's Foe and One 'Raw, Amazing' Episode

Season 3 of The CW’s Supergirl is readying for takeoff (tonight at 8/7c), but before you reconnect with Kara, Alex, J’onn et al, there are just a few more things showrunner Andrew Kreisberg wants you to know.

TVLine hopped on the phone with the EP to get his latest read on the new season, its pleasant surprises, new romances and the emotional episode they hope will be “well-remembered.”

Edited by Starfish35
28 minutes ago, EmilyBettFan said:

I've been waiting for seemingly forver for CL to post something from the crossover filming and then it's not even her posting? I'm shocked and disappointed.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Shethority is CL's project. So she may have found a way to post without it being on her personal account. Lol. 

Aha! I wondered who this person is since I see photos of her with CP and their dogs posted 2 days ago. Presumably also from filming the crossover.

• Love 1

"His appearance in episode 310 will involve the following: a revisiting of Arrow season four and the events following that season’s finale episode; a confrontation with this season’s Big Bad on Legends — the name we’ve only heard whispered until now Mallus; some hot sex — something that has been in short supply on the Waverider thus far in season three;

Are there any bi- or homosexual male characters on this show or is Constantine going to hook up with one of the girls (Sara or Zari)? 

15 minutes ago, strikera0 said:

Are there any bi- or homosexual male characters on this show or is Constantine going to hook up with one of the girls (Sara or Zari)? 

None of the guys have shown a bi or gay tendency. I can't see any of the guys being able to deal with Constantine if it's a new direction for them. Who knows. Maybe Mick is bi since he was super close to Snart? Or maybe it is the new version of Snart?

• Love 1

I could see Mick handling whatever Constantine wanted to throw him, to be honest. I always thought it believable that Mick would sleep with anyone who was interested in doing so simply because he wouldn't care about the person or their plumbing any more than he'd care about using a sex toy. They'd literally be just tools he uses to get off. So maybe technically bi, but not like Sara (who is sexually and sometimes romantically invested in her partners even when it's a casual hookup).

I do believe Purcell would be willing to play it, but I'd be shocked if the writers were willing to go there.

Edited by Miss Dee
Spelling
  • Love 2

I'm not going to bother with Supergirl, last season was way too annoying for my tastes. Still on the Fence with the Flash I will probably watch to see how Barry gets out of his mess and gets forgiven by everyone. 

The episode was better than I was expecting after that awful preview argument.  

I had to laugh when at the end when they transitioned a dream vision of Kara's mom into some horrible demon monster.  It's a personal bit of pleasure since I really don't like the actress they recast to play her so I was amused. 

Supergirl got a much better statue than BC. 

• Love 4

Yeah I liked the premiere too. A lot of Kara/Alex, Alex/J'onn, Kara/J'onn, Kara/Lena; Winn eavesdropping on Sanvers made me laugh out loud, and somebody finally remembered James was a real character. Also liked Odette Anabelle's debut and Cat's new gig.

• Love 2

That Legends trailer is amazing. That shot of Snart and Mick from the trailer, is that an old scene? Kinda looked like one of Mick's visions from the last season. 

Maybe they'll do Sara/Constantine sex and that is their contribution to showing Sara more bisexual this season? Still, feels kinda weird if Sara sleeps with "name" characters in both the crossover and then in episode 10. 

Love the trailer for the next episode of Supergirl. Looks very cool. 

I've always wanted to see Supergirl go up against more mind power villains. 

• Love 1

Genuine question, why is that remark of itself seeped with racism?

Because, in all honesty, I never hear that term thrown around for white - white pairings. But interracial (especially when one is black)? Constantly. Iris and Barry. Rey and Finn. Rick and Michonne. 

20 minutes ago, wingster55 said:

Because, in all honesty, I never hear that term thrown around for white - white pairings. But interracial (especially when one is black)? Constantly. Iris and Barry. Rey and Finn. Rick and Michonne. 

I've seen people call Olicity incestuous. 

There are also lots of interracial couples that don't get called incestuous,  Lyla and Diggle, Iris and Eddie, Jimmy and Kara, Jimmy and Lucy Lane, Olivia and Fitz, Olivia and Jake (Scandal), Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, Nate and Amara, Wally and Jesse, Abby and Ichabod (Sleepy Hallow) to name a few.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 15

I've genuinely heard people call Kara and Mon-El incestuous based solely on the fact that they are maybe kind of the same species? Except they come literally from different planets. It's like arguing that it's incestuous for an American to have a relationship with somebody from Germany. 

People grasp at some weird straws when they hate something. 

• Love 6

Polls for Flash and Legends premieres tonight:

Guess the ratings for The Flash Season 4 premiere

Guess the ratings for the Legends of Tomorrow Season 3 premiere

----

The Flash premiered with a 1.3 last season, but the ratings for its last four episodes were 1.0, 1.0, 0.9, and 1.1.

The Flash Season 3 ratings at SpottedRatings.com

The Flash Season 3 ratings at TVSeriesFinale.com

Legends premiered (in the Thursday 8:00 pm timeslot, before moving at midseason) with a 0.6 last season, and the ratings for its last four episodes were 0.5, 0.6, 0.5, and 0.6.

Legends Season 2 ratings at SpottedRatings.com

Legends Season 2 ratings at TVSeriesFinale.com

----

The Supergirl poll is here for any last minute guesses.

7 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I've seen people call Olicity incestuous. 

There are also lots of interracial couples that don't get called incestuous,  Lyla and Diggle, Iris and Eddie, Jimmy and Kara, Jimmy and Lucy Lane, Olivia and Fitz, Olivia and Jake (Scandal), Jessica Jones and Luke Cage, Nate and Amara, Wally and Jesse, Abby and Ichabod (Sleepy Hallow) to name a few.

It's obviously not going to be applicable to every single interracial pairing out there. As it relates to the DCTV ones you listed...those are side pairings. That makes it "acceptable" to some. 

Are Nate/Amaya or Ray/Kendra/Carter really sidepairings? Legends doesn't really have a main pairing, but within the context of Legends, they were kind of the largest romantic pairings. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 6

The Flash cast teases Barry's return from the Speed Force
NATALIE ABRAMS OCTOBER 9, 2017 
http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/09/flash-season-4-spoilers-barry-speed-force/

That’s all part and parcel of the show leaning back toward its season 1 roots in tone. “The producers and writers are pretty hands-on this season about changing the tone of the show and getting back to a lot of the humor that we had in season 1,” Patton says. “I’ll even venture to say that there’s way more than even season 1, just in terms of the lightheartedness and jokes and funny scenarios that happen on the show. It’s really fun. I know me and Grant have had a couple of those scenes where it’s just been him and I, and we’ve both gotten to really put our comedy chops on the line. I’ve spent three seasons crying so much, and I haven’t really gotten to do a lot of that lighthearted stuff, so it’s really fun. We’re trying to go back to this more lighthearted comic-book-y version of The Flash.

Edited by tv echo