Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

She's only 5'4'' - why do they keep casting these short actresses opposite Chris Hemsworth?...

Tessa Thompson Joins The Marvel Universe In ‘Thor: Ragnarok’
by Anita Busch  April 11, 2016 10:5
http://deadline.com/2016/04/tessa-thompson-joins-the-marvel-universe-thor-ragnarok-1201735551/

Tessa Thompson (Creed) has entered the Marvel Universe. The young actress first will star opposite Natalie Portman in Alex Garland’s Annihilation then segue to the third installment of the Thor franchise as Chris Hemsworth’s love interest. That film is expected to start production at the end of July.

Sources tell Deadline that Thompson’s character in Thor: Ragnarok will be a kind of superhero and will appear in other Marvel films as well. Thompson is a regular opposite Anthony Hopkins on HBO’s drama series Westworld, which resumed production this week.

Thor: Ragnarok is being directed by Taika Waititi and also stars Tom Hiddleston, Cate Blanchett, Jamie Alexander, Mark Ruffalo and Lou Ferrigno. It’s scheduled for release November 3, 2017.

tessa-thompson.jpg?crop=0px%2C155px%2C24

Edited by tv echo

I guess my question is why does Thor even need a love interest for this film? If Natalie Portman doesn't want to be involved (which is what I've read), just say that Jane is...:somewhere else. Or use Sif, although as previously noted Blindspot might be affecting JA's availability. Wouldn't that have been negotiated up front though? She was involved with the Thor movies long before Blindspot came along.

Anyway. I get that it's some sort of movie rule that the hero must have a love interest, but the whole replacement love interest thing I find kind of silly.

• Love 7

Surprisingly for me the LI storyline was what made Thor weaker movies IMO. I really hope Lady Sif gets to be featured more. Blindspot isn't worth it!

I really am looking forward to Batman lego movie. 

I love Jane and Thor in the first movie but didn't care so much in the second.  I don't need Thor to have a love interest in his third movie - but I would like to see more of Sif.

Honestly - I'd rather see Enchantress as a fake love interest that gets rejected than a new one altogether.

• Love 1

A really great article: 

Enough With the Canon

ASHER ELBEIN

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/04/enough-with-the-true-canon/477837/?utm_source=SFTwitter

There’s only one problem with true canon: It doesn’t exist. And in an effort to hold people to it, enthusiasts strangle criticism, hamstring creators, and make fan communities far more toxic for everybody.

The addition of corporate canon gave fan communities a clergy, and the more companies catered to that demographic, the more powerful these clergies grew. Fans who claimed to know the most about official canons considered themselves the most important—and they often used their knowledge to both bully those they considered insufficiently serious and to shut down criticism and disagreement. (Among the favored techniques: accuse people of faking an interest, question their dedication to material, demand detailed citations for any contrary opinion.) These fans dedicated themselves to their invented universes and defended them against everybody, including their creators. Media companies soon discovered that their audiences were in a constant state of revolt, particularly when creators tried to alter established “facts.” Newcomers often found the entire business completely impenetrable.

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 20

I was just gonna post that link. This is pretty fucking ninja, and one of the best things I've ever seen written about what "canon" means. [And thank you, The Atlantic writer, for pointing out the idea of "canon" emerged in fandom, not in the actual creators of canon.]

• Love 10

Am I the only one who doesn't care for Sif in the Thor movies? She feels like such an afterthought in both of them, and I'm not convinced I would even remember her name if I didn't enjoy her first guest spot on Agents of Shield. I'll be interested to see who Tessa Thompson is playing since I've liked her since Veronica Mars, but mostly I'm hoping that Jane's absence doesn't exclude Darcy from Thor 3 because I love Kat Dennings and thought she slotted into the comic relief role nicely.

Veronica Mars is actually why I don't like her. I'm not sure if I've seen her in anything else. She's not a bad actress, but I really disliked her character (though I warmed up to her a bit before she left). But I remember when they said she was in the running to play Iris and I was like "no no no no no!"

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3

A really great article: 

Enough With the Canon

ASHER ELBEIN

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2016/04/enough-with-the-true-canon/477837/?utm_source=SFTwitter

There’s only one problem with true canon: It doesn’t exist. And in an effort to hold people to it, enthusiasts strangle criticism, hamstring creators, and make fan communities far more toxic for everybody.

I want to print this part have it laminated.

Edited by lemotomato

I've been catching up on AoS. I watched the Watchdogs episode last night.

I've never been on the Skye/Daisy hate train, but wow was she getting on my nerves in that episode. Is this the beginning of a bad trend with her, or was that just a bad episode (for her - it was a great episode for Mack)?

• Love 1

Grrr. site ate my post.  So this is the condensed version.

I like Jane Foster.  :(  If they are getting a new love interest, they better kill JF rather than have them just break up.  At least give me a tragic death and a perfect love frozen forever (I know, inset gagging sound but his mom died protecting her, you can't just have them grow apart)

Tessa Thompson.  My first reaction was, crap, I hated her on Veronica Mars but then I remembered, Oh yeah, I liked her by the end.  Just hard to remember the last part over the first part.  I mean, I REALLY hated her at first.  Caramel macchiato this beeyotch!   

Also, Supergirl.  I worry about the ratings but it is still doing a lot better than AoS.  Still, stupid of them to put a hiatus right after the Flash crossover.  Though I guess anyone really interested in watching would probably just peace out and start it from the beginning.  Need the show to be renewed so they can do some tinkering over the summer and fix what isn't working. 

• Love 3

I like Jane Foster.  :(  If they are getting a new love interest, they better kill JF rather than have them just break up.  At least give me a tragic death and a perfect love frozen forever (I know, inset gagging sound but his mom died protecting her, you can't just have them grow apart)

I agree.

Tessa Thompson.  My first reaction was, crap, I hated her on Veronica Mars but then I remembered, Oh yeah, I liked her by the end.  Just hard to remember the last part over the first part.  I mean, I REALLY hated her at first.  Caramel macchiato this beeyotch!   

Hahahaha yeah this is me. It's always hard to remember that I eventually came around on her, because I disliked her so much at first.

Also, Supergirl.  I worry about the ratings but it is still doing a lot better than AoS.  Still, stupid of them to put a hiatus right after the Flash crossover.  Though I guess anyone really interested in watching would probably just peace out and start it from the beginning.  Need the show to be renewed so they can do some tinkering over the summer and fix what isn't working.

I think it probably will be renewed. It can't be doing anywhere near what CBS hoped for it, but I think it is still their highest rated new show. Their new shows haven't done that great this year.

Also, Supergirl.  I worry about the ratings but it is still doing a lot better than AoS.

Supergirl is in Season 1, AoS is in S3 and it's ratings are only 2 tenths lower, that's not exactly a ringing endorsement for Supergirl.  Not to mention that CBS is a better rated network than ABC so the requirements would be higher on CBS for a renewal than ABC.  

However, that doesn't mean Supergirl won't get renewed, it probably will but, don't be surprised if Supergirl doesn't get a S3 renewal, at this rate it could very well go fractional by the end of S2.

Well I think Supergirl could fix a few things by season two that might help it grow. I kind of hope CBS keeps it a little bit longer just to be able to brag about having a "female superhero show" on network television. Besides, it can't be totally lost on them that lots and lots of critics and fans said the Supergirl/Flash crossover was what BvS should have been.

If they gave Supergirl three seasons - I think it would be enough to give another female-led show a chance someday (though it might be better to go with the shorter seasons like Peggy Carter and JJ).

• Love 2

Tessa Thompson is the one reason I would watch a superhero movie. I adore her, have done since Veronica Mars, she was great in Selma too.

I don't know how Supergirl never gets question on promoting themselves as a female lead show for all girls, when the show only shows a certain type of woman. I mean I know the answer is bad journalism but still it's annoying.

Tessa Thompson is the one reason I would watch a superhero movie. I adore her, have done since Veronica Mars, she was great in Selma too.

I don't know how Supergirl never gets question on promoting themselves as a female lead show for all girls, when the show only shows a certain type of woman. I mean I know the answer is bad journalism but still it's annoying.

I'm not sure that they have promoted themselves that way, but I don't agree that they only show one type of woman.  I think Cat, Kara, Alex, and Lucy are all different from each other.

I'm not sure that they have promoted themselves that way, but I don't agree that they only show one type of woman.  I think Cat, Kara, Alex, and Lucy are all different from each other.

• Love 1

With Supergirl and CBS, it may also be affected by whether CBS wants to reach out to a different audience.

Almost all of their dramas are procedurals that pretty much hit the same notes and the same audience (NCIS, NCIS:LA, NCIS:NO, Criminals Minds, Criminal Minds Beyond Borders, Hawaii-50, CSI Cyber, Blue Bloods, Elementary, Limitless, Scorpion, Person of Interest) or soapy machinations (The Good Wife, Madame Secretary) so if they want to appeal to a younger, more diverse audience, they may keep Supergirl to see if they can break through with that.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 4

Thing is, I could easily see Limitless appealing to young people, but this show has really, really bad marketing. I think it could become a modest hit on another network and with better marketing.

• Love 1

I read a LoT review and I have two things to say.

1. Anna Deveare Smith! OMG, Nancy McNally, I <3 you. From what I've seen of Kendra, she wishes she would grow up to become Anna. Is there a way to incorporate her in Arrow? She can be a descendent.

2. That sort of blows a whole in the Rip is Oliver's great-great-nephew theory.

It was awesome to see Anna Deveare Smith again.  They didn't use her enough though.

2. That sort of blows a whole in the Rip is Oliver's great-great-nephew theory.

That was always a fan theory though.  When someone pointed out that Rip's son was Jonas and made the connection to Oliver, MG was all "great connection but no, he's not named after Oliver Queen."

• Love 2

I think it's funny, bc I'm mean-spirited like that, that critics are pretty much slavering over Cap: CW. But, but, per DC BvS fans, I thought critics were soooooo unfair to superhero movies?!?!?!?

I am not sure I'm going to watch it, though. I LOVE Winter Soldier, but

does anyone know if Civil War is following the comics storyline, in which they're fighting bc of the superhero registration law? Bc I don't like that storyline...didn't like it in comics and don't want to see it in the movie.

• Love 1

I think it's funny, bc I'm mean-spirited like that, that critics are pretty much slavering over Cap: CW. But, but, per DC BvS fans, I thought critics were soooooo unfair to superhero movies?!?!?!?

They're being paid off by Disney, y'know. Every positive critic. It's a grand conspiracy :P

Seriously, though, I thought there was a review embargo? Or are you gathering this from the reviewers' social media?

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1

They're being paid off by Disney, y'know. Every positive critic. It's a grand conspiracy :P

Seriously, though, I thought there was a review embargo? Or are you gathering this from the reviewers' social media?

I know, right! All these respected critics are taking the money Disney has offered to, apparently, EVERY respected critic to trash DC movies and slobber over most Marvel movies, instead of, you know, blowing the lid off Disney's massive multi-million dollar conspiracy to pay off critics, thereby winning a Pulitzer.

That makes PERFECT sense.

I hadn't heard about a review embargo, but a number of critics tweeted how awesome it is. So maybe no official reviews, but mentions were allowed?

Edited by AyChihuahua

The review embargo was lifted a few days ago which imo showed their confidence in the movie. It's currently at 94% with 18 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm trying to stay away from most spoilers, but from what I have read, the conflict makes sense and both sides are "right." I don't know how or if it adheres closely to the source material. I want to say no, though, based on what I can remember seeing. It's also not Avengers 3 which was another concern I've seen.

Or what apinknightmare said seconds before me! /cursetheseslowfingers

Edited by calliope1975
  • Love 1

I know it was a fan theory and it's not something I'm attached to one way or another. Did they say why the kid isn't named Jonah then?

I don't think Rip answered when Ray asked if his son was named after Jonah Hex but I seem to recall MG confirming it in tweets after the pilot.

• Love 2

I don't think Rip answered when Ray asked if his son was named after Jonah Hex but I seem to recall MG confirming it in tweets after the pilot.

Gosh, Miranda must be really understanding to let him name their son after his ex. Or maybe that's just how they roll in the 22nd century.

Edited by Lokiberry
  • Love 4

Gosh, Miranda must be really understanding to let him name their son after his ex. Or maybe that's just how they roll in the 22nd century.

Lol. Glad I'm not the only one who was picking up the ex-lovers vibe from those two.

• Love 3

Lol. Glad I'm not the only one who was picking up the ex-lovers vibe from those two.

I didn't.. really?

I'm still going with the theory that Rip is a descendent of Oliver and Felicity or the Queen/Dearden family- were we ever told if Moira and Robert had any siblings or other family members?

I thought it was pretty clear from this episode that Rip named his son Jonas after Jonah Hex. MG said long ago that him being named Jonas had nothing to do with Oliver, but that there was a reason for the name that we would find out.

That said, I doubt the whole exes vibe was intentional. But....it really was coming across that way to me. Even TVLine picked up on it, in their Friday TV Questions column.

20 | Did Legends of Tomorrow's Rip and Jonah give off a, um, more-than-frenemies vibe? (Just us…?)

http://tvline.com/2016/04/15/nashville-season-4-characters-exit-tv-questions-answers/
  • Love 3

That said, I doubt the whole exes vibe was intentional. But....it really was coming across that way to me. Even TVLine picked up on it, in their Friday TV Questions column.

Yeah, I was chuckling about that too.  There wasn't anything flirty between, unresolved or otherwise IMO but the story we were sold, that Rip was so super in love with the old west because it gave him chances to play hero didn't completely ring true.  I'd have believed that with Ray but Rip was already a Time Master.  He already knew and accepted the rules.  And the way he talked about choosing to go or giving up his future wife made it sound like he had another option that was making him think about staying.  Add in how well Hex knew him and the hurt feelings between them, yeah, the vibe was strong even though I don't think either gave off a romantic vibe for each other, just everything had the corresponding emotional weight as if it was a pair of estranged lovers. 

• Love 4

Future Hex. I could ship it. And do. He has the man's coat for Christ's sake.

Yeah, that line. "My coat looks good on you." I'm like "okaaaay then."

How about HexHunter? (For a ship name - I have no idea what they're calling it on Tumblr)

Speaking of ship names, what is fandom going with for Sara/Snart? Cold Canary or Captain Canary? I'm seeing both.

• Love 3

I didn't get that vibe at all. 

Speaking of ship names, what is fandom going with for Sara/Snart? Cold Canary or Captain Canary? I'm seeing both.

I think Captain Canary is more accepted, but I'm not really into fandom, the show has yet to win me over.

They use Captain Canary, but I like Cold Canary better because some people ship Rip and Sara and Captain Canary sounds like its more for them.  But me? I'm down with HunterHex. I felt more from them than I did from the flashbacks to his wife and I actually liked her. There was just something about Jonah an Rip. 

I could ship Cold Canary, but it seems like I'm shipping Cold with everyone - Barry, Ray, and so on. Heck, he might even be able to bring out some chemistry in Kendra if they let them hang out for a bit.

• Love 1

Yeah everyone loves Captain Cold. :) It's funny. If you go to the LoT section on AO3 and check the relationship filters, the top four pairings are, in order, 1) ColdWave, 2) ColdCanary, 3) ColdFlash, and 4) ColdAtom. Nyssara is #5, but it's further down than you might think.

• Love 1

I missed the Hex & Rip ex lovers vibe... I never liked the actor that plays Hex, so that probably had a lot to do with it since I didn't care about the majority of his scenes.

I did cringe a little when SL started flirting with Rory because I think there might be little rumblings of perhaps a love triangle there with some revenge if they wanted to pursue it ~ I just hope they don't go there.

I just don't really ship any couple on LoT, so I'm not invested in any particular couple one way or the other so long as it doesn't distract the show.

My biggest regret of the most recent LoT is that they underused Anna Deavre Smith, so I'm a little bummed they cast her well but then barely wrote for her. Although that seems to be a trend amongst the Flarrowverse to get great actors and then under utilize them. :(

Huh. It never occurred to me that Sara was flirting with Mick. Well, anymore than she flirts with anyone. :)

I don't really ship anyone on LoT yet either, to be honest. I have been supportive of Ray/Kendra, but I'm not here for the love triangle, and that's making me somewhat less supportive.

ColdCanary/CaptainCanary is something I'm still on the fence about. Sara and Snart have great chemistry, and I think done right it might be good, but I'm cautious with these writers' track record on writing relationships. I don't want them to screw up my two favorite characters.

• Love 2

I think the Rip/Sara ship is called Time Canary or something. That one hasn't taken off as much. Wentworth and Caity have said they are adding little things to the Sara and Snart interaction, that seems to be the one they are going for.  

I didn't get real flirty vibes from Sara and Mick. Sara just kind of looks like she's flirting with everyone when she's just talking to them. It could look like she was flirting with Kendra as well. I think that's just how Sara is. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I think Sara just has a natural intimacy with people in most of her scenes, not really flirty. But I think that's something Caity is doing without realizing that she's bringing something that intimate into her scenes. She's very good about maintaining eye contact. Either way, I love it.

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 4