Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

With the locations of the cities, Supergirl's National City seems to be in California. Star City is probably Washington and I'm thinking Central City may be in Nevada to keep them all on the West Coast. 

I think it's been established that Central City is also in California but just not as big as National City.  National City would be more like an LA (minus the Hollywood) while Central is more like a Sacramento, a descent sized city but not as big.   

I saw the Flash episode late.  I am all mixed up to what day it is but I do have Arrow on right now lol!  Anyway, I just wanted to say that I loved our first glimpse of Hawkgirl and can't wait for the crossover event!

And I still can't believe how awesome it is that there is a pretty decent live action representation of Supergirl on television and several female heroes in development on the WB.  Just such a great time for our girls to grow up!

Is it weird that I think actually Arrow pulled off the "we need to have this conversation alone" thing way better than the Flash did yesterday (Diggle asking Felicity so he can talk to Oliver to leave vs Barry asking Iris to leave so he can talk to Joe)? Iris is so excluded that it's annoying to me that Barry got freaking pissy when she actually made an effort to be in the loop. It's not like he needed to have the same freaking conversation with Joe for the 1000th time. Maybe it was Felicity's response or something? Iris came off like a kicked puppy. 

Edited by hogwash

Yeah, I think the Arrow scene worked partly because Felicity usually is included, and because her original reason for staying seemed to be that she wanted to make sure that Oliver and Diggle wouldn't fight. After Oliver looked at her, letting her know it would be all right, she left.

• Love 5

Is it weird that I think actually Arrow pulled off the "we need to have this conversation alone" thing way better than the Flash did yesterday (Diggle asking Felicity so he can talk to Oliver to leave vs Barry asking Iris to leave so he can talk to Joe)? Iris is so excluded that it's annoying to me that Barry got freaking pissy when she actually made an effort to be in the loop. It's not like he needed to have the same freaking conversation with Joe for the 1000th time. Maybe it was Felicity's response or something? Iris came off like a kicked puppy. 

Part of the problem with asking Iris to leave was there was no real good reason for it whereas Oliver and DIggle do need to reaffirm their brotherly love.  With Iris, it just felt to me like, go away, I need to talk to Daddy.  Iris is too disconnected as it is and it was once again a missed opportunity.  Oh, but later she knew to call Barry's real dad.  She's still not what Barry needs, but hey, at least she knows him well enough to know it!

• Love 2

Making Iris a reporter rather than a psychologist as they want to initially was such a bad decision on their parts.  It really is simliar to their Laurel mistake, that once she was no longer a love interest (as Iris isn't this season), they don't know what to do with her.

Is it weird that I think actually Arrow pulled off the "we need to have this conversation alone" thing way better than the Flash did yesterday (Diggle asking Felicity so he can talk to Oliver to leave vs Barry asking Iris to leave so he can talk to Joe)?

Partly it may have been because Felicity at first said nope, I'm going to be here for this conversation, and then when she realized it was a bro thing, she left.

There was no real need for Iris to be excluded yet again and it seems that Joe's forgotten that she's his bio kid and Barry is just fostered. I swear, sometimes I think if it came to a Joe's Choice between Iris and Barry, he'd pick Barry.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 2

I think the problem with Iris this past episode plays into the idea that others have stated - the writers are more interested in the this father/son bonds between Barry and Joe than anything else on the show. And when they aren't doing Barry/Joe, they have some other father/son note they are hitting like Barry/his dad, Barry/Wells, Cisco/Wells, Grodd/Wells!!!!!  I mean, ok, it's getting as old as the male crying thing.  Flash is getting overwhelmed in the man pain! and male bonding! like no other show ever does.  We get it.  These guys aren't afraid to feel or cry.  Now give it a rest already.

Anyway, in an episode where Iris correctly identifies a) what is wrong with Barry, b) who can fix it, and c) goes out and brings that person in to fix it - all without talking to him because he won't talk to her - the girl at least deserved a "thank you so much Iris, no one knows me better than you hug."

• Love 7

Man, Supergirl is really going overboard with the love triangle stuff (or love polygon, maybe?).  Just read that 

the show is adding Melissa Benoist's husband to the cast as a possible love interest for her character. So there's Jimmy, Winn, and Blake Jenner's new character as potential romantic interests? Too much, Supergirl. Too much.

Man, Supergirl is really going overboard with the love triangle stuff (or love polygon, maybe?).  Just read that 

the show is adding Melissa Benoist's husband to the cast as a possible love interest for her character. So there's Jimmy, Winn, and Blake Jenner's new character as potential romantic interests? Too much, Supergirl. Too much.

I really liked Blake Jenner in Glee & the Glee reality show. I hope he is a good addition. TBH, I'm not really excited that they are focusing on her love life, because I'm afraid they will turn it into a superficial girly sit-com. That being said, love is important part of the hero's journey so I don't want them to skip it. I just want to minimize the soap operatic tendencies like triangle/polygons. Of note, I never saw romantic chemistry between MB and Jimmy or Winn.

So if they bring in someone with a spark, I'm all for it. Then again, actors do not always spark with their real life loves, so it might all crash & burn. Can't remember what their chemistry was like on Glee.

They are probably just doing what Arrow did season one. Trying to find what works. Arrow brought in a couple of other love interest (making 3) plus they promoted Felicity from 1 episode to many.

• Love 2

So LOT starts on January 21st on a Thursday. VD or Originals getting an extended hiatus.

I'm surprised. Thursday was the one night I didn't see it going. I hoped they'd put it behind Flash or Arrow to give it more of a chance, but I thought they might put it on Monday to replace CEG and try to prop up JtV. Not that those two shows are at all compatible, but neither was JtV and The Originals.

Edited by Starfish35

I'm wondering which show will be replaced. On the one hand, TVD has (slightly) better ratings (they dropped to a 0.5 last night - I think that's a new series low?). On the other hand, TO needs another season to get to syndication.

Although in some ways it would make sense to have Legends follow Flash, that would also pit Legends against Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD.  So I can see putting a splashy and expensive new show featuring a character popular enough to be brought from the dead, Victor Garber, and a Doctor Who person, with occasional cameos from Oliver Queen and Barry Allen, at 8 pm on Thursday nights, especially since Scandal doesn't start until 9.

(And yes, the CW is aware of Scandal - that was cited as one of the reasons for moving Reign. Though since Reign was then moved to the Friday Timeslot of Death, we can certainly ask just how much the CW wants Reign to succeed, but that's another forum.)

Regarding the syndication question for The Originals: these days, shows can be syndicated with fewer episodes, so that might not be a huge concern. 

Edited by quarks
  • Love 1

Well, let's see. CEG is more than likely getting cancelled. So that spot will need to be filled. They have Containment and The 100 also for midseason. iZombie's second season order was only for 13 episodes. When does ANTM end?

I'm just trying to imagine how everything might get shuffled around. The simplest thing, of course, is that TVD gets bumped to Friday, and Containment and The 100 take CEG and iZombie's spots. Or TVD gets moved to 9 and TO gets bumped to Friday. But I'm not sure if they would try to do more rearranging than that. The CW seems more prone to schedule shuffling than the other networks. Look at how many spots SPN has been in over the years.

Edited by Starfish35

Although in some ways it would make sense to have Legends follow Flash, that would also pit Legends against Agent Carter and Agents of SHIELD.  So I can see putting a splashy and expensive new show featuring a character popular enough to be brought from the dead, Victor Garber, and a Doctor Who person, with occasional cameos from Oliver Queen and Barry Allen, at 8 pm on Thursday nights, especially since Scandal doesn't start until 9.

(And yes, the CW is aware of Scandal - that was cited as one of the reasons for moving Reign. Though since Reign was then moved to the Friday Timeslot of Death, we can certainly ask just how much the CW wants Reign to succeed, but that's another forum.)

Never knew that, I just figured it was Reign's performance that earned them the Fri night slot since they were near the chopping block. Then again, it does have the CBS distributing protection. Scandal is a force of nature. I just don’t see the CW being overly concerned about putting LoT against it because it generally appeals to different audiences. Whereas Scandal & Reign shared a portion of a similar audience.

I really thought they would try to capitalize on a Flarrow lead-in but Tues is not the best night. Personally the Tues slot seems like it would be drawing from the same audience with AoS/AgtC. I also think that is why they avoided the Mon slot to not go against Gotham. Which leads to an Weds Arrow lead-in. But Tomorrow People crashed & burned in that timeslot when they tried to sell it as a superhero double hitter.

It makes sense to me that they would try to monopolize on the Flarrow Audience and try to pull them to Thurs night. Also a Thurs 8p slot is the perfect way to keep the stories in sequential order for if they want to do crossovers. LoT makes for the better finale to a xover show because of its set-up.

Well, let's see. CEG is more than likely getting cancelled. So that spot will need to be filled. They have Containment and The 100 also for midseason. iZombie's second season order was only for 13 episodes. When does ANTM end?

I'm just trying to imagine how everything might get shuffled around. The simplest thing, of course, is that TVD gets bumped to Friday, and Containment and The 100 take CEG and iZombie's spots. Or TVD gets moved to 9 and TO gets bumped to Friday. But I'm not sure if they would try to do more rearranging than that. The CW seems more prone to schedule shuffling than the other networks. Look at how many spots SPN has been in over the years.

ANTM always finishes up in Dec. And appropriately will not be coming back. After 22 seasons, Tyra found a way to run that show into the ground. the last 2 seasons have been absolutely horrible.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they move SPN again, they know that audience is loyal. I feel like wherever the 100 was last season is where it will return. I also think VD may be heading for a Fri night slot.

I don't really care as long as The 100 comes back as soon as possible. I miss it, like, a lot. 

Well, I also kinda want more episodes for iZombie (because I really liked the latest episode), but this season disappoints me overall, and I also really want LoT to succeed because Sara and cool premise.

But mostly, The 100.

• Love 1

Either the 100 or SPN are moving to the Friday slot (aka the death slot)... 

SPN possibly because it's old

100 possibly because of the ratings

IMO I want SPN to die because... well, enough already. The 100 still has a lot of story to tell. 

• Love 2

I just looked it up, and the CW released their midseason schedule on January 11 this past season. So we might be waiting awhile for official confirmation of what's moving where.

On another note, I've been catching up with AoS. Can I just say...kudos to them for not backing down on making Ward completely evil. I was afraid at the beginning of last season that they were going go with a redemption arc for him, but I personally find him much more interesting of a character playing the villain. I was impressed with how they ended up bringing all the arcs together this last week, and I'm looking forward to seeing what they do for their fall finale.

• Love 4

I just looked it up, and the CW released their midseason schedule on January 11 this past season. So we might be waiting awhile for official confirmation of what's moving where.

Barring late changes you should know when your shows return when the MSF airs. They always run a quick promo saying X Show Returns on this date.

AoS has been great this season.

True, I've been great and this from someone not so much a fan last year. 

but I thought they might put it on Monday to replace CEG and try to prop up JtV

Boo to Crazy Ex Girlfriend getting cancelled.  Probably happening but boo since I really love that show. 

Thursday for Legends of Tomorrow really surprises me since the Australia channel claims they get to show it a day before we get it.  Maybe they were just guessing as well. 

I'm already completely reliant on my DVR since I swear all my shows have conflicts so what's one more. 

He actually seems really fun, and (don't kill me) quite a bit brighter than SA.  Although I think he's a fairly terrible actor.

They're both terrible actors. And fairly awful human beings. Robbie's a misogynist, while Stephen has been publicly misogynist and racist.

What did Robbie say/do?

And what did Stephen say that was racist?

I know nothing about RA but I'm sure the reference to SA was about the bru haha over him getting upset that people called Texas racist and his OTT need to defend the state while missing the point that it was the poor kid that had actually suffered the real indignities, not generic faceless non involved people.  Clueless, insulated, tone deaf and too stubborn for his own good, but not so much racist IMO though that is of course up for other interpretations. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

He doesn't know when to step out of it, which in some cases is good (e.g. his charities, how he interacts with fans, getting Josh Donaldson voted on to the All Stars game) and in other cases it gets him into trouble.  Fame magnifies things. Richard Dawkins said worse things IMO (he said the boy hadn't really made a clock, he'd just taken the insides out of an existing one and was faking) but there wasn't as much outcry over that.

On the plus side, SAe hasn't said anything in favor of the states who are refusing to admit Syrian refugees. Maybe he does learn.

• Love 2

Entertainment: The Arrow & Flash Saving DC Comics’ Cinema Reputation
By Mike Sigman -  Nov 22, 2015
http://theinscribermag.com/entertainment-arrow-cinema-reputation/

With Arrow on its fourth season and The Flash on its second season, the two CW television shows are bringing in viewers of all ages and are helping increase the awareness for the upcoming movies for DC Cinema.
... Many complaints are the main actors for the Arrow (Stephen Amell) and The Flash (Grant Gustin) should be in the upcoming movies and should have larger parts than higher priced actors.

While the Arrow is a sort of knock off version of Batman, the Arrow is doing a great job of casting amazing super villains and having a great story line to go along with the show.

Now viewers must remember, that this is a television show filmed based and filmed in Canada, so some of the fighting and choreograph is a tad corny, yet the Batman influenced villains and small love stories of Oliver Queen and doing whatever he can to protect his city. This is hands down one of my favorite television shows on TV now, and has the chance to be airing for many years to come.