Type keyword(s) to search

The Walking Dead in the Media

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, peach said:

It's irritating that the tone the article is taking is that people have just naturally lost interest over the years.  Instead of the show being destroyed by terrible management.

Agree, though many of the choices they are making is one of the reasons people are losing interest so its not 100% wrong.

It would be nice if they could find a cure or something. Since this just started making it will just stop and the group will never know why Walkers were around. I know they said it wouldn't happen but I think they need to change that. At least it would be a better goal for the group then Rick and his friends fight an enemy.

• Love 1

We're being given the opportunity to see the TWD season finale and FTWD season premier as a double feature on the big screen.  Was anyone seriously clamoring for this?  

The Walking Dead season finale and Fear the Walking Dead season premiere both just got a lot bigger. That’s because, as EW can exclusively report, both episodes will be appearing on the big screen, as in theatres.

AMC is partnering with Fathom Events to bring both zombie dramas into more than 750 cinemas for one night only on April 15 for “Survival Sunday: The Walking Dead & Fear the Walking Dead.” That means fans can now enjoy their favorite flesh-eating walkers on the big screen for both the season 8 finale of TWD and the season 4 premiere of Fear.

44 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

We're being given the opportunity to see the TWD season finale and FTWD season premier as a double feature on the big screen.  Was anyone seriously clamoring for this?  

"AMC is partnering with Fathom Events"

This is more of an Unfathomable Event.  How great this would have been back in the first five seasons.  Even the cinematography is gone now.  They've lost more than half their audience.  Who is going to see this?
Back probably in season 3, I actually paid 15 dollars to go to a movie theater to see the Paleyfest panel of TWD.  I went with my son, and we had a good time.  I enjoyed seeing some clips on the big screen, and wished I could see more of that.  I do not wish that now.  I don't want to see a 20 foot version of Negan's mug.

Edited by peach
  • Love 4
46 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

In that case, you might want to FF the opening of the upcoming ep. Yes, it's artsy-fartsy closeup time again:

I actually laughed through the first 30 seconds.  I liked Simon squinting.  That really added to it.  Maybe we should all meet up somewhere to watch it on the big screen and throw stuff and jeer.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, peach said:

Maybe we should all meet up somewhere to watch it on the big screen and throw stuff and jeer.

That would be great. We can all shout out heavily sarcastic and mocking comments, just like MST3K!

I like Dwight feeling the wrinkles on his forehead while omnious music blares.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, AngelaHunter said:

That would be great. We can all shout out heavily sarcastic and mocking comments, just like MST3K!

I like Dwight feeling the wrinkles on his forehead while omnious music blares.

1 hour ago, peach said:

Maybe we should all meet up somewhere to watch it on the big screen and throw stuff and jeer.

I'm good with this lol.

• Love 2

Not sure if this goes here, but this guy speaks for all of us. Warning: "Possible Spoilers" (if anyone still cares) I like best that he says "Scott Gimple" and "dense" in the same sentence and explanation of Gimple's reasoning really makes me wonder if he's playing with a full deck.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

Not sure if this goes here, but this guy speaks for all of us. Warning: "Possible Spoilers" (if anyone still cares) I like best that he says "Scott Gimple" and "dense" in the same sentence and explanation of Gimple's reasoning really makes me wonder if he's playing with a full deck.

Yeahhhhh, that about covers it.  :(

• Love 1
20 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I like best that he says "Scott Gimple" and "dense" in the same sentence and explanation of Gimple's reasoning really makes me wonder if he's playing with a full deck.

I liked the video, but I don't think the guy who wrote Clear, and The Grove and some other good ones is actually clueless.  I think he's just lying.  I believe there are other factors and behind the scenes reasons he does the shit he does.  I think it's petty.The reason his excuses make no sense is because they aren't really the reasons.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peach said:

I believe there are other factors and behind the scenes reasons he does the shit he does.

Whatever his reasons for the total destruction of this show and for giving the finger to all the fans who have stuck with it, no matter what crap was thrown at us, I hope they're good ones.

• Love 1

Another Week Of 'The Walking Dead,' Another Six Year Ratings Low
Paul Tassi  March 17, 2018
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/03/17/another-week-of-the-walking-dead-another-six-year-ratings-low/

I’ve been wondering when The Walking Dead was going to at least temporarily stop bleeding viewers in season 8B, but it has not happened yet. This is the second drop in a row for this half of the season, and the another six year ratings low for The Walking Dead.

The previous week’s 6.82 million viewers and 2.9 in the 18-49 demo was a low, and this past week’s 6.60 million and 2.8 is even lower. Those numbers put the most recent episode of The Walking Dead lower than 9 of the 13 episodes of season 2, back in 2011-12. In fact, there have now only been ten lower rated episodes in Walking Dead history, including all six episodes of season 1.

... We are quite literally down 5 million viewers from even the season 8 premiere, and as I said earlier, I definitely believe that (spoilers), Carl’s death has proven to be the big exit catalyst I thought it would be, just like what happened with Glenn and Abraham at the start of season 7.

My question now is…when does AMC start to care/panic? Their line has always been that The Walking Dead is healthier than ever because ratings don’t capture the full range of how people consume content these days. While that’s true to a certain extent, it’s hard to argue that serious declines are not happening regardless, and rather quickly, and I wonder when that starts to affect the show, or if it has already.
While I don’t believe The Walking Dead is on the verge of cancellation at this point, I do wonder if budget cuts are already being made that affect the show. It’s been a well-publicized struggle for Maggie actress Lauren Cohan to get AMC to pay her what she wants to come back for season 9, and it seems very likely at this point she may be leaving to lead her own ABC pilot instead. If The Walking Dead was still as big as it was several years ago, perhaps this debate wouldn’t even be happening, and she’d simply get the contract she wanted. And it has also been a fan theory that one of the reasons Chandler Riggs was killed off/fired was that he would have been due for a substantive contract negotiation when he turned 18, though this has not been confirmed.

Overall, however, AMC has shown no signs of scaling down The Walking Dead other than these specific cases, and more generally, they seem to be investing even more in the franchise, planning for more spin-offs past Fear the Walking Dead, and expanding the franchise into a fully-fledged universe. TWD and FTWD remains the two best-rated shows on the network as AMC hasn’t produced any other huge-scale hits in ages, and they’re going to ride the train as long as they can. But the question is whether audiences will follow.
For now though, the sharp decline of the original Walking Dead is starting to get worrisome. AMC can dismiss it all they want, but they really stepped in it with Carl’s death, and they’re reaping the results of that with these last few weeks of steep drops. We’ll have to see where it ends, and if tomorrow can turn things around.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, peach said:

I liked the video, but I don't think the guy who wrote Clear, and The Grove and some other good ones is actually clueless.  I think he's just lying.  I believe there are other factors and behind the scenes reasons he does the shit he does.  I think it's petty.The reason his excuses make no sense is because they aren't really the reasons.

I don't think Gimple is the only factor either. I think he's alright as a writer but he is absolutely unsuited as showrunner. I've never understood why he was chosen really, looking at his credits before TWD there was nothing to recommend him. AMC however is all about money and the likes of Gimple are cheap. But since they get such a huge opportunity they are more likely to toe the company line and fall in line. Darabont did not, he had his own ideas and demands and that didn't sit well with anybody. But IMO he had the right idea, the tv show should have been it's own thing and deviate from the source material when the opportunity arises. Gimple tried to do that too and none of it worked because neither him nor the writers know anything about structuring and pacing. And while expanding the world beyond one community/group is necessary, the way it is always done on this show brings with it so many issues. There was no need for the uselessness of the Garbage people and Oeanside when we already had 4 communities to contend with, especially since those two communities add absolutely nothing to the plot. Why hire all these actors/background actors when the money could be used for more important stuff? Like I don't know, focusing on the people we already have. Or even better, to hire better writers.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Smad said:

Darabont did not, he had his own ideas and demands and that didn't sit well with anybody. But IMO he had the right idea, the tv show should have been it's own thing and deviate from the source material when the opportunity arises. Gimple tried to do that too and none of it worked because neither him nor the writers know anything about structuring and pacing.

Yes. Gimple also has no idea where he wants this show to go, in spite of his, "All will be explained." So week after week, we get muddled, contrary, non-sensical messes that no one can possibly decipher and his greatest accomplishment is turning this show into a laughing stock.

• Love 3

Ratings for the latest TWD episode (8x12-The Key) were 2.83 demo and 6.663M viewers. So it's good new-bad news for AMC. Good news: ratings didn't drop further. Bad news: ratings didn't improve much either.

Here are Season 8's ratings so far:

8x01    5.03    11.439    
8x02    3.99    8.923    
8x03    3.79    8.519
8x04    3.87    8.688    
8x05    3.42    7.845    
8x06    3.57    8.282    
8x07    3.28    7.468    
8x08    3.36    7.885
8x09    3.64    8.282    
8x10    2.86    6.820
8x11    2.80    6.604    
8x12    2.83    6.663

Sources: 
https://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/walking-dead-season-eight-ratings/
https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/03/final-adjusted-tv-ratings-for-sunday_20.html

Edited by tv echo

‘Walking Dead’ Ratings Steady for Second Straight Week
By Joe Otterson  March 20, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/walking-dead-ratings-season-8-episode-12-1202731921/

“The Walking Dead” seems to have leveled off in the Nielsen Live+Same Day ratings, with this week’s episode matching the numbers from last week.

This Sunday’s episode, the twelfth of the show’s eighth season, averaged a 2.8 rating in adults 18-49 and 6.7 million viewers, even with its performance in the key demo last week and up slightly from the 6.6 million viewers who tuned in for last Sunday’s episode.

While those are still numbers the show has not experienced in years, the week-to-week steadiness is a good omen. Barring any more big drops, “The Walking Dead” is poised to again claim the number one show on TV title that it has held since its third season. Season 8 is currently averaging a 3.5 in the demo in Live+Same Day. Its nearest scripted competition, NBC’s “This Is Us,” recently ended its second season with a 3.1 rating average, including a post-Super Bowl episode that drew a 9.3 in February.
As Variety previously reported, the Season 8 midseason premiere was the lowest-rated midseason premiere in series history, putting up a 3.6 rating in adults 18-49 and 8.3 million viewers.

The Season 8 midseason finale was the show’s lowest-rated since Season 2. The Season 8 premiere was also the show’s lowest-rated since its third season, despite the fact that the Season 8 opener was also the show’s 100th episode.

Edited by tv echo

That's quite some spin.  They killed off 20% of their audience along with Carl, but, hey, it's steady.  And that 20% was on top of another big decline since last year.

• Love 1

The Walking Dead's Andrew Lincoln addresses Lauren Cohan pay dispute: 'I'd be surprised if Maggie wasn't in season 9'
Jacob Stolworthy March 22, 2018
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/the-walking-dead-andrew-lincoln-season-8-lauren-cohan-pay-salary-rick-maggie-a8268251.html

Following the series' cast contract negotiations, it was reported that - with Lincoln and Norman Reedus both locked in for season 9 - Cohan was yet to reach an agreement to return as Maggie having sought equal salary with her two male co-stars.

AMC later offered her a “modest salary increase in exchange for a long-term contract,” something which Cohan rejected before signing on to star in the pilot of new ABC comedy Whiskey Cavalier sparking exit rumours.

With fans concerned that this may spell the end of Maggie - one of the show's longest-standing characters following the shock death of Carl (Chandler Riggs) - Lincoln told The Independent he'll be surprised if we don't see the character return for the recently-confirmed ninth season.

“Lauren is a good friend and wonderful actress. What she has created with the role of Maggie has had an enormous impact on the world of The Walking Dead. I would be surprised if Maggie Rhee wasn’t leading from the front as she always has done next season. That is, of course, if she and Rick make it through the next four episodes.”

Edited by tv echo

Warning: The rest of this article, which I didn't quote, contains some spoilery teases...

'The Walking Dead' Season 8 Finale Extended
By BRANDON DAVIS - March 23, 2018
http://comicbook.com/thewalkingdead/2018/03/23/the-walking-dead-season-8-finale-extended/

The Walking Dead's Season Eight finale's run time has been revealed, debuting before an extended Season Four premiere of Fear the Walking Dead.

The Walking Dead Episode 8x16 is titled "Wrath," and will broadcast on AMC from 9:00 pm ET through 10:10 pm ET, when Fear the Walking Dead's "What's Your Story?" Episode 4x01 begins, broadcasting through 11:17 pm ET.

The Walking Dead's Season Eight finale leading directly into Fear the Walking Dead's Season Four premiere is an intentional move to hook viewers for

Spoiler

the journey of Morgan Jones as his crossover to the sibling series begins.

Both episodes will also play in theaters, with tickets available via Fathom Events.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

Back to back TWD season finale and FTWD season premier? 

They're both extended!  9 pm thru 11:17 pm of WD universe goofiness.  I'll have to stock up on chocolate.

• Love 1

The Walking Dead's Last Battle Made No Logical Sense At All
Paul Tassi   March 27, 2018
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2018/03/27/the-walking-deads-last-battle-made-no-logical-sense-at-all/#4a2b33c44612 

The idea was that with Negan MIA, Simon was taking over the Saviors to go “wipe out” the Hilltop, whereas Negan’s idea was more of another “teach them a lesson” type deal. And yet, what followed made little tactical or logical sense.
What I don’t understand is that if Simon wanted to change the parameters of the mission, ie. kill everyone, why would they not just head back to home base, get their guns, and forget the whole plague weapon thing? Or they could do both. Have some plague archers but also, you know, have actual guns to fight the other people with guns. If your bullet reserves are low, then you wait until they're not because you literally have a guy printing bullets for you now. Also, in the above image which was the run-up to the fight, you can see a bunch of the Saviors do have guns, yet they don't use them in the actual battle. Why?
I’m really trying to root for The Walking Dead here, but it keeps botching a lot of its major action sequences (Rick’s initial stand-off at the Savior compound was as goofy as this) or tactical assaults (Sasha running inside the Savior compound with a sniper rifle, for all the good that would do). It seems like logic often flies out the window when scripting these scenes in order to simply further the plot. And the Saviors sprinting toward their deaths by attacking the Hilltop with bows and arrows against machine guns is one of the most absurd things I’ve seen to date.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Nashville said:

The writer has encapsulated my thoughts eloquently.

Oh, yes, I especially enjoyed this part:

Next week I will continue to get paid to watch and recap The Walking Dead, and thus will do so again. But right now, if I didn’t have that obligation, I would rage-quit this show so damn hard. Last night’s episode was so tremendously idiotic that I want to push it down the stairs. But clearly, it wouldn’t wake anyone who makes the damn show wake up.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

The Walking Dead's Last Battle Made No Logical Sense At All
Paul Tassi   March 27, 2018
And the Saviors sprinting toward their deaths by attacking the Hilltop with bows and arrows against machine guns is one of the most absurd things I’ve seen to date.

And surviving!  lol

'Walking Dead’ Ratings Tick Up Again, Loses in Key Demo to ’60 Minutes’
Joe Otterson   MARCH 27, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/walking-dead-ratings-season-8-episode-13-1202737566/

“The Walking Dead” saw another modest increase in its ratings this Sunday, but not enough to top “60 Minutes'” highly-touted interview with Stormy Daniels.

Airing from 9-10 p.m., “The Walking Dead” averaged a 3.0 rating in adults 18-49 and 6.8 million viewers. That is up a few percentage points from last week’s episode, which drew a 2.8 and 6.7 million. It is also up from the 2.8 and 6.6 million viewers the zombie apocalypse series drew two weeks ago.

But “The Walking Dead” lost out in the key demo to “60 Minutes,” with the CBS news program earning a 4.0 rating in adults 18-49 and 22 million viewers thanks to its interview with Daniels, the adult film star who claims to have had an affair with President Donald Trump. It was the first time “The Walking Dead” has lost in the demo to “60 Minutes” since 2011, during the AMC series’ second season.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Ratings for TWD 8x14 (Still Gotta Mean Something) were 2.63 demo and 6.295M viewers..
https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/04/final-adjusted-tv-ratings-for-sunday.html

That's a noticeable drop from last week's 8x13 ratings of 2.95 demo (down 10.85%) and 6.77M viewers (down 7.07%). The previous Season 8 lowest ratings were the 2.8 demo and 6.60M viewers for 8x11. So 8x14 now holds the record for this season's lowest ratings.

Sunday cable ratings: ‘The Walking Dead’ falls, NCAA women’s championship off a little
RICK PORTER  APRIL 3, 2018
http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/daily-ratings/sunday-cable-ratings-april-1-2018/

After an improvement the previous week, “The Walking Dead” hit a season low in the ratings Sunday.

It was still the top show on cable by a lot, but “The Walking Dead’s” 2.6 rating among adults 18-49 was down from 3.0 a week earlier. It also slipped in viewers from 6.77 million to 6.3 million.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

‘Walking Dead’ Ratings Slip to Season 8 Low
By Joe Otterson   April 3, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/walking-dead-season-8-ratings-low-1202742756/

The AMC zombie drama pulled in a 2.6 rating in adults 18-49 and 6.3 million viewers in Live+Same Day. That is a decline of approximately 11% in the demo from last week and 7% in total viewers. That is also a new low for Season 8 of the series, but past seasons have also hit lows around the same point. The previous two weeks saw modest gains over prior season low of a 2.8 and 6.6 million viewers set by the March 11 episode.

With two episodes remaining in Season 8, “The Walking Dead” is all but guaranteed to once again be the number one show on TV in adults 18-49, barring some kind of massive drop in the home stretch. Still, the show has seen heavy declines since Season 7, with Season 8 currently down over 30% in both measures from last year. The show is also flirting with a new series low in the key demo. The lowest rating the show has ever drawn is a 2.4 back in Season 1. To tie that low, next week’s episode would need to fall approximately 8%. To fall to a new low of a 2.3 or lower, it would need to lose approximately 12% or more.
As Variety previously reported, the Season 8 midseason premiere was the lowest-rated midseason premiere in series history, putting up a 3.6 rating in adults 18-49 and 8.3 million viewers.The Season 8 midseason finale was the show’s lowest-rated since Season 2. The Season 8 premiere was also the show’s lowest-rated since its third season, despite the fact that the Season 8 opener was also the show’s 100th episode.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Some interesting TV stats:

In the adults 18-49 demographic, the sweet spot for ad sales on broadcast and a number of cable networks, the top group is even smaller. Just 79 shows — a scant 2.58 percent — managed a 1.0 rating (roughly 1.28 million people in that age range), which is an OK-but-not-great mark for a network show and pretty solid for cable. More than 40 percent had 0.0 ratings, meaning no more than 64,000 adults under 50 watched.

And:

The most-watched primetime shows of the week were pretty much what you’d expect: “The Big Bang Theory,” “The Walking Dead,” “This Is Us” and the like. Here are the top 5 shows across Nielsen’s three measurement periods — same-day, Live +3 and Live +7. First, adults 18-49:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/more-tv-news/one-week-in-tv-3000-shows-133-networks-4-months-worth-of-programming/

Yeah, I just don't see AMC cancelling this show anytime soon...

On 3/23/2018 at 7:34 PM, AngelaHunter said:

I love this guy. "How dare anyone question the great genius that is Scott Gimple?"

Gimp le and Kirkman are like the leader of the Bardon Bellas.  They keep singing that damn Crack of Ass song, when everyone has told them the Crack of Ass song isn’t working.   Even the people being forced to sing the Crack of Ass song know they’re on a sinking ship.  But not these fools,  they’ll keep hammering you with the same damn Crack of Ass song, hoping you will concede  that they were right all along.  

• Love 4

Ratings for Sunday's 8x15 (Worth) were 2.81 demo and 6.665M viewers (up from the previous week)...
https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/04/final-adjusted-tv-ratings-for-sunday_10.html 

To compare, the previous week's ratings for 8x14 (Still Gotta Mean Something) were 2.63 demo and 6.295M viewers.

The demo number has not gone above 3.0 since Carl's death episode, I believe.

Edited by tv echo

'The Walking Dead' finale mercifully brings Negan war to an end
By Brian Lowry    Sun April 15, 2018
https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/15/entertainment/the-walking-dead-season-8-finale-review/index.html

For "The Walking Dead," the Negan war gaveth, and the Negan war tooketh away. But in the final analysis, the two full seasons that the AMC series devoted to its prosecution became a drawn-out slog, one which finally came to an emotional, somewhat predictable, literally merciful end with Sunday's eighth-season finale.

On the plus side, Jeffrey Dean Morgan's portrayal of Negan brought a major infusion of energy and genuine menace to the show -- a welcome jolt for any series this late in its run. But waging the war -- with all the tactical machinations of what was billed as "All Out War," strewn across the 16 episodes of Season 8 -- at times felt as if the plot was ambling along like a zombie, or more accurately, running in place.
... Letting Negan live caused Maggie (Lauren Cohan) to break down -- craving vengeance for her husband -- and her decision to plot against Rick was joined by, among others, Daryl (Norman Reedus), potentially placing the show's most significant players in conflict.

Whether that prospect is enough to jump-start interest in the series remains to be seen. Viewing of "The Walking Dead" has already fallen off pretty dramatically, a byproduct of age, the overall gravity of a saturated TV marketplace and yes, missteps that the program has made along the way.
Obviously, "The Walking Dead" is too much of a cash cow for AMC to part with the show blithely, but at this point, it wouldn't be crazy to start contemplating an end game, one that would allow viewers to follow Rick's story, at least, toward some sort of natural conclusion.

Edited by tv echo

The Walking Dead Season-Finale Recap: Same As It Ever Was
By Richard Rys   April 16, 2018
http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/the-walking-dead-recap-season-8-episode-16.html

Let’s also take a moment to look at the bigger picture. The Saviors story line proved that TWD is stuck in a rut — encounter an enemy, defeat the enemy, kill some walkers along the way, repeat. No one wants to see the survivors live too comfortably; this can’t become a soap opera with an occasional zombie cameo, Dynasty with the undead. But how much badder can the big bads get? We’ve seen cannibals, would-be child rapists, murderers, and two larger-than-life leaders in the Guv and Negan. I’d be surprised if Maggie goes full evil, but that would be an interesting twist, as least. Otherwise, what is left for a show that’s far too predictable in its fundamental conceit?

Here’s one unsolicited solution: Shake things up radically. Let the “Maggie versus Rick” story line play out next season. Show the survivors making real progress toward creating a functional new society with help from Georgie’s crew, that Key to the Future book, and whoever the hell is piloting that damn helicopter. Then end the season with a major time jump, say, five years into the future. All the progress they’ve made is gone. Only a few core characters are still alive. Life is worse than ever. Slowly reveal what caused everything to unravel, introduce new survivors, and start over from close to scratch.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The Walking Dead finale recap: 'Wrath'
NICK ROMANO    April 15, 2018
http://ew.com/recap/the-walking-dead-season-8-finale/

At times, it seemed like this day might never come. It seemed like the weeks would continue to drag along until neither Rick nor Negan remembered why they started fighting each other in the first place. But the time has come — the time for The Sanctuary to finally face off against everyone else in the last stand of this war. Was it worth the hype? Well…not really.
... This is the only time we ever see the Oceansiders in this episode — it’s another instance where weeks of setting the stage resulted in very little payoff.
As Rosita punches Eugene in the face for puking on her in the previous episode and Morgan gives his armor to Carol, that mysterious vision of Rick plays out. He sits at the base of the tree reciting the religious line: “My mercy prevails over my wrath.” Yet another scene that was less intense than its buildup.
Back at Hilltop, Maggie is conspiring. Now completely consumed by vengeance, she sits in the dark of her office with Jesus. She tells him he was right to spare the Saviors, but that Rick and Michonne were not right to spare Negan. They will wait and make the Hilltop thrive, but when the moment comes, they will show Rick how wrong he was. Daryl emerges from the shadows, agreeing to this plan. It’s a move, pitting Maggie against Rick, that feels…odd. A few episodes ago, Rick mentioned that he would relinquish leadership to Maggie once the Negan war was done. She would, then, technically be in power. So why all this conspiracy to circumvent someone who’s seemingly no longer a power player? Maggie’s new villainy role doesn’t feel like it satisfied the character’s trajectory. ...

Edited by tv echo

The Walking Dead's eighth season ends in big, bloodthirsty war
Alex McLevy  April 15, 2018
https://tv.avclub.com/the-walking-deads-eighth-season-ends-in-big-bloodthirs-1825255107

Mea culpa for my refusing to believe last week that anything as simple as two minutes of being yelled at by Daryl and Rosita would be enough to convert Eugene from a diehard member of Negan’s team to becoming the architect of Negan’s downfall. I should’ve known better than to dismiss an idea, thinking it would be too ridiculous, about where The Walking Dead could go narratively. Because getting nearly every Savior, Negan included, to fire their guns containing faulty bullets at the exact same time is the kind of theatrical absurdism that has increasingly become the series’ stock-in-trade. As Eugene explains to Rosita at the end of the fight, turning the “phooey” into “kablooey” was his way of doing something with his life, of taking the “come to Jesus” moment he apparently had after his brief kidnapping and switching back to the side of his old friends. It doesn’t really make much sense when compared to basically everything else he’s done since being captured by Negan, give or take a letting Gabriel and the doctor escape, but it certainly makes for gonzo entertainment, and provides a perfect way for Team Rick to survive a seemingly impossible situation. Deus ex machinery.
... The two long-running characters making a pact to go against Rick and Michonne and deliver mortal vengeance upon their big antagonist makes total sense: Maggie’s been clear all along that she had one goal, and that was ending Negan as payback for Glenn. And Daryl’s just that kind of guy. But Jesus? That was a very out-of-left-field choice, one The Walking Dead will hopefully justify upon its return. It’s left unsaid what they’re planning, but the idea they’re going to do something to Rick and/or Michonne would be even weirder, so let’s assume they just to do some killing.
- Speaking of that giant horde of walkers, am I the only one who found that to be a really weird and ambiguous introduction to what’s presumably a big threat next season? I was pausing the screen and squinting to see what the hell they were talking about with that first reference, and it was all very vague. Maybe people with 4k screens had better luck.
- This was a silly ending to a silly season—two seasons, really—but it did possess an oddball charm that supersedes the unbelievable nature of the story. To quote Zack Handlen, who reviewed this show before me, “If it’s a choice between ‘dumb and mean’ and ‘dumb and optimistic and occasionally a dude gets his face eaten by a tiger,’ I’m going with the latter every time.” Garbage people, tigers, hundreds of flawlessly timed exploding guns...We’ll see if next year continues The Wacky Adventures Of Rick And The Gang or if the show tries to get back to some realism while its heart gets stitched back onto its sleeve. ...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

THE WALKING DEAD: "WRATH" REVIEW
BY MATT FOWLER  15 APR 2018
http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/04/16/the-walking-dead-wrath-review

Also...what is Maggie even talking about? They're going to bide their time and then show Rick and Michonne how wrong they were? What does that mean? They're going to kill Negan? They're...going to kill Rick and Michonne? This is really dumb.

And it was literally a 30 second scene. It's such a small portion of the overall episode and yet it was the moment that set up what's to come. It was brief, but it sort of spoiled the stew.
While I'm ranting a little...why didn't Maggie just kill Negan anyway? Was Rick in charge-in charge? No one gave actually infallible commands between Rick, Maggie, and Ezekiel. Why was Rick's word automatically the law? I understand, as someone who's watched this show for eight years now, that Rick's the central character and the de facto leader, but given that this "new world" involves alliances and no true figureheads, why didn't Maggie, Daryl, or Jesus (yeah, you - ya hypocrite) just overrule Rick? Also, why is she so upset about it that she's basically turning into a villain? They all just almost died, and were only spared because they had secret allies they didn't even know about waiting to hit Negan's troops with ambush attacks. This is the hill she's dying on?

Again, this was such a small part of the episode - but it left a very large stink.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Unsurprisingly, ratings went up for TWD's season finale, 8x16 (Worth), with 3.41 demo and 7.916M viewers...
https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/04/final-adjusted-tv-ratings-for-sunday_17.html

FYI, ratings for FTWD's season premiere, 4x01 (What's Your Story?), were 1.6 demo and 4.09M viewer. So, many viewers did not stick around after TWD:
https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/04/final-adjusted-tv-ratings-for-sunday_17.html

Edited by tv echo

‘The Walking Dead’ Finale Ratings Fall To Lowest Since Season 1; ‘Fear’ Debut Rises
by Dominic Patten  April 17, 2018
http://deadline.com/2018/04/the-walking-dead-ratings-finale-near-low-fear-the-walking-dead-rises-crossover-andrew-lincoln-crossover-1202366045/

No one’s going to start writing an obituary for The Walking Dead anytime soon, but compared with past years, Sunday’s Season 8 finale was almost the least-watched of the AMC zombie apocalypse series. On the flip side, spinoff Fear the Walking Dead opened its fourth season right after with viewership it hasn’t seen since 2016.

Pulling in 7.9 million viewers, the April 15 “Wrath” episode of TWD that saw the All-Out War showdown between Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) and the Survivors and villain Negan (Jeffrey Dean Morgan) and his Saviors was down just more than 30% from the Season 7 finale of April 2, 2017. Put in wider context, that’s even with the all-time-low fall finale of last December and the worst any TWD finale has done since 5.97 million sets of eyeballs watched the Season 1 ender on December 5, 2010.

Granted, in today’s rating climate where decline is the norm for almost everything except Game of Thrones, the Season 8 finale results are a continuation of a trend that began in Season 6 for TWD, with the double-killing Season 7 opener a notable exception. Up 18% in total viewership from April 8’s penultimate “Worth” episode, TWD on Sunday snared 4.4 million viewers in the 18-49 demo it has so long dominated to hit a 3.4 rating. Even taking into account fans who might have ventured out Sunday to watch the season ender in cinemas, that’s a 42% drop in the demo from the Season 7 “The First Day of the Rest of Your Life” finale of last year.

While up 21% from “Worth” the week before, that demo result is the worst any TWD season ender has seen since the 3.0 of Season 1’s  finale – and that was a great cable number back in 2010.

Edited by tv echo

Should AMC Be Worried About The Walking Dead Ratings?
By Josef Adalian   April 17, 2018
http://www.vulture.com/2018/04/the-walking-dead-season-8-finale-ratings.html

What’s most important to keep in mind about TWD is that, even in its somewhat diminished state, the series remains one of the biggest hits on television. While final DVR-adjusted data won’t be in until the end of the month, through episode 14, the current season of TWD was averaging roughly 12 million viewers and 6.9 million adults under 50, down 27 and 33 percent, respectively, compared to the same timeframe last season. Yes, that’s a significant decline — even in this, the era of perpetual ratings erosion. But until Roseanne burst back on to the scene a few weeks ago, TWD was on track to finish the season — yet again — as the No. 1 show on all of TV among adults under 50. It’s now possible ABC’s short-run sitcom revival (which will air eight weeks this season, versus 16 for TWD) will end up with that No. 1 slot, assuming it doesn’t start to fall off in coming weeks. But that will still leave TWD as TV’s No. 1 drama in the key demo, ahead of even NBC’s Super Bowl–boosted and red-hot This Is Us. This is no small feat for an eight-year-old cable show.
Again, none of this glass-half-full thinking should suggest the ratings decline for TWD is irrelevant or unimportant. Yes, lots of folks are opting out of the linear TV universe altogether, so a decent chunk of TWD’s ratings falloff can likely be chalked up to viewers who’ll simply wait until they can binge the full season on Netflix. But even in this new era of decline, losing one-third of your audience over the space of a year — and about half your audience over the past two or three years — suggests some viewers simply aren’t down with where the show has gone creatively over the past couple of seasons. Some TWD watchers think AMC is aware of the need for new creative energy on the show, noting its recent promotion of showrunner Scott Gimple to a new role overseeing the entire TWD universe. The move will result in Angela Kang taking the reins as the new day-to-day showrunner next season, and a chance for a creative reset.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

This is one of seemingly only 2 vaguely active threads so.....

I thought I'd give this series a go yesterday. I got almost 3 episodes in before I decided I couldn't take 8 seasons of this. Same old same old tired formula characters and situations.

I did search through episode synopsis's to find out when, if any, Rick beats up Shane for diddling his wife and neonazi Merle gets killed and looked at those clips,  I needed that 'closure' from watching those first 3 episodes, lol

Edited by 100Proof