Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

The younger of the two bros is the epitome of empathy, the emotional yin to Dean’s two-fisted yang. A more reluctant hero – and the onetime vessel for frequent big bad Lucifer (Mark Pellegrino) – Sam often finds himself at odds with Dean because of his caring nature.

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Like, I get that there's this widespread desire to cast the brothers as two contrasting parts of a whole, but holy shit! Did the writer only read the season 1 synopsis as reference and lift the broadest possible stereotypes off both their characters?

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Like, I get that there's this widespread desire to cast the brothers as two contrasting parts of a whole, but holy shit! Did the writer only read the season 1 synopsis as reference and lift the broadest possible stereotypes off both their characters?

I think that the original writerly intention was that Sam was both No. 1 AND No. 2, but then Jensen Ackles happened. Anything else I'd have to say would belong in another thread, so I'll just leave things at that in this one.

• Love 1
50 minutes ago, BabySpinach said:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

The funniest thing is that in the first episode, empathetic Sam tells his clearly needful and caring brother to kick stones. In episode two, he wants to leave the VOTW to twist in the wind in pursuit of his revenge. LOL!

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

The funniest thing is that in the first episode, empathetic Sam tells his clearly needful and caring brother to kick stones. In episode two, he wants to leave the VOTW to twist in the wind in pursuit of his revenge. LOL!

How can anyone watch episode 3 and not say Dean isn't empathic

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 5

How can anyone watch episode 3 and not say Dean isn't empathic

Because in that article he is coded as the "badass". And one of the clichés of badasses are that they are not the caring, empathic ones, no matter how often they are shown to be. Shy bookworms are the caring ones. And so on. It`s hilarious to claim to want complex characters and then still break them down to one thing only as if have each just one dominant personality trait. Maybe people got too much Harry Potter sorting hats, Hunger Games districts and Divergent factions in their systems.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, BabySpinach said:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

I have a feeling the author of the article hasn't watched the show.  They probably were going off the press release from the premiere.  Clearly that doesn't describe the characters they evolved into very quickly in S1.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, BabySpinach said:

WHAT. THE. FUCK.

LOL. I loved the "Dean is a superhero....BUT..." which erases all she said before.  I just had to laugh at the whole thing. So bad.  I guess I'll have to take further replies to B v J...cause.....good grief.

• Love 1

Hey, it's always nice to get your name in the paper, so I'll take the publicity on behalf of the show.  The "Dean is the tough guy and Sam is the empathetic one" is clearly an over-simplification of who they are.  It isn't that Dean doesn't care, it's that he's not good with the touchy feely stuff.  So for the most part, Sam has been the one to talk to the victims because Dean has been shown to be just too blunt sometimes, and he's been known to freak people out a bit.  I do think that's a consistent theme of the show, but it certainly doesn't mean that Dean has no empathy, or that he's a bad person, or that he never comforts victims.  We know that's not true.  But part of his charm from the beginning was that he just says what he thinks, and doesn't sugar coat things.  At least that was one of the things that I loved about him from the start.

• Love 6

Oh. Em. Chuck!  Fan Fiction is one of my favorites.  So many great lines, the looks on the boy's faces when they first realize what they are seeing is hilarious, and Dean breaking the fourth wall is absolutely worth the price of admission.  rofl 

• Love 7