Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E10: Number Three

AmandaPanda
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Pallas said:

I could see how that might happen down the road, but not as long as Kate and Toby live in California. 

That would be a little too much "just like Mom" although they brought him in the picture for some reason. It will take a while for Randall (or Kate for that matter) to be in a good place to adopt so maybe toward the end of the year. I think for continuity that fostering on TV might not be a good idea, but adopting will. 

I suppose the second half will be Jack's impending death and the funeral, I just don't know how long they will drag it out, final show or having a few more episodes after a follow up.  Kevin said he got better in time for his dad's funeral so do we wait for cast removal and a Steelers game?  I hope it's not dragged out too much, he's mostly a memory anyway and so many holes can't be filled without the discussions.

I still feel the fire wont be his direct death although it seems like it, this show is always looking for twists.

9 hours ago, TheGourmez said:

In a lasting long-term relationship, I guess, but do we know how long Kevin and Sophie were together and married?

When Kevin was trying to woo back Sophie last year, she said something to the effect of "my ex-husband whom I haven't seen in twelve years," so they divorced when they were 24. If they stayed together all throughout high school and afterwards (and given that they've been "in love" since they were ten), that's a pretty long relationship.

1 hour ago, debraran said:

It will take a while for Randall (or Kate for that matter) to be in a good place to adopt so maybe toward the end of the year.

I know Randall and Beth decided to take a break from fostering, but have they told the agency? I can see them getting a call telling them that a sweet little boy is in desperate need of a home, and that their family would be perfect for him, and Randall and Beth not being able to say no despite what they agreed earlier.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Pallas said:

I could see how that might happen down the road, but not as long as Kate and Toby live in California. 

Did the scene of the little boy specify he was in New Jersey or something?  I missed that.  

2 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I know Randall and Beth decided to take a break from fostering, but have they told the agency? I can see them getting a call telling them that a sweet little boy is in desperate need of a home, and that their family would be perfect for him, and Randall and Beth not being able to say no despite what they agreed earlier.

I hope that happens, they need some new blood to stir things up a bit after the funeral and putting the 'how did Jack die" mystery to bed. I can see Randall getting into taking his new son out and about and some jealousy with the girls although he loves them all. Beth might see it more clearly than he does at first. I don't know if Kate will get pregnant again but if she does, they hopefully will get her through it, maybe an early delivery but baby is fine. Its hard having babies though on TV, can't have much air time, actors are more grounded with the baby unless they have nannies, but Kate has loving grandparents near by if she needs to go out. And you can imagine, if show stays on, the mothering issues they both will go through.

I feel Kate has too many issues right now and Kevin about their dad that for almost half their lifetime haven't really worked out. Seeing them become more healthy mentally will be nice and if done right, might help others feeling similar feelings.

Edited by debraran
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Did the scene of the little boy specify he was in New Jersey or something?  I missed that.  

Yeah, it was the Essex County social services office. Though only New Jerseyans are likely to know it, Essex is the NJ county whose seat is Newark, the state's largest city and one with a high poverty rate.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, bros402 said:

and super unlikely, since, you know, DUI

If he cleaned up his act, went through a recognized program, perhaps it could happen - or maybe the boy somehow helps Kevin. Just seems more obvious to be about Randall or Kate, and the writers/producers like a twist.

I don't see Kevin adopting any child.  He's not good with keeping women around and he's a mess right now.  Even if he cleans up his act, he doesn't need the stress of raising a child alone.  In reality, if the county that is handling the fostering of the mystery little boy is on the East Coast, how is Kevin going to even be eligible to foster or adopt him?

• Love 3

If Kevin really wanted a child in his life, and could clean up his act, he might eventually qualify to be a Big Brother or something. But from BBBS eligibility requirements, it would take at least three years.

• Love 2

Adoption agencies have a lot of requirements, including age and weight requirements. Kate would have to lose a lot of weight and maybe Toby too, to be approved. Rebecca and Miguel are too old to be approved. There really is so much that goes into being approved to legally adopt, which totally benefits the child. They want healthy, stable and younger parents. Many things can make or break an adoption. Not so much to foster kids though....

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Songbird said:

Adoption agencies have a lot of requirements, including age and weight requirements. Kate would have to lose a lot of weight and maybe Toby too, to be approved. Rebecca and Miguel are too old to be approved. There really is so much that goes into being approved to legally adopt, which totally benefits the child. They want healthy, stable and younger parents. Many things can make or break an adoption. Not so much to foster kids though....

Thanks for pointing this out.  People like to launch into their fantasies of what could happen on a fictional show, but as long as the show is supposed to be based on reality, they need to pay attention to the details of the real world.

• Love 1

I think William and jack are going to come back from the dead and adopt the boy together.  No, actually I think Randall and Beth are going to adopt him.  I know that this show likes it twits, but some things are just what they seem they are.

• Love 6
On 12/10/2017 at 1:00 AM, Songbird said:

Weight requirements sounds like discrimination so I googled it a little to see.  It sounds like it's usually a foreign country like China with rules like that and is rare for it to be an issue in US adoptions?  

35 minutes ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

Weight requirements sounds like discrimination so I googled it a little to see.  It sounds like it's usually a foreign country like China with rules like that and is rare for it to be an issue in US adoptions?  

I just looked and found a news report (10 years old) that says obesity is one of many factors considered.  It can be an issue where it would jeopardize stability -- the goal of permanency for the child is at risk.  It seems like if overall health is scrutinized, then yes, Kate could have a problem being approved. 

• Love 1

I really like stories that focus on jack and rebecca and i really like stories that focus on randall and beth, but these last three episodes sortve highlighted to me that theres really not enough story here for kevin and kate. I want to be interested in them, but full episodes focused on them just didnt draw my interest in the organic way as when other characters are the center of attention. kate needs more story aside from her weight, and kevin is really at his best when interacting with others yet he spent his whole episode brooding w strangers. I know these episodes were an attempt to flesh them out more, but some how they still seem sortve surface level. I'm not sure if theyve found a depth to them outside of belonging to 'big three' yet

• Love 4

@Pumpkin I kinda agree with you about the Kevin and Kate. In a way it was nice to see a bit more of them and try to understand them better but as you said there wasn’t a huge amount there to play with. They both had there pluses and minus, Kevin was now at rock bottom and was gutted when he froze up at Randall’s about his problem. Hopefully they DUI will now alert the others to his issues. 

I did like Kate’s episode mainly for the flashbacks to understanding her worries but honestly I want to know more about her relationship with Rebecca. The teenage stuff I kind of get but her adult stuff not so much. I want to know how it fractured and the reasons behind Kate’s resentments towards Rebecca - who seems just as confused as me sometimes. 

19 hours ago, -pj- said:

@Pumpkin I kinda agree with you about the Kevin and Kate. In a way it was nice to see a bit more of them and try to understand them better but as you said there wasn’t a huge amount there to play with. They both had there pluses and minus, Kevin was now at rock bottom and was gutted when he froze up at Randall’s about his problem. Hopefully they DUI will now alert the others to his issues. 

I did like Kate’s episode mainly for the flashbacks to understanding her worries but honestly I want to know more about her relationship with Rebecca. The teenage stuff I kind of get but her adult stuff not so much. I want to know how it fractured and the reasons behind Kate’s resentments towards Rebecca - who seems just as confused as me sometimes. 

All we have to work with is that Kate always resented her mom, just for being slim.  Again, can we get some character development on Kate that is not related to her looks?

2 hours ago, qtpye said:

All we have to work with is that Kate always resented her mom, just for being slim.  Again, can we get some character development on Kate that is not related to her looks?

She also resented her mother for being able to sing better than her! 

• Love 3

That happens sometimes but there is a lot more going on than minor jealousy. I find it odd that the writers have her so jealous, so angry at her mom, but she blames herself (not Rebecca) for her dad's death. Whether is was her asking him to do something or him helping her in some way, you'd think she would be nicer to her mother since they both felt his loss. I doubt anyone blamed her but the anger to me is displaced to some degree. It's implied that she gained a lot of weight after his death and maybe if they had family group therapy , it might have helped air some grievances but there are a lot of holes still to fill.

I think they all needed therapy after Jacks sudden death. But maybe with ending secondary they decided to keep going the according to the plan that was already set. We’re just speculating as the gaps haven’t been filled in yet.  But I think the big three as adults still need therapy to discuss his death. As if Kate  did put on the weight after his death that needs to be dealt with.  

With Kate there must be something more than Rebecca’s weight and singing ability. Which we’ve seen younger Kate’s insecurities about this. However,  I know she mentioned Rebecca wanting her to fulfil the things she didn’t. This doesn’t seem to fit what we know. But let’s hope it answered at some point. 

• Love 2