Type keyword(s) to search

Future Man - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I stumbled upon this without any foreknowledge, so take that in account.

I should have realized when I saw who was behind the project, but holy fuck is this show crude.  Like really fucking crude.  [the OTT cussing is helping to accentuate the crudeness I mentioned]

I dig the idea of the overall mythology and mission, but can't help but wonder what it would look like with a more serious bent - more like 12 Monkeys, and less like something similar to Hot Tub Time Machine.

The acting is ok, not great, but for a mostly outright outrageous comedy, it gets the job done.  Some of the gags are truly humorous - when Josh first meets Tiger and Wolf, its so frightfully awkward for Josh that its hilarious to a viewer.

I got a little kick out of Tiger really wanting the baby.  "Why is that woman carrying a tiny man-thing?"

Then her outburst in the cafe/restaurant,  "You're all fucking dead!  You old man, you, and you baby.  All dead!"

For what it is, its an ok 30-minute time diversion.  Not award-winning, but its time-travel and I am nothing if not a manwhore for sci-fi time-travel when it comes to fictional media.

This episode is actually called "Herpe: Fully Loaded", and while the one given fits also, both would work for it.

I forget what they called it (powering down?) - just another way to label stress relief - but Josh walking into his room as Tiger and Wolf have their pants down going at it.  "You guys want some privacy!?".   The over-exaggerated way they went about it was a bit much, but it was basically finished up and then 'alright, let's go kill people'.  Just another facet of just how crude this show is.  No punches pulled.

The whole fraternity house 'cock-block' mission was pretty funny. 

•  Wolf, in a house full of black people, in the '60s LA:  "I will annihilate your whole mutant race!!"
  •  Josh, watching younger!Dr Kronish trying to get laid:  "How bad does this guy want herpes?!"
  •  Partygoer on phone, after Josh's Moondancing:  "Hey Tito, you know that dance move your little brother Michael's been looking for?  I think I just found him one."
  •  Barbarella, to Josh after winning the dance-off:  "If you fuck near as good as you dance, I'll be a happy woman."
  •  House leader to the rest:  "Man, its the cops.... and their beating up white dudes!"  *crowd cheers*
  • Love 1

I think its hilarious because I'm a guy and only think with my penis, but that exchange between Josh's mom and Tiger when getting her ready to be Josh's 'date' and then the Wolf's no-filter sharing of the mouth love he received tickled the funny bone.  "Oh, and you'll need to replace the hand towel."

Talk about free-spirited child rearing.  When I was Josh's age, if I ever told my parent(s) to fuck off, I'd have been spitting bloody teeth out.

Kinda sucked that Jeri turned out to be a 'perf Biotic', but they seem to angling toward a Josh/Tiger endgame, slightly... at times, here and there.

Was literally LOLing when the Biotics were scanning Josh's room and found blood residue from Jeri... but then all the semen residue spots from Josh.

• Love 1

I do appreciate the consequences not being ignored.  Gun replaces picture on the wall, cop with a grudge for dead partner, etc.

I like their simplistic style.  Plan A failed, so now its plan B - aka kill everyone.

Wolf:  "I want to kill Kronish."
Tour leader:  "Oh, well... would anyone else like to see Dr Kronish die?"
*all hands end up raised*

• Love 2

I was pleasantly surprised at how funny I'm finding the show. Josh Hutcherson is hilarious; "How bad does this guy want herpes?" left me dying, as did his "Get used to that!" after the one guy said he didn't like Bill Cosby anymore. 

5 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

•  Partygoer on phone, after Josh's Moondancing:  "Hey Tito, you know that dance move your little brother Michael's been looking for?  I think I just found him one."

I loved the line that came right after that too. "Let me describe it for you!" 

• Love 3

James Cameron, a doomed love between Wolf & a talking house AI [S-I-G-O-U-R-N-E-Y], and the giving resuscitation/CPR to Josh scene are all one really needs to know about this episode.  There's also a nice little mostly-comedy free "heart to heart" between Josh & Tiger as well.

So, the big cliffhanger;  Turns out Tiger is a Biotic, or at least immune to the chemical agents designed to take out the non-immunized resistance fighters.

I'm sensing a Tiger/Josh lean from that reveal, and her being a little baby-crazy [& wanting a blood/DNA-sharing family] in the latter part of the first season will not (any longer) be just wistful ponderings of a never-possible future for her.

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

I really liked it.  Hutcherson really gave me a Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future vibe.  The crudeness level was a little rough at times but not enough for me to shut it off.  

2 hours ago, 90PercentGravity said:

That was a lot of penis.

I know they were fake prosthetics, but I was taken back a bit when they showed the full-on frontals.  And then did so again. 

I wouldn't specifically look at that area on another man, but I didn't remember noticing the "mane" that Wolf was so proud of having before his and Josh's junk got switched during a time jump.

I was surprised - in a good way - about the character development and growth for Tiger, Wolf & Jo(o)sh between the pilot and the end of the season.

Going by just the Pilot, I expected nothing but gags and raunch without little actual development either in plot or characters, but I was wrong.  Wolf had the biggest turnaround, (for me) he went from "hope this guy is sidelined a lot" to "this guy is awesome!".

• Love 4

Really good episode and im pissed at myself for not calling that jeri was one of them. Although it was funny i never thought i would hope like josh did that she shat her dress ha! Tiger using the dress was amazing it makes men weak (like the douche said so weak lol) finally finding a use for heels and making him lick his fingers was awesome!

Wolfs love of cooking made my day just a dream that he will never acheive because he is a soldier but that speech he gave was hilarious to motivate the cooks! Also beat those eggs! "Your shell is weak"!!!!!

• Love 1
On 15-11-2017 at 2:39 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I think its hilarious because I'm a guy and only think with my penis, but that exchange between Josh's mom and Tiger when getting her ready to be Josh's 'date' and then the Wolf's no-filter sharing of the mouth love he received tickled the funny bone.  "Oh, and you'll need to replace the hand towel."

Talk about free-spirited child rearing.  When I was Josh's age, if I ever told my parent(s) to fuck off, I'd have been spitting bloody teeth out.

Kinda sucked that Jeri turned out to be a 'perf Biotic', but they seem to angling toward a Josh/Tiger endgame, slightly... at times, here and there.

Was literally LOLing when the Biotics were scanning Josh's room and found blood residue from Jeri... but then all the semen residue spots from Josh.

Agree 100% to all of this! I just knew he never had one of these blowjob things (rat hole to penis lol) before because they only use sex to power down or whatever i also forget what they called it. I died of laughter as well when he came in the room and said it so casually. But my favorite line was when she told wolf to meet her in the other room and he just said "i will do whatever you say"!!!! Ha!

Josh "interrogating" jeri was awsome sure the fate of the world is at stake but the one thing he needs to know is if she really liked him or was it just a con lol im glad he used that to get the intel because i would totally buy that thats all he cared about.

I cant wait to watch the next episode i really wanna see how james camron gets camronium.

• Love 1

Did not understand why Josh was so glum after the recharging. 

Overall the first season was a success, although Josh's suicide of Joosh was a deeply strange turn. 

Not at all sure that undoing the story won't retroactively ruin it. At this point I can't think of a reason for them to come back. to Josh. 

It was painfully obvious when they lost Glenne Headly. 

On 11/23/2017 at 7:56 AM, sjohnson said:

Well, as Wolf said, he (Wolf) was fucking Josh with his own cock. That can't be very reassuring. Also, Josh maybe of the opinion that it is the size of the wave, not the motion of the ocean that makes a good recharge.

• Love 1
On 11/23/2017 at 7:56 AM, sjohnson said:

Assuming it wasn't just implied, and Wolf really did f* Josh with 'his own cock', then maybe its more of Josh thought his volunteering to help recharge would be just Tiger & himself - after she was done with Wolf - and not being involved in a free-for-all orgy.  Also, maybe it was just a simple case that he didn't swing that way, but still had to take it like a man for the benefit of the team.

Let me just preface this by saying I am a middle-aged white woman who has never been a gamer. I totally loved this series! I thought it was hilarious and avoided cliches. I’m recommending this to everyone I know who has Hulu, but I have no idea if anyone will actually watch it.

• Love 2
On 11/19/2017 at 10:50 AM, Doyounot said:

I died of laughter as well when he came in the room and said it so casually.

I loved this scene because Wanda wasn't embarrassed about it at all. I kind of love Wanda.

• Love 1

It's a shame more people aren't watching this show, it turned out to be a little gem.  I developed some serious warm and fuzzy feelings for Wolf. That guy just stole the show and that wasn't easy to do with all the great actors that were in this. 

On 12/23/2017 at 6:40 PM, Lawgiver said:

I’m recommending this to everyone I know who has Hulu, but I have no idea if anyone will actually watch it.

Yep, I've already started and my son who watched with me is going to tell all his friends to watch.

• Love 1

Just stumbled on this series in the last week

I thought it relied a bit too heavily on the nostalgia angle, but overall I found the series very enjoyable. 

SIGOURN....E was hilarious.  I wish she and Janet from The Good Place could be friends somehow

On ‎6‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:35 AM, festivus said:

I cracked up when I realized Wolf was laying on the Titanic door. Yes, that door is huge! Plenty big enough for two.

Not according to world renowned door expert James Cameron. 

Also I really didn't know where anything was heading and was surprised how season one ended. 

21 hours ago, DrSpaceman said:

Just stumbled on this series in the last week

I thought it relied a bit too heavily on the nostalgia angle, but overall I found the series very enjoyable. 

SIGOURN....E was hilarious.  I wish she and Janet from The Good Place could be friends somehow

Not according to world renowned door expert James Cameron. 

Also I really didn't know where anything was heading and was surprised how season one ended. 

I think the best way to describe how I started, and then finished this first season was; 

"Is this how the whole thing is gonna be like?  I don't know if I wanna stick it out...... *couple episodes later*  Holy cow!  Can't wait to binge the rest!". 
And after it was over;  "Give me MOAR!  NOW!!".

• Love 2
On 15.11.2017 at 2:11 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

I stumbled upon this without any foreknowledge, so take that in account.

Me too. Just saw this on prime. After the first episode I was hooked and binged the whole thing.

Just found out there will be a second season soon. So hype. For a moment there I was afraid this would go the way of the other weird scifi show I loved a few years back (tripped) and only have one season. Also found out in the trailer for season two that this is from Seth Rogan and company. Makes sense.

So it seems like Tiger is one of the superhumans? That's certainly interesting. Let's see if it gets explored next season.

On 15.11.2017 at 2:39 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

then the Wolf's no-filter sharing of the mouth love he received tickled the funny bone.  "Oh, and you'll need to replace the hand towel."

I mean we see that thing later on Josh (Pretty convincing prosthesis in the right light from the side, btw., a lot less convincing from the front in good light). I wonder how she didn't dislocate her jaw. Jesus.

Btw. I assume the other dick we saw in that scene was the actors real one, since it looked real from all angles and there wasn't much hair that would have hiden any seasms. That thing is already pretty impressive. No time travel dick swap needed.

On 15.11.2017 at 9:58 PM, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

James Cameron, a doomed love between Wolf & a talking house AI [S-I-G-O-U-R-N-E-Y], and the giving resuscitation/CPR to Josh scene are all one really needs to know about this episode.  There's also a nice little mostly-comedy free "heart to heart" between Josh & Tiger as well.

Now I'm really wondering what the deal between Rogan and Cameron is...

On 16.6.2018 at 5:35 PM, festivus said:

I cracked up when I realized Wolf was laying on the Titanic door. Yes, that door is huge! Plenty big enough for two.

But it doesn't float that well. The mythbusters did a test. If Kate and Jack had tied their life preservers to the underside of the door, it would have held them both over water (remember the problem wasn't swimming it was hypothermia from the cold water), but if they would have thought of it in this high stress moment, is a bit doubtfull.

• Love 1

Season two:

Man they really had no budget, did they? What was that, four locations, most of them in enclosed rooms? Still liked it. They made that work. Though not as good as the first season. The contraints kinda showed. I think because of that they stayed in the future the whole time and that took a lot of the fun out of it.

That whole split timeline thing doesn't work at all with all the dead versions of them though. They should have never even seen them when they were running. Basically everytime they met themselves disproved the split timeline thing.

I guess they still could be convicted for time crime and sentenced to death by gameshow, but then why wouldn't they have been pulled earlier? Their shenanigans would have sent shockwaves through time and changed the future significantly. I probably shouldn't even try to think about all that time travel stuff this hard, but I can't help it.

Edited by Miles
  • Love 1
On 1/16/2019 at 2:51 AM, Miles said:

I guess they still could be convicted for time crime and sentenced to death by gameshow, but then why wouldn't they have been pulled earlier? Their shenanigans would have sent shockwaves through time and changed the future significantly. I probably shouldn't even try to think about all that time travel stuff this hard, but I can't help it.

Susan kept lying to them, so for all we know he made up all that stuff about the split timelines and their other versions messing up time.

I was thinking about that, but the whole timetravel doesn't make sense anyway in a few places. Sometimes it seems like split timelines, sometimes it doesn't.

The whole past selfes of them getting slaughtered in the hallway didn't make sense anyway. They all should have made it into the control room.

Oh well.

• Love 1

Agree that it was not as good as the first season with a limited scope.  Still fun to watch though

I don't know what to believe about the last episode.  Not sure if he was lying to them about all that or not. 

Torque/Wolf can make a great life for himself anywhere. 

• Love 1

Finally finished watching Season 2

How come no one in any of the Mons locations asked why there were no spaceships ?  In order to take them to the sky sparkle, and I'm assuming eventually to Mars.

Maybe turning Stu evil was a byproduct of the transfer process of uploading himself into the computer, though he was kind of evil in a couple of the timelines in Season 1. 
One minor flaw in Stu's plan -- if the killbots killed everyone else after the volunteers all "went to Mars", who was going to be around to fix/make computer components, power plants, etc. to maintain the virtual environment ?  Did the killbots turn into repairbots after all the remaining humans were dead ?

Why were they the Santa Clarita County Time Constables ?  That seems oddly specific -- does every county have a Time Constabulary ? 
And why were they dressed in late 19th century style clothing ?  Yet Susan was not.

I'm curious as well if what Susan said about ripping the hole in time/space killing 85 trillion aliens was legit -- or was just bullshit.

I'm just glad that Lugnut got a happy ending in the past with the rest of Torque's family -- and Hoobastank played at her wedding.

Some surprising reveals:
-- Wolf beat the crap out of James Cameron so he wouldn't make Terminator 2
-- despite significant changes to the timeline Festivus is still celebrated in 2162
-- Stu somehow had time to build 12 million killbots, that seems like way too many killbots to take down an unarmed population
-- Tiger was a biotic all along
-- Keys from computer keyboards are called chits and used for money in the The Nag
-- New Pangaea is the name of the nation (or maybe the planet) in 3491
-- The Diecathlon is now in its 100th season on Damnation Island
-- when Diane buried Torque in her bedroom, she placed a small wrench amongst the flowers (a torque wrench perhaps ?)

During Stu's flashbacks when they discovered that Josh/Joosh was the glitch in his programming, you saw lots of backstory about Josh/Joosh after the events of the Season 1 finale:
-- New York Post - Little Boy Blew - Game Over! Kronish Bomber Arrested (accompanied by his LAPD mugshot)
-- LA Review -- Kronabomber remorseless - Futturman's mental state called into question
-- Kronabomber Trial enters 2nd week - Suspected Terrorist Joosh Futturman sat silently in court today as another full day of testimony spilled against him
-- Time Magazine - Cold-blooded killer or Madman ? The answer is both (with a picture of Joosh/Josh on the cover).
-- Death Game - The Joosh Futturman Story - The Inside Story of America's most Confounding Terrorist - Author: Vincent Skarsgaard, Detective (ret.)
-- And the Tower Went Kablooey - The Joosh "JFUTZ" Futturman Story -- starring Josh Hutcherson, Haley Joel Osment and Eliza Coupe

Liked the cameos by Seth Rogen and Kurtwood Smith.

I just binged through the whole series in a matter of days, and season 1 was some of the most hilarious stuff I've seen on TV in awhile. I was dying at least once an episode. The 70s frat house, Wolf's drug escapades, the blowjob scene, Josh's parents (both present day and flashback), the first "charge up" scene. It was so outrageous and fun to watch. Loved the time jumping, loved the cast interaction, LOVED Wolf. 

I was pretty disappointed in season 2, unfortunately. It kept me interested for the most part, but I'm not sure I laughed out loud even once. It only picked up towards the end when the main cast were working together again, but even then it didn't really capture the brilliance of season 1. I think a big part of the humor was in Tiger and Wolf not understanding societal norms in the past, so the future setting didn't do many favors for the show. The only bits I really loved in season 2 showed the bond between those two and Tiger struggling with them being on the outs (those actors have great chemistry). Hated the NAG storyline- I get that Wolf adapts to any situation, but it seemed abrupt for him to just accept this family life (which I was bored to tears by) and put the biotic mission behind him completely. Ty-anna was unbearable to watch until her Achilles reveal. I just think it dragged for the most part and there was a lot of missed opportunity. Tiger's whole identity as a biotic had a lot more potential than what they did with it.

I do kind of love the joke that Josh is treated as an expendable third wheel on his own show. One of my favorite moments of the series is the CPR scene when they're about to write him off as a loss rather than have to go rathole to rathole. "He died a hero's death". I really hope the show picks up momentum again in season 3 with a faster pace than the last.

• Love 3

I just finished the second season and all I have to say is I am really excited for the third. The second season was ok, but it was not as great as the first

• Love 2

The second season wasn't as good as the first but I still enjoyed it. My favorite part was Ty-Anne. I loved that voice. Wolf can just adapt to anything. Nothing will ever top him in the 80s though.

Hope it gets renewed. I like the game show idea.

• Love 1