Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E02: Say Yes to Distress

• Start Topic

I thought that Cynthia's "date" arranged by her "close mutual friend" (Bravo's casting director) was as creepy as hell. His age isn't the strangest thing. Who ever told Cynthia it was safe to go to a stranger's home, fully dressed to the nines,and continue to enter the unfinished house that was surrounded by chickens (?) to the disembodied voice of someone who then wanted to cover your eyes with a furry blindfold and then bring you to a PHOTOSHOOT of all things.  Then he takes you to his studio which is set up like the corniest scene from every romantic novel - God!  Why wasn't she out the door within minutes?  Someone was punking you, Cyn!   By the way, Sheree, a whole season watching you with that mop on you head for your TH's is going to be hard. On whose advice did you  choose that look?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, Crazydoxielady said:

I am happy to be the one to tell Shamea the truth about weddings: other than your parents; nobody cares and it’s all money drama and a burden. 

This is crazy wrong when it comes to Africans (and many other immigrant groups). They care...so much. They care if they are invited. They care if they've been asked to make a speech or participate in the ceremony or reception. They care if they've been asked to wear the colors of the bride's side or the groom's. They care if they've been mentioned in the program. They care about bringing their own wedding favors to both demonstrate how rich they are and how close they are to the family.

When my oldest brother was married, he had to send two rounds of invitations that he sent out. The first round was people they actually wanted at the wedding. The second round was people they had to invite, but they didn't want to come to the wedding. The latter was largely in Europe and Africa. They received those invitations about 2 and a half weeks before the wedding and hopefully too late to RSVP. Some still FedExed their responses. Plus, he had about 50 people who weren't invited crash the wedding. All told, he had about 500 people at his wedding.

My next oldest brother eloped. My family and my parents' friends were pissed. We only stopped hearing about how upset these folks were when one of my other brothers married 3 years ago. This was 10 years after my other brother eloped. This last brother invited to his wedding all of those people, who were pissed about not being invited to the last wedding. Some American groups might not care, but a whole host of others do.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 13

Ok, I am watching this again (waiting for Orange County - yes, I have no life - actually postponing cleaning out the fridge).  I carefully watched the close captioned condition Porsha said she has.  Vasovagal syncope is what came up on google (not syndrome - I think she said syndrome).  Anyhow, from the Mayo Clinic, it is related to low blood pressure, but triggers are when you see something that shocks you, causing fainting, like for some it's seeing blood.  Causes can be a lot of things:  standing for long periods of time, heat exposure, seeing blood, having blood drawn, fear of bodily injury, and straining as in a bowel movement.  It says if you're feeling like you're going to faint, lie down, etc (I got this from the Mayo Clinic website, so I kind of take their information over Ms. Underground Railroad). 

If she didn't want to go, then just say it.  If they were close friends, then yeah, it's kind of a shitty move, but I don't see Porsha as being a giving friend.  Porsha is a spoiled child; it's all about her.  If someone is kissing her ass, then she'll do their bidding.  It's inconvenient for her to go to the wedding, she doesn't want to go, so she's not going to expend any energy on someone else.  

Sounds like Shamea's husband has family in Kenya, so it's not a let's just get married in an exotic destination wedding.  Sure she could have gotten married in Atlanta, but she may be accommodating her husband - maybe he has a ton of family who absolutely could not get to the US for the ceremony.  These women jump on a plane to go shopping, so I doubt it's a huge deal really to any of them.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

It was a beautiful day and Shamea is going to someday look back on this and wish she’d done the same.

Shemea's husband is from Kenya, there were friends and family of both of them there and it was going to be a destination for someone's friends and family wherever they held it. It wouldn't surprise me if it was decided to marry in Kenya because his friends and relatives might not have the same resources.

I have gone to several weddings that were destination weddings that occurrd because one of my friends was from that country. It always turned out an interesting mix of guests because some people who were super close to the couple couldn't go for a variety of reasons and people who were less close who jumped at the excuse.

• Love 7

Sounds like Shamea's husband has family in Kenya, so it's not a let's just get married in an exotic destination wedding.  Sure she could have gotten married in Atlanta, but she may be accommodating her husband - maybe he has a ton of family who absolutely could not get to the US for the ceremony. 

Visa-wise, it's also much easier for American citizens to visit Kenya than the other way around.

• Love 3

I thought Porsha and Shamea were suppose to be really good friends too. 

I’ve been to a couple destination weddings. One was pretty important for a good friend and I made it happen for a good friend even though I was broke back then. The other I didn’t care about the ppl at all and just wanted to go somewhere warm. Porsha could make it happen if she wanted. She’s a dumb bitch. 

Pretty boring episode. Cynthia’s bath scene  made me laugh but also cringe lol. So extra fake.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I got married 3 months ago, we didn’t register for gifts, got married at home with only family present, and had a reception at our church with friends and family present. It was a beautiful day and Shamea is going to someday look back on this and wish she’d done the same.

Awwww!! congratulations cooks and mr. delight!!! 

11 hours ago, hoosier80 said:

Ok, I am watching this again (waiting for Orange County - yes, I have no life - actually postponing cleaning out the fridge). 

There's no way to tell from your SN, but you just confirmed that you're a woman lmaooo!   If I could ask the universe one question it wouldn't be what is the meaning of life, it'd be why won't men ever clean out the fridge, universe?   I'll tackle toilet seat terminals, twice before opening the fridge door. 

2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Shamea can have a ceremony in Kenya, and one in Atlanta. People do it all the time, for those who cannot travel for whatever reason. Problem solved!

mmm hmm, this is called the "western wedding" - I must not be following closely, that's actually what I thought she'd done.   I guess it was just the dowry and shower prelim stuff. 

• Love 6
8 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I have gone to several weddings that were destination weddings that occurrd because one of my friends was from that country. It always turned out an interesting mix of guests because some people who were super close to the couple couldn't go for a variety of reasons and people who were less close who jumped at the excuse.

My friend married a French man and they married in France and had a US reception in her hometown a few months later. They celebrate their anniversary on the day they married in France. The invitation had both receptions on it; you could RSVP to one, both, or neither. For the most part their immediate families went to both and everybody else (myself included) went to the one in their home country. I thought that was a good way to do it.

Sheree needs a therapist and closed-door, not televised sessions.

• Love 3
On 11/13/2017 at 8:28 AM, Baltimore Betty said:

I just looked at Shamea's Bed, Bath & Beyond wedding registry, she registered for very expensive china, silver and crystal, none purchased but a few of the $50 and under items were bought.  So if her friends are declining to spend big bucks on a gift, forking over $5000 on airline tickets was not going to happen. 

Or, people bought tickets to go, and then are buying token gifts since being there is a gift itself

• Love 1

Porsha's trigger is..... NOT BEING THE CENTER OF ATTENTION!! She'd faint if she was passed over by the bride! Plus, just between us, I think Porsha's kinda jealous of anyone who has what she wants... baby.. man..  She is THIRSTY! 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, shedevil1111 said:

I don't care much for Porsha, but I do think the way that Shamea brought it up, and on camera and in front of Kandi and her friend was a bitch move. 

It definitely was. They're both wrong, IMO. Porsh is making stupid excuses when she just flat out doesn't want to go, and Shamea is trying to create a scene. 

• Love 1
On 11/16/2017 at 9:47 AM, shedevil1111 said:

I don't care much for Porsha, but I do think the way that Shamea brought it up, and on camera and in front of Kandi and her friend was a bitch move. 

It was, but since it was directed at Mean Girl, Perpetual Victim Porsha, I didn't mind!

• Love 2