Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04: Chapter Sixty-Eight

When Jane learns that Rafael  introduced Mateo to his new girlfriend, Katherine, without her consent she gets angry since she thinks Katherine has a negative influence on both Rafael and Mateo. Jane turns to Petra for help with the situation with Rafael, but Petra makes Jane an offer she can’t refuse. Now that the baby is born, Rogelio and Darci struggle to choose a name for the baby they both agree on. Meanwhile, Xo is focused on growing the dance studio and decides to go into business with an unlikely foe.

Promo:

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

Rafael and Alba interacting is something I thought would make for interesting character material ever since the first season, so I like that they’ve finally done something along those lines this year. In general, actually, I think Rafael’s interactions with Jane’s parents could also be fleshed out more.

The playground fight between Jane and Petra was hilarious, particularly the kids’ amused reactions.

I kind of hope Luisa succeeds at burning down the hotel, mainly because the characters constantly fighting over ownership of it is perhaps a bit tired at this point. It’d also be a setup for Rafael to really go and do something else with his life.

“Baby” is a terrible name, which I gather is the point going by the way everybody else (including Esteban) react to it.

• Love 4

A lot to absorb in this episode. But it did occur to me that not very much time could have passed since the previous episode when Jane's leg was still in a cast. So I was suprised to see Jane running a full speed with no apparent pain or limp.

• Love 1

Awwww, I felt bad when Alba said she would miss having Rafael as her workout partner and his response was to tell her that when he got his money back he would get her a trainer and a gym membership. How about promising to work out together once a week, Raf?

But worse was the gross way he was treating Jane. He didn't tell her that he introduced Mateo to Katherine and then he told Mateo to keep it a secret that Katherine gave him an ipad, knowing that Jane didn't want him to have one yet. When confronted about his lies and deception, his response was to tell her he did it because he knew she would react like this. Oh, good. Tell a woman that she's just too emotional and overreacting to you lying. Douche Rafael suuuuuuuucks.

Sorry, Rogelio and Darcy, but Baby is a STUPID name. Do you really want your daughter to be infantilized for the rest of her life? And don't forget the endless Dirty Dancing jokes that she will undoubtedly enjoy. Mr. EB has a name that was made famous by an old movie so 90% of the time when he meets someone, they quote the movie to him. You can imagine how hilarious and original that is after the first hundred times. They couldn't have at least changed it to Bebe (or Bea/Beatrix/Beatrice) so that she wouldn't get mocked for that stupid name the rest of her life?

I might have teared up when Rogelio said the baby's middle name was Michaelina.

• Love 8

Well, I sure hope no one is putting this Baby in a corner. 

There are also very specific musical theatre fans who will reference Poor Baby when she's older. 

Poor Baby.

I don't know if I'm liking this season, not as much as previous ones. It's a show I still enjoy, but so far this season seems lacklustre after a pretty decent premier 

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

I'm a little peeved that no one pushed back on them for giving their daughter that ridiculous name. Baby as a first name? Lazy on their part and damaging to her future. IMO, people who would do something like that probably shouldn't be parents at all because they've already failed at the first, most basic task. Yes, I do feel very strongly about this issue.

• Love 3
15 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Do you really want your daughter to be infantilized for the rest of her life?

The answer is:  YES!  See:  Making your 20-something Jane pose in a bunch of baby pictures (with Baby!) LOL

• Love 3
22 hours ago, JamieLynn832002 said:

I hate that Rogelio and Darci named the baby Baby. I do love them giving her the middle name Michaelina though. 

And "everyone" thought Petra naming the twins Anna and Elsa was cheesy bad!

Maybe when 'Baby' is a little older she can insist on using her middle name, unfortunately there will always be family around to remind her of her first name.

I hope that poor child's name gets revised ASAP. Any actual name would be better. Or most random nouns! Maybe they should look at My Well-Dressed Toddler Daughter for inspiration. Even those names are much better than Baby.

Finally that stupid Kids'Club made itself worthwhile. I loved the playground fight.

Isn't an author supposed to have an agent before their book is published? The agent helps them get a good contract with the publisher in exchange for a percentage of the money? What do I know; i've never written or published a novel.

I hate how Rafael is such a jerk whenever his business life is suffering. He is a spoiled brat. His tendency to lash out when things aren't going his way is only very slightly above Mateo's level of maturity. I still think Jane's attitude about Rafael's money and rich people in general is unfair, but he is a brat. Using money to make your lives better when you have it isn't wrong, but turning into an asshole when you lose that privilege is.

• Love 2

I can see Baby being dropped in favour of Michaelina as a B or C plotline at some point.

Petra and Jane's fight in the Kids' CLub was hilarious. 

I'm hoping that the Marbella burns down with Luisa inside it. Raf can be the beneficiary or something so he gets the money back but it causes him to rethink its importance. I like the novella aspects of the show but it's repeating the same plotline over and over. The Marbella needs to go or they find some other source of barely plausible drama for a while.  

• Love 1

I rewatched the ending because I couldn't remember it - I totally forgot that Katherine hit Rafael with her car! I'm sure he's fine, but wow. I'm guessing the deal is off.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 6:07 AM, patchwork said:

I'm hoping that the Marbella burns down with Luisa inside it

Me too. I'd forgotten the "Luisa is hallucinating" plot, too. Let's hope her plan succeeds, and they get rid of her and her imaginary friend in the process.

Edited by mrsbagnet
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Enginerd said:

Isn't an author supposed to have an agent before their book is published? The agent helps them get a good contract with the publisher in exchange for a percentage of the money?

Not every author has an agent when they get a book deal. It's like when bands get signed by record labels. Sometimes they get record deals when they don't have an agent or a manager. As long as you are happy with the terms of the contract (advance, payment from sales, number of books/records contracted, etc.) and you have an entertainment lawyer check the fine print (I think Rogelio had one of his lawyers look at Jane's contract before she signed it), then you don't absolutely have to have an agent.

So how long before Katherine runs to Luisa to tell her how Rafael was planning to steal the hotel from her?

• Love 1

I really hope they decide to make Baby short for Bárbara or something appropriate for an adult, but Rogelio definitely isn't that aware.

Rafael has done a really good job of being unlikeable much of this season so far. I'm glad he seemed to listen to Alba, so maybe he'll come around soon. 

Baby is truly a terrible name for a person. Its cute for a baby or toddler, but as an adult? Can you imagine the poor woman going to job interviews with the name baby? Being taken seriously will probably be her one wish in life. This will probably become some kind of Boy Named Sue situation where she has to become some super badass marine or something just to be taken seriously. Maybe she can go by her middle name. I`ll admit it, I teared up a bit right along with Jane when Rogelio said he wanted to give her a middle name after Michael. Almost made up for Baby. Almost. 

Rafael handles money so badly, the guy has serious issues. He gets so nuts whenever he doesn't have vast barrels of cash in his backroom, that he becomes a total asshole, even when he normally isn't. That being said, he did try to do the right thing, and then what happens? Run over with a car. Damn, what message is that from the universe? 

#judgementalowl

I couldn't stop laughing at Petra and Jane fighting all throughout the playground, while their kids just look amused. I always like Petra and Jane, even when they're arguing. Jane really does tend to interfere, but she isn't wrong about this lady being awful, and not wanting the kids to be around her, and being worried that Rafael will downward spiral with her. Which, he probably would if he stayed with her. 

• Love 2

This episode had quite a lot of those funny little moments that reminded me of the good old times. Stage Sensations, #Olwba, Jane's and Petra's interaction, the "Czech proverb"... I enjoyed it. I kinda wish Skanky Xo and (Alba voice) Slotty Cristol could stick together as unlikely partners. It could have been fun. But it was great to see Xiomara interact with someone outside her family for a change. I really like her character and I feel she's been quite underused lately. 

I thought Yeal really did a fabulous job as Anezka in that brief scene. There was something weird about how Anezka acted during her conversation with Luisa and I couldn't quite point my finger to it, but then it made perfect sense. I just hope they're not doing what Grey's Anatomy just did and try to put a character's inexplicable/awful/inexplicably awful behaviour down to a brain tumor, or something like that. Luisa's story really, really, REALLY needs a resolution, but not a cop-out like that.

Rafael was such an asshole throughout the episode, but that ending, ouch.

And to echo what everyone else has already said, they're calling the baby "Baby"? Seriously?!! Not that Michealina is that much better, TBH. Is that even a name? I was desperate for the show to honour Michael in some way, but that was not really my cup of tea. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Joana said:

Not that Michealina is that much better, TBH. Is that even a name? I was desperate for the show to honour Michael in some way, but that was not really my cup of tea. 

Yes, Michealina (also spelled Michelina) is a real name. Another feminine version of Michael is Michaela. 

• Love 2

Michaela is a fairly international name, although, how is the Anglo version pronounced? "Michael-a"? That would be kinda ghastly. :o

I dunno, I'm really not a fan of "Michaelina". I wish it had been a boy and they just called him Michael. Can't have it all, I guess.

Petra's "Oh, you're a writer" to Jane totally cracked me up. She's not the only one who keeps forgetting it!

5 hours ago, Joana said:

Michaela is a fairly international name, although, how is the Anglo version pronounced? "Michael-a"? That would be kinda ghastly. :o

My friend’s high school girlfriend was named Michaela and she pronounced it mee-KAY-la. The newest crop of parents have a million ways to spell it. McKayla Maroney, one of the gold medal gymnasts at the London Olympics, has one variation of the spelling. 

Oh yes, I'm familiar with that one. Both the name and the gymnast. :) Not a fan of that one either. Both the name and the gymnast :D

Still better than Michaelina, though. I don't know why it bugs me so much. But, it's in the memory of Michael (*silent tear*), so I'll deal with it. 

• Love 2

Also, at least in some places 'michelín'  means to have a 'spare tyre', 'love handles' or a 'muffin top'. So yeah, Michaelina is probably close enough that it could remind someone of that at some point (I mean, I thought of it and I'm not even, nor ever have been, a schoolyard bully). Not great as a nickname for a growing girl. There's no hope with any of these names - kid would get teased. She might as well just stick to Baby and make a feature of it.

They should have done a Star Trek shoutout and just given her Michael as a first name. Now that it's been used for the heroine of a TV show, there will probably be a rise in the number of female Michaels in real life this year anyway (actually for sure, as there are even quite a few Uhuras and Jadzias/Ezris out there - compared to that, Michael is nothing unusual). Plus, Ryan Reynolds called his daughter James, and Serena Williams named her daughter Alexis after the daughter's father, so Rogelio would just be part of the current celebrity baby-naming zeitgeist. And the name comes with a tragic and heroic storyline that his beloved gossip magazines would eat with a spoon. And in the real world, most of us viewers would have probably loved it. Missed opportunity, show.

Edited by Lebanna
On 11/5/2017 at 5:22 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

On 11/4/2017 at 9:34 PM, Enginerd said:

Isn't an author supposed to have an agent before their book is published? The agent helps them get a good contract with the publisher in exchange for a percentage of the money?

Not every author has an agent when they get a book deal. It's like when bands get signed by record labels. Sometimes they get record deals when they don't have an agent or a manager. As long as you are happy with the terms of the contract (advance, payment from sales, number of books/records contracted, etc.) and you have an entertainment lawyer check the fine print (I think Rogelio had one of his lawyers look at Jane's contract before she signed it), then you don't absolutely have to have an agent.

This is virtually unheard-of, although an attorney can function as an agent/manager. I don’t know of any publishing house that will look at unagented submissions, for legal reasons. One of my books turned into a very prominent TV show, so I’m familiar w this strange world.

On 11/9/2017 at 1:19 PM, Gasbag said:

I don’t know of any publishing house that will look at unagented submissions, for legal reasons.

Big publishing houses, yes. However, there are many smaller places that look at unagented submissions. I don't remember if it was said/ implied what kind of place published Jane's book.

However, I would think that someone who went to grad school for writing would spend time trying to get an agent. Maybe that was skipped over during the time jump? But then , this show has been generally inaccurate about most things writerl-y and grad school-y, so, whatever.

2 hours ago, ShellSeeker said:

Is Mateo supposed to be a spoiled, undisciplined brat, or do the writers of this show not have kids and think that's how all children his age behave?

His spoiled, undisciplined brattiness was a major plot point in previous episodes. Jane was working on addressing it, but I don't think that's the sort of thing that is immediately cured. I'm glad it's now background noise rather than the focus, though. I don't want my soapy fun entertainment filled with parenting problems all the time.

• Love 2