Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E04: Workplace Bullying

9 hours ago, memememe76 said:

This was easily my most hated episode. Everyone was so mean. And Dina was just awful.

Aside from a few scenes about the potential stolen babies, I didn't find this too funny. 

The rules on loss prevention are fairly clear. We've seen articles about people losing their jobs for tackling a would-be robber at WalMart. Jonah should have been a little more active and called security / police right then, but Dina was out of line the entire episode. 

I found an interesting article about loss prevention at WalMart

Edited by DrScottie
  • Love 6

I thought parts of it were very funny.  For instance, the spiraling out of control baby kidnapping scenarios and whether you should intervene if you saw a baby being kidnapped.

"What if the baby was Hitler?"

"What if you don't know the baby was Hitler, what if the baby was baby Oprah?"

"What if the baby Oprah was being kidnapped by Beyonce?"

That entire conversation plus the reactions of the listeners had me dying!  Bonus when new girl said she was more of an Ellen person, everybody gave her the "we are not here for your Ellen over Oprah preference" faces.

Also the security guard bit.

But the rest with Dana and Jonah and the Sandra parts were uncomfortable to watch.  Dana really felt like she was bullying.  I normally like her overbearing personality but here I thought she went too far.  Also the Sandra stuff went to kind of a dark place.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DearEvette said:

That entire conversation plus the reactions of the listeners had me dying!  Bonus when new girl said she was more of an Ellen person, everybody gave her the "we are not here for your Ellen over Oprah preference" faces.

I loved that. When she said she liked Ellen, I thought, "see, this is why no one wants to help you."

The selfies, getting fired and then showing up in the breakroom wearing a blue vest, "Herpes when their name is not Herpes." Security guard is my new favorite minor character.

It did seem out-of-character for Amy to ditch Sandra, but her growing horror as the "The Best Friends" bowling team became a thing was funny in a painful way. She was just wanting to have something to do after work, and they were all looking at her with tearful happiness as if she'd just agreed to marry them. I probably would have bolted in that situation too.

• Love 2

I rate this one at the bottom of all episodes along with the S1E4 "Mannequin" ep. That episode almost lost me for the series. I'm glad I gave it a second chance, because I do love the show and most of the cast. It's been doing well for two seasons since and now, in the S3E4 episode they scrape the bottom of the barrel with Dina's bullying Josh. That was not a new low, but it was another one. I'm not sure which one is worse. I can only wonder if the person who was responsible for  "Mannequin's" low humor was also responsible for this one. Amy's treatment of Sandra was fairly OOC and scary. Not happy, but not giving up since I know they can do better and hopefully won't bottom feed for laughs again.

• Love 4

Tensions arise

. . . in Jonah's pants!

So yeah - not the strongest episode but I did get a kick out of the kidnapped baby scenarios and Jeff's frustration with losing control of the conversation. Twice. Also, the best parts are always the quick shots of customers doing weird things like the lady eating the scented candle or the stock guy blowing his nose in the wash cloth then putting it back on the shelf.

Felt so bad for Sandra at the end though! Seriously sketchy looking dude across the street at the bus stop and her and her sad little kazoo. "It's not a toy!" And Cheyenne is always good for a laugh. "Did Benjamin Franklin invent salads?"

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 2

The whole conversation about Baby Hitler and Baby Opera and the increasing bizarre hypothetical scenarios were totally hilarious. Especially when they through in the twist about baby Opera being kidnapped by Beyonce. "I need to get a pen and paper!"

But, yeah, Dina went a way overboard this episode with her bullying behavior. She really was being a workplace bully, she should get written up. And Amy wanting desperately to join trivia night and her growing horror at being part of the "loser" group was funny and a bit relatable, but her ditching Sandra seemed out of character. Usually Amy is more thoughtful then that, even being so desperate for a life. I did chuckle at Sandra sad bus story, and everyone's reaction to it. "Jesus..."

• Love 4
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The whole conversation about Baby Hitler and Baby Opera and the increasing bizarre hypothetical scenarios were totally hilarious. Especially when they through in the twist about baby Opera being kidnapped by Beyonce. "I need to get a pen and paper!"

But, yeah, Dina went a way overboard this episode with her bullying behavior. She really was being a workplace bully, she should get written up. And Amy wanting desperately to join trivia night and her growing horror at being part of the "loser" group was funny and a bit relatable, but her ditching Sandra seemed out of character. Usually Amy is more thoughtful then that, even being so desperate for a life. I did chuckle at Sandra sad bus story, and everyone's reaction to it. "Jesus..."

I thought Amy's ditching of Sandra was meant to illustrate why no one invited her anywhere. She whines about not  being invited, but then when faced with an actual invitation, she turns it down. I've known a lot of people like that - in fact, I am one of those people. Eventually, people get sick of asking. There's always some excuse why they won't leave their comfort zone.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, iMonrey said:

customers doing weird things like the lady eating the scented candle or the stock guy blowing his nose in the wash cloth then putting it back on the shelf.

That was what I was coming over here to say -- funny and awful! If you turn away from the screen while watching this show, you miss the best bits!

20 hours ago, DrScottie said:

I found an interesting article about loss prevention at WalMart

Thanks for this.

I found most of the show cringe worthy, especially the work place harrasment, bullying , and sexual harrasment. I did Think it was cool that Dina knew the crime code for grand theft- 487.  Then I realized, 487 is from the California Penal Code, and the show takes place in Missouri. 

• Love 4

I didn't dislike this one as much as some of the others above, but yeah, this is one of the weakest episodes yet. Amy and Dina were downright unlikeable. I laughed at the Baby Hitler exchange but it automatically reminded me of a similar joke in Better Off Ted a few years ago. 

• Love 1

This episode was okay. I just don't like the trend of sitcoms to create these "dumpster" characters who are the brunt of jokes and treated horribly. I actually like Sandra. I did not like Amy dumping them - just ask! (although them not picking up the cues she was giving didn't make Mateo and Cheyenne look like Einsteins either). I was annoyed at Dina and hope they rein her in, although I did like the resolution (but please no more Dina/Jonah stuff).

• Love 9
On 10/20/2017 at 0:34 AM, possibilities said:

Amy was seriously unlikable.

My issue is America's vocal fry, I don't remember her voice being THIS raspy when she did "Traveling Pants" and "Real Women/ Curves".

Her voice makes me want to mute and use closed captions.

• Love 4

Hilariously, when Jonah was standing there not sure of what to do, I was literally saying out loud "call Dina! Where's Dina?!" lol At least I was dead on with her being the right person to take on the robber. 

• Love 1