Type keyword(s) to search

Royal Sightings: The Media Thread

I think a show like this would be fun to be on. At least for me. I could care less about the dating aspect of things (because really, who has EVER found "true love" on a tv dating show??) and would probably just snark at everyone else, and egg on the bad and shameful behavior. Too bad (at 32) I am considered too old for these shows.

Leah, the first girl eliminated interview with Vanity Fair. Nothing major. She doesn't follow pop culture, was told they would be meeting an eligible bachelor, tried out for America's Next Top Model before and thinks Matt is cuter than Harry. I thought she looked awfully familiar. Either she's a type that has a familiar type, or she was on TV when she tried out for ANTM. I dunno.

• Love 2

Leah DID look familiar to me!  I dunno why I keep forgetting that reality TV is a common gateway for people trying to "make it", so they'll hop from show to show if they have to.

No lies were told about the Matt/Harry comparison--Matt is way cuter.  Blondes and gingers aren't usually my type, but I'd totally give him my number if I saw him out and about somewhere.

Tears STREAMING down my face I was laughing so hard at the Fug Girls recap of the first episode of this dreck.  Absolutely worth a read.

So I was skimming through this when I saw who this show was created by... Danny Fenton. As in the secret identity of cartoon character Danny Phantom? To the conspiracy-mobile!

Interview with Karley, the one that just got booted. She bugs. She tries to use so many big, proper words that it makes it seem she's trying too hard. I understand, she's mortified she's in the group of girls "duped" by the show into believing he's actually Prince Harry. But giving pageant-like answers while using proper vocabulary isn't going to make you appear smarter.

Another article on Chicago-area women on the show (Karina and Maggie). Of course Maggie's not really an alcoholic, we all drink more when on vacation.

Seems a running theme is almost all the women were told they were going to find love internationally and travel the world.

According to this article, Meghan used to date Jake Pavelka (Bachelor). Makes sense. They're both pretty insufferable.

Meghan dated Pavelka?  That makes me laugh. The way the Bachelor/ette thing works is very incestuous.  It seems that all contestants from those shows date from the same pool.  I bet Meghan was trying to be on that "B"  shows, and took the Harry one when she didn't get what she wanted. 

• Love 2

I wonder why the possibly didn't cast Meghan on The Bachelorette? Because she already dated one? Her and her bitchy/snarky personality would be a welcome addition to TB. 

Funny, the article says Rose's brother Joseph plays football for South Carolina State Bulldogs. I went to Google him, and I don't think this is her brother... While Joseph Copeland can be a common name, it's not like a Mike Smith or something. And I highly doubt they have 2 guys by that exact same name playing for their team. So, somewhere, I think something is reported wrong.

Meghan dated Pavelka?  That makes me laugh. The way the Bachelor/ette thing works is very incestuous.  It seems that all contestants from those shows date from the same pool.  I bet Meghan was trying to be on that "B"  shows, and took the Harry one when she didn't get what she wanted. 

I think the way it often works is they all get pulled in by casting agents.  A reality casting agent will notice any "character" around the life of someone they're already dealing with--that being doubly easy when these folks are famewhores all too willing to be noticed.

That said, Meaghan IMO is a real find.  Is she mean and bitchy?  Sure.  A bit of a skank? (I know... I hate that word too, but is there a NICE way to say it?) Sure--she is.  But she's FUNNY.  She's good at her job (her Reality TV job, I mean).

Oh man. I was hoping Fox would save me from myself. But now I'll probably binge watch the whole rest of the season over a weekend and then need a lobotomy to remove the horror from my brain. 

• Love 1

Wow. Viscous yank by Fox.  I mean they were getting press on this, even if not good press.  The ratings must have MEGA-sucked to yank it anyway.

Riot I expected to simply play out its episode commitment too, because it was cheap, already done programming.  FOX being this viscous with cancellations in the summer is puzzling.

Nooo...episodes online, starting when? 

They keep Tori Spelling on, but cancel the good shit.  I know, different networks, but quality to quality, apples to oranges and all that. There's GOOD bad quality and BAD bad quality. Marry Harry was the former.

My Comcast guide is still showing the episode Tuesday listed.

The EW article says this Tuesday's episode won't air.  Assuming that's correct I guess your TV guide just hasn't caught up yet.  At the moment the Fox site only has the first four episodes up.  Maybe they will drop them all on Tuesday when the next one would have aired?  No idea but I'll check back periodically each day to see.  If anyone finds them before me, please notify us in this thread.

Poniewozik's article on time.com says that while the show started at about 2 million, the last episode had fewer than 1 million viewers.  That piece is hilarious, btw.  An excerpt:

This is a contentious time in a polarized nation. We can’t agree on politics or cultural norms. But it is often said that Americans’ divisions stop at the water’s edge. That we may be divided and squabble among ourselves at home, but when a threat to our being arises from without our borders, we unite. And so we did this time, America. Faced with an assault against our sensibilities by a gross, misogynist reality show fronted by a usurper British prince (OK, and produced by Ryan Seacrest), we hoisted our remotes like Minutemen, like the flag-bearers on Iwo Jima, and as one, changed the channel. This will not stand.

Hee!

Also:

Ultimately, one assumes, it would be watched only by the losers of bets and people who had just died in front of their television sets.

And, may I add, those who moderate online forums about the show.  *Ahem*

I watched because it was hilariously bad.  I guess the general public only watches stuff they don't want to ADMIT is bad (like any Real Housewives show, or any Kardashians show--both which I personally don't understand why people watch).

Oh but plenty of hate-watched shows have gotten higher ratings than this.  So just fewer people willing to hate on this, I guess.

Ok, this Variety article says the eps will be available on Fox.com, Fox on demand, and Hulu starting tomorrow afternoon (Friday, June 13).  I assume it's correct.

And about those ratings: (also from Variety article; emphasis mine):

On Tuesday of this week, both “Harry” and “Riot” did a 0.4 rating/1 share in 18-49, with the former drawing less than 1 million viewers and the latter pulling in about 1.1 million. No original series on one of the Big Four networks has ever rated lower.

Ouch!

Wow. I give a dating show a chance and it gets the lowest ratings ever, of anything?

And I'm called un-American? 

But this was one of the most snark worthy things I've ever seen.  Oh well, at least Big Brother starts soon.

• Love 2

http://time.com/2865837/i-wanna-marry-harry-cancelled/

When Fox premiered the dating-deception show I Wanna Marry “Harry” last month, it raised the question of whether there was yet a reality-show concept so insulting, cynical, sexist and shameless that TV viewers would refuse to watch.  There was, and they did.

That's exactly what made it a must-watch for me, LOL.

Ultimately, one assumes, it would be watched only by the losers of bets and people who had just died in front of their television sets.

*checking pulse*

Some twitters:

kimberly_birch

onlyANNALISA

rosekcopeland

TheMeghanJones

iammatthicks

Maggtoraason

thomnom

Jacquelin_ruth

kelleymandrews (offline?)

Cecemariiie

This cracked me up:

http://kirstenandco.com/i-wanna-marry-harry-episode-2-recap/

(edited)

Reading Chelsea's Twitter where she retweeted an exchange between Matt and a fan.  He says that he made all the eliminations for his own reasons, but didn't have any control over the edit (of course).

Comment by the fan: https://twitter.com/rtvfa/statuses/478641027977191424

Matt's response: https://twitter.com/iammatthicks/statuses/478643515724165120

I want some more behind the scenes juice, so I'll continue to stalk their pages.  Pray for me.

Edited by Ceruleana
  • Love 1

Thanks! Matt's confidentiality agreement has probably made him afraid to say more. (I doubt they'd bother enforcing it at this point unless he really spilled major stuff).

Even if he made his own picks I guarantee they let him know their opinions on what would be best for the show first. And if your Matt "can I keep the clothes?" Hicks, are you going to go against them?

• Love 3

I think he wanted Karina but no way would she have stayed with him after finding out. The producers probably already realized the thing was bombing--imagine what a dud it would be with the girl saying, "You're not Prince Harry? Liar! And --ew!-- of course I'm not going to stay with you!"   Kingsley: "Uh, if you'd said 'yes' you'd each get $125k. Since you didn't neither of you get anything. Surprise!"

Kim was probably the only one they felt would not lose her temper (Karina) or go nuts (Kelly) at hearing the truth and give them the chance to salvage an ending.

It's kind of funny this is the first show I've ever watched that was cancelled mid-way through and just had the rest of the episodes put up for free immediately "On Demand". I'm sure it's not the worst show I've ever seen but it makes me feel good knowing it -might- be.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think he wanted Karina but no way would she have stayed with him after finding out. The producers probably already realized the thing was bombing--imagine what a dud it would be with the girl saying, "You're not Prince Harry? Liar! And --ew!-- of course I'm not going to stay with you!"   Kingsley: "Uh, if you'd said 'yes' you'd each get $125k. Since you didn't neither of you get anything. Surprise!"

LOL!  Too funny.

I really don't believe that the producers would have let any of the girls say no.  I think this was a scripted-ass show, and they were following the program.  It would have "ruined" it if someone got upset, so they let them know deal beforehand.

Besides, once I found out that Matt was already "moonlighting" as a Prince Harry impersonator and that Kim is an actress, the whole shebang gets an "Oh, please!" from me.  I had a good laugh reading (I think) Kim's Twitter and fans were taking her to task about both her and Kelley being actresses.  When they posted a link to Kelley's LinkedIn page Kim's like, "Uh...Kelley works in production, but as far as I know she doesn't have any acting credits.  Thanks so much for watching!" 

Edited by Ceruleana