Type keyword(s) to search

Wings - General Discussion

• Start Topic

The series Wings, could best be described as Cheers 2, as it followed much the same pattern as the other series did. The similarities are numerous, such as both being easy going character comedies and being produced by the same team (David Angell, Peter Casey and David Lee). The main difference being the setting. Instead of a Boston bar being the main setting, a small airport terminal on the island of Nantucket was used as the main backdrop. The regular "gang" included brothers Joe and Brian Hackett, both pilots, who ran a one-plane local cummuter service called Sandpiper Air. They had little else in common. Joe was button-down, organized and serious, and Brian, a hang loose, free spirit. Thier mutual best friend since childhood was Helen, a once chubby but now beautiful aspiring concert cellist who ran the lunch counter. These three lifelong friends were the "three musketeers".  (Description via TheTVDB.com)

I am so incredibly stoked that there is a little space on PTV for one of my faves.  Wings wasn't breakthrough TV, but it held it's head up for 8 seasons, which in any world of series television is pretty darn good!  Since Netflix added this series to its lineup, I think I have binge watched Wings about 3 solid times, not to mention all the times I saw it in syndication. 

One of my favorite arcs is the whole thing with Sandy Cooper (Psycho Sandy).  OMG, how hilarious is that?  Joey Bear.  There were some awesome moments with this show.

• Love 4

I liked the show so much better before Casey and Alex showed up. Antonio was great, though. And I LOVED Carlton. "LAS CRUCES!"

Lloyd I think was my favorite regular, and Brian. 

• Love 1

My favorite episode is 'Murder she roast' where Brian is staying with Fay and thinks she may be a serial killer he sees on an America's most wanted type show. The dinner scene is the best part.

There's a good secondary plot too with Lowell selling the Car-b-q. "I've seen the future and it is well done." 

• Love 9

My favorite recurring character was Sandy Cooper played by Valerie Mahaffey - it was a perfect part for her to play.

And coming back for however many times she came back, HA!  Cracked me up every single time.

Tried to find a YouTube clip of something she did in Wings, and can't find anything, help?

• Love 1

I remember Ken writing that a few years ago, thanks for bringing it back up.

He was right when he said this show isn't dated.  It's funny, and holds up each time I re-watch. 

• Love 1

Here's where we come to gab about anything unspecific regarding the show. Helen's hair? Faye's husbands? Roy's... Roy's... well, how about just Roy. Share all your Hacketty ideas herein! 

I like that one too!

The ep when they are getting Carlton to Las Cruces to see his brother. And finding out about the huge LIE he's been feeding them all just to gain their sympathy. Hilarious! He's so horrible!

Also this: "Sports and Leisure" is absolutely my favorite Roy ep. He tries so hard to show the gang he's changed... nope. LOL!

• Love 4

Thank you @Willowy, I always liked the theme.  I liked how it was constant throughout all the seasons.  I liked how it showed some of the countryside.  I know it made me want to move to Nantucket and run a small aircraft.

• Love 1

Ok, I have to correct myself.  I found out from another member here at PTV that the theme posted above only lasted for 2.5 seasons, then it because like only 4 seconds.

Geesh.  That isn't how I remembered it.  But this member was right, according to Wikipedia anyway.  ::giggle::

One of my favorite episodes is the one where, after Joe has his nose broken, Brian suddenly decides he needs a new nose and he, Joe, Antonio, Lowell, and Roy discuss who they think the sexiest man might be.  If I remember, Joe picked Peter Jennings, Antonio chose Sylvester Stallone, Brian had Kevin Costner, Roy picked John Forsythe, and Lowell picked Tom Petty.  "And I'll fight any man who says otherwise!!"

I also love the one where Brian has the time share spiel in South Carolina and cons Joe into flying down there telling him they'd go golfing.  Roy and Lowell end up going too and they all have to share a room and then a storm hits and they can't golf after all.  The funniest scene was when Lowell found Roy's "sleep aid" in the bathroom.

• Love 3

The one with Kelsey Grammer and Bebe Newirth as Frasier and Lilith coming to Nantucket so he could make a video of one of his seminars is so funny.  The Crane Train to Mental Well-Being.  "See it, be it, see it, be it, see it, be it..."

• Love 2

While they were very funny, the Sandy Cooper episodes drove me nearly as crazy as they did Joe.  It was one of those maddening TV scenarios where the good guy (Joe) is universally doubted and seen as the bad guy because everybody around him narrowly misses seeing the truth.  Even more maddening is that Joe was never vindicated.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Wow hard to choose!  One I do love is when Helen and Joe get into a fight in the kitchen, involving meat.

Joe: "One minute we were smackin' each other with meat, then it got weird..."

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

The one with Kelsey Grammer and Bebe Newirth as Frasier and Lilith coming to Nantucket so he could make a video of one of his seminars is so funny.  The Crane Train to Mental Well-Being.  "See it, be it, see it, be it, see it, be it..."

Lilith had a line in that episode that I've used ever since -- but only when it's exactly right, so it's not overdone. When Helen is ranting and raving about how Frasier ruined her life, going on and on and on, Lilith says, "You know, it is permissible to have an unexpressed thought." Delivered with that classic Lilith ice-queen demeanor -- classic.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I hated Carlton with a hot hate! The only episodes I never finished watching were with him. What, was he in like 10 episodes? Even seeing above pics churns the hate back up to the surface. (Gee, I wonder why, too bad I'm not still in therapy.)

• Love 2

Does anyone remember an episode when Helen was acting really silly one episode? I think she was meeting someone, and was laughing a really silly laugh and maybe clapping and not talking. I cannot remember what episode it was. Thanks for any help.

That isn't ringing a bell ... an episode I do remember that had to do with laughing was that Helen dated someone with the most annoying laugh, like a hyena?

Someone on IMDB told me. It was the one with Deke Hathaway, the gay TV star . Helen and Joe also took care of a little girl. Honey, we broke the Kid.

I just re-watched the entire series on DVD from beginning to end . It was as great as always. It had many great moments, both comedy and drama.

• Love 1

Someone on IMDB told me. It was the one with Deke Hathaway, the gay TV star . Helen and Joe also took care of a little girl. Honey, we broke the Kid.

So glad you found it, it was bugging me too!  I think it's time for a rewatch myself.  

My favorite thing from the show and the thing I always think if when somebody mentions the show is "I just found out that nothing rhymes with Alex".   I laugh my ass off every time. 

Second favorite moment is the episode where Joe is teaching Helen how to fly the plane.  I forget what happened but Helen ended up having to fly the plane.  She said " I've learned a lot.....ABOUT LIFT ".   Her delivery of that line gets me every time. 

Random nothing here...my best friend from school worked for NBC and her first show was Wings.  She and Crystal Bernard became good friends and are still friends today. I don't " know" Crystal but I've met her and been around her a lot when I would visit my friend and she is really super sweet.  

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 2

I don't hate Alex but I do think Casey was a much better addition.

In fact, season 6 has had a lot of good episodes, including the one where Brian and Casey throw a surprise party for Joe and Helen.  "It's a big sandwich."

• Love 1

I just found Alex to be such a humorless, unfun character. She seemed to take offense at just about any offhand remark. Season 5 had sooooo many episodes devoted to Brian and Alex dating, moving in, etc, and I hated them all. 

I loved Casey. She fit in so much better with the group. The way she was poised, yet still kind of pathetic was hilarious. Plus I loved the weird friends with benefits relationship she had with Brian. So much more entertaining to watch than him being on Alex's leash. 

• Love 2

Roy Biggins: So what you're saying is, she's not interested in me, that I don't mean anything to her. She just wants to get me into bed & use me like some cheap piece of meat?

Brian Hackett: Exactly.

Roy Biggins: I can live with that!

• Love 1
(edited)

Been really enjoying watching this show again on Antenna TV.

My favorite episode is Das Plane. "Maybe it was Las Cruces!"

I think adding Casey was the jump the shark moment for Wings.

Edited by BTBAM310
5 hours ago, BTBAM310 said:

I think adding Casey was the jump the shark moment for Wings.

I thought the sixth season was possibly the funniest season of the show, IMO, so I can't agree that she was a jump the shark moment.  I thought she and Brian were hilarious together.

• Love 3

I loved Casey. I don't think the show would've gone eight seasons without her, she seemed to breathe some new life into the show. Definitely gave Brian something new to play off of as a character, as his schmoopy dating Alex period did him no favors.

• Love 1

For the kirinan household, the "jump the shark" moment was when they lost Lowell. We loved all the cast members (okay, well, Casey wasn't my favorite, but I agree she was funny with Brian), so we thought our love of the show would carry on. But something was missing, and we drifted away.  

• Love 1
On 3/9/2017 at 3:14 PM, Irlandesa said:

I thought the sixth season was possibly the funniest season of the show, IMO, so I can't agree that she was a jump the shark moment.  I thought she and Brian were hilarious together.

So last night I watched the episode where Casey is introduced, the first time i'd seen any episode with her since they originally ran in the 90s. I stand by my statement about her being the jump the shark moment for the show. She is awful.

I liked Casey and because she lost her husband John Ritter so tragically later I will always have a soft spot for Amy Yasbeck. I'm not sure whether she was hired before or after she starred with Steven Weber in Dracula Dead and Loving It since she first appeared in the 94-95 season and the movie came out in 95 but was likely filmed a year earlier. Probably after.

Love this recent joke tweeted by Steven Weber. I love Wings but it's always been of "those shows" for most people.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 3