Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: First Day

It’s the first day of high school and Eddie wants to join the football team to impress girlfriend Alison, despite Jessica forbidding him to try out. Emery finds out that Evan has been moved up a grade and is in middle school with him. Louis battles with Kenny Roger’s right-hand man over changes at the steakhouse.

This is the first episode I've watched in about a year and the kids all looks so much older it was legitimately discombobulating to me the whole time. 

Sadly, I think I find the whole show less charming now that the boys have all gotten older. ABC sitcoms can only mine little-kid precociousness for so long.

• Love 5
54 minutes ago, afrocorgi said:

This is the first episode I've watched in about a year and the kids all looks so much older it was legitimately discombobulating to me the whole time. 

Sadly, I think I find the whole show less charming now that the boys have all gotten older. ABC sitcoms can only mine little-kid precociousness for so long.

Sadly I agree. Emery and especially Evan seemed a lot more enjoyable to watch when they were younger, but a lot of that behavior isn't funny or cute anymore now that they're older. 

Also while I thought Jessica was one of the main reasons to watch the show when it first started, I think she's become too one note, and I don't find that I don't laugh at most of her antics like I use to, instead I feel sorry for those that have to put up with her especially poor Honey. 

For now, I'm going to keep watching though because there's still some humor left and nice moments like when Eddie finally made up with his friends, but if I weren't watching the rest of ABC's Tuesday night lineup, I probably wouldn't tune in anymore just for this show. 

Edited by mortonsalt
  • Love 3

I thought this was a weak episode.  I missed the final third of last season, and I really don't like the whole Kenny Rogers Cattleman Ranch thing.  I didn't find it funny at all.

I don't think the kids aging is necessarily a problem.  I think it really depends on the writing, and this show's writing is inconsistent. 

I do agree with finding it hard to adjust to Eddie's sudden voice change and growth spurt this season.  Evan is still young enough for his usual subplots.  

1 hour ago, Camera One said:

I thought this was a weak episode.  I missed the final third of last season, and I really don't like the whole Kenny Rogers Cattleman Ranch thing.  I didn't find it funny at all.

I don't think the kids aging is necessarily a problem.  I think it really depends on the writing, and this show's writing is inconsistent. 

I do agree with finding it hard to adjust to Eddie's sudden voice change and growth spurt this season.  Evan is still young enough for his usual subplots.  

To clarify, I don't have a problem with aging child actors (eg. I remained a fan of Saoirse Ronan all through her teenage years) - but these sitcom kids are so obviously cast for the cute factor that as they get older and the cute disappears, it becomes very painfully obvious none of them can act very well. Modern Family had the exact same problem when Luke, Manny and Alex started getting older. 

Edited by afrocorgi
  • Love 4
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:52 AM, afrocorgi said:

Modern Family had the exact same problem when Luke, Manny and Alex started getting older. 

At least Ariel Winter can act as Alex.

And I really don't get that the boys can't act here.  Hudson Yang (Eddie) is probably the weakest of the three boys, but he can still act well at what he does.  And I've never for a second believed that Forrest Wheeler (Emery) or Ian Chen (Evan) are weak.  They're easily the strongest two of the three.

As for the episode, I feel like there was a storyline that got lost.  I'm surprised that they mention Emery's bad luck once, and then we don't see the story again until the closing credits.

Sucks for Eddie and Alison to end like that, but that's exactly why you shouldn't lie.  Eddie once again puts on his façade of confidence and bravado, yet lets his jealousy and insecurity get the best of him, to his detriment.

Edited by Star Aristille
  • Love 8

Forest Wheeler should play Jackie Chan's son in the new Rush Hour. They look so much alike that it becomes uncanny. Or he could play a Street Fighter as Fei Long or Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat once he gets older. I could see that in the near future since he does karate in his spare time. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Star Aristille said:

Sucks for Eddie and Alison to end like that, but that's exactly why you shouldn't lie.  Eddie once again puts on his façade of confidence and bravado, yet lets his jealousy and insecurity get the best of him yet again.

I don't blame Alison for the break up at all, but I get how Eddie made that mistake. He lost his peer group and Nicole kicked him out of the car because while they can be friends at home, she won't talk to him at school. In the new environment, all he had was Alison. And then he gets to school and is looking for her only to find she's too busy to look for him. He was afraid that if he lost her, he'd be totally alone. So he sees her showing interest in the guys who play football, gets scared and makes a big mistake. It's immature but also exactly what 14 year olds do so I get it. I actually thought that was a pretty well written plot.

• Love 15
19 hours ago, mortonsalt said:

Also while I thought Jessica was one of the main reasons to watch the show when it first started, I think she's become too one note,

It's like her face AND voice are Botoxed into place. I can't stand that whiny, stern sound. So many great Asian actresses, why her?

Since my PVR didn't record it and i have to find to watch it online in Canada (abc.com is geoblocked) what's going on with Cattleman's Ranch this week?  (Not a fan of the constant change of ownership either.) 

1 hour ago, mtlchick said:

Since my PVR didn't record it and i have to find to watch it online in Canada (abc.com is geoblocked) what's going on with Cattleman's Ranch this week?  (Not a fan of the constant change of ownership either.) 

One of Kenny Rogers' people are making changes at Cattleman's, and Louis doesn't like it.  Proposed changes including getting rid of the bear, serving more chicken dishes and letting customers seat themselves.  At the end, the new guy has to run off and leaves Louis in charge because his son on the football team got a concussion (I think it's the same kid that Eddie pays to play football in his place).  Yeah, I don't like the constant change of ownership either.

I'm surprised a Canadian network has picked it up where I am.  CHEK TV.  Before, I would always need to PVR it off ABC.  I was surprised none of the big Canadian networks bothered picking it up even though Canada has such a multicultural population.

Edited by Camera One
42 minutes ago, Camera One said:

'm surprised a Canadian network has picked it up where I am.  CHEK TV.  Before, I would always need to PVR it off ABC.  I was surprised none of the big Canadian networks bothered picking it up even though Canada has such a multicultural population.

Reruns are airing on Comedy Network which is owned by Bell Media but this channel and another one in Hamilton airs it and I do get them  (I have Bell satellite.)  Thanks for the heads up! 

4 hours ago, Camera One said:

One of Kenny Rogers' people are making changes at Cattleman's, and Louis doesn't like it.

Even worse, they cast the dreadful "Vice Principal Dweeb" from The Real ONeals as the Kenny Rogers Corporate Drone Man.  The actor is miserably horrific.  He made The Final Season of TRON just plain unwatchable.  He is not funny, has no charisma, and there is absolutely no way that wet noodle could have sired the rather studly football jock who plotted with Eddie.

On the plus side, Kenny Rogers Roasters went bankrupt in the late 90s, so its not long for the FOTB world.  (Also, Jessica attempted to school her husband on opening multiple locations, so I sense that is where they are heading.  I vaguely recall that the Real Life Mr Huang owned multiple restaurants, which is how the family made the big bucks)

• Love 1
18 hours ago, vibeology said:

I don't blame Alison for the break up at all, but I get how Eddie made that mistake. He lost his peer group and Nicole kicked him out of the car because while they can be friends at home, she won't talk to him at school. In the new environment, all he had was Alison. And then he gets to school and is looking for her only to find she's too busy to look for him. He was afraid that if he lost her, he'd be totally alone. So he sees her showing interest in the guys who play football, gets scared and makes a big mistake. It's immature but also exactly what 14 year olds do so I get it. I actually thought that was a pretty well written plot.

Kind of ruthless of Alison to break up with him right at the point he was feeling lowest though.  Talk about kicking him when he's down.  I understand that men aren't ever supposed to be insecure, but wow this is some lesson for Eddie.  Don't let your weakness show, or you'll get dumped for it.  Like you say, it was understandable considering he had lost all his friends that he would start worrying about his girlfriend too.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Kind of ruthless of Alison to break up with him right at the point he was feeling lowest though.  Talk about kicking him when he's down.  I understand that men aren't ever supposed to be insecure, but wow this is some lesson for Eddie. 

No but women and girls shouldn't have to handle men/boys insecurities at the expense of their trust. This is also not the first time that his insecurities have had a negative impact on their relationship and she ignored them.

• Love 13
11 hours ago, biakbiak said:

No but women and girls shouldn't have to handle men/boys insecurities at the expense of their trust. This is also not the first time that his insecurities have had a negative impact on their relationship and she ignored them.

No one should put up with whatever it is that they don't want to put up with.  But I think Eddie was going through a rough patch, and while his actions (hiring another kid to pose as him on the football field) were over the top, it is a sitcom after all.  I just thought that she was pretty quick to dump him, when she must know what he's been going through.  Her prerogative, of course.  But still a good lesson for Eddie.

• Love 1

I was not super aware of CTE and the effects of multiple concussions back in the 90s, and I figured it wasn't yet a "thing" to be worried about concussions with high school football. I also didn't think it was widely understood that OJ Simpson almost certainly has CTE at that time - seems like that's only become a dawning realization since the movie "Concussion" came out, really. So I felt like Jessica's paranoia about concussions and certainty that the concussions "made OJ crazy" were a bit anachronistic, although I can't be sure. Anyone with a better memory than me out there?

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

So I felt like Jessica's paranoia about concussions and certainty that the concussions "made OJ crazy" were a bit anachronistic, although I can't be sure. Anyone with a better memory than me out there?

Yeah that annoyed me. We don't know that he has it because the only way to know is through an autopsy and he still lives. 

• Love 5
59 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

I also didn't think it was widely understood that OJ Simpson almost certainly has CTE at that time - seems like that's only become a dawning realization since the movie "Concussion" came out, really. So I felt like Jessica's paranoia about concussions and certainty that the concussions "made OJ crazy" were a bit anachronistic, although I can't be sure. Anyone with a better memory than me out there?

Yeah, I don't remember the idea that OJ was affected by concussions being talked about at all in the '90s.  That theory is a fairly recent one, as far as I know.  And IIRC, it was not received very well, because by that time people had already formed their opinion of him.  Then the grandma rolled in and talked about how he had not been convicted.  Seemed like kind of a strange (and unpopular) stance for a sitcom to be taking.  Definitely seemed out of place.

I don't think that in the '90s the first thing someone would think about when they heard football was "Concussed!".  I would think Jessica would have been more concerned about broken legs or whatnot.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, rmontro said:

hen the grandma rolled in and talked about how he had not been convicted.  Seemed like kind of a strange (and unpopular) stance for a sitcom to be taking.  Definitely seemed out of place.

That was a call back to the first season when grandma was obsessed with the trial and his innocence.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That was a call back to the first season when grandma was obsessed with the trial and his innocence.

Oh yeah, I nearly forgot that.  It was still a strange sequence.

On 10/11/2017 at 0:45 AM, mortonsalt said:

Sadly I agree. Emery and especially Evan seemed a lot more enjoyable to watch when they were younger, but a lot of that behavior isn't funny or cute anymore now that they're older. 

Also while I thought Jessica was one of the main reasons to watch the show when it first started, I think she's become too one note, and I don't find that I don't laugh at most of her antics like I use to, instead I feel sorry for those that have to put up with her especially poor Honey. 

For now, I'm going to keep watching though because there's still some humor left and nice moments like when Eddie finally made up with his friends, but if I weren't watching the rest of ABC's Tuesday night lineup, I probably wouldn't tune in anymore just for this show. 

Since. This season will bring it to at least 83 episodes and the ratings are low this may be the final season. If I was ABC though I’ll have this season be 24 episodes to make it 85 and order a 15 episode 5th season and hold it till mid season. Then if it ends it has 100 episodes for syndication.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Skyfall said:

While true it’s still the most desired 

ABC doesn’t produce the show so unless 20th Century Fox cuts them a sweetheart deal they don’t give a shit if it gets 100 episodes.

I used to enjoy Honey and Jessica’s friendship but Jessica is so awful to her that I want better for Honey. Stealing towels from your best friend who put up your family is an asshole move. Jessica annoys me so very much.

• Love 7

How about the quotes from this episode?

"Can I get some water?"

"You can drink from your dehumidifier!"

"Kenny Rodgers requires the condiments be sorted in descending order of crunchiness"

This is the same type of stuff you would see from early seasons of Malcolm in the middle. Typical Nahnatchka Khan type of writing.

• Love 3
On 10/11/2017 at 3:21 AM, Robert Lynch said:

Forest Wheeler should play Jackie Chan's son in the new Rush Hour. They look so much alike that it becomes uncanny. Or he could play a Street Fighter as Fei Long or Liu Kang in Mortal Kombat once he gets older. I could see that in the near future since he does karate in his spare time. 

If he keeps acting, I hope he gets roles that aren't dependent upon him being Asian!

• Love 6

I'm tired of the Michael Bolton/Kenny Rogers involvement; I hope the show gets back to Louis and his crew at Cattleman's. 

I missed Eddie and his crew; glad they are back together. 

I was surprised that Allison broke up with Eddie but I guess it makes for better plots to have Eddie single.