Type keyword(s) to search

Graham Norton in the Media & Scheduling

• Start Topic

October 20:    Gerard Butler, Jeff Goldblum, Jack Whitehall AND Hillary Clinton.   I hope they're all on the couch together.  I luvs me some Jack Whitehall.  Not sure Hillary will know what to do with herself.

• Love 2
12 minutes ago, Quof said:

October 20:    Gerard Butler, Jeff Goldblum, Jack Whitehall AND Hillary Clinton.   I hope they're all on the couch together.  I luvs me some Jack Whitehall.  Not sure Hillary will know what to do with herself.

WHAT?!?!

WITH JACK WHITEHALL, JEFF GOLDBLUM, AND GERARD BUTLER?????????

WHAT?!?!?!?

ETA: I would have paid money to see her on the couch with Harrison Ford, Ryan Gosling, Reese Witherspoon, and Margot Robbie.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 2

'He went on and on': Graham Norton has let slip his least favourite guest ever

Graham Norton has revealed that Robert De Niro was one of his least-favourite guests ever on his BBC One chat show...

“He’s not a storyteller, or very verbal," the West Cork native said. "He’s a benign presence. Last time he started telling a story – he went on and on. We were all leaning in, willing it to be amazing... then he finally went, ‘why am I telling this?’ Nobody had an answer. We cut it.”

Still, that wasn't a patch on what Graham called his worst episode ever - a show in June of this year that featured Sandra Bullock, Cate Blanchett, Rihanna, Sarah Paulson and Helena Bonham Carter.

“I felt like the guy driving the bus on a hen party," Graham remarked. “For 45 minutes people were talking over each other and laughing. They were having a great time but the audience was nonplussed."

https://www.her.ie/amp/entertainment/went-graham-norton-let-slip-least-favourite-guest-ever-429702

Tbh that was the first time I turned the show off after the first couple of minutes. It was so hectic and feverish that simply listening (or trying to listen) made me nervous - and I love (almost) all those ladies.

There was a ton of cross-talk, but what did Graham expect with five people? And the women were burdened by having to show they all liked one another (I think Blanchett and/or Bullock even brought that up) which a group of men never has to do. 

• Love 1

Yeah, I remember that this was discussed in the episode thread. As I said there it's a shame women still have to do that. However I don't think he had much of a choice - they were promoting the movie as an ensemble.  I'm never a fan of ensemble couches - part of the show's charm is that it's often conducted like some sociological experiment: place a Hollywood A-listener right next to a comedian with a near indecipherable accent and see what happens. Ensembles often feel like a well-oiled promo machine or they tend to chat among themselves and the audience feels left out (which seems to have happened here).

• Love 2
47 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I'm never a fan of ensemble couches - part of the show's charm is that it's often conducted like some sociological experiment: place a Hollywood A-listener right next to a comedian with a near indecipherable accent and see what happens. Ensembles often feel like a well-oiled promo machine or they tend to chat among themselves and the audience feels left out (which seems to have happened here).

Yeah, the show works best when it has an unexpected mix of people. Of course five people promoting the same thing are going to talk over each other and chatter away like a "hen party". Having them all from the same movie, promoting the same movie, they are going to tell the same stories, and be extra careful about what they say about it because the others are sitting right there. 

One of the best couches, for me, had Miriam Margolyes and Will I Am. I can't imagine any situation in which those two would have sat down and chatted, but they were utterly adorable and totally hilarious together. You don't get that with five people who just spent months working together. 

• Love 3

I LOVE the Will.I.Am and Miriam Margolyes episode.  I kept it on my DVR for years until the DVR has to be replaced, because I just laugh and laugh with them.  But they seemed to develop a really amazing chemistry even though, as you say, even they couldn't imagine a situation where they would have met otherwise.

• Love 4
On 10/11/2018 at 4:49 PM, Mabinogia said:

One of the best couches, for me, had Miriam Margolyes and Will I Am. I can't imagine any situation in which those two would have sat down and chatted, but they were utterly adorable and totally hilarious together. You don't get that with five people who just spent months working together. 

What about three people who just spent months working together, a/k/a the Monuments Men couch?  The world is a better place because of that episode.

• Love 4

I read one comment on another site that he has told that story before and it was Barbra Streisand, but I have no way to confirm it.  I too wondered how big the studio is that he has ten dressing rooms available for one guest.

Does anyone else have trouble getting their DVR to record this program. I even moved GN to the top of my series list (to make sure there's no conflict), but it never records. Any suggestions?