Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

I think if Carly and Alcazar had been able to be a couple, Carly might have changed. But their popularity was a threat to Sonny's, so of course Carly/Alcazar never happened. I suspect the amazing chemistry took TPTB by surprise.

• Love 7

Oh, Carly definitely married AJ for money, but the pouring booze over him was WAY before that - I think she was pregnant with Michael at the time and wanted AJ to think he was unfit to be a parent, in case he remembered the one-night stand and questioned the paternity. I remember Carly telling the Qs, Jason was dangerous and might kidnap Michael ... she was mad at him at the time for some reason. This was at a time when she was letting the world think either AJ or Jason could be the father of Michael. She and AJ were seated together in a court room; their attorney said they were engaged and would provide a stable, loving home. 

Didn't the booze soaking happen right after their ONS?  Because she didn't want Tony to find out?  

• Love 1

Didn't the booze soaking happen right after their ONS?  Because she didn't want Tony to find out?  

Yes.

Also, I can't recall why that Cujo suddenly got cold feet, when I'm sure this was her long time dream, but the night she came over to the Quartermaines to marry AJ, wasn't because she and Jason had a fight. Jason had actually suggested they get married, which yuck, so they custody of Michael wouldn't become an issue or something. But for some reason, shebeast panicked and went running to the Quartermaines, with tales of Jason abusing her, or something...

And she has some NERVE blaming Robin for her falling down the stairs when she was rubbing in AJ's face how she was now marrit to a powerful man, the midgety moobster.  I remember clearly her shoving her wedding rings in AJ's face. And the rest WE ALL KNOW what happened.

• Love 5

The most hilarious part was when Carly later told Robin it was Robin's fault a "drunken AJ pushed me down the stairs!"

Carly was just delusional during the baby Michael mess -- everything was always someone else's fault.

I wasn't watching during the Tamara Braun years, but based on clips, that might've been the most human Carly who had the potential to grow and learn. LW is a good actress and I love her hair, but her Carly is back to being a delusional monster with a heaping side of smug.

no, her Carly might have hated AJ the most actually.

• Love 1
Same. I'm so over Lucy. She is insufferable now.

I've never liked her. Her voice and the babbling combined have always made me want to put a spork in my ear. But I've only seen the "wacky" mid-90s Lucy and after that, I hear she was pretty different in the late 80s/early 90s?

• Love 1
(edited)

The Lucy who carried Serena for Dominique and Scott, or the Lucy who mourned BJ's death...THAT Lucy I like, the Lucy who has a big heart and clearly loves her friends and family. And scheming Lucy is fun, too. But yes, even though I love her, the more she babbles, the more I want to smack her. 

no, her Carly might have hated AJ the most actually.

Even with that, though, there was a quality to how TB played Carly, to me, anyway, that indicated that there was a potentially good person underneath whatever nastiness she may have projected to other people at one point or another. Admittedly, TB's soft, feminine features (she has such beautiful eyes and a pretty smile, particularly when she has blonde, wavy hair) may influence my opinion here. YMMV, of course.

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

Carly was to blame for the bad blood between them because she drugged and dumped alcohol on AJ. I think if I was recovering from a long term mental and physical condition, one that cost me my brother, I would be pretty pissed at the person that jeopardized it. I think AJ would be a lot more gracious about Carly lying about paternity if she hadn't done that. And I don't believe she every apologized to him when AJ was he was lucid ( I could be missing that scene, who knows).

She was his friend. She was his friend! She drugged him and dumped alcohol all over him to get him to leave town not because she was afraid of his drinking... she knew very well how hard he was working to remain sober and how successful he was at it... but because she didn't want him remembering that they slept together and fucking things up for her and Tony.

He told her if he ever fell off the wagon again, he'd leave town and go to rehab somewhere else and start over from scratch. He liked her and trusted her and told her this as a friend and she used it to keep the Sugar Daddy she stole from her mother!

Whatever AJ became after that was directly due to Carly and then Sonny basically doing everything in their power to destroy any vestige of self within him. They set out to destroy him and kept at it. And ultimately, they succeeded. Sonny fucking murdered him, was happy to do it, doesn't regret it and has said repeatedly that he'd do it again.

That's not on AJ. That's on Sonny and what he and Carly did to him.

• Love 18

I've never liked her. Her voice and the babbling combined have always made me want to put a spork in my ear. But I've only seen the "wacky" mid-90s Lucy and after that, I hear she was pretty different in the late 80s/early 90s?

I def perferred the scheming lucy who was obessed with money and that was late 80s and early 90s.I loved the lucy/Alan/Scotty/Tracy quad.

Even with that, though, there was a quality to how TB played Carly, to me, anyway, that indicated that there was a potentially good person underneath whatever nastiness she may have projected to other people at one point or another. Admittedly, TB's soft, feminine features (she has such beautiful eyes and a pretty smile, particularly when she has blonde, wavy hair) may influence my opinion here. YMMV, of course.

Heh, yeah, I didn't think she was soft at all. I thought her elbows should have qualified as having dangerous weapons, they were so jabby. She did do a good job when Michael "died", though, I thought.

(edited)

Heh, yeah, I didn't think she was soft at all. I thought her elbows should have qualified as having dangerous weapons, they were so jabby. She did do a good job when Michael "died", though, I thought.

She was super-skinny, to the point of it being distracting. When she came to AMC years later, she seemed so much more beautiful and yes, soft and feminine then, despite the fact that I hated her terribly-written character. (I only ever watched the ABC soaps). But Braun's Carly had some excellent chemistry with a lot of guys who were not Maurice Benard - Ted King and Chad Brannon, especially.

Edited by Melgaypet

I think part of it depended on her hair. In her first scene on the show for example, she had this light brown, short straight haircut, which, IMO, looked kind of blah on her. When it was blonde and wavy, it looked much nicer.

I definitely agree that she is very skinny, but unlike some actresses, I think that it really is her natural build. 

• Love 1

I think part of it depended on her hair. In her first scene on the show for example, she had this light brown, short straight haircut, which, IMO, looked kind of blah on her. When it was blonde and wavy, it looked much nicer.

I definitely agree that she is very skinny, but unlike some actresses, I think that it really is her natural build. 

You and I are total opposites when it comes to Tamara! :) I liked her much better with the brown hair, but I'm not a huge fan of blonde hair in general.

I think it was her natural build as well.

• Love 1

You and I are total opposites when it comes to Tamara! :) I liked her much better with the brown hair, but I'm not a huge fan of blonde hair in general.

I think it was her natural build as well.

I guess so :) .

Careful, though, I'm a blonde! :P 

(edited)

Oh, I'm sure she's naturally slender, too. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. It's just, as Carly, she was really skinny (I vaguely remember rumors that Braun claimed TPTB overworked her, which may have contributed?) and it gave her a hard, brittle look which I personally didn't find attractive - and certainly not soft - whereas later as Reese on AMC, she looked genuinely beautiful. I also much prefer the blonde hair on her.

She's a good actress, though. I've never denied that. But Sarah Brown and Laura Wright are both good actresses, too. It's the character of Carly that's loathsome.

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 2
(edited)

I guess so :) .

Careful, though, I'm a blonde! :P 

So am I, kinda. :) I'm not saying I pull it off, I'm just too lazy to dye my hair. :)

Edited by ulkis
(edited)

Oh, I'm sure she's naturally slender, too. I didn't mean to imply otherwise. It's just, as Carly, she was really skinny (I vaguely remember rumors that Braun claimed TPTB overworked her, which may have contributed?) and it gave her a hard, brittle look which I personally didn't find attractive - and certainly not soft - whereas later as Reese on AMC, she looked genuinely beautiful. I also much prefer the blonde hair on her.

She's a good actress, though. I've never denied that. But Sarah Brown and Laura Wright are both good actresses, too. It's the character of Carly that's loathsome.

I think you're right about her being overworked, specifically during the Panic Room story. A lot of that probably came down to Pratt, who I've heard liked her a lot more than Guza did, and I think he was instrumental in getting her on AMC, too. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

I've never liked carly no matter who played her lol.

• Love 2

I remember when TB dyed her hair brown, and the writers put in a cute little exchange between Carly and Lorenzo, because he'd also shaved his beard.

As a boosted blonde myself (who's now rapidly going gray), I totally sympathize with the high maintenance, but I hate the really dark roots that LW and KSt have going on now. Either get your highlights done or go back to being brunette!

• Love 3

I remember when TB dyed her hair brown, and the writers put in a cute little exchange between Carly and Lorenzo, because he'd also shaved his beard.

As a boosted blonde myself (who's now rapidly going gray), I totally sympathize with the high maintenance, but I hate the really dark roots that LW and KSt have going on now. Either get your highlights done or go back to being brunette!

I thought LW's pony tail looked great from the front, but from the back I kept noticing the under layer of dark hair.

• Love 1

TB is originally brunette. SJB's Carly was blonde, so TB went blonde for the role but then dyed it back closer to her natural shade later on. Looks like she's gone back and forth ever since.

I'm a little fuzzy on the Wards so my question is - is there a Ward out there who could have possibly been Valerie's father?

Justus' could have been, quite easily frankly considering the character's history.

But he is the now "deceased lawyer" who they transformed into another Sonny and Jason ass kisser who ended up dead thanks to them. But that all occured after one of the worst recast jobs in all of GH history, imho.

For the longest time Edward wanted Justus to get involved with the Q business as one of his heirs, if only he had...

Justus was Jason and A.J.'s first cousin, as he was the son of Edward's son Bradley Ward, who was biracial, his mother was named Mary and she was a pretty great lady when she was on the show and she was played by a fantastic actress as well.

• Love 1

If Patricia is supposed to be older than Luke and Bobbie, I'd imagine Justus would be too young to be her baby daddy.

His father/Edward's son Bradley, however...

Edited by TeeVee329

If Patricia is supposed to be older than Luke and Bobbie, I'd imagine Justus would be too young to be her baby daddy.

His father/Edward's son Bradley, however...

Well I am not sure how old Val is supposed to be, she's being played by an actress under 30 so I am going to guess whomever her father is, he and Pat were together rather recently.

If it turns out to be Shawn I swear to god...

But as for Bradley, he died over 40 years ago, he was murdered in the 70s. Plus he was born in the early 40s so he's actually older than Alan and Tracy. If I am not mistaken he was Edward's first born.

That is another reason why I hated it when they de-aged Justus. He really was the perfect age to play a great rival in the Q family and potentially take over the company.

Yeah, I had Valerie pegged as being a peer of Lulu/Dante/Maxie/etc so Pat would have had to have been with her father more recently than not.  And yes, Valerie better not have any connections to Shawn, familial or otherwise.

More Ward questions - so Bradley Ward was Edward's son and Justus was his son.  How do Keesha and Maya fit in?

Edited by TeeVee329

Yeah, I had Valerie pegged as being a peer of Lulu/Dante/Maxie/etc so Pat would have had to have been with her father more recently than not.  And yes, Valerie better not have any connections to Shawn, familial or otherwise.

More Ward questions - so Bradley Ward was Edward's son and Justus was his son.  How do Keesha and Maya fit in?

She can't have any ties to Shawn, she's too sweet and pretty...which of course knowing Ron means that he probably will make them related...the bastard.

Though maybe she was adopted by Pat...or perhaps even stolen if Pat is as certifiable as terrorLuke.

Keesha is Justus' first cousin on his mother's side, Isobel, at least I believe that is how it breaks down, my memory is a touch fuzzy on the exact details, heh, but I do know that any relation to the Qs was quickly explained away when A.J. and Jason both set their sights on her for a time.

Maya fits in because she is the daughter of Faith, who is also a Q in the same way Justus is.

Justus wasn't Bradley's only child, he had a daughter as well named Faith with his wife Isobel, so Maya is Justus' niece and also Edward's great-granddaughter, all blood related.

Edited by CPP83

can't be much worse than this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juuAFhQYFfg#t=28

This is still in the top-top tier of the worst things I've ever seen on GH, closely followed by the Chew debacle of 2013, all things Franco, and the Kiki & Friends showcase or Brad's horrific autotuned number from last year's Nurses Ball, among others. But this I will never, ever forget. It took me years to forgive Felicia for her affair with Luke, but it took a few more than that for this shit. To say nothing of her rehearsal days before - jumping around bow-legged, howling "Swannee River."

• Love 2
This is still in the top-top tier of the worst things I've ever seen on GH, closely followed by the Chew debacle of 2013, all things Franco, and the Kiki & Friends showcase or Brad's horrific autotuned number from last year's Nurses Ball, among others. But this I will never, ever forget. It took me years to forgive Felicia for her affair with Luke, but it took a few more than that for this shit. To say nothing of her rehearsal days before - jumping around bow-legged, howling "Swannee River."

It's super embarrassing to see Laura supposed to be dismayed at Felicia's little miss bo peep outfit.

There is one good thing about it - to quote someone, Gia's "pity face" at 55 seconds in:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juuAFhQYFfg&t=55

Lucky accidentally punches Felicia as a pre teen, 1993. Warning: the quality of this clip is super crappy (methinks this was on the Internet in the pre--YouTube days, when video quality on most clips was spotty at best (ah, memories! :P), and then just uploaded once YT began).