Type keyword(s) to search

Ink Master: Angels - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I enjoy the Angels more then most.  I even like Kelly's shaggy dog head shaking, but even I don't think this should get a second season.

On a shallow note, I thought nothing could beat Ryan's awesome grey hair with lavender undertones, untill I saw the amazing rainbow hair on the female tattoo artist from Baltimore.  It did not hurt that the girl was gorgeous.  She and Ryan look liked they stepped out of an anime cartoon.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Charlesman said:

The old guy's tattoo that he freehanded... man, that hand. That awful, awful hand. I don't know what he was thinking. That was bad. 

3 hours ago, cpcathy said:

The old guy's tattoo looked like a prison tattoo, honestly.

The hairless cat was gorgeous. If you can do a beautiful cat tattoo, you're okay in my book.

That was one of the worst tattoos I have ever seen.  It looked like an untalented 3rd grader drew it.  When the kept on saying the face was pretty, I think that were just lying, but that guy deserved a giant Peck/Nunez smack down and that canvas should get a free pass to Tattoo Nightmares.

Just finished this up. They showed the pilot last ....good idea, cuz it was slowwww and baaaad. Whoever changed the format up real quick deserves a raise. 

Kelly only did a slight "no more tattooing" head shake in the pilot, so they must have encouraged it. I didn't care for it, but if Navarro could imitate it just once on IM it woud all be worth it!

Did we ever find out what happened to Gia?! 

• Love 1
On 12/30/2017 at 5:04 PM, TVbitch said:

Did we ever find out what happened to Gia?! 

Health issues. She's a cancer survivor and I believe she had a setback in recovery. Not directly a recurrence of the cancer, but, something that prevented her from traveling for extended periods, keeping her away from her doctors. She won't be able to participate in Season 2 at all. 

• Love 2

There were some nice tattoos this episode! I don't remember many, if any, unanimous decisions for the final angel face-off tattoos last season.

Unless he chokes, Teej should do well in the big show. The guy he beat in the second round was also very talented.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Diane Mars said:

It was a really cool episode. Great tattoos, respect, no assholery. It's all what I want. And I also like the "lifting" of the show.

I wish Ink Master would take a page from this show.  You don't need all that assholery to make a good show.

• Love 7

I know she bugs some but I really love Kelly. I like the way she immediately saw that her tattoo was not as good and admitted to it. She did not go around pounding her chest proclaiming how awesome she is and how everything she touches is gold. Honestly, I like the other two ladies, but she is really the one with the personality to carry the show.

• Love 8

Back to the drama angle. Angels, please leave the forced conflict on the Mothership. 

I was really annoyed by the explanation of how one of the murder victims died. Instead of being angry at the dude who, y'know, killed her brother over the desire to control an ex-girlfriend, the canvas did everything to place the blame on the woman who her brother was hanging out with. Just a gross way to explain a murder carried out by a crazy, possessive, jealous dude. 

(edited)

I really wish they’d have a minimum age requirement for this show! I can’t stand listening to these 20 somethings bitch about losing during round 1. (Except Daniel Silva who was really good on the current season of Ink Master. Huge ego, yes, but has talent up the wazoo!)

They’re competing against professionals who have been earning a living as tattoo artists longer than these whiners have been alive! 

I did the math. Britney started legitimately tattooing when she was 17 years old? Sure, Jan.

So she was an apprentice? In a real shop? With a master who taught her? Was this after school or did she take the GED at 16 and jump into tattoos? She needs to shut her mouth and learn how to be humble. 

Edited by Bridget
On 3/29/2018 at 9:12 AM, qtpye said:

I know she bugs some but I really love Kelly. I like the way she immediately saw that her tattoo was not as good and admitted to it. She did not go around pounding her chest proclaiming how awesome she is and how everything she touches is gold. Honestly, I like the other two ladies, but she is really the one with the personality to carry the show.

Yep. I like them all, and enjoy their dynamic, but Kelly is a standout. Her deadpan, dry humor kills me.  

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, Darian said:

Yep. I like them all, and enjoy their dynamic, but Kelly is a standout. Her deadpan, dry humor kills me.  

Kelly is fairly local to me.  I have thought about seeking her out, I love her new school and would love her to tattoo me

• Love 1
6 hours ago, blondiek237 said:

Kelly is fairly local to me.  I have thought about seeking her out, I love her new school and would love her to tattoo me

I don't know what booking her is like, but a lot of the higher profile tattooists from the show are almost impossible to get bookings with. I know Anthony once had a full book going out two years after he won.  I had entertained the idea of going to him someday because he's local. He eventually had to cancel almost all of his bookings and start over because he was overbooked. I was talking to Christian on Twitter the other day. I told him that I would try to get a booking with Anthony if I could afford it. He joked that even he couldn't get Anthony to tattoo him. So, good luck with Kelly! 

Kelly recently did an AMA on Reddit and answered a question about her availability:

"Right now my books are closed. They might open soon. The best way to find out is to follow me on Instagram (kellydotylovessoup).

I never book out more than 3 months in advance. It’s a pain in the ass to schedule life past that. And I’ve been traveling for Angels so much recently, so I’m not traveling for tattooing too much beyond that. I really love being home so that’s where I’m trying to be as much as possible."

• Love 1

I really liked Blake so even though I thought Kelly should have won, I did feel bad for him. Also I love Katie and I would have said that she looked fantastic but I hate her new nose. She went from being cute to being generically pretty. It’s a good thing that my opinion doesn’t matter and I hope she is happy with the change since she’s clearly done a lot of work getting in shape and overall looks much healthier.

(edited)

Why even watch the final judging? The angels generally vote for their own, the home town crowd for the local artist, and the two previous contestants are full of spite against the person who beat them.

Also? Enough about the damned pepper shading already!

Edited by 2727
  • Love 1

I like to look at the tattoos but everything about this show is annoying to me. The music, the slo-mo walking, the hair tossing and come hither faces Ryan and Nikki make and yes, even Kelly Doty who dresses like a halloween parade every week. Also hate the fake "Awe" the contestants have towards the angels as if they are the greatest tattoo artists in history. Kelly is a pretty woman and a good artist, she doesn't need the teenager costume look. Like others have mentioned, it is clear that the future Ink Master contestants have already been chosen and yes the crowd will almost always vote for the hometown person, the artist judges will usually vote against and the angels will vote depending on the desired outcome. 

• Love 2
On 4/18/2018 at 2:14 AM, Psychobunny said:

I really liked Blake so even though I thought Kelly should have won, I did feel bad for him. Also I love Katie and I would have said that she looked fantastic but I hate her new nose. She went from being cute to being generically pretty. It’s a good thing that my opinion doesn’t matter and I hope she is happy with the change since she’s clearly done a lot of work getting in shape and overall looks much healthier.

It was great to see Katie - I always loved her and her personal style. She looks great, but not at all like the same quirky lady. I found it interesting that she was completely covered up in both of her scenes. I wonder what her rapid and dramatic weight loss did to her inked skin. 

Regardless, if she's happy with her new look, then good for her. She is one my all time IM faves. 

Edited by hkit
  • Love 1

Just saw the episode from a couple of weeks ago. Was there ever any more awkward a transition than "Let's hear stories of infants dying in their mothers arms... and let's open the doors and let everybody in and HELLO MEMPHIS ARE YOU READY TO SEE SOME GREAT TATTOOS?!!!!!!"

• Love 1

I think it’s great that the angels want to give tattoos to people who suffered tragedies, but watching the angels cry everyweek and having the final tattoos as tributes is both depressing and dull.I also wish they would pick more general themes for the first tattoos instead of things like cactus and mushroom clouds. Finally, there is little suspense since it’s obvious very few people will be selected for Ink Master, so most will lose. 

• Love 4
On 5/24/2018 at 7:46 AM, Madding crowd said:

I think it’s great that the angels want to give tattoos to people who suffered tragedies, but watching the angels cry everyweek and having the final tattoos as tributes is both depressing and dull.I also wish they would pick more general themes for the first tattoos instead of things like cactus and mushroom clouds. Finally, there is little suspense since it’s obvious very few people will be selected for Ink Master, so most will lose. 

Yeah, the very important reason we needed a great tattoo artist thing every week is getting on my nerves. And, like I said above, it doesn't fit with the energy of the show: "Let's hear stories of infants dying in their mothers arms... and let's open the doors and let everybody in and HELLO MEMPHIS ARE YOU READY TO SEE SOME GREAT TATTOOS!" sucks. "Tell me about your dead child and HELL YEAH I'LL GIVE YOU A BITCHIN' TAT FOR IT TO WIN ME SOME MONEY!!"

Also, I'm getting really down on the artists who lose. Many of them deserve it, sure, but when you know going into the final that the last man standing isn't going to win, then the whole episode is a waste. But, when you do see someone put their heart into a great piece and lose in a split decision due to 1) Angels favoritism, or 2) bitter losers, you kind of wish there was a back-door way to get into Ink Master. 

I guess I'm not used to reality shows where all the contestants lose almost every episode.

• Love 3
(edited)

I like the Angels but I a really beginning to lose interest in the show.  Maybe it's the talent level of some of the contestants and all the slow-motion walking?

Edited by qtpye
  • Love 2

Yeah, me too. I generally skip all the shit-talking on the regular show, too. I like to see art work and creativity in the face of challenges. People yelling at each other or crying, not so much.

• Love 3
On 5/30/2018 at 6:03 PM, DocIdaho said:

Autin!  Are you kidding me! My cat's sandbox has better art than he produced!!!

I know, right??!

Even Ryan's unfinished tattoo was waaaay better than Austin's sparse tree. What a bullshit, contrived set up of an episode. As if Ryan would do a design that she couldn't finish!

I'm confident that he'll be the eventual winner of Season 11... in the arrogant douchebag category.