Type keyword(s) to search

These Spoilers Suck: Bitter Speculation About SPN Spoilers

catrox14
Message added by ohjoy

Please keep your speculation and comments on the end of Supernatural in the Supernatural Ending topic. Use this topic here or the Spoilers With Speculation topic for discussion of the upcoming season only. As always, keep Bitch vs. Jerk discussion in its own topic.

Thank you.

• Start Topic

Hey, I'm not telling you to like Dean. And, feel free to think he's an asshole cause sometimes he can be. However, the topic re the spoiler is that Dean IS doing something he's never been shown to do, nor even to want to do and that's cheat on someone he's committed to NOR try to get a woman from her partner. That's my whole point. It's just not canon. If you think he's selfish fair enough. But he's not exhibited that behavior.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, SueB said:

Finally, since this is the bitter spoilers thread, I’m not going to attempt to dissuade you from building up your mental monsters and horrible scenarios.  I would say, that unless you have seen the episode, making definitive statements of what is going to happen doesn’t make sense to me.

Our bitter speculation off the spoilers we have gotten is really no different than rest of the stuff we bitterly speculate about.   It's unfortunate that we didn't have the privilege of seeing the episode and opinions might still vary after the episode has aired.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, SueB said:

Have you seen the episode?  If not, then why are you telling someone to give up hope?

If I'm not mistaken @gonzosgirrl isn't referring to the episode as a whole, just the clip that was posted and we have watched and the accompanying article.  Which does show Dean attempting to come between two people an established relationship.  (Sorry if I misunderstood you Gonzosgirrl)

IMO, this is not something Dean has been shown to do.

20 minutes ago, SueB said:

I found the episode poignant from a Dean perspective without making a point of making it poignant.

I really hope its not another "Dean needs to learn a lesson ep"

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

If I'm not mistaken @gonzosgirrl isn't referring to the episode as a whole, just the clip that was posted and we have watched and the accompanying article.  Which does show Dean attempting to come between two people an established relationship.  (Sorry if I misunderstood you Gonzosgirrl)

I have the same perspective.

• Love 1

I`ve been hunting a bit for spoilers from someone whose taste seems to align with mine and who got to see it at Paleyfest already. But so far no luck.  All the positive reviews can just as well be from people who are really into Clown!Dean and/or aren`t bothered by it whereas that stuff drives me nuts. So I can`t take those at face value. 

The clips seem okay so far. Didn`t love everything but nothing horrified in it either. At the very least I hope the episode is more harmless and doesn`t feature the usual putdowns. Sam rolling his eyes and being all stuffy and superior all the time even in cartoon is annoying as well.   

• Love 3
11 hours ago, catrox14 said:

However, the topic re the spoiler is that Dean IS doing something he's never been shown to do, nor even to want to do and that's cheat on someone he's committed to NOR try to get a woman from her partner.

I agree that Dean hasn't been shown to do that for himself that I remember either. Dean did oddly seem okay with the idea of Sam pursuing Ava even though Sam said she was engaged, but that was a long time ago and he may have been doing so just to yank Sam's chain. It's been a while since I've seen that episode.

10 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

Sam rolling his eyes and being all stuffy and superior all the time even in cartoon is annoying as well.  

If this is pretty much all Sam does, I will agree with whoever said on the last page that Sam is being written as a caricature also. I'm a bit tired of Sam being portrayed as a wet blanket all the time. We have seen that he can have fun and have fun with Dean - "Baby" and the role-playing episode come to mind off the top of my head. Oh, and their "beach" vacation, too.

Edited by AwesomO4000
because "betrayed" and "portrayed" are not the same thing.
8 hours ago, ILoveReading said:

IMO, this is not something Dean has been shown to do.

I really hope its not another "Dean needs to learn a lesson ep"

My mistake then.  I thought she was dashing catrox’s hopes about poignancy vs dashing catrox’s hope that Dean doesn’t hit on Daphne because she’s with Fred.  I agree the previews give enough information to form a definitive perspective about the latter topic. 

17 hours ago, Aeryn13 said:

I`ve been hunting a bit for spoilers from someone whose taste seems to align with mine and who got to see it at Paleyfest already. But so far no luck.  All the positive reviews can just as well be from people who are really into Clown!Dean and/or aren`t bothered by it whereas that stuff drives me nuts. So I can`t take those at face value. 

The clips seem okay so far. Didn`t love everything but nothing horrified in it either. At the very least I hope the episode is more harmless and doesn`t feature the usual putdowns. Sam rolling his eyes and being all stuffy and superior all the time even in cartoon is annoying as well.   

Same here.

I actually LOL at the "Look how big my mouth is..."

But, as usual and cartoon or not, for me the episode will mostly hinge on how they write Dean as a hunter in it.

24 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

will mostly hinge on how they write Dean as a hunter in it.

The fact that we have Dean screaming in fear at the sight of a ghost suggests it won't be any better than Dabb.  I was hoping maybe Dean was playing along with the scenario but then i saw this clip.

http://deangirlsince07.tumblr.com/post/172113091130/here-is-a-9-second-clip-from-scoobynatural-that

Fred: We have to stop this ghost

Daphne: We almost did.  Dean had him by the ? (I can't quite make out this word but it sounds like thigh)

Cas: You what

Dean: I almost caught him, that's the point.

Velma (mockingly): That's the point.

So my expectations for this episode are now even lower. It wouldn't surprise me if Dean let the ghost get away becasue he was too busy flirting with Daphne.

It also wouldn't surprise me if this episode ends with the entire Scooby gang wanting nothing to do with Dean. 

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Velma (mockingly): That's the point.

Well they did say she and Sam were sympatico. *snark*

8 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

It also wouldn't surprise me if this episode ends with the entire Scooby gang wanting nothing to do with Dean. 

Dean is wearing the red scarf in 'real life', presumably at the end? So hopefully this isn't the case. They'll probably carry Sam back to the Impala on their shoulders though. :P

• Love 3

Ugh I REALLY dislike that clip. Dean is so unappealing in Scooby at this point. My gods. I'm really sad and angry at what I'm seeing thus far.  Yes, there is some context missing so maybe it will all work out to Dean's benefit in some way. Thus far, I don't have that vibe AT ALL.

What really grates is that Dean is now in Scooby animated living that way forever. Scooby fans who don't watch SPN and catch this episode, won't get a taste for the Dean who is multi layered, complicated with a crap ton of shit in his life and all the compassion and love for humanity and heart that he has in SPN.

For me this characterization is just not Dean.  He doesn't look like Dean. He doesn't sound like Dean, which I like to think is Jensen doing it on purpose to distance this Dean from HIS regular Dean( leave me to fantasy, thank you very much). 

He isn't acting like Dean other than the worst tropes version of Dean and one who's never existed re trying to take a woman from her partner. Thus far I'm not seeing any of Dean's wonderful qualities like his kindness, his empathy, his snarky sense of humor. His emotional inner life is completely absent here. And maybe that just comes down to how much Jensen creates those deep layers in Dean that we see in his acting face. We don't get that here thus far in what I've seen. 

Sigh.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

And maybe that just comes down to how much Jensen creates those deep layers in Dean that we see in his acting face. We don't get that here thus far in what I've seen.

You're probably seeing the Dean that the writers and producers see. The sense and interpretation that they have of the character. Not the one that Jensen portrays and that's, most likely, the big difference.

So sad.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, belbar said:

You're probably seeing the Dean that the writers and producers see. The sense and interpretation that they have of the character. Not the one that Jensen portrays and that's, most likely, the big difference.

So sad.

And this has Dabb's seal of approval and fingerprints all over it. I'd listen to opinions on why Dabb as showrunner is not the worst thing that ever happened to Supernatural, but in my opinion he is the WORST thing that ever happened to Dean. Screw him.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I'd listen to opinions on why Dabb as showrunner is not the worst thing that ever happened to Supernatural

You wont't listen one from me. That's for sure.

• Love 2

And this is one of many reasons why I was never excited about this crossover to begin with. Of course, I haven't been really excited about anything from the show's episodes since they supposedly cured Demon!Dean . . . Hey, Dabb, show us the universe where Demon!Dean was never cured! That would be so much better than valium Dean, slapstick/clumsy Dean, pretty much any Dean that has come since then, IMO. I'd love an ep where these Deans switch places and it takes a while for Sam to figure it out because Demon Dean is just messing with him. Lol!

• Love 1

I've only seen one or two of the previews for the episode, so I have no idea how it's going to play out.  But my plan is to just go with it and see what happens.  It's a cartoon.  Dean is getting to meet his childhood crush.  We've seen him be a goof sometimes when he's flirting with some woman, so this will probably be more of the same.  I'm going to hope that based on how much they've been promoting the episode, it won't completely suck.  But I do expect it to be different than what we're used to, which doesn't necessarily make it bad.  They've done some pretty "out there" things on this show, and this is just one more.  

I'm honestly not concerned about any long-term damage to Dean's character.  And as much as I like Jensen, even he seems to embrace the "Dean's a moron" schtick sometimes with the over-the-top characterizations.  I wish they'd tone it down, or tone him down sometimes, but I doubt he's doing it against his will.  We get serious, in control Dean, and then we get Dean who can't eat without food falling out of his mouth...I prefer the former, but I think Jensen enjoys playing up the latter.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MysteryGuest said:

And as much as I like Jensen, even he seems to embrace the "Dean's a moron" schtick sometimes with the over-the-top characterizations.  I wish they'd tone it down, or tone him down sometimes, but I doubt he's doing it against his will.  We get serious, in control Dean, and then we get Dean who can't eat without food falling out of his mouth...I prefer the former, but I think Jensen enjoys playing up the latter.

I agree with you that part of it,  it's probably Jensen, and IMO yes they'd tone it down. However let's be serious, he doesn't have much to work with. Most of the episodes now are zombie Dean, I look pretty Dean or clumsy Dean. Every few episodes he shows up and fights for a few seconds and that's it.

I said once that this is not their story anymore, and IMO that's a problem. So all that adds up to what?  what's left? for him not much other than the comedy scthick (taken way too far to my taste) YMMV

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, belbar said:

I said once that this is not their story anymore, and IMO that's a problem. So all that adds up to what?  what's left? for him not much other than the comedy scthick (taken way too far to my taste) YMMV

Well, he seems pretty excited about a twist to his character that's supposed to be coming pretty soon, so hopefully, it will turn into something interesting.  On the whole, I haven't been bothered by the amount of Sam/Dean we've gotten this season.  The big negative for me this year is the plethora of characters.  I can't get a picture in my head of just who aligns with whom, and how it's all going to make sense in the end.  If Dean really does become Michael's meat suit, then what was the point of bringing Gabriel back?  Or Ketch?  It's just cluttered things up, IMO.

Edited by MysteryGuest
3 minutes ago, MysteryGuest said:

Well, he seems pretty excited about a twist to his character that's supposed to be coming pretty soon, so hopefully, it will turn into something interesting.  On the whole, I haven't been bothered by the amount of Sam/Dean we've gotten this season.

I agree that Dean shows up, it doesn't mean that he's doing something. Not that much of a difference for Sam. Not exactly the same though, but let's leave it there. One of the problems with this season IMO is the mess it has become. There doesn't seem to be a theme or rythm other than resurrecting all the old glories to totally reconstruct their stories. It's like they didn't know what to do and decided to bring back all the fan favorites but nobody knows what's the point. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

And yes, Jensen seems to be excited about the twist to his character. I hope it turns out to be something interesting for a change. I'm not so sure about Michael. I loved the original story back in season 4, and even if I hated the "Adam solution"  (I've alway thought that when unknown children start showing up out of the blue in a show, something is not working in the writers room. Come on that was cheap) I could understand that they wouldn't confront the brothers once it wasn't the end of the show. But now, 8 years later I'm not so sure how it's going to work. Yes I've read all the theories running around the forum. Some of them are good but I don't have much faith in the current writers and none in Dabb. So I'd love to see a good story, but I prefer to stay "just moderately optimist".   But you're right Gabriel is here for a reason (probably the grace), Ketch I think is more anecdotic, it's fan service. The actor seems to have clicked with the crew and the fans, but the character is limited IMO. I think it will be a tool for who knows what senseless magic solution and that will be it.

So all we can do is keep speculating, hope and wait. Fingers crossed. (end of the rant)

• Love 1

I'm not too worried. It's a cartoon so you can't really be layered and emotional. I get why they would play up the tropes even if they aren't my favorite. It's really a one-off episode that has no impact on the rest of the series to me. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, scribe95 said:

I'm not too worried. It's a cartoon so you can't really be layered and emotional. I get why they would play up the tropes even if they aren't my favorite. It's really a one-off episode that has no impact on the rest of the series to me. 

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. Even other supposed one off like Fan Fiction or French Mistake was tied to the mytharc or characterizations for that season. French Mistake was probably the least attached but still was worked into the SL. I expect something similar here.

Sam is getting his pissy thing but he's also seeming to be getting to solve the mystery. And Dean shrieking at a ghost? FUCK THAT. NOPE that's garbage right there. No reason that Dean would shriek. It's not like he's got the ghost sickness and is shrieking at a cat. That bothers me more than the Daphne thing for sure.

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I'm not sure that's necessarily true. Even other supposed one off like Fan Fiction or French Mistake was tied to the mytharc or characterizations for that season. French Mistake was probably the least attached but still was worked into the SL. I expect something similar here.

Sam is getting his pissy thing but he's also seeming to be getting to solve the mystery. And Dean shrieking at a ghost? FUCK THAT. NOPE that's garbage right there. No reason that Dean would shriek. It's not like he's got the ghost sickness and is shrieking at a cat. That bothers me more than the Daphne thing for sure.

Perhaps the shrieking is a deliberate thing on Dean’s part? What I mean is wasn’t there a clip where dean tells Sam not to let the Scooby gang know about their lives? Perhaps the shrieking is a continuation of him playing the civilian? 

48 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

Perhaps the shrieking is a deliberate thing on Dean’s part? What I mean is wasn’t there a clip where dean tells Sam not to let the Scooby gang know about their lives? Perhaps the shrieking is a continuation of him playing the civilian?

That was my take as well.  They don't want to corrupt the innocense  of the "gang".

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Casseiopeia said:

That was my take as well.  They don't want to corrupt the innocense  of the "gang".

I hope so. That would certainly make me feel better about things.

• Love 2

It's kind of hard to enjoy Deans' glee when Sam's juding his every word and acting like Dean's an embarrassment.

I'll be surprised if Dean's role is anything but slapstick

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 2
46 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

It's kind of hard to enjoy Deans' glee when Sam's judging his every word and acting like Dean's an embarrassment.

I'll be surprised if Dean's role is anything but slapstick

They have made Sam such a stuck-up wet blanket that it's almost going the other direction for me now - I can't take him seriously. At least the animators got his bitch-face down cold. Heh.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, gonzosgirrl said:

They have made Sam such a stuck-up wet blanket that it's almost going the other direction for me now - I can't take him seriously. At least the animators got his bitch-face down cold. Heh.

There is no doubt Sam does the bitch face a lot.  I'm actually surprised they are going with that in the episode.  I think it's funny that even Jared knows that Sam has a bitch face LOL

• Love 1

I wonder if Sam is just worried about Mary and having a hard time compartmentalizing.  He used to be much better at that but I think that "go to" coping mechanism is not working as much for him anymore.

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, SueB said:

I wonder if Sam is just worried about Mary and having a hard time compartmentalizing.  He used to be much better at that but I think that "go to" coping mechanism is not working as much for him anymore.

Eh, I think it's just Sam's caricature tropey thing they are going for. Dean chases Daphne and says Sonof bitch. Sam glowers at Dean and gives him a bitchface.

• Love 1
On 3/29/2018 at 5:02 PM, catrox14 said:

There is no doubt Sam does the bitch face a lot.  I'm actually surprised they are going with that in the episode.  I think it's funny that even Jared knows that Sam has a bitch face LOL

My impression is that ESG's love love love Sam bitchfaces almost as much as they love him bitching at Dean.  I am sure that both were win win for ESG fans even if the rest of us woukd prefer more well rounded, less tropish characterization.

2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Responding in the bitterness thread

Re the sneak peek of 13 x18

I don't understand this whole thing with Gabriel. I can't fathom how a Prince of Hell with the help of anyone even demigods could capture Gabriel and keep him in this condition for this long. Amazing how Gabriel's time of torture is already being given more attention and compassion than Dean's time in Hell.

I really hope we get something more on Dean in the AW kicking ass. 

• Love 5
8 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Amazing how Gabriel's time of torture is already being given more attention and compassion than Dean's time in Hell.

I have to admit this is leaving me feeling bitter as well. Plus, why is it Sam and Cas can show compassion for Gabe and Jack but neither has any for Dean?

• Love 5

Dean isn`t ever so wimpy - and thank God for that - which is why they usually follow him. I mean, this was basically even the case during the MOC-period where they said they were gonna be hypervigilant and then left him in a house with multiple baddies while they waited in the car. They do not see him as a woobie baby. During the MOC, I found it stupid, in this context with Gabriel, I actually don`t mind. 

Gabriel is now pretty much destroyed as a character for me. Sorry, this is just too much patheticness. I feel no empathy but annoyance. 

I`d rather Dean gets to kick some ass in the apocalypse world. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Dean isn`t ever so wimpy - and thank God for that - which is why they usually follow him. I mean, this was

I don't think someone is wimpy because they display pain and suffering.

I think they are already over doing it with Gabriel. My hope is that this is a big fat fake out on Gabriel's part.

I don't really want it to be Michael in Gabriel's meatsuit.

19 minutes ago, Aeryn13 said:

Dean isn`t ever so wimpy - and thank God for that - which is why they usually follow him. I mean, this was basically even the case during the MOC-period where they said they were gonna be hypervigilant and then left him in a house with multiple baddies while they waited in the car. They do not see him as a woobie baby. During the MOC, I found it stupid, in this context with Gabriel, I actually don`t mind. 

Gabriel is now pretty much destroyed as a character for me. Sorry, this is just too much patheticness. I feel no empathy but annoyance. 

I`d rather Dean gets to kick some ass in the apocalypse world. 

Dean's pretty badass.  Decades of torture and he's excepted to get over it five minutes and not be effected by it.  He not only did it, but he had to look after Sam and deal with an impending apocalypse.  This is why Dean is the leader.

The problem with Gabe is that we're 2/3 of the way through the season and not a single storyline has been developed.  Introducing another one was the last thing this season needed.

This ep is going to be a mess, especially since its written by Buck/Lemming.

Hopefully Dean will get to kick some ass in the AU rather than getting his kicked and this ep is not about Dean needing to learn another very special lesson, or setting him to to be "big dumb Winchester" who knocked over the house of cards.

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 3

I totally agree that if you're going to claim a character was being tortured non-stop in hell for decades, you shouldn't have had him return as anything approaching a functional human being. That's why I always wish Dean's hell time had been much shorter, or that there had been some indication that Cas had muted the memories so they were at least endurable. But as that's already happened, I'm not going to expect current writers to repeat the same mistakes, so I'm fine with Gabriel's torture being given sufficient weight. And I really don't like the notion that his response makes him "pathetic." 

1 hour ago, ILoveReading said:

I have to admit this is leaving me feeling bitter as well. Plus, why is it Sam and Cas can show compassion for Gabe and Jack but neither has any for Dean?

There was an entire episode that focused on Sam trying to help Dean this season.  I don't understand how that is not Sam showing compassion for Dean.  If Sam wasn't concerned about Dean and his state of mind, he wouldn't have done any of that.  Dean even said that Sam was there for him when he was in his funk.

Edited by Reganne
  • Love 1

I totally agree that if you're going to claim a character was being tortured non-stop in hell for decades, you shouldn't have had him return as anything approaching a functional human being. 

We`re talking about an archangel here, though. Apparently up in angel prison they were really big on horrible torture and Gadreel for one was in their for millenia. I`m not saying he was perfectly okay when he made it out, otherwise Metatron wouldn`t have gotten his claws into him, but he was nowhere close to weeping in a corner. 

The show has set the precent now where even human characters like Bobby or Mary are said to have been tortured horribly and they shrug it off like it was no big deal. I hold a supposedly powerful supernatural being to a much higher standard than a human when it comes to enduring torture.

So this makes Gabriel look awful beyond the telling of it. 

After nearly 13 years of "eh, torture", I can`t accept this sudden detour into supreme broken-ness. I`ve accepted the in-universe rules of how torture is gonna be handled, anyone who breaks them now looks wimpy to me. If they wanted a reaction of "aww, that poor guy", they shouldn`t have spent years upon years hardening me against this very concept. Now it is what it is.

• Love 6

Are we supposed to feel sorry for Gabe. This is a guy who took enjoyment in messing with people and then killing them. He also took pleasure in killing Dean hundreds of times. I guess you could say he is getting his just desserts

• Love 7

If there are new previews, I haven't seen them yet, but I'm wondering if Gabriel's level of suffering is due in part to his siphoned off grace?  Not only was he tortured (apparently), but he's now experiencing human feelings that he's never felt before.  Wouldn't that make his tolerance a bit lower than normal humans who are used to experiencing a myriad of emotions?

• Love 1

Apparently Gabriel runs off at the end of next ep and resurfaces in 20 for his "cool revenge bit" so I'm not expecting a lot of focus on his suffering.

I don't know what I'm expecting really. He's the only character that can bring a bit of fun to the end of the season, but I'm so sick of characters being brought back I'm not even sure if I want to give him a chance. And if he turns out to be enjoyable, watch the writers get rid of him in the finale because they wouldn't see a good thing if it bit them in the ass. I mean just look at what they're doing (or rather not doing) with Jack.

Edited by BoxManLocke
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, devlin said:

Are we supposed to feel sorry for Gabe. This is a guy who took enjoyment in messing with people and then killing them. He also took pleasure in killing Dean hundreds of times. I guess you could say he is getting his just desserts

Right?? I don't feel sorry for him at all.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, devlin said:

HA! IKR?

Yeah, I just can't feel sorry for Gabriel mainly because I can't stand Speight's acting. No matter who or what he's played on this show, the character just always comes off as a complete asshole to me-and not the lovable type that I think he's going for.

I knew I'd be using the FF button on the bunker scenes when Dean went through the rift with Ketch last week. I just hope that, as others have stated, we'll get some good BadassDean stuff in the AU.

Edited by Myrelle
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Reganne said:

There was an entire episode that focused on Sam trying to help Dean this season.  I don't understand how that is not Sam showing compassion for Dean.  If Sam wasn't concerned about Dean and his state of mind, he wouldn't have done any of that.  Dean even said that Sam was there for him when he was in his funk.

Will respond in Bitch/Jerk as its not really a spoiler.

3 hours ago, scribe95 said:

When Dean came back from hell he clearly compartmentalized. That was how he stayed functioning. If he had been curled up in a corner you better believe Sam would have done anything to help him. 

replying in B v J for safety.

Godsfrakkingspammit.

Dean gets shot immediately. Hopefully, Dean gets to take out his own bullet and saves himself. I hope.

Also, why the fuck is someone just randomly shooting another person? Do they think he's some kind of angel? WTF? This is kind of stupid at first blush.

Give me a break. Why is Sam telling Gabriel that he needs him, in such a weird begging way? WTF? Talk about some Sabriel ship baiting LOL.

Sorry, but Sam's rah rah speeches just don't work for me. He never sounds rah rah we can do this together. It's more like DO IT FOR ME. I guess he hasn't tried giving him the Sam puppy dog eyes yet?

• Love 5