Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons: The Donna Noble Years

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the Donna Noble seasons. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

Yeah!  I think it's BRILLIANT to divide the seasons up by companions.  Bravo whoever came up with that (assuming you Lisin!).

This is where I think I will be spending most of my time.  Because even though my favorite Doctor is Nine, my favorite story arc was everything with DoctorDonna in it. 

The first episode(s) where I really felt connected to the outcome of the characters was with Silence of the Library and the Forest of the Dead.  I thought it was brilliantly put together and got me so invested in all the characters (including River Song) and kept me on pins and needles for two episodes.  Awesome!

• Love 1

I loved Series 4 because Ten had (for the most part) moved on from his neverending manpain over losing Rose, and when he got too cocky or arrogant Donna was there to smack him around.

I truly believe that Donna was the Doctor's very best friend. She saved him from himself -- he says it to her in the two-parter with Martha when he thinks she's leaving -- and there was never any romantic tension between them which was soooo refreshing.

So of course they had to, you know, completely undo all of that. #screwyouRTD

• Love 5

I loved Donna so much and yes it was utterly refreshing to have a companion who didn't make puppy dog eyes at the Doctor every 5 mins and who also wasn't there as 'eye candy' for the guys (yawn).

My fav ever exchange was:

Doctor: "I just want a mate."

Donna: "You just want TO MATE?! well you ain't mating with ME, sunshine!!"

Doctor: "NO I just want A mate, A. MATE!"

Donna: "Oh, well, that's ok then"

I lolled so hard at that. :D

• Love 6

I laughed so much I cried during the Donna era and then I cried cause I cried when 10 had to wipe her memories :'(

We really needed the laughter because 10 was so bitter during the Martha era. I think it was a great thing bringing in a comedian. 

• Love 2

I am with the rest who share the Donna love, but there was one episode she was in that I continue to think to myself, what the heck was THAT about?  The Unicorn and the Wasp.

Can someone tell me what the heck that was?

• Love 1

Yes, I probably should have said that, because the title doesn't mean jack does it? ::giggle::

But seriously, did you enjoy that one? No matter how many times I watch it, I am like um, I don't get it.

@BizBuzz The title refers to the jewel thief known as 'The Unicorn' and the

Vespiform

aka 'The Wasp', try this link, it explains it all, rather than me copy/paste a wall of text in here.

The foundation for the whole plot is basically that AC really did disappear for 10 days and no-one knew where she went. It was never publicly explained AFAIK, this is the Doctor's spin on it. (sorry if I'm being too literal about what you don't get but it's difficult to know whether you mean all of it or just parts of it).

As for enjoying it, well, it isn't one of my favourite episodes but it was ok.

• Love 1

Thanks @SilverStormm - yeah, I was kinda vague.

With most of the episodes, especially within a companion, I have noticed a general theme.  And most every episode with that companion will have something that relates to that theme.  This episode seemed to come out of nowhere and didn't seem to fit with the rest of the episodes.  Was it a throw away story?  It feels like I am missing something.

Thanks for the link, I did enjoy reading that.

It was a 'filler' episode imo. Apparently the writer (an AC fan) wanted to do an AC whodunnit type episode....so yes, I'd say it was a throw away in that respect. It's been quite a while since I watched it last but, I don't even recall any foreshadowing in that episode? I may be wrong though.

According to that link you posted, it seems there is a bit of foreshadowing:

Donna then reminds the Doctor that Agatha never thought her work was good, but the Doctor responds, "Well, no one knows how they're going to be remembered. All we can do is hope for the best. Maybe that's what kept her writing. Same thing keeps me traveling. Onwards?" He asks Donna with a smile. "Onwards," she says, returning the smile. He pulls a lever on the console and they set off.

The caption on that page under the picture of 10 showing Donna the book says:

The Doctor shows Donna Agatha will be remembered

I guess to say you never know, you might just be the most special person of all time and not even know it?  ::giggle::

• Love 1

"The Unicorn and The Wasp" was a treat for Agatha Christie fans, the writer tried to jam as many AC titles in the dialogue as he could.  There were quite a few.

One of my favorite episodes "Midnight" aired during the Donna Noble season, but Donna was not featured that much, instead we get a razor sharp performance from Lesley Sharp of Scott and Bailey fame.

Right after Midnight was perhaps my favorite from the Donna Noble season, Left Turn.

• Love 2

What I think is neatest is that, if you've used the Cambridge School Classics Project Latin curriculum, the Pompeii episode is not only, for the most part, characters from that book series, but it answers a question that just doesn't make sense-the first level of the book, designed for about 7th grade or so, takes place in Pompeii. At the 2nd stage, suddenly, they're out in the countryside, with no explanation, despite that the father's career wouldn't really transport well. Makes SO much sense to be able to say that the Doctor did it-and LOLed at the idea that the reason this family could be saved was because they were so insignificant, knowing that they're characters in one of the most common textbook series used for Latin instruction in the English speaking world (and quite possibly the most commonly used in England).

Love Donna as a companion. I just kind of wish they'd been able to keep Catherine Tate around longer-if not as a regular companion, at least in a way that would have let her easily be brought back for one-shot deals later, the way Rose and Martha both have.

• Love 1

I must be the only person who loved "The Unicorn and the Wasp." It might be one of my favorite episodes from what is certainly my favorite season.  And it is my favorite season because of Donna.  I loved that they were just friends, which was badly needed after Rose and Martha.  I don't want romance between the Doctor and the companions.  I want them to be best mates.  A reason I missed The Ponds when they left.  And I hope Twelve and Clara can do that as well.

I would love it if they can find a way to bring Donna back, and Wilf too.  But I wont hold my breath.  The Doctor must keep running, and running forward. No looking back.

• Love 2
(edited)

I must be the only person who loved "The Unicorn and the Wasp." It might be one of my favorite episodes from what is certainly my favorite season.  And it is my favorite season because of Donna.  I loved that they were just friends, which was badly needed after Rose and Martha.  I don't want romance between the Doctor and the companions.  I want them to be best mates.  A reason I missed The Ponds when they left.  And I hope Twelve and Clara can do that as well.

I would love it if they can find a way to bring Donna back, and Wilf too.  But I wont hold my breath.  The Doctor must keep running, and running forward. No looking back.

Unless it's Rose.  I think now though 12 will be mostly a blank slate.

Edited by MarquisDeCarabas
  • Love 1

No, you are not the only one to love that episode.  I thought they did a good job of incorporating the mystery of Agatha Christie without taking it over.  I would also love to see Wilf and Donna again, but I will have to be content with reruns.

"The Next Doctor" - The episode following "The Journey's End" - so not about Donna or Ten; but the others in the episode or one.  If Missy is a scary Mary Poppins; then Mercy (Miss Hartigan - Dervla Kirwan) is a frightening Jane Eyre.  For all the fluff and nonsense of the nethersphere, Miss Hartigan, seemingly obeying them, she used the Cybermen for her own purpose and then took over becoming the Cyber-Queen.  If it was not for the Doctor(s), what chance would the Earth have had?

• Love 1

I also adored that episode- I'm a big Christie fan and I loved the title spoilers throughout the episode.  And the flashbacks (flashback within a flashback), the clothes, and the marvelous charades in the kitchen.  Comedy gold whenever Tennant and Tate do that.  One of my go-to-episodes actually.  I can understand why some might not be as impressed but I love it.

• Love 1

The clothes!  I love that time period in fashion!

Back to "Journey's End" , watching the scene right after 10.5 is dressed and the two are in the Tardis, I thought - now that would be fun 10.5 and THEdoctordonna travelling together -  if it were truly a two way biological meta crises, then Donna should have had more than a touch of Time Lord DNA to match the human part of 10.5.

• Love 1

I love The Unicorn and the Wasp, especially the charades scene.  I've been known to blurt out at random times: "It's a SONG! CAMPTOWN RACES! TOWERING INFERNO!" 

My fav ever exchange was:

Doctor: "I just want a mate."
Donna: "You just want TO MATE?! well you ain't mating with ME sunshine!!"
Doctor: "NO I just want A mate, A. MATE!"
Donna: "Oh, well, that's ok then"

I lolled so hard at that. :D

What cracks me up is that, in American vernacular, that still means the same thing!  We don't really use "mate" to mean friend.  It generally refers to a sexual partner, whether you say "to" mate or "a" mate. 

Did BBCA really jump from "Silence in the Library" to "Journeys's End" (today at 5:00pm Eastern)?  I feel sorry for anyone who is trying to catch up on past NuWho episodes.  That is quite a leap!

That said, I still would like to see a 10.5/The doctordonna series.

Edited by elle
  • Love 1

I never have planned on watching Midnight a second time, but since I am now making my son go through chronologically after skipping around to whichever episode looked good to a seven-year-old based on pictures on Netflix I watched it yesterday.

I had to bite my tongue not to influence him, but DEAR GOD I want to repeatedly punch the face of everyone on that shuttle/bus/thing! The concept was interesting but those people are all so damn grating! Aaaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Just had to get that out somewhere. Thanks :)

Edited by morgankobi

Did BBCA really jump from "Silence in the Library" to "Journeys's End" (today at 5:00pm Eastern)?  I feel sorry for anyone who is trying to catch up on past NuWho episodes.  That is quite a leap!

That sucked. Two parter? Show both the damn parts.

I always got a kick out of future people meeting Donna and they would say "Donna Noble!" in awe then look sad as they realized. That would freak me out. LIke meeting a historical hero and then remembering that they ended sadly.... tho Donna ended as well as a... Donna could.

Donna's ending fascinates me because, in many ways, it's supposed to be a happy ending. She is married, rich, happy, but I still find it so heartbreakingly tragic because she doesn't remember the most important, life changing part of her life. She changed as a person, she grew and became more confident and believed she had a purpose in the universe and then it was all taken away so she could go be a wife and have this happy, simple life she wanted back before she knew what she was really capable of.

I just wish there was a way for her to come back, if only for a one off trip with the doctor. I would love to see her reaction to this incarnation. Especially since she's the one who would recognize him as the father in Pompeii. That could be pretty interesting. Of course I'm not 100% confident in TIIC remembering saying that it was important that the Doctor chose this face so I'm not optimistic it will ever come up.

• Love 1

My absolute favorite moment of New Who is all of the old companions flying the Tardis together. So beautiful. I also loved the friendship between Martha and Donna. Rose kind if mucked things up being the Doctor's Twu Wuv.

• Love 2

I'm never sure where to talk about Wilf, but this seems the most appropriate.

"The Sound of Drums/The End of Time" was part of the recent marathon.  I normally get a little misty eyed at Wilf's speech to Ten about leaving him to take the radiation and his exhortations of how and why Ten should keep living.  This time he just broke my heart!  Blame it on end of year melancholy, I don't know.  I remember reading here somewhere someone suggesting how they would have like to have seen an older companion, such as Wilf, and a young companion to travel with the Doctor.  I wish that could have happened as well.

• Love 3

Wilf was amazing.  Those episodes had, in spades, what's been missing from the Twelve seasons.  The way these secondary characters were fleshed out, and moving -- so that you were emotionally invested in them -- is lacking these days.  

It's a fleeting scene, but at the very end when Wilf and Donna's mom are at the wedding and Ten has just given them a lottery ticket and is now going back to his Tardis, and Wilf salutes him and then starts to cry for the Doctor, it's just such a fantastic way of conveying the emotion of what was going on.  

• Love 5