Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons: The Rose Tyler Years

• Start Topic

A place to discuss particular episodes, arcs and moments from the Rose Tyler seasons. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I was introduced to Doctor Who with Nine and Rose.  And although I sat through Season 1 Episode 1 and thought it was cheesy and corny, I listened to my then 11 year old daughter when she said, Mom, really give it a chance.

By the third episode I was HOOKED.  Thank goodness I listened to her.

Rose will always hold a special place in my heart because of my love for Nine.  She was good for Nine.  It seems as if she gave him the courage to move on. 

However, one of my favorite scenes with her involves Ten:

::giggle::

• Love 1

I only tolerated Rose with Nine, and I loved her chemistry with Jack as well.

I just couldn't stand what the character became in Series 2 and her subsequent appearances. I guess most of the reason is because I never bought her true love with Ten bit they tried to sell me.

• Love 7

I just couldn't stand what the character became in Series 2 and her subsequent appearances. I guess most of the reason is because I never bought her true love with Ten bit they tried to sell me.

So much word. I didn't like that they tried to do the same thing to Martha.

Thank goodness for BBC America. I'm watching the end of "Doomsday," and I have to say, Billie completely rocked the scene at the wall. Every time I see this ep, I applaud them for how she just let go with the makeup streaming down her face.

I can see why some people couldn't sand Rose/Ten, but it worked for me because I thought David and Billie had great chemistry. Some of the S2 episodes were not as strong, but overall, I still like the emotional points. As a result, I never minded when she came back, and I think the Doomsday payoff was good. I think I love Nine/Rose a bit more though.

• Love 4

Rose will always hold a special place in my heart because of my love for Nine.  She was good for Nine.  It seems as if she gave him the courage to move on.

My first doctor was Tom Baker. I didn't think I could love another doctor more...then came nine.

Christopher Eccleston won my heart!  And I have a big girl crush on Billie Piper so there is that. And personally I thought Billie and Christopher had the best chemistry of any doctor and his companion since Tom Baker and Lala Ward.

I felt their connection. And that little flirty scene in the Doctor Dances ep will always have a special place in my heart. I thought the set up during nine's tenure of The Doctor and Rose being romantically involved was done nicely so I bought their mutual affection when ten arrived. And I guess since the actor was younger than CE it was "more acceptable" but personally I liked the older man/younger woman vibe from Billie and Christopher.

• Love 4

Past seasons: "The Girl in the Fireplace" has a beginning that is prescient of "Listen" with the thing under the bed, don't look, etc..  or in other words... was "Listen" cribbed from that small scene or was did it expand on it?  Either way, a clockwork robot hiding under one's bed, is a lot scarier than what we wound up with in "Listen".

I just watched "The Girl In The Fireplace". Not my favorite episode so I only watched it when it aired the first time.  Was Reinette complete after she "mind melded" with The Doctor? Was that what they were waiting for? I didn't get the significance of her 37th birthday or why it made her "complete". I know it correlated with the age of the ship or something like that. The end bothered me because the Doctor could have just brought her to the Tardis instead of coming back for her. 

I just watched "The Girl In The Fireplace". Not my favorite episode so I only watched it when it aired the first time.  Was Reinette complete after she "mind melded" with The Doctor? Was that what they were waiting for? I didn't get the significance of her 37th birthday or why it made her "complete". I know it correlated with the age of the ship or something like that. The end bothered me because the Doctor could have just brought her to the Tardis instead of coming back for her. 

Her age needed to be the same as the ship's age for her to be compatible  with the ship's systems, I think that is how they explained it.

The Doctor could not have brought Reinette on board the Tardis because that would 1)mess up the established history of Madame de Pompadour and 2)what would become of Rose if he did?  

I'm not crazy about The Girl in the Fireplace like others are (I found the Doctor too out of character in that one) though I absolutely love the last musical piece.

That's because the girl in the fireplace and all of Moffat's episodes in the RTD era were test runs for his idea of the doctor not the actual ones the episodes featured.  The same goes with the companions. Rose, Martha and Donna they were either separated or fridged for his Mary Sue companions.

I was interested in this show because I was reading The Curse of the Spellmans and in the book the teenager had to read an hour for every episode she watched of the 1995 Dr. Who.  She particularly liked episode two "The End of the World".  Throughout the book the episodes were recapped.

I found the complete first season at the library, hooray for libraries, and checked it out.  I didn't like the first episode but was hooked after the second.  Love the concept.  Now I see why Howard Wolowitz fought so hard to keep his call box, tardish?

I’m thinking that the episodes are airing as how BBCA sees each Doctor’s popularity, with Nine and Twelve being at the bottom.

I feel it’s been a good series. I do get flustered when thing get too damn epic. Seriously, I can’t explain the finer points of “The End Of Time.”

I wasn't too thrilled with Ecceston, and the pilot for the revival, Rose, wasn't as good as the pilot for Eight a decade before. The second one was much better, although the two leads don't have much chemistry together.

Edited by Notwisconsin
1 hour ago, Notwisconsin said:

I wasn't too thrilled with Ecceston, and the pilot for the revival, Rose, wasn't as good as the pilot for Seven a decade before. The second one was much better, although the two leads don't have much chemistry together.

Time and the Rani? Or do you mean the TV movie for 8?

In this photo, Jackie has her left hand on the trigger. Is Camille Coduri a lefty? The images I've found are inconclusive. Anyone want to go back and watch a few Jackie episodes, watch her hands? I would, only I don't have any about my person right now.

As you may have guessed, I'm a proud lefty, and always on the lookout for left-handed celebs.

2 hours ago, Anduin said:

In this photo, Jackie has her left hand on the trigger. Is Camille Coduri a lefty? The images I've found are inconclusive. Anyone want to go back and watch a few Jackie episodes, watch her hands? I would, only I don't have any about my person right now.

YouTube has some videos of her. I'd say no. She uses her right hand to sign autographs and hold a microphone. On the show, she used her right to slap the Doctor and splash a Slitheen,, tasks that would have been awkward if that wasn't her accustomed hand. The gun was probably a filming choice.

4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

YouTube has some videos of her. I'd say no. She uses her right hand to sign autographs and hold a microphone. On the show, she used her right to slap the Doctor and splash a Slitheen,, tasks that would have been awkward if that wasn't her accustomed hand. The gun was probably a filming choice.

😞 Thanks for checking it out, though!

Recently watching Doctor Who for the first time and started with the 9th Doctor and am a few episodes into the first season of 10. When I got to "The Doctor Dances" and "I am your 'mummy'! I will always be your 'mummy'!" and "Everybody lives!" they had me.

Is it wrong that I liked Rose more when Cassandra took over her mind in "New Earth"? She was sexy AF. Had no idea Billie Piper was a late 90s pop star in the UK(although that Big Train sketch with Simon Pegg made me laugh).

Edited by VCRTracking

I forgot about this thread.

I posted this video in the Media thread, but I think it's a better fit here. Basically, this is every episode of the modern era (from “Rose” to “Resolution”) as described by clips from It’s Always Sunny In Philadelphia. For the most part? It actually works.

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1