Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Episode Four

QQQQ

There's a reason they don't say hug the messenger

we had a thing back in the sev-

oh just say it.

this show makes me laugh so hard.

why is merc stringing them both along though? I get being reluctant to go through legal misuses with Jamie but he seems to have real feeling for carol so why doesn't he just break off with morning?

8 hours ago, paulvdb said:

And "Netflix already has Whores." Because that sounds like the kind of show that I could see on Netflix.

And of course it would star Sharon Stone.

Great episode. It's rare for a show/movie to make me flinch, but my god did I almost gag when Carol put the pregnancy test in her mouth.

How old is Morning supposed to be? If she and Merc had "a thing" back in the seventies, for her to have been an adult at the time means she is now at least in her 60s. John Pankow (Merc) is 63 so I guess it's possible but Mircea Monroe (Morning) in real life is only 35. 

The whole thing with the wild boar was hysterical. Did they use CGI or something mechanical? 

Too bad Matt's such a dummy because the idea Bev had (before he interrupted her with his dumb suggestions) sounded really intriguing: a story about a guy told from three different perspectives in time, like the same person living three different types of a life depending on choices they made early on. I'd watch something like that.

It will be so meta if Matt winds up in some really lame generic family sitcom. Like Man with a Plan.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

How old is Morning supposed to be? If she and Merc had "a thing" back in the seventies, for her to have been an adult at the time means she is now at least in her 60s. John Pankow (Merc) is 63 so I guess it's possible but Mircea Monroe (Morning) in real life is only 35. 

The whole thing with the wild boar was hysterical. Did they use CGI or something mechanical?

Mornings age hasn't been established, but she did play William Shatner's wife on a tv-show back in the 70's. James Purefoy was playing her little brother back in season 2, and he's born 1964.

The boar was definitely animatronic. And it looked great.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

She also did a benefit for Three Mile Island. Merc is such a slime though, I could see him hitting on her when she was 16. 

6 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Too bad Matt's such a dummy because the idea Bev had (before he interrupted her with his dumb suggestions) sounded really intriguing: a story about a guy told from three different perspectives in time, like the same person living three different types of a life depending on choices they made early on. I'd watch something like that.

There was actually a show like that 5-7 years ago, wasn't there? The guy's son dies in one timeline or something. I don't know if the premise would be sustainable beyond a couple of seasons. Actually, Whores sounded good and Bev was reacting like she could work on something like that. 

However, I found Bev to be way insufferable. It's not like she doesn't know how Matt is, and he really wasn't being that bad. The whole point of brainstorming is to throw around whatever gets in your head. Matt does genuinely like them both, and Bev was really getting on his case. 

I can get the deal about the sheets, but even Sean was telling her to dial it down. You want the sheets so bad, just go look for them. I'm sure she could have found them. I also thought the boar thing dragged. If I was Matt, I would have told them to go back in the house and then shot the boar. It's his property. He can shoot wild animals (within reason). Although, I want to give Matt credit for playing the long game and forcing them to pay for it, which he absolutely should have. 

I don't even think they needed the boar plot. The three of them are compelling enough for me that I could have watched them for 15 minutes just in front of the white board. I'm really rooting for them to develop a good show. 

Did anyone watch The Box? One of them was filled with balloons! And there was a clown in another. The guy still was reading in his chair though, so he must be doing well. 

I kind of like the running gag of Morning being decades older than she looks, as a poke at all the plastic surgery actresses are more or less forced to undergo. That said, the joke doesn't entirely land, because past about 50, there's only so much to be done, and I can't think of a real life actrsss who has managed to turn the clock back that far. Mary Louise Parker, maybe?

Bev's running snarkologue is one of my favorite parts of the show. I can identify with finding everything vaguely ridiculous (hence she's a good comedy writer, I suppose), she just gets to say it all out loud because it's television.

• Love 1

"They gotta learn somehow." 

That may be my favorite line anywhere. Though I loved Bev's reaction as Matt was outlining his idea for the show, and then headed to the whiteboard and wrote "WHORES!!" And then jumped on it to his agent before they had a chance to work it through at all. I'm tellin' ya, in the end, the new show is going to be this one. It all fits too perfect now.

Carol did a magnificent job on the toilet with the pregnancy test. A whole lot of indecipherable emotion on her face there. 

I didn't care for the boar thing; it suggested to me that they really were beginning to run out of ideas. Everything else on this show has been so specific to these characters in this time and place. The boar thing seemed more like generic comedy. Bev's distaste for guns being turned into an ability to shoot...very Diane on THE GOOD WIFE.

Will Carol blame Bev for not telling her about Morning and Merc?

Though maybe too late with the pregnancy.

l guess the ranch is suppose to look kitschy on purpose, that Matt got the joke when he paid $8 million for it?

His other place by the beach is tastefully furnished and spectacular so why'd he buy this?

Who can sleep with the damn planetarium in that bedroom?

I love the joke that morning is in her 60s. It cracks me up. 

Mad for whether it's possible- they're coming up with stuff all the time- jane Fonda looked like dolly patrons daughter at the emmys. Of course it's exaggerated nobody 65 really looks 35 but it's a hilarious bit to me. 

• Love 1