Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

When the show started, Amy was working several part time jobs to make ends meet. Matt was unemployed. So, you can't say she was a stay at home mom while he busted his butt working long hours. Amy's parents had to pay for Zach's braces because Matt couldn't provide. He does not compare to a dr, trial attorney or businessman in any way shape or form.

• Love 14
(edited)

Male doctors, trial attorneys, businessmen, & difficult to hold employment dwarf men all have equal responsibility in raising their children. They don't get to drop sperm, go back to work & not participate. If that's how they feel, they should get snipped & never have kids.

And whether or not they actually participate they will have an influence in some way shape or form - they do exist in the child's view. It's not all the mom's fault, & it was definitely not all on Amy whether their children turned out well or not.

IMO.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Maybe that's me.  I like Matt.   I find him industrious and successful with all of his limitations.  He is way more handicapped in his dwarfism than Amy.  Many in his condition would be sitting in a wheel chair collecting social security checks each month.

For a second think of this family and where they would be without Matt!

While he was climbing mountains all Amy had to do was be a stay at home mom.  Raise good, respectful,industrious kids.

No  Mattt wasn't responsib!e for coparenting the kids.  That was Amy's only job and to me she failed miserably.  Well 75%!

To say a doctor,  trial attorney or businessman is equally responsible for the raising of four children when they have a stay at home mom just isn't fair!  Matt worked the farm so he was around a lot but his work was outside not inside.  He was the brains and the idea man!

Yes I'll give those not liking Matt the two dui's wrong yes for sure says this strong Supporter of MADD.  But they were in his distant past.

The infidelity really gets me.  Inuendo s only to affairs and locked office doors.  I just don't believe it at all!  To me it's all nasty Amy s dirty work.  Make matt look really bad.  I'm like Thomas I need more proof than Amy's tales.

Then there is post Amy Matt!  Writing a children's story and doing book signings across the country.  Even oversaw a flipped house to his credit!  

Matt sees Amy for what she is.  A woman that got it all but could never stop complaining long enough to enjoy it!

I hope those that read my words won't argue my thoughts because I won't respond.  Somebody asked why some folks liked Matt but not Amy.  I responded in a respectful way how I feel.  Thanks for reading.

Good points, but,  Matt was found not guilty of DWI in 2008.  I'm not sure when the other one was, but, I think that was in 2003.  And that may have been a not guilty too.  Someone around here may know. 

I choose to not blame Amy for the kids' issues anymore.  They are old enough to take responsibility for themselves. I do find it sad that Amy still seems to cling to resentments against Matt that she's had long before Caryn came along.  I don't see the point in that. 

• Love 4
(edited)
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Good points, but,  Matt was found not guilty of DWI in 2008.  I'm not sure when the other one was, but, I think that was in 2003.  And that may have been a not guilty too.  Someone around here may know. 

He was found guilty in 2003. 

Thanks to those who explained their reasons for being in Matt's corner. It's interesting, isn't it, how people can view things so very differently. It's clear that views about marriage, gender roles, and perhaps religion play into the conversation to a rather large degree. I can't begin to imagine a marriage in which partners aren't equally responsible for parenting, or ones in which one partner's contributions are somehow viewed as less important than the other's. Amy wasn't always pleasant -- understandable, in my view -- but she worked hard to perform the lion's share of parenting while Matt "strategized" or slept in. She was a full partner, and then some, in that union. Matt got passes, somehow, on providing AND parenting. 

The one thing I'll take issue with factually, @Jeanne222, is that "Amy's tales" about Matt's alleged infidelity don't exist. To my recollection, Amy has made no assertions for the camera about Matt and Caryn's having been involved while each was still married. Some of us on this board -- I am certainly one of them -- have voiced opinions (based on scenes from earlier seasons) that that was indeed the case.

Edited by Literata
  • Love 8
(edited)
8 hours ago, Jeanne222 said:

Maybe that's me.  I like Matt.   I find him industrious and successful with all of his limitations.  He is way more handicapped in his dwarfism than Amy.  Many in his condition would be sitting in a wheel chair collecting social security checks each month.

For a second think of this family and where they would be without Matt!

While he was climbing mountains all Amy had to do was be a stay at home mom.  Raise good, respectful,industrious kids.

No  Mattt wasn't responsib!e for coparenting the kids.  That was Amy's only job and to me she failed miserably.  Well 75%!

To say a doctor,  trial attorney or businessman is equally responsible for the raising of four children when they have a stay at home mom just isn't fair!  Matt worked the farm so he was around a lot but his work was outside not inside.  He was the brains and the idea man!

Yes I'll give those not liking Matt the two dui's wrong yes for sure says this strong Supporter of MADD.  But they were in his distant past.

The infidelity really gets me.  Inuendo s only to affairs and locked office doors.  I just don't believe it at all!  To me it's all nasty Amy s dirty work.  Make matt look really bad.  I'm like Thomas I need more proof than Amy's tales.

Then there is post Amy Matt!  Writing a children's story and doing book signings across the country.  Even oversaw a flipped house to his credit!  

Matt sees Amy for what she is.  A woman that got it all but could never stop complaining long enough to enjoy it!

I hope those that read my words won't argue my thoughts because I won't respond.  Somebody asked why some folks liked Matt but not Amy.  I responded in a respectful way how I feel.  Thanks for reading.

I have to disagree. Fathers don’t get a pass on parenting because  they have a job and Mom doesn’t.  Any  conservative will tell you that single parent families .... yada, yada, yada.  

As to the probable affair... I’ve never heard Amy refer to it.  I felt that the affair happened after seeing what I saw in shows filmed while Amy and Matt were still together. 

Certain Commenters have  made their hatred of Amy well known.  I dont hate Matt- I just dont find him to be someone I would care to be married to or be friends with. I also dont see Amy as a saint, but just as a typical person. 

Edited by mythoughtis
Trying to not point fingers
  • Love 6
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

All Amy had to do was be a stay at home mom.  

The word "all" has no place here. I have an advanced degree and have held director-and-higher corporate positions for a couple of decades now. I also took a break and stayed home for five years when my kids were small. Being a stay-at-home parent is extremely gratifying, but extremely labor-intensive -- more so than most paid positions. In my view, Amy is to be commended.

• Love 16

Oregon has a "diversion" program for first time DUI. When he was arrested in 2003, he did the diversion program rather than fight the DUI. So officially? The 2003 conviction was wiped out due to the diversion program.

Actually this isn't coming from Amy. The worst thing Amy has ever said on this topic was during one of the interview episodes after the separation where she said she was certain Matt was seeing someone now that they were separated, and this was during a q&a where she was being asked about dating new guys. 

That there's a lot of people thinking Matt was banging Caryn before the divorce was pretty much viewer speculation based on Matt's on screen behavior, the fact that it's in court documents that Caryn and not Amy has the key to his special office. Oh, and how Matt has constantly said on camera that he lies to his wife. Add in a new girlfriend in the form of an employee he's known for years... Amy doesn't have to tell tales for people to think Matt was banging his farm manager before the divorce. More importantly, it hasn't come from Amy. 

Too bad she can't blame Matt for this one!  I bet he's happy to be free and not have to take the blame for another of Amy's fails.

I haven't found any examples of Amy doing this on screen.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Literata said:

The word "all" has no place here. I have an advanced degree and have held director-and-higher corporate positions for a couple of decades now. I also took a break and stayed home for five years when my kids were small. Being a stay-at-home parent is extremely gratifying, but extremely labor-intensive -- more so than most paid positions. In my view, Amy is to be commended.

I think being a parent is work, but being a stay at home mom is work--exhausting, never-ending work. It lasts all day and all night. For me it didn't matter how much I'd done while the kids were in school, there was always something that needed to be done. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, zenme said:
6 hours ago, Literata said:

I think being a parent is work, but being a stay at home mom is work--exhausting, never-ending work. It lasts all day and all night. For me it didn't matter how much I'd done while the kids were in school, there was always something that needed to be done. 

I work full time, I'm married & have one child.  I am lucky enough to work from home so I am able to get housework & laundry done in between conference calls.  My husband works a 50+hour/wk job and he does help around the house, but the majority of running our home and taking care of our child is mostly on me.  So, while he clocks out @ 5 and comes home & relaxes before & after dinner is prepared and cleared, I'm still on the clock doing my "other jobs".  My day goes from 5:30am to midnight.  I'm not complaining or comparing my situation to anyone else.  This is what millions of women do every day. 

I swear, the whole "Women's Lib" movement and the struggle for "equality" was a bad deal.  Never mind that we are still fighting for the "equal" part, but the "Liberation" part is a crock.  We were sold a bad bill of goods!  Women were "liberated" from the home to go out and work 20-30-50 hours a week for someone else, THEN return to the home and keep working. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

I work full time, I'm married & have one child.  I am lucky enough to work from home so I am able to get housework & laundry done in between conference calls.  My husband works a 50+hour/wk job and he does help around the house, but the majority of running our home and taking care of our child is mostly on me.  So, while he clocks out @ 5 and comes home & relaxes before & after dinner is prepared and cleared, I'm still on the clock doing my "other jobs".  My day goes from 5:30am to midnight.  I'm not complaining or comparing my situation to anyone else.  This is what millions of women do every day. 

I swear, the whole "Women's Lib" movement and the struggle for "equality" was a bad deal.  Never mind that we are still fighting for the "equal" part, but the "Liberation" part is a crock.  We were sold a bad bill of goods!  Women were "liberated" from the home to go out and work 20-30-50 hours a week for someone else, THEN return to the home and keep working. 

Yes! We've been married 28 years, our kids are no longer home, and now I teach elementary school. I love my husband dearly, but I've actually talked (yelled) about moving out and getting my own place because yes, all of the work around my house falls on me. He comes home, eats his dinner and watches tv, while I either have work-related things to do, and continue to have the house and laundry to maintain.  I'm seriously considering getting someone to come in and clean a couple of times a week. 

• Love 9
9 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Oregon has a "diversion" program for first time DUI. When he was arrested in 2003, he did the diversion program rather than fight the DUI. So officially? The 2003 conviction was wiped out due to the diversion program.

As a technicality, because of jury misconduct, the judge threw out the jury verdict in 2008. The judge ultimately ruled that, as Matt had refused the breathalyzer, it came down to Matt's version versus the trooper's version and that there was reasonable doubt in the prosecution's case. Part of Matt's defense was that he was driving Amy's car and her foot extension pedals weren't adequate for him. Matt's license was taken for 3 years regardless of the verdict for refusal to take the breathalyzer.  And it should be noted that Matt's arrest was in 2007, 4 years after the first one. He clearly didn't learn much from his diversion program.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, Caracoa1 said:

If Amy's parents paid for braces on Zach's teeth then that was money wasted...his teeth are very crooked.

He probably didn't wear his retainer.  My daughter pulled that and all her teeth went back.  So she had to put herself back in retainers on her dime!

They now have permanent retainers and I highly recommend them!

2 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

He probably didn't wear his retainer.  My daughter pulled that and all her teeth went back.  So she had to put herself back in retainers on her dime!

They now have permanent retainers and I highly recommend them!

Not everyone’s teeth can be straightened with braces. Zach has a unique jaw shape.  

• Love 1
(edited)

No mention from Amy or Matt about Jeremy and Audrey not returning to the show. But, Matt did a video documenting the tree house being “destroyed”.

Screen shot from the video:

8A91F383-67B3-4C14-918F-78CB9A91BCE0.jpeg

Edited by ginger90
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, ginger90 said:

No mention from Amy or Matt about Jeremy and Audrey not returning to the show. But, Matt did a video documenting the tree house being “destroyed”.

Screen shot from the video:

8A91F383-67B3-4C14-918F-78CB9A91BCE0.jpeg

This is what Amy said about it

DD88D3C5-49BE-4B67-B860-EB2264D195B7.jpeg

• Love 2
On 7/9/2018 at 8:09 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

I choose to not blame Amy for the kids' issues anymore.  They are old enough to take responsibility for themselves. I do find it sad that Amy still seems to cling to resentments against Matt that she's had long before Caryn came along.  I don't see the point in that. 

As to the bold, what's the point of Matt's death grip on his resentments about Amy?

• Love 2

My point was that I feel no need to dwell on Amy's lack of discipline of the children, encouraging them to diss their father or how she never insisted the kids take responsibility for themselves, because, it's water under the bridge. The kids are all now adults. They can choose their own actions and at some point, it's just not helpful to blame people.  With the resentment that Amy holds against Matt and has held against him from the early days of the show, it is still going on. So, that's why it's difficult to avoid. I love it when she's cordial and positive.  And, if you have an actual beef with someone, tell them. That's fair.   It's just that with Amy it seems that Matt would never be a non-sore spot for her. No matter what. If she's playing it for the camera, she does a great job, because she really does seem to detest him.  And, I'm not sure what purpose it serves.  Maybe, she thinks that her being that way is punishment.  Not sure....but, it seems to hurt only her. And, could turn Chris off if she can't let it go. That's just my take on it. 

• Love 3

But Matt seems to have an equal death grip of resentment towards Amy. He's spent the entire season point blank whining he was unfairly treated in the divorce, it was unfair that he didn't get what he wanted and he resents having to wait on Amy making a decision but he doesn't seem to be "letting it go" - he's insisting on staying in the doublewide in order to stay right in Amy's face, stating his resentment at how unfair the divorce was. Matt's also the one who went moaning to the cameras to let the public know how although he chose to leave the marriage, the entire time he was presenting the family as close knit and loving, he personally always felt unwelcome and resented how he was treated. 

The resentment is clearly on both sides but only Amy is accountable. Why is Matt to be praised for his bitter resentment over how the divorced turned out? Because I don't think he's been faking the constant stream of "Its unfair" and "I want to change this".

Shouldn't Matt understand his resentment serves no purpose? As Amy should? Shouldn't Matt understand he's only hurting himself? As of late, Matt's been a bitter pill of resentment over the house and his constant declarations that he's been unfairly treated. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Rap541 said:

But Matt seems to have an equal death grip of resentment towards Amy. He's spent the entire season point blank whining he was unfairly treated in the divorce, it was unfair that he didn't get what he wanted and he resents having to wait on Amy making a decision but he doesn't seem to be "letting it go" - he's insisting on staying in the doublewide in order to stay right in Amy's face, stating his resentment at how unfair the divorce was. Matt's also the one who went moaning to the cameras to let the public know how although he chose to leave the marriage, the entire time he was presenting the family as close knit and loving, he personally always felt unwelcome and resented how he was treated. 

The resentment is clearly on both sides but only Amy is accountable. Why is Matt to be praised for his bitter resentment over how the divorced turned out? Because I don't think he's been faking the constant stream of "Its unfair" and "I want to change this".

Shouldn't Matt understand his resentment serves no purpose? As Amy should? Shouldn't Matt understand he's only hurting himself? As of late, Matt's been a bitter pill of resentment over the house and his constant declarations that he's been unfairly treated. 

RAP541, I'm starting to think you're one of Amy's friends. President of Amy Roloff Fan Club? Amy's baking partner? I'm joking, but you really do campaign hard for Amy. 

• Love 2

Trust me I am not. I think she's kind of a bitch but I also think a lot of her behavior stems from Matt's behavior towards her. 

I'm asking for fairness. I actually agree Amy has been resentful. I would be resentful as well if I got the house in the divorce and my ex was publically bitching to his fans that he was treated unfairly by me in the divorce and his life was a hell because I won't make a decision that he wants. 

Why is Matt off the hook for spewing his anger and resentment but Amy needs to shush and smile? 

I freely acknowledge Amy's flaws. I think they are both full of resentment. Now why is Amy wrong to hold those resentments while apparently I should be applauding Matt's bitter resentment, as thats the only acceptable response to a man publically bitching he didn't get what he wanted in a divorce?

• Love 11

I actually like both Amy and Matt. They just should never have been married. Their personalities just don't mesh. Personally though, over the years, I'd watch the show, and I just wanted to yell to Amy, "Will you just shut up?!" She just always has to have the last word. Now that being said, I do like Amy, and I'm happy she found love in Chris. 

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 5:12 PM, Rap541 said:

I have to be fair to Matt. Objectively he's never stooped to the Josh Duggar level of disgusting behavior. I also have to be honest and say I put a lot of Josh's disgusting behavior on how he was raised - when you constantly tell your 15 year old son that you have isolated from society that all outsiders are evil, all sexuality is evil and then lock said fifteen year old into a house with a horde of younger sisters who aren't allowed to do anything but obey - guess what that pile of hormones is going to do?

Worse is knowing that the girls had to continue living with and treating Josh like king of the house and that's all on Ma and Pa Duggar, forcing their daughters to service their eldest boy and sexual molester. If that's the Christian God's judgement then really - I don't want to be Christian if it means my brother gets to rape me and all Jesus does is forgive him and condemn me to be his female slave.

Matt's an ass but his ass behaviors revolve around his rather blatent "Don't treat me like I'm disabled! But I sure won't say no if your pity gets me what I want! I'm dying until I get what I want from you and then I'm smirking at what a dumbass you are to fall for it" attitude.

And for the record, I genuinely don't know why anyone call themselves a "leg humper".

I should have explained myself better (I've been under a tremendous amount of stress lately).  First off, "Leghumper" comes from the Duggar forums, going back to TWOP days, IIRC, but I see it around on other sites and in other forums, so I figured that it had more exposure outside of that forum.  It's just a furiously loyal fan, and I don't know of anyone who calls themselves that.  I wasn't comparing Matt to Josh.  Just trying to draw a comparison (and failing) between Matt's army of fans and the Duggar fans.  How they use religion to be hypocrites, about how Matt's indiscretions are overlooked and become Amy's fault (using the example I gave about how they want to string up molesters but "don't judge" Josh).  Etc.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  Not really Team Matt, but would NEVER compare him to Josh, who is just disgusting.

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 4:29 AM, AnnieBeez said:

She’s lived in Oregon long enough to know it’s “marionberry,” not a loaf named after the former mayor of Washington, D.C. Sheesh, Amy. 

Full disclosure: I laughed so hard when I first came to Oregon from the east coast and saw marionberry ice cream on a sign. 

I blame that on Autocorrect, and she either didn't notice, or corrected it and it reverted (has happened to me).

On ‎7‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 1:02 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

Eh, doesn't look that bad to me. It's not an image I would have shared if it were my product because it doesn't look appealing and people who don't know any better might think it was gross.  But baked/burned on stuff is simply the reality of the commercial baking business. Especially when you are handling fruit filled cakes covered in sugar. It can be a very sticky, messy affair. Notice that the actual cooling rack the pans are resting in appears clean. It's just the baking pans that are messy.  I'm guessing they were clean, too, before they were filled with batter and put through the oven.  

But I do hope that's not rust on the top sheet pan, though. It's hard to tell. It looks like the pan may have been enameled at one point and it's worn away. Either way, I wouldn't be using it. 

It isn't bad at all.  I've chosen to ignore the person who made the dirty oven comment, but anyone who thinks that is dirty has never seen/used a commercial baking oven.  They're in continuous use during the day.  Pans overflow, batter gets baked on, etc.  They get cleaned at the end of the day.  And those pans look well seasoned, and perfectly fine.  I don't think that's rust at all - just baked on batter that someone may have tried to wipe up.  My Aunt was a regional bakery manager for a large grocery chain.  That oven is perfectly fine.  The bread looks good, but I'd have to heat it and put butter on it - especially if it's dry.

Edited by funky-rat
  • Love 4

When Matt whines about the divorce settlement, I say, get over it buddy. That was your decision and you signed it.  Check your papers and deal with it.  If you have issues, call your lawyer.  There are likely things that we don't know that are in play and that happened, but, at the end of the day, it is what it is. Maybe, there is a provision that allows for mutual agreement to handle things otherwise. For example, if you know that I'm interested in buying you out, let me know if you're interested.  But, most of the time Matt seems cordial and cooperative. He probably does have remorse about that settlement, but, sometimes, you just have to settle things and move on. 

I was impressed with that post from Amy upthread about how they ALL should move on!  Man, that's awesome.  I take it she mean herself as well.  So, maybe, they can all benefit from that philosophy. 

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, kicksave said:

So Jeremy and Auj have announced they are quitting the show...that leaves Matt, Amy, Zach and Tori. I think it's time to stick a fork in this show.

The least Jeremy and Auj could have done - following the Duggar aftermath as an example - is he and his brother spin off into their own 30 min show to keep the TLC $$ coming in. Jeremy is 1/4 of a original cast in a show that is already on close to being on life support. Show them as adults learning how to run the farm and Amy/Matt move into a supporting role, like Ma/Pa Duggar.

I can't imagine what else he needs to do that he has to quit the show. Does he have some spin-off gig like some reality stars do while on these shows? Is his photography taking off ? I watch another show where a cast member is all into the "oils" so Auj does have competition if that is going to now be her income.

I'm still wondering what portion of the show is the farm's bottom line. Both of his  parents probably need funds to carry on whatever they want to do in the next chapter of their lives.

Unless maybe he is trying to force both of their hands, to make a decision about the future - figuring quitting the show will make them give him a job on the farm that is more useful/financial supporting. Here's an idea Jer - when I was in the local sandwich shop ,they had a sign that the peppers were from the state farmers . The rolloffs can't grow just one veg  - onion, pepper, cucumbers,etc ? Again -I'm a non-pumpkin lover here.

Edited by sATL
  • Love 1

Jeremy and Audrey and Amy love leaving cryptic messages to each other all over social media!  They must be getting thousands of comments asking why they are leaving!  Amy could have very easily just called them on the phone privately and told them the same dam thing...but no....let the world know she is proud of Jeremy and his decisions!  Personally I would have kicked his ass to the curb..he wasn't raised to be a lazy ass hipster!

• Love 1

So I was kind of caught off guard that Jeremy and Audrey are leaving the show.  And Audrey thinks her social media is so strong she can carry the family on her fame.  Really girlfriend???

Personally I think all the negative feedback and those that don't like Audrey and Jeremy got to her.  She's had enough.  But Audrey carrying her own show...nope I don't think so!

I'm kind of the opinion that Amy is happy to see Audrey leave.  Scenes with the two of them have been kind of difficult especially with the rumors they don't like each other.

For me I can't wait to see if Matt pulls this one out of the bag.  He's quite the marketer.   I don't think he'll let LPBW go without a fight unless..he's done too.  Amy will do nothing to save the show.  Not her thing.  She'll wish the young couple well to make herself look good then sit back and let Matt save the show.  Then...bitch, bitch, bitch.  Sigh...

Time will tell and we'll see. 

• Love 2

Personally I think all the negative feedback and those that don't like Audrey and Jeremy got to her.  She's had enough.  But Audrey carrying her own show...nope I don't think so!

Meh. I think Auj and Jer just aren't very good at presenting themselves. I posted a screen capture over in their thread where someone asked a rude question - to the effect of "why do you think you are marriage experts? You've hardly been married."

As they always do, Jeremy and Auj responded rudely and aggressively. Which is telling. This particular criticism isn't going to go away, so instead of actually telling people who raise this that they are ignorant and 100% wrong, why not come up with a reasonable, polite response? It would make them look mature and professional (and at 28 and 27, they are getting too damn old to use the kid excuse) Instead they respond hot and rude, making the criticism look valid and coming off like rude pricks. This was an opportunity to show their maturity and instead they proved the criticizer's point - that they aren't mature enough to be giving advise to others.

She'll wish the young couple well to make herself look good then sit back and let Matt save the show.  Then...bitch, bitch, bitch.  Sigh...

Since this actually hasn't happened yet, how about a moratorium on complaining about the things Amy hasn't actually done yet?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Rap541 said:

Since this actually hasn't happened yet, how about a moratorium on complaining about the things Amy hasn't actually done yet?

I vote that we store the complaints about things Amy hasn't even done yet in the circular file along with all the complaints about the things she never did at all, like throw raging shit fits that left everyone terrified, unfairly blaming her long list of personal and professional failures on poor Matt,  and publicly complaining about Matt cheating on her with Caryn.  

• Love 17
(edited)
7 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I vote that we store the complaints about things Amy hasn't even done yet in the circular file along with all the complaints about the things she never did at all, like throw raging shit fits that left everyone terrified, unfairly blaming her long list of personal and professional failures on poor Matt,  and publicly complaining about Matt cheating on her with Caryn.  

I vote also that we suspend  the entire Amy vs Matt: who is the most villainous villain discussion for a while.  Because I really really need to learn how to use the ignore feature here. Or I’m  going to have to quit following this thread.   Amy is a human being who can get frustrated and lose her temper- as all of us do.  But no one in that family acts as if it scares them. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 13
12 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I vote also that we suspend  the entire Amy vs Matt: who is the most villainous villain discussion for a while.  Because I really really need to learn how to use the ignore feature here. Or I  going to have to quit following this thread.   Amy is a human being who can get frustrated and lose her temper- as all of us do.  But no one in that family acts as if it scares them. 

The "ignore" feature is easy, and makes things more pleasant.  The only way you'll see the posts is if someone quotes them.  

• Love 3

I think a lot of folks here have gotten away with saying mean, hateful, undocumented things about Matt.  Now that many are saying 'wait a minute' what about Amy there's to be a moratorium. 

I think it would be interesting to just discuss the family members in the show and their performances because we've pretty much drawn the line in the sand on who's on whose side!  I'm team Matt as many of you are team Amy.  I don't really think any of us will change the others minds.  It is what it is.

• Love 1

Sooo ooookay, I've been watching the first season all over again, while I do daily chores around the house. And MAN, has it been enlightening. And admittedly, kind of sad to watch things slowly break down (and I'm still just in the first season). It's amazing how much I had forgotten about the early days.

Amy was so much softer in the beginning. Matt was his usual demanding, isolating self. But, you could tell she loved him and really was trying to keep things together for her family. 

Some things I've found particularly interesting knowing what we know now are:

1. When Jer was being an ass around the first day of school (not picking out supplies, losing backpack), Amy was rightfully livid and said he thinks he can just flim-flam his way through life. Ohhhh, how right she was!

2. When the family was very awkwardly fighting in front of their friend Mike about Matt making "10 times" the amount Amy did with her 2 jobs. I was so proud of 15 year-old Zach for coming to her defense and yelling at Matt that she shouldn't have to work those jobs so that he can play around with DAS. He was spending like mad even then, and she was constantly stressed over finances. BUT...I hope that Zach remembers that one day, if he and Tori are ever in dire straits financially, since he doesn't have a typical 9-5 either.

3. I'm also wondering if history is going to repeat itself and one day Auj will be the one upset with Jeremy for having his head in the clouds and not bringing in a steady income. Since we've heard a million times, Jer is a "dreamer" like Matt. Right now things are still new and exciting and some cash is still in the bank, but give it a decade.

• Love 7
30 minutes ago, sATL said:

Amy had 2 jobs ? Concurrenly, Outside the home?

DAS stands for?

She was a preschool teacher and did side work for the local soccer association, I believe. I don’t have time to recheck right now, but yes, 2 jobs. Plus, she coached Jacob’s soccer team. Matt didn’t even bother to make it to most of the kids activities. Even one of the moms of the soccer kids pointed this out. ?

DAS is direct access solutions. His now, correct me if I’m wrong, defunct company that sold LP accessibility products to hotels. 

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Shmoopaloop said:

She was a preschool teacher and did side work for the local soccer association, I believe. I don’t have time to recheck right now, but yes, 2 jobs. Plus, she coached Jacob’s soccer team. Matt didn’t even bother to make it to most of the kids activities. Even one of the moms of the soccer kids pointed this out. ?

DAS is direct access solutions. His now, correct me if I’m wrong, defunct company that sold LP accessibility products to hotels. 

She also ran her foundation and did out of town speaking engagements...she is no slacker unlike her twins.

• Love 6

Technically not defunct. Remember, last season Matt resurrected it to have a photo shoot where Zach was theoretically working for him.

I actually always liked the stool and frankly think it's a shame Matt was so focused on it being a dwarf product and only selling it as part of a dwarf access kit. A lot of elderly people have issues with stepping so a lower step up and a guardrail would be a great tool for someone older. Or someone with knee problems etc. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Rap541 said:

I actually always liked the stool and frankly think it's a shame Matt was so focused on it being a dwarf product and only selling it as part of a dwarf access kit. A lot of elderly people have issues with stepping so a lower step up and a guardrail would be a great tool for someone older. Or someone with knee problems etc. 

I just recently bought a portable 4" high step because there are lots of times I need just that much boost to get in a door, truck, etc. I am both a senior citizen and have bad knees. And I have problems bending over to pick up my portable step. That stool with post would be great to have.

• Love 4

Agreed, Tidbit. I'd love one for my mom, and with my knees getting older, I could see wanting one for myself. But you can't buy one without buying the whole dwarf kit and frankly at 504.00 the dwarf kit is a wee bit overpriced. 

• Love 1

Zoomama, if you hover your mouse over the name of the poster. A box will pop up and a choice in the box is ignore user. You click it, they are ignored and you wont see their posts anymore

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Rap541 said:

Zoomama, if you hover your mouse over the name of the poster. A box will pop up and a choice in the box is ignore user. You click it, they are ignored and you wont see their posts anymore

Do you know how to do it on your phone?