Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

So... I am puzzled by Zach's being "totally stressed" about planning a small surprise party when he really doesn't work (come on, coaching soccer isn't a job-job) and Amy's dire proclamation that "if Tory finds out about the party, all of Zach's hard work is for nothing." Just more of the faux/manufactured drama that is this show.  And of course Zach should accompany his dad to CA for surgery. Who was filming the "personal footage" of Matt when Zach was standing next to the bed?

1 hour ago, KateHearts said:

So... I am puzzled by Zach's being "totally stressed" about planning a small surprise party when he really doesn't work (come on, coaching soccer isn't a job-job) and Amy's dire proclamation that "if Tory finds out about the party, all of Zach's hard work is for nothing." Just more of the faux/manufactured drama that is this show.  And of course Zach should accompany his dad to CA for surgery. Who was filming the "personal footage" of Matt when Zach was standing next to the bed?

i don't get the feeling that Zach is really social. So planning a party for the first time might be stressful.

Matt had a shifting party of friends spending time with him in LA maybe one of them took the video.

• Love 2
(edited)
5 hours ago, KateHearts said:

I just don't get how Amy is all about "making the cake," as if she's a talented baker/decorator; then she puts out something that looks like a box mix which was made by a 10-year old.

I was so surprised to see Tori's birthday cake.  When Amy offered to make the it "because (she has) all these big pans" I thought we were in for something special.  I guess all her "big pans" were dirty or on loan to someone, I don't know. Because when they showed the cake it was nothing but a droopy little 8" double layer mess with sprinkles slopped around the sagging top edge. It did look like a kid might have made it.  

But I doubt it was from a box, though.  Boxed mix cakes usually look a lot better than that! 

Edited by Celia Rubenstein
  • Love 3
On 7/20/2016 at 1:01 AM, MegD said:

Matt - "You guys grewed up on me." Please stop bastardizing the English language.

I'm pretty sure he was intentionally saying that.  It's something I'd say in a silly way to my kids.

• Love 3
On 7/27/2016 at 10:23 AM, Organized8 said:

Ug....that vocal fry.   I had to mute the TV it was so bad.   Stop it, girls.   Stop it.  It's not sexy and it is ruining your vocal chords.  Stop.

I don't think there's any hazard to the vocal chords.  It's just annoying as all hell and the only physical risk I could see is if someone punches them in the throat out of sheer annoyance.  Molly is especially grating.

• Love 4

I'll admit my bias in that I always thought he was a selfish little prick but imo? He was always like this. He's been the family golden child since he was born and he's never been required to do anything other than please himself and that's why as an adult, his behavior looks so self centered. It is.

• Love 5

I cannot believe I heard Jeremy say more than once that 'he'll come back to the farm a few times while dad is recovering and check on thinks.'  UMMM  How about that little jerk come to the Farm TO STAY AND WORK while his dad recovers.    He really thinks one day this farm is going to be gifted to him and all the little people (no pun intended) will do all the work.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, winnter said:

I cannot believe I heard Jeremy say more than once that 'he'll come back to the farm a few times while dad is recovering and check on thinks.'  UMMM  How about that little jerk come to the Farm TO STAY AND WORK while his dad recovers.    He really thinks one day this farm is going to be gifted to him and all the little people (no pun intended) will do all the work.

That's exactly what Golden Jer thinks. Look at the way he talked about Mike , referring to him as an (n-word) there to work. Jer seems to think his dad does none of the work because he's the boss rather than because he cannot physically do it.

2 hours ago, winnter said:

• Love 2

Jeremy is in for a rude awakening. Sometimes I forget he's the same age as me because he's just so immature about how life works. Most our age have had such different experiences, going to college, not going to college and joining the work field, starting families, etc. Seeing him on screen it's like he never escaped that teenage phase that most (but not all) of us go through where we expect the world handed to us on a silver platter, and then life after high school slaps us in the face. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, fuzzylollipop said:

Jeremy is in for a rude awakening. Sometimes I forget he's the same age as me because he's just so immature about how life works. Most our age have had such different experiences, going to college, not going to college and joining the work field, starting families, etc. Seeing him on screen it's like he never escaped that teenage phase that most (but not all) of us go through where we expect the world handed to us on a silver platter, and then life after high school slaps us in the face. 

Who wants real jobs, apparently not these two:

http://www.tlc.com/tlcme/welcome-jeremy-and-audrey-to-the-tlcme-family/

• Love 1

I would both hate and love it. I'd hate it because these two idiots don't deserve any more attention but I would love it because watching Auj drag Jeremy to and fro, while he monotones how happy he is with that blank expression..... I mean what can these two DO? They aren't willing to be religious enough to attract the Duggar crowd and they aren't in any way physically interesting.....

• Love 5

Oh don't get me wrong, I'll probably hate watch that show until it sinks. And it'll sink very early on because ZoloftBlob is 100% correct. They lack the freak show status of the Duggars. Look at Oddj throwing back drink after drink in every episode, that'll lose the uber religious crowd in a heartbeat.

Speaking of monotone Jeremy, I glimpsed at their instagram pages and couldn't help but notice that pretty much every other post is about how in luuuv they are with each other. From my experience, pretty much every couple I've met who is constantly reminding others how in love they are, never really are. It's usually the people who are in love with the idea of love. My best friend and his ex were exactly like this, every single instagram post was about how happy they were and "wifey" this and "hubby" that. Then, one day, completely out of nowhere, they broke up after 5 years. These people never work out, mark my words, Jerk and Oddj will not "beat 50%." The end might not come for another 20 years, but it will come. 

• Love 4

I think TCL already scrapped that barrel - witness the ads for their new show which has strangers kissing each other. The theme music alone (in the commercial) makes me cringe.

I loved seeing the kids when they were much younger. They were all so cute & Zach had such huge blue eyes.

Tonight's show didn't need to be 2 hours though. I gave up after 45 minutes and they were going over the weddings and the divorce. Don't need to see any of that again!

Edited by kat165
  • Love 1

Reality shows are the kiss of death for marriage.  Auj and Jer may avoid the curse because they are only peripheral characters on the current show .... but if they get their own show?  They'll last one season and split within six months of being cancelled. 

I actually kind of hope it happens because I am pretty sure Auj would serve up a nice tell-all when it's all over.  It will be self-serving, of course, but I think she probably knows a lot of personal info about the family & Matt and Amy's divorce that would make for an interesting read.  

Yes, I am selfish enough to wish for something like that.  I will show myself out now. 

• Love 3

I held out for twenty minutes and gave up when Jer and Auj revealed how they were blogging! As their special announcement! Lil hint kids - no one cares about your announcements! If you're not prego, you're two vapid hipsters who do nothing and have nothing to offer. I actually feel a little bad since I recap the show on a different site and I just couldn't sit through two hours of a clip show where the Roloffs lie and lie when It finishes at 11pm here and I need to be up at 4:30 to be presentable at work at 6am.

• Love 5

Can't believe Jeremy missed his sister's graduation.  She is the first in their family to actually graduate college.  Did Molly's parents pay her school debt?  If yes, then I give them a huge kudo!  What a lovely gift and yes worth crying over.  I fell asleep just at that time and now have to watch the 4 am showing to see if Jeremy and his wife heads explode.  Zach would be fine with it.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, jumper sage said:

Did Molly's parents pay her school debt?  If yes, then I give them a huge kudo!  What a lovely gift and yes worth crying over.

They paid off her car so she could start her career life debt-free. I take from that Molly had scholarships, perhaps worked part-time, and the parents helped pay for her college so she wouldn't have student loans to pay back.

• Love 1

Ha my tv recorded was set to record last nights episode but instead recorded Dead of Summer. My tv even knows this show has nothing to offer anymore. On a side note looks like Oddj is coming out with winter gear of her awesomely designed clothes. Her hat looks like a rip off of a Poler stuff hat she has to the t except it says auj poj in place of poler stuff.  Such an original thinker that one.  

• Love 5

I just watched the epi where Sully supposedly scratched the wooden door in the garage at JerOdd's house. Like a poster upthread, I call producer manipulation. The door is right in the kitchen where Odd and Tory were making breakfast. There is no way they would not hear the other side of a  wooden door being scratched, not to mention Sully would most likely have either been whining or barking at the same time. After all he would hear them talking and wonder why he wasn't with Tory. Add in that JerOdd was way too understanding for a couple who are renting their house and I say it was a way to add drama to the Sully visit.

I actually didn't mind last night's 2 hour special which surprised me. I haven't watched to show since it started, so I found the whole journey from Matt and Amy's meeting to the present with the kids grown, interesting. I do think Matt was right when he said that if it wasn't for the show he and Amy would likely have been divorced sooner.

I remember several years ago when Zack seemed like a very lost soul, awkward and living in the shadow of the Golden Boy. It is so nice to see how far he has come. and the great relationship he has with Tory. While JerrOdd continually drones on about how hard marriage is, I loved that Zack said that bascially it is pretty easy. I know he and Tory are newlyweds (as opposed to JerrOdd's two years of marriage) but if you are with the right person while you may go through may situations that test your relationship,  those tests just make you stronger. I did LOL at Jerr stating that he and Odd started their 50 Percent business to help the couples in their town. What did the poor couples of Bend do before JerrOdd arrived to minister to them?

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, Willowsmom said:

Jacob has been very clear on social media that he is through with being filmed. Even at Molly's graduation he was out of camera range.

I know. This is why he's my favorite Roloff.

Matt's revisionist history makes me nuts. Matt, we all know you got fired (remember your lawsuit). You didn't just decide to run for president of the Little Person organization. You may have done that as well, but you got fired.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, kimaken said:

They paid off her car so she could start her career life debt-free. I take from that Molly had scholarships, perhaps worked part-time, and the parents helped pay for her college so she wouldn't have student loans to pay back.

Still, very nice and it was nice to see her so appreciative of the gifts.  She really is a nice girl.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

More than likely it does translate into another season.

TLC has had so much trouble with shows that they are reviving Toddlers and Tiaras.

They are filming new episodes for season 12. TLC is clearly desperate. In Jerks insta stories he said they (him and Oddj) house hunting so lookout for that snooze fest of an episode.

Toddlers and Tiaras?  I refuse to watch.  Only saw 2-3 minutes once a few years ago and it was painful.

Finished the 2 hour episode last night.  I did enjoy most of it as I never really watched this series.  Enjoyed seeing the kids while they were younger but I really do not like Jeremy and his 50% wife.

• Love 1
On 7/26/2016 at 7:59 PM, Calibabydolly said:

Wow, I sure was impressed that Zack pushed the issue and went with his dad to his surgery! That on top of Tory making a platter of goodies for Matt to eat on the way to the graduation in the van.[funny observation; Zack says he is the pilot and Tory is his first mate, then he says he's the Capt. of this ship later, lol] Zach may not be the sharpest tool in the shed but he sure knows how to be a good son. I am sure Tory is a big part of it, but "Mr. man-bun twin" may need to take a few lessons here. This is NOT how you inherit the farm Mr. too busy to be bothered to attend Molly's graduation because you had a prior speaking engagement for your attention hog of a wife! Zach does probably feel for Matt because he is also a little person and the only other little person in the family is now an ex wife. It did make me tear up a bit when they showed all the proud moments with Molly. Especially his sending her off to college and then him choking up again at the party. I wonder why her boyfriend was not on camera at the party? Didn't Matt even mention him by name once? I have to assume Molly will not be on the show much at all if she works in Washington. Possibly this is her plan and we will never hear about her boyfriend.

On 7/27/2016 at 8:26 AM, Ina123 said:

Vocal fry?

Here's the Wikipedia entry: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vocal_fry_register

A 2014 national study of American adults found that speech with vocal fry was perceived more negatively than a voice without vocal fry, particularly in a labor market context.  In young adult women, it was perceived as sounding less trustworthy, less competent, less attractive and less hirable. This negative evaluation was stronger when the evaluator was also a woman.

Seems like another way women can be held to contradictory values ("Don't baby-talk but don't vocal fry, either).  Systemic sexism to blame, again.

On 7/30/2016 at 0:29 PM, Jellybeans said:

The more I watch this family, the more I miss the Little Couple. 

It may be coming back, but it will be different -- if the FBI determines that LMNO broke the law, it looks like Discovery might be able to take over.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Absolom said:

It's using a low, creaky, gravely voice instead of normal speech.  It's kind of like making words instead of a grrrrr growling sound.

Thanks... I will have to ask someone to vocal fry me lmao!!!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, MarysWetBar said:

Kourtney Kardashian is a perfect example of vocal fry,  Jellybeans! I think you watch that show too.

I have never watched the Kardashians.  I find it enough to read about them LOL!  Thanks!

On 7/30/2016 at 0:12 PM, KateHearts said:

I just don't get how Amy is all about "making the cake," as if she's a talented baker/decorator; then she puts out something that looks like a box mix which was made by a 10-year old.

I think in past seasons where her cooking was featured she said she wasn't that good at baking, much better at cooking - but maybe she was just really excited to try and make a cake.  There was that other cake fail - was it Tori and Zach's engagement party? 

On 8/3/2016 at 10:33 AM, winnter said:

I find Auj's makeup very disturbing...it does the opposite of what make-up is supposed to do, which is to make you look prettier.

It's wayyyyyyy too harsh and she really needs to lay off the eyebrow pencil.  She is so pretty when she has more natural makeup on.

On 8/3/2016 at 0:27 PM, Willowsmom said:

Jacob has been very clear on social media that he is through with being filmed. Even at Molly's graduation he was out of camera range.

I was thinking about this the other night while watching the behind the scenes episode.  It's interesting to me that he's the one that came to hate the cameras and all the attention.  As the youngest I would have thought he would have grown up to think of it as being more normal.  The other 3 were probably more in their 'weird' ages where they would hate to be displayed on tv.  

Jacob has probably also done a lot of stuff he otherwise wouldn't be able to do if they didn't have the tv show so I hope he's a tiny bit appreciative.  

On 8/3/2016 at 0:43 PM, UsernameFatigue said:

I just watched the epi where Sully supposedly scratched the wooden door in the garage at JerOdd's house. Like a poster upthread, I call producer manipulation. The door is right in the kitchen where Odd and Tory were making breakfast. There is no way they would not hear the other side of a  wooden door being scratched, not to mention Sully would most likely have either been whining or barking at the same time. After all he would hear them talking and wonder why he wasn't with Tory. Add in that JerOdd was way too understanding for a couple who are renting their house and I say it was a way to add drama to the Sully visit.

It's possible they were doing something and didn't want to let him in - maybe thought he would quit awhile.  It's real easy to let a dog go scratching at a door and not realizing what they're doing. 

I had a friend years ago and they were moving.  They put their dog in the bathroom so they could load stuff easier without having to worry about him.  They could tell he wasn't super happy in the bathroom but when they let him out they saw that he had torn up so much of the bathroom. the door was all scratched... the base boards were torn off the wall.... they had no idea he was doing THAT!

On 8/7/2016 at 11:10 AM, Jellybeans said:

I am deaf but I am able to talk.  I do not know what vocal fry is.  How is it different from normal speech?  I know what baby talk is...but vocal fry???

I am apparently oblivious to it because I can never tell when someone does it lol

• Love 1
47 minutes ago, gunderda said:

Jacob has probably also done a lot of stuff he otherwise wouldn't be able to do if they didn't have the tv show so I hope he's a tiny bit appreciative.  

I don't think financial advantage ever outweighs emotional damage.  Jacob had his childhood sold without his consent so I don't think there is any way of compensating him adequately for that.  In legal terms he can never be made whole because there is no way to restore his childhood.  Trips aren't a really fun thing if making them is your job that you don't want to do. 

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, gunderda said:

I think in past seasons where her cooking was featured she said she wasn't that good at baking, much better at cooking - but maybe she was just really excited to try and make a cake.  There was that other cake fail - was it Tori and Zach's engagement party? 

It's wayyyyyyy too harsh and she really needs to lay off the eyebrow pencil.  She is so pretty when she has more natural makeup on.

I was thinking about this the other night while watching the behind the scenes episode.  It's interesting to me that he's the one that came to hate the cameras and all the attention.  As the youngest I would have thought he would have grown up to think of it as being more normal.  The other 3 were probably more in their 'weird' ages where they would hate to be displayed on tv.  

It's possible they were doing something and didn't want to let him in - maybe thought he would quit awhile.  It's real easy to let a dog go scratching at a door and not realizing what they're doing. 

I had a friend years ago and they were moving.  They put their dog in the bathroom so they could load stuff easier without having to worry about him.  They could tell he wasn't super happy in the bathroom but when they let him out they saw that he had torn up so much of the bathroom. the door was all scratched... the base boards were torn off the wall.... they had no idea he was doing THAT!

I am apparently oblivious to it because I can never tell when someone does it lol

I asked my son to "vocal fry" me and he did not know what I was talking about LOL.  Will keep trying!  Am really curious.  

5 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I don't think financial advantage ever outweighs emotional damage.  Jacob had his childhood sold without his consent so I don't think there is any way of compensating him adequately for that.  In legal terms he can never be made whole because there is no way to restore his childhood.  Trips aren't a really fun thing if making them is your job that you don't want to do. 

I'm not saying it outweighs it but it's probably rather likely that Jacob has a lot of advantages because of it.  He was able to travel and move away at 18.  Otherwise he likely would have been stuck at home with two parents that hated each other.   And I'm willing to bet that living in a hostile environment did more damage to him than a tv show. 

But he's still in the age of moody teenager/young adult so I'm sure he'll grow out of it. 

It's seems to me that most of them realize they're going to be famous and might as well make a nice living from it.  Without the show I think only Molly would have made it in the real world.  She seems to be the only child that is self motivated. 

• Love 1

Jacob has no way to judge what life would have been like without the show and can only comment and react to what did happen. Financial advantages in no way make up for emotional damage suffered at the hands of reality tv. I doubt Matt and Amy would have stayed together as long without the show.

• Love 2

But...but...Jacob has been very vocal on social media about not getting the money he felt he was due. If he's all bent out of shape over being filmed without consent, why does he even gripe about the money. It should be unwanted blood money to him.

100 bucks says that an offer of what he feels he was due and generous payment to come back would change his mind. Except, his brain might be too fried with his weed habit.

Zack's brain is not fried imo.  He reads (I saw some of his book choices- I read them back in the 70's) and is a good photographer. 

I don't think it is really about money but fairness. My parents were very unfair with their time, affection and money.  I see the same with Zack. 

I am not so sure he would return to the show even if offered money.  You would be surprised at how repulsed one feels when someone tries to fake fairness.

• Love 3