Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER

CooperTV

S01.E10: Coup de Grace

Recommended Posts


So Sasha Roiz is the Big Bad. And now he's acting president. Interesting. I suppose he had the lady president drugged in order to incapacitate her. 

 

I really hate Jillian. Doesnt she only have her job because of Liam?  Ungrateful, entitled little heifer.   

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post

They really like to pile it on, don't they?  The evil vice president is now running the country Darius lost his company, Jillian dumped Liam and not only is Grace's daughter not talking to her, she found out that she's behind Tess in Darius' life.

There's a point where it's suspenseful and then there's beyond that where it's just silly.

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

They really like to pile it on, don't they?  The evil vice president is now running the country Darius lost his company, Jillian dumped Liam and not only is Grace's daughter not talking to her, she found out that she's behind Tess in Darius' life.

There's a point where it's suspenseful and then there's beyond that where it's just silly.

And then there's "plot twists" that feels like rejects from Quantico.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

They really like to pile it on, don't they?  The evil vice president is now running the country Darius lost his company, Jillian dumped Liam and not only is Grace's daughter not talking to her, she found out that she's behind Tess in Darius' life.

There's a point where it's suspenseful and then there's beyond that where it's just silly.

Silly and soapy.

Shouldn't Grace's last words have been "God help us" instead of just echoing the swearing in with "so help us God"? I mean, it would have been funny. Sorry, I like a little levity with my doomsday.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

They really like to pile it on, don't they?  The evil vice president is now running the country Darius lost his company, Jillian dumped Liam and not only is Grace's daughter not talking to her, she found out that she's behind Tess in Darius' life.

There's a point where it's suspenseful and then there's beyond that where it's just silly.

This! I was thoroughly enjoying this show very much and then this episode went totally off the rails. I almost expected to have a mustache twirling villain pop up. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

And, after all this has happened, a penultimate scene in some college laboratory:  Science student reviews calculation and exclaims to herself, "Wait, the factor here should be 0.25, not .025.  That means the asteroid is going to completely bypass Earth.  Wow, that was close.  I suppose I should put out a press release."

  • Love 7

Share this post


Link to post

I think I'm out after this episode...

I came for the asteroid - but I'm not sticking around for evil Vice Presidents , stockholder showdowns , office romances and mother-daughter dramas.
The sci-fi elements are basically gone now. 

And where is the countdown clock?! I could see this show dragging out for three seasons only to discover there was never an asteroid to begin with. (I did contemplate a scenario where different groups or countries disputed whether the asteroid projections were correct ... but why deal with those ideas when we can watch the heartbreak of Liam and Julian?) 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Andrew Wiggin said:

I signed up for a Armageddon or Deep Impact  Storyline not for Fringe/Designated Survivor  2.0.......

It seems like the writers just changed directions mid season.

Edited by Free
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

If I had just found out my daughter lied about going to work, then located her car and found her in a nearby car with a guy, the least I would have done is whipped out my cellphone and taken a photo with the license plate showing. I can't remember, does Grace know whatever his name is?

Liam, you're pathetic, asking for relationship advice from a computer. Just walk away from Jillian and be glad you dodged that sourpuss bullet.

Edited by dangwoodchucks
  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

If I had just found out my daughter lied about going to work, then located her car and found her in a nearby car with a guy, the least I would have done is whipped out my cellphone and taken a photo with the license plate showing. I can't remember, does Grace know whatever his name is?

Liam, you're pathetic, asking for relationship advice from a computer. Just walk away from Jillian and be glad you dodged that sourpuss bullet.

She had his profile on her computer a while back so logically she should be able to track them down next time, but you never know with this show.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Oh great, another love triangle or quadrangle or whatever.

I suppose Claire is part of the conspiracy since she was all smiles when the vice president took his oath.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Usually dream sequences make me roll my eyes, but this one... well, it still did, but I also was dying when "Harris" was just casually sitting on the chair, messing with his garrote all "Whelp, guess I need to kill you now, Grace!"  Maybe it's because I'm just so use to Ian Anthony Dale playing characters on the side of right, that it threw me for a loop.  But, really, I'd be down with a show where Ian Anthony Dale is the most charming hitman.

Damn, Renard from Grimm sure came roaring back from having to resign as mayor!  He got him self the vice president spot and how he's actually the president!  Even if he likely poisoned the real president do it, but hey, that's just a classic Renard move right there!  Kind of a waste of Tovah Feldshuh to just show up and act all sickly and forgetful, but Sasha Roiz as the big baddie should hopefully make things slightly more interesting.

In other news, Uncle Tanz makes his grand return and gets Darius booted from his CEO spot, by turning the board against him (because he apparently bough the majority shares or something?)  Whatever, I doubt it will stick.  All of this was basically John Noble using this show to try and audition for a future villain in a James Bond film, and reintroduce Tess/Theresa, who, surprise!  Is actually separated from her husband, which throws Darius for a loop and makes Grace all sad.  Yawn!

I think I might actually prefer Drunk Liam to regular one.  I at least laugh at his "I love you!  And not just because I likely won't get a chance to meet anyone else since we're all going to die!" line.

Zoe went from a nonentity to annoying real fast.  All that was missing was her yelling "I'm an adult, mom!!!!" to Grace.

Calhoun exits (for now), and CBS tries to show how progressive they are by revealing that he's gay and has a husband.  Classic, CBS!  Representing the LGBTQ right when the character gets bounced off screen!

Yeah, they made sure to focus on Claire's smirk and Harris noticing it when President Renard was sworn in, so she's so part of the conspiracy.

Oh, right, the astroid is still coming.  That kind of keeps getting pushed to the side on this show.  This show really is lacking a "send Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, and a bunch of awesome character actors to an astroid and drill in it!" idea, that would at least be entertaining.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

You know, it's possible that some of you may have simply signed up for the wrong show here, if you were wanting and expecting straight up sci fi - all the promotional material I read going into this was pretty clear that it was a political thriller first and foremost, with a sci fi twist, rather than sci fi with a hint of political thriller. It remains pretty much exactly what I was expecting - schlocky summer fun - and I'm enjoying it as such. I'm not blind to its flaws, I just don't mind them the way you guys seem to.

When Dariuz was getting hammered by the Board over the missing billion dollars, which were claimed to have appeared and disappeared so mysteriously, why didn't he straight out say that it was government money specifically earmarked for a government-sponsored initiative too highly classified to be disclosed in this room? It is no secret within the company that he's involved in a top secret government project, with Pentagon officials coming and going at all hours of the day and night - Uncle Nick notwithstanding, the rest of the Board should have been satisfied by that kind of explanation. Actually, now I'm thinking about it, the EM Project in itself wasn't exactly a secret - the reason for it was, but the project itself was right there in the open, within the business, lots of people working on different bits of it, and the expenditure on it should have left a clear audit trail, surely. Although Nicholas was probably right about him haemorrhaging money, given that we've seen him spending big to secure artefacts for the Ark in case of a worst case scenario, and shareholders probably would look unkindly on that if it was company money rather than his own he was spending, which wasn't made clear.

They did a much better job of hiding Jennifer Finnegan's pregnancy in this episode than in recent weeks!

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Llywela said:

You know, it's possible that some of you may have simply signed up for the wrong show here, if you were wanting and expecting straight up sci fi - all the promotional material I read going into this was pretty clear that it was a political thriller first and foremost, with a sci fi twist, rather than sci fi with a hint of political thriller. It remains pretty much exactly what I was expecting - schlocky summer fun - and I'm enjoying it as such. I'm not blind to its flaws, I just don't mind them the way you guys seem to.

Actually the premise of the show was about a sci fi thriller about people preventing an asteroid from impacting the Earth/an apocalypse.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Llywela said:

When Dariuz was getting hammered by the Board over the missing billion dollars, which were claimed to have appeared and disappeared so mysteriously

I wonder if that missing money is from the EM Drive or is it from the secret rocket in the secret base stocked full of priceless art/cultural items. Perhaps Darius can offset some of his loses with the value of the Uranium he stole from the government.

Darius should have told the board of directors that Tanz technology was used to guide the asteroid towards Russia and removing him from his position suggests that Tanz Industries was directly involved in Project Atlas.

I am not really sure if they told the public that a deadly asteroid is headed their way. That information might cause RE/SYST to help Darius try to gain control of the hacked EM Drive .

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Llywela said:

You know, it's possible that some of you may have simply signed up for the wrong show here, if you were wanting and expecting straight up sci fi - all the promotional material I read going into this was pretty clear that it was a political thriller first and foremost, with a sci fi twist, rather than sci fi with a hint of political thriller. It remains pretty much exactly what I was expecting - schlocky summer fun - and I'm enjoying it as such. I'm not blind to its flaws, I just don't mind them the way you guys seem to.

The promotional material I saw was "ASTEROID!!!!" and "Hot Dudes!!!" and "television's Jennifer Finnigan!" None of those tells me "political thriller". This promo here (the only one I saw) is pretty clearly (to me, at least) about a sci-fi show with the classic "ooh, the government is corrupt and wants to hide things!" trope that literally every sci-fi show and film have been utilizing since the dawn of time. I would not call, say, The X-Files a political thriller, you know? Or The Matrix. 

Not to mention, if I wanted to watch a political thriller, there are certainly better (and more fitting) options. I would not choose this show, or any show involving minor planetary objects. Or Designated Survivor, for that matter (which sadly I do watch, and which, just like Salvation, seems to have embraced its boring side instead of giving in to the fun). A political thriller requires good writing, which this show has literally never had. And good acting, which, eh. And interesting characters, which, hell no. Not with the way they change motivations and demeanor every other episode.

Personally, I signed up for the TV version of The Core (a timeless classic and all-around terrible film). And for shirtless Ian Anthony Dale. I only got one of those things. Could have been worse, I suppose. Designated Survivor hasn't even given me shirtless Kiefer.

(I kid, I kid)

Needless to say, I tried to catch up with Salvation. I regret that decision. I also regret the fact I thought ep. 10 was the finale. Oh well. Now I know better.

  • Love 6

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, Princess Lucky said:

Personally, I signed up for the TV version of The Core (a timeless classic and all-around terrible film). And for shirtless Ian Anthony Dale. I only got one of those things.

Barely. Or should I say for about 3 seconds?

 

15 hours ago, Llywela said:

When Dariuz was getting hammered by the Board over the missing billion dollars, which were claimed to have appeared and disappeared so mysteriously, why didn't he straight out say that it was government money specifically earmarked for a government-sponsored initiative too highly classified to be disclosed in this room? It is no secret within the company that he's involved in a top secret government project…

 

5 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Darius should have told the board of directors that Tanz technology was used to guide the asteroid towards Russia and removing him from his position suggests that Tanz Industries was directly involved in Project Atlas

Both of these ^^ points, plus: Isn't Darius Tanz too big of a hi-tech superstar to be jettisoned over a little opaque bookkeeping? I mean, doesn't his brand count for a lot?

  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post

Is that how big companies actually work? Like, could they really just boot the world-famous Darius Tanz and take over everything? More importantly, would the board actually side with some random guy they've never met before?

 I agree with everyone that this show is getting ridiculous. I mean, it always was a little silly but at least it was about an asteroid heading towards Earth, which is absolutely what this show was promoted as being about. I have no interest in political conspiracies or love triangles and go away, Tess! 

I think the problem is that you can only do so much with the asteroid premise, either it hits or it doesn't so, while we're waiting for that to happen, the writers need to fill up the time with other random storylines that nobody really cares about. I can't see this show lasting for more than one season. That being said, I'll watch pretty much anything with Santiago Cabrera in it so I'm in until the bitter end.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/31/2017 at 0:43 PM, Free said:

It seems like the writers just changed directions mid season.

I think they changed direction after the second one. That's when the guy who created the show stopped writing them for a while. I imagine focus groups got involved. 

I stopped thinking about the science about the time they had real time video from a few hundred million miles away, but I am curious how they can predict exactly how. rock made up of stuff they don't know about will break exactly when a relatively small object hits it, and then they can project the impact spots of the very controlled pieces of the rock. And then how they think the Russians and Chinese won't nuke America when they see that our magic gravity tractor split the rock in. way that makes it deadly to the rest of the world. The whole show has had plausibility gaffs, but that might be the biggest yet. 

Edited by whiporee
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, whiporee said:

I think they changed direction after the second one. That's when the guy who created the show stopped writing them for a while. I imagine focus groups got involved. 

I stopped thinking about the science about the time they had real time video from a few hundred million miles away, but I am curious how they can predict exactly how. rock made up of stuff they don't know about will break exactly when a relatively small object hits it, and then they can project the impact spots of the very controlled pieces of the rock. And then how they think the Russians and Chinese won't nuke America when they see that our magic gravity tractor split the rock in. way that makes it deadly to the rest of the world. The whole show has had plausibility gaffs, but that might be the biggest yet. 

Thanks, that makes more sense.

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/2/2017 at 10:42 AM, Rachel RSL said:

Is that how big companies actually work? Like, could they really just boot the world-famous Darius Tanz and take over everything? More importantly, would the board actually side with some random guy they've never met before?

 

Unsurprisingly, that's not how that works, that's not how any of that works.

If it was a public company, then a mere transfer of shares doesn't transfer over board seats. Board seats can only be altered during a board election at which the newly acquired shares can be used to elect your preferred candidate. If it was a private company, then board seats are governed by the bylaws laid out in the articles of incorporation and they could possibly be sold alongside a stake but most bylaws require board approval for any sale above a certain threshold.

As to whether the board would have ever voted in favor, absolutely not. 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/31/2017 at 5:36 PM, lora said:

Oh great, another love triangle or quadrangle or whatever.

I suppose Claire is part of the conspiracy since she was all smiles when the vice president took his oath.

Claire did look rather pleased, but if she's involved I don't know why she'd tell Harris that there was something afoot. Maybe she really doesn't know the VP is involved and was telling him the truth when she said she only was sure about Calhoun. I thought Harris' reaction to Grace telling them that someone tried to kill her was odd. He didn't seem surprised or shocked, and he looked over at Claire. 

In a show where there are so many huge inaccuracies I'm stuck on how unrealistic it was for Tess to not be carrying a purse. Where did she have her car keys? Lol 

Edited by dangwoodchucks
  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post

Why is Zoe mad at Grace again?  I admit I watch this show and then forget almost everything by the time I get around to the next episode. 

While Darius getting bounced from Tanz was done very badly, I guess I got the feeling they were trying to go for Steve Jobs getting ousted from Apple tone, so I shrugged that one off.  But the political parts are so badly done I can't even wrap my head around it.  (Especially after last summer and Brain Dead - which I loved.  You can get away with a lot of science-y technobabble (or brain eating space alien ants) but there's way too much political stuff on cable news to skimp on getting that part right.)

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

I thought Harris' reaction to Grace telling them that someone tried to kill her was odd. He didn't seem surprised or shocked, and he looked over at Claire.

Harris already knew - Grace told him about it in the previous episode and admitted that she half suspected him, because the assassin came from his old unit. Harris was all indignant that she could even think for a moment that he would do such a thing, and began to realise just how serious the rift between them has become. So he wasn't surprised, no, and I'd guess looked at Claire to see what her reaction would be.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, tessaray said:

Why is Zoe mad at Grace again?  I admit I watch this show and then forget almost everything by the time I get around to the next episode. 

Yeah, I guess we're supposed to surmise that Harris's son has brainwashed her into believing that her much loved mom is now just a tool of the evil state, but it sure gave me character development whiplash.

 

3 hours ago, tessaray said:

 But the political parts are so badly done I can't even wrap my head around it.  (Especially after last summer and Brain Dead - which I loved.  You can get away with a lot of science-y technobabble (or brain eating space alien ants) but there's way too much political stuff on cable news to skimp on getting that part right.)

*Sob* Oh how I miss Brain Dead. Life imitating art and all that. *Sigh*
Anyway, if they would just do the politics on this show a tiny bit worse, it could be wonderfully campy. 
And Brain Dead is a perfect example of how to keep a far fetched scifi element simple so the suspension of disbelief doesn't become a chore on par with studying for a physics exam.

  • Love 4

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, tessaray said:

Why is Zoe mad at Grace again?

I don't know if Zoe is mad, but she is definitely suspicious. Zoe was looking for something in Grace's purse and it definitely wasn't $20.00. 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post

Zoe is convinced her mom is lying to her about something which, HELLO, your mom is a high-level government official...maybe she's not allowed to tell you certain information. Zoe is an idiot.

  • Love 8

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Llywela said:

Harris already knew - Grace told him about it in the previous episode and admitted that she half suspected him, because the assassin came from his old unit. Harris was all indignant that she could even think for a moment that he would do such a thing, and began to realise just how serious the rift between them has become. So he wasn't surprised, no, and I'd guess looked at Claire to see what her reaction would be.

Thanks, I totally forgot about all of that while  I was watching this episode. I can picture the writers saying that to themselves each week :) 

  • Love 5

Share this post


Link to post

12 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

In a show where there are so many huge inaccuracies I'm stuck on how unrealistic it was for Tess to not be carrying a purse. Where did she have her car keys? Lol 

And her phone.  No one goes anywhere without a phone these days.

  • Love 2

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, statsgirl said:

And her phone.  No one goes anywhere without a phone these days.

Pockets?

I like the episode title's double entendre, but I can't recall—did Grace have a coup of sorts?

Share this post


Link to post
On 9/3/2017 at 7:26 AM, dangwoodchucks said:

Claire did look rather pleased, but if she's involved I don't know why she'd tell Harris that there was something afoot. Maybe she really doesn't know the VP is involved and was telling him the truth when she said she only was sure about Calhoun.

She probably mentioned Calhoun to protect herself, and to divert Harris's suspicions.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/31/2017 at 12:26 PM, Suzysite said:

I really hate Jillian. Doesnt she only have her job because of Liam?  Ungrateful, entitled little heifer.   

Agreed, she's so insufferable, honestly what does she add to this show? 

The most unrealistic part of this episode was the President doing a live address with a known health condition (though we have no idea what it is).

Calling your boss kiddo seems like an odd career choice. 

Share this post


Link to post
×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size