Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Welcome to the Jungler

Callie is torn with turning over a new leaf or supporting a cause that means a lot to her, while Jude and Taylor begin making gaming videos that earn them unwanted notoriety. Elsewhere, Stef makes major headway in her case.

Yeah sure, this immigration cause means so much to her after knowing about the issue for, like, five minutes. I was really living for Aaron's WTF face at the end of their fight, when Callie irrationally snapped at him when he rightfully questioned what happened with Kyle and Diamond. Ok, you don't regret it, which is great....but you still got in major trouble, almost went to jail, and got kidnapped, for crying out loud. Man, Aaron/Callie are really not compatible for each other. I've really grown on Aaron this season, mostly because Callie's such a bad girlfriend and he's so level-headed about things. He wants to help her stay on the right path but he keeps getting to know what she's really like and it's clear they're heading for a breakup. 

Also, when she almost did blurt out to Ximena and Douche Lord (new name for activist leader) about Aaron being transgender and he immediately shut it down before she could. 

I hated the Jude/Taylor subplot. I like gaming, but I was really bugged by it. Maybe it's because I don't like Jude anymore; this family is full of self absorbed douches. Callie, Mariana, and Jude are all pretty awful, but I guess that's realistic. I think Noah was upset with the whole gaming thing because it was taking away from their time together. Not that I like Noah all that much, but he made some good points. Also, worst channel name ever. 

Yet again, Mariana does win out by making valid points and Callie bringing Ximena in to help. Funny that Callie actually was helpful this time around. Apparently, the only one needing tough love in that house is the kid with the TBI. ("For you, Mariana, I'm going to let you down gently with the roller derby thing....BUT FOR YOU JESUS, YOU GET ARRESTED!")

Speaking of Jesus, he really thought proposing to Emma was a good idea? I'm glad she turned him down and let him know why. I'm glad she also told him that education was important and she didn't support him dropping out. Of course, he thinks now that going back to school is going to help with Emma, but it really does seem like she only wants to date Jesus until the end of high school, and then she wants to break up with him. She was seeming to give him a lot of hints about them breaking up down the line and he didn't seem to understand. All I know is that she's definitely not thinking long term with Jesus, which is smart. 

He still needs some in patient therapy and other forms of help that I'd also like to see on screen. 

Um...so the Brandon/Courtney/Grace story ended in a place I didn't expect....at all. Courtney....and Gabe? I mean, he's in his mid thirties and she's in her mid twenties, so I guess it's not totally odd. But I think back to the Mike/Dani/Brandon scenario, but in reverse. Now Courtney's kissing her ex boyfriend's brother's biological father?

Grace is cute and I hope her and Brandon work out their issues. 

I'm still bored by the Stef storyline. I wish I cared, but I watch too many shows with cops or detectives, so having a detective case storyline is kind of a been there-done that scenario. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Lady Calypso said:

Yeah sure, this immigration cause means so much to her after knowing about the issue for, like, five minutes. I was really living for Aaron's WTF face at the end of their fight, when Callie irrationally snapped at him when he rightfully questioned what happened with Kyle and Diamond. Ok, you don't regret it, which is great....but you still got in major trouble, almost went to jail, and got kidnapped, for crying out loud. Man, Aaron/Callie are really not compatible for each other. I've really grown on Aaron this season, mostly because Callie's such a bad girlfriend and he's so level-headed about things. He wants to help her stay on the right path but he keeps getting to know what she's really like and it's clear they're heading for a breakup. 

Also, when she almost did blurt out to Ximena and Douche Lord (new name for activist leader) about Aaron being transgender and he immediately shut it down before she could. 

I hated the Jude/Taylor subplot. I like gaming, but I was really bugged by it. Maybe it's because I don't like Jude anymore; this family is full of self absorbed douches. Callie, Mariana, and Jude are all pretty awful, but I guess that's realistic. I think Noah was upset with the whole gaming thing because it was taking away from their time together. Not that I like Noah all that much, but he made some good points. Also, worst channel name ever. 

Yet again, Mariana does win out by making valid points and Callie bringing Ximena in to help. Funny that Callie actually was helpful this time around. Apparently, the only one needing tough love in that house is the kid with the TBI. ("For you, Mariana, I'm going to let you down gently with the roller derby thing....BUT FOR YOU JESUS, YOU GET ARRESTED!")

Speaking of Jesus, he really thought proposing to Emma was a good idea? I'm glad she turned him down and let him know why. I'm glad she also told him that education was important and she didn't support him dropping out. Of course, he thinks now that going back to school is going to help with Emma, but it really does seem like she only wants to date Jesus until the end of high school, and then she wants to break up with him. She was seeming to give him a lot of hints about them breaking up down the line and he didn't seem to understand. All I know is that she's definitely not thinking long term with Jesus, which is smart. 

He still needs some in patient therapy and other forms of help that I'd also like to see on screen. 

Um...so the Brandon/Courtney/Grace story ended in a place I didn't expect....at all. Courtney....and Gabe? I mean, he's in his mid thirties and she's in her mid twenties, so I guess it's not totally odd. But I think back to the Mike/Dani/Brandon scenario, but in reverse. Now Courtney's kissing her ex boyfriend's brother's biological father?

Grace is cute and I hope her and Brandon work out their issues. 

I'm still bored by the Stef storyline. I wish I cared, but I watch too many shows with cops or detectives, so having a detective case storyline is kind of a been there-done that scenario. 

Agreed with everything, but especially with the bolded. Jesus has always gotten the brunt of the tough love and yelling.

I'm so sick of no one treating Jesus like a human being. Mariana's "Ever since his TBI, Jesus is confused" thing with Brandon has me fuming. Um, no. He can correctly interpret the meaning of what people say. I can't.

• Love 3

I literally almost knocked myself unconscious smacking my own forehead when Callie was all "Kyle and Diamond are better off because I got involved", because that is the most ridiculous sentence I have ever heard Callie utter. I mean, she's technically correct, but that's not because of her heroics so much as dumb luck. Everything she did could have gotten herself or others hurt or killed, and it apparently still hasn't sunk into her thick skull. CALLIE HAS LEARNED NOTHING! I do have to say, I liked Aaron in this episode, possibly because of how patient he was with Callie lecturing him on how he can "hide" who he is, unlike her new Latina BFF. In general, I think its annoying when people start playing the "this minority group has it worse than this OTHER minority group" game, because its utterly stupid and completely counterproductive. And why were these guys being so judgy towards Kyle anyway? They don't know him. Back off with your passive aggressive resistance. You know, if Callie wants to rage against the machine and get sent to jail for a cause she just started caring about two days ago, that's fine, but she better understand that there will be consequences. At this point, Callie is so quick to jump onto any cause she can find, I'm starting to doubt her commitment to ANY of them.

I wish Jesus had a story that was more about his actual recovery, not how it all relates to his relationship with Emma. Someone help him!

I hope Brandon and Grace stick it out, they're cute, and actually seem like a real couple. Can we focus on them, and not dragging Courtney around anymore. I mean, Courtney and Gabe? Huh? Do the other actors just really like the actress playing Courtney or something, and they want her around? Does she make amazing cupcakes that she brings to the set, so they want her around? Her story is over, just stop trying to find stuff for her here.

On a Very Special The Fosters, Jude learns about internet trolls and homophobic, sexist gamer bros! I love how, for the most part, all of Jude's plots seem to be kind of "normal" teen issues, while the rest of his brothers and sisters have drugs and major injuries and possible jail times and stalkers and all kinds of crap. Not an awful plot I guess, but not exactly riveting.

Is Anchor Beach still in danger of being turned private? Are the stalker guys Evil Dad and Evil Teacher still cackling evilly somewhere? Not that its super exciting either, but at least it was something that could possibly bring everyone together.

• Love 5

If Callie goes to this protest knowing the point is to get arrested......I just can't even find the words to react to that. Does she remember a half a season ago when she was in juvie and miserable? Or how panicked she was at going to actual prison? It doesn't make her a bad person to skip a protest in order to protect herself.

Also, I thought this campus Callie was hanging out at was an art school? Now it is the school Aaron is attending as well? I guess they need some all-purpose college to suddenly exist in town for when Brandon and Callie graduate, but it seems awfully convenient. And speaking of art, why doesn't Callie work on her portfolio by creating an art piece that says how she feels about hate speech. Oh, I guess cause the writers already forgot that plot.

I feel like they randomly turned not only Jude into a gamer, but now Taylor too. Have we ever seen her play before or even mention gaming? 

• Love 5

I was not too surprised with the Gabe + Courtney bit.  With Gabe staying/not staying in the garage, and her popping back up apparently not pregnant, what else but another awkward relationship.  I wonder where they're going with it, but it seems unnecessary with everything else going on.

Jesus' change of heart regarding finishing school played real to me.  Kids will be influenced by their peers that way, and it's also a believable portrayal of one member of a high school pair to think this is their one true love and the other one, not so much.  Where I'd like to see more realism is with Jesus getting actual treatment. 

Ana should not be engaged to Mike. 

• Love 3

As much as he just generally rubs me the wrong way I totally agreed with Aaron and his stance.. Tho if they are gonna protest it should be for the opportunity to speak and debate with the hate speak person not to just shut it down... It was cold but ximena was right Aaron whether he wants to admit it..is living in privilege... Yes he's trans but most folks he meets don't know that... I don't think he has to disclose that anywhere.. Hebhas a choice when to engage that issue.. If some ICE officer sees ximena and decides to check her status there is nothing she can do.. He was respectful tho.. He's a cool levelheaded cat... But he chased after Callie when she had a man.. Who was also respectful and patient so I can never be too much if a fan

• Love 2

I liked Callie and Mariana making up; their relationship was very evident to me at that point. 

I also liked Ximena explaining the roller derby confidence building aspects to Lena. 

Stef wiring up Kyle to try to catch Detective Snow and Patrick Malloy reminded me very much of Callie's detective antics last season - UGH. 

I liked Ana hiding her engagement ring while talking to the twins. Also liked AJ asking Brandon if they could do something for Mike and Ana. 

I thought that Callie showed some growth in telling Ximena that she needed to fly under the radar for awhile. I also liked the DACA storyline. 

Cortney/Gabe - UGH. 

I loved Judicorn as a child; now, not so much. 

More Moms, please.

• Love 3

Can Courtney discipline her fucking child?  Ugh!  And yes your kid's teacher has a right to be "judgey" when you drop him off late to school every damn day.  That said, I ain't mad at her for Gabe.....him in those boxers and that morning hair?  Whoo-chile!  Get it girl. (But she could have at least waited until she moved out of her ex-boyfriends' garage....she stays messy.)

• Love 4

The entire relationships thing with all the kids in the family are  mess. Everyone of the kids seem to hop from one relationship to the next without really giving much time to settle down from the last relationship they were in. Callie jumps from AJ to Aaron at a moments notice. Brandon was with Cortney and then starts sleeping with Grace. Mariana was with Nick and then back with Mat for a day and now is all of the sudden into her neighbor. Jesus even with all of his problems seems to have settled and really wants to be with Emma. And Jude is young so I really don't know what is to come for him. 

The whole thing with Callie possibly making another poor decision if she attends the protest risking arrest will put me over the edge with her. All she has been through and the amount of times the Lena and Stef have told her to start making better decision concerning herself it is starting to get ridiculous. I hope she makes the right one here.

The whole Jude and Connor smoking pot thing is getting kind of old as well.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, Cherry Bomb said:

Jesus even with all of his problems seems to have settled and really wants to be with Emma.

That reminds me, Jesus kind of unintentionally gave Lexi the middle finger by calling Emma his first love, when he was talking with Mariana about people staying with their first loves. 

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

That reminds me, Jesus kind of unintentionally gave Lexi the middle finger by calling Emma his first love, when he was talking with Mariana about people staying with their first loves. 

They all certainly have relationship problems or to say the least confusions. I suppose a lot of that comes with being teenagers as I wasn't much better back when I was 14-16 years old. Also without these issues this show wouldn't be what it is and what this show is for me is great.

8 minutes ago, Cassandre said:

We might be living the worst Stef and Lena season. 

This is now a show written for Noah, David and Maia. 

Well, more like Maia, Cierra, and Teri, with features from David, Noah, and Sherri. Oh, and Danny/Hayden are there too sometimes.

But this definitely is the worst Stef/Lena season. 

• Love 1

Is anyone else noticing Maia's accent a lot more this season? I don't know if it's because they keep showing the promos with her talking or if she's not pushing her Callie voice as much, but I keep hearing it. It was all over the place in the fight with Aaron. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Apparently, the only one needing tough love in that house is the kid with the TBI. ("For you, Mariana, I'm going to let you down gently with the roller derby thing....BUT FOR YOU JESUS, YOU GET ARRESTED!")

16 hours ago, ShortyMac said:

Agreed with everything, but especially with the bolded. Jesus has always gotten the brunt of the tough love and yelling.

I'm so sick of no one treating Jesus like a human being. Mariana's "Ever since his TBI, Jesus is confused" thing with Brandon has me fuming. Um, no. He can correctly interpret the meaning of what people say. I can't.

Well, I disagree with both of you.

I think that your love for the character is blinding you from how dumb Jesus trully is. Or is acting right now. You say that the guy is normal and they don't need to treat him differently because of his TBI but  then you get mad everytime someone yells at him like he is some victim. They are just treating him like they always did. Remember Stef telling him "life is a bitch" in season four ? He was fine back then. You have to wonder why they act like that with him. To me it's because he is acting stupid. Stef and Lena have to say "no". I don't understand how they just count on him to fail the test instead of just telling him no. Jesus is not above them. 

And they did say no to Mariana at first. Mariana has no boundaries but Jesus is acting like a despot. He is like "if you don't let me drop out of school I'm going to... " No one loves threats. I'm sick of Jesus and his behaviour towards everyone and I don't care about his TBI since we have to treat him like a normal human being. I'm glad Stef and Lena are hard on him. The problem really is not his TBI but it's just him being dumb. It's not about Mariana or someone else. 

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Well, more like Maia, Cierra, and Teri, with features from David, Noah, and Sherri. Oh, and Danny/Hayden are there too sometimes.

I don't think so. It's not really the same thing. We can agree that they don't care about Hayden...  (I don't know why) and they don't care about Stef and Lena anymore. When I say that they write for Noah, David and Maia it's because these 3 feels like the center of the show in this season. Not the same for Teri who did have a boring storyline of her own in this episode but there was nothing for Sherri. She existed through Jesus or Mariana. I wonder why she even bothered to come on set. David, Noah and Maia have their storyline followed through in every single episode. Cierra too but you can't say the same for the other ones. Sherri and Teri have that Tess thing but the writers remember it every two episodes (Tess is nothing compared to Grace or Courtney, that's how you have to look what I mean when I say they write the show for D, M and N). Just like they sometimes remember that Hayden/Jude is alive and is part of the family. 

David, Noah and Maia have a veto power....  I don't watch Brandon's scenes.... so I can tell it's a lot to pass. 

I would donate Gabe and Courtney scenes together to Stef and Lena... 

So no, it's not really "more like... "

57 minutes ago, Lsk02 said:

Is anyone else noticing Maia's accent a lot more this season? I don't know if it's because they keep showing the promos with her talking or if she's not pushing her Callie voice as much, but I keep hearing it. It was all over the place in the fight with Aaron. 

I feel like even her acting changed. It doesn't feel real anymore. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Cassandre said:

Well, I disagree with both of you.

I think that your love for the character is blinding you from how dumb Jesus trully is. Or is acting right now. You say that the guy is normal and they don't need to treat him differently because of his TBI but  then you get mad everytime someone yells at him like he is some victim. They are just treating him like they always did. Remember Stef telling him "life is a bitch" in season four ? He was fine back then. You have to wonder why they act like that with him. To me it's because he is acting stupid. Stef and Lena have to say "no". I don't understand how they just count on him to fail the test instead of just telling him no. Jesus is not above them. 

And they did say no to Mariana at first. Mariana has no boundaries but Jesus is acting like a despot. He is like "if you don't let me drop out of school I'm going to... " No one loves threats. I'm sick of Jesus and his behaviour towards everyone and I don't care about his TBI since we have to treat him like a normal human being. I'm glad Stef and Lena are hard on him. The problem really is not his TBI but it's just him being dumb. It's not about Mariana or someone else. 

Well to be honest, all the kids do a lot of stupid things. Sure Mariana, Callie, Brandon, and Jude may be decent to intelligent in school, but they sure have done there share of dumb things. Jesus has as well, but nothing compared to the stupid decisions Callie has made. The whole arrest Jesus comment for dropping out of school was overboard, but there have also been many times where they should have come down harder on Jesus and they didn't. I agree Stef and Lena should be more consistent on how they handle issues. I think some of the problems here are that Stef is an Officer and is usually more the hard ass when it comes to discipline while Lena is more laid back. I know they have both tried over and over again to make decisions together, but it seems like it doesn't occur many times still. They need to find a middle road on discipline and stick with it with all the kids, even Brandon who is 18 now.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Cherry Bomb said:

Well to be honest, all the kids do a lot of stupid things. Sure Mariana, Callie, Brandon, and Jude may be decent to intelligent in school, but they sure have done there share of dumb things. Jesus has as well, but nothing compared to the stupid decisions Callie has made. The whole arrest Jesus comment for dropping out of school was overboard, but there have also been many times where they should have come down harder on Jesus and they didn't. I agree Stef and Lena should be more consistent on how they handle issues. I think some of the problems here are that Stef is an Officer and is usually more the hard ass when it comes to discipline while Lena is more laid back. I know they have both tried over and over again to make decisions together, but it seems like it doesn't occur many times still. They need to find a middle road on discipline and stick with it with all the kids, even Brandon who is 18 now.

It's kind of curious to me how they both have dropped the ball with the kids.  They are inconsistent.  Lena being an educator and a parent should have a better handle on the consistency aspect, but I can't let Stef off the hook.  She seems kind of impulsive in her police work, a bit roguish maybe, and now she's pretty scattered at home, too, and drinking.  Maybe there's the element of just being worn down by 5 teens, with at least a couple of them at all times in some sort of hot water.  It would be kind of nice if they had some extended family closer, but Stef and Lena's parents only drop in for special occasions. 

• Love 2
14 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

It's kind of curious to me how they both have dropped the ball with the kids.  They are inconsistent.  Lena being an educator and a parent should have a better handle on the consistency aspect, but I can't let Stef off the hook.  She seems kind of impulsive in her police work, a bit roguish maybe, and now she's pretty scattered at home, too, and drinking.  Maybe there's the element of just being worn down by 5 teens, with at least a couple of them at all times in some sort of hot water.  It would be kind of nice if they had some extended family closer, but Stef and Lena's parents only drop in for special occasions. 

I agree they are very inconsistent with parenting. This is coming from someone who have never been a parent, but have watched a my parents raise two daughters until there untimely deaths in an auto accident and we certainly weren't angels especially as Teens even though I had my parents only till I was 17. My older sister and I always knew what to expect concerning discipline when we did something wrong. It did not differ from parent to parent or from child to child. Of course the punishment given was according to the severity of what we did, but that is what we expected. It was consistent though as it should have been. Once my parents passed my older sister who was only 3 years older than me somehow took over that responsibility over me to keep us together as we didn't want to go to my Grand Ma's because my Grand Pa was ill. So you would think a 17 year old would become worse, not actually I also grew up which made it easier on my sister. The point of all of this though is there should be some consistency. Lena and Stef have been talking about discussing how to discipline and make decisions together for  several Seasons, but they continue to neglect to do it. They go off and make a decision on there own which always leads to strife between them and then the kids as well. It is a total disaster.

Edited by Cherry Bomb
  • Love 3
On 8/15/2017 at 8:27 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I haven't finished the episode yet, but I totally saw that coming. There is a scene where Brandon goes into the room where Courtney is staying and he sees Gabe outside with a girl. It turned out to be Ana, but I was actually expecting it to be Courtney. I just knew that if Courtney was still around and not knocked up, she was going to be shoe-horned into a plot somewhere. Her sleeping in Gabe's bed was enough to send me in that direction.This family is so incestuous. However, he'd be better for her than Brandon was.

The age really don't bother me much as Gabe doesn't seem like he is very mature at all and I actually think Cortney is only 21 but she has a kid and has to grow up quick even though she lets her son pretty much run wild. Maybe Gabe will be a decent match for her,but I hope they won't be living in Stef and Lena's garage. I like Brandon with Grace, but from what David Lambert said in an interview he said look forward to seeing Brandon in a relationship with someone we have seen before. All I can say it better not be Callie. :)  

• Love 1

I knew from the second Gabe saw her in Bed that they were gonna hook them up . They had a couple scenes together and we know writers never just let characters interact without it turning into something . 

How on earth has only less than 2 years passed since the show started ? It is so ridiculous . 

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Jaclyn88 said:

I knew from the second Gabe saw her in Bed that they were gonna hook them up . They had a couple scenes together and we know writers never just let characters interact without it turning into something . 

How on earth has only less than 2 years passed since the show started ? It is so ridiculous . 

This is the 5th Season so I suppose they are doing each season as a 6 month period of time. It does seem a bit ridiculous with all the shit that has gone on in all of their lives.

58 minutes ago, Chewy101 said:

Especially with Jude having basically grown up over the years. Nothing about this show is realistic.

I still absolutely love the show. Jude has aged several years for sure and the change of actors from Jake T. Austin to Noah Centineo in height was a huge growth spurt of a semester at boarding school. The problem is though if they kept the show a normal run of the mill family then no one would watch it and we wouldn't be here talking about it. So in a sense it has to be out there. I do however think they have hit on some great points with how the Foster Care system is flawed in many ways as well as the justice system. They have also focused on guns in schools, how hard it is to be a single parent, drugs, prostitution, suicide, and many other touchy subjects.

Edited by Cherry Bomb
10 hours ago, Cherry Bomb said:

They have also focused on guns in schools, how hard it is to be a single parent, drugs, prostitution, suicide, and many other touchy subjects

The thing is, they didn't focus. Focus would require a little more in depth. They brushed through, did an event on some topics and didn't really follow up on the consequences. That's why it gets to be too much, if you consider the timeline of the events. It is like every couple of months they have a very serious crisis and seem to be able to get over things that would take more than just a pep talk.

It looks like they are doing the opposite with Jesus' TBI - except that they seem to be making the parenting pretty shitty. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, alexvillage said:

The thing is, they didn't focus. Focus would require a little more in depth. They brushed through, did an event on some topics and didn't really follow up on the consequences. That's why it gets to be too much, if you consider the timeline of the events. It is like every couple of months they have a very serious crisis and seem to be able to get over things that would take more than just a pep talk.

It looks like they are doing the opposite with Jesus' TBI - except that they seem to be making the parenting pretty shitty. 

To be fair every show does just about the same exact thing as The Fosters have done with these serious issues they have taken on. Each show has 45 minutes not including commercials to convey a message to there audience and usually at the end of the show which has happened with many of these serious issue shows a disclaimer comes up with a hotline number for people who need further help to contact if need be. You have to realize this is a television show and NOT reality. It gives the audience 45 minutes 1 day a week and the main focus of the Producers of the show is to keep getting the audience to come back each week. The show must be doing something right because it has been doing just that for 5 seasons now and has a pretty huge audience. 

Edited by Cherry Bomb

I called the Gabe/Cort thing last week. Saw it coming . . . now I want to see it going.  Still worried she is preggers with Brandon's kid. 

I can't with this Jesus storyline. I just can't. I don't know why it's such a big disconnect for me, but it is. 

I'm not loving this season --- it took me a second viewing of this ep to realize that I'm just not as invested as I used to be. I LOVED this show at first. As a lesbian with a wife with several adopted kiddos . . . I loved being represented on television, but now it's just so blergh. I'll keep watching because I've made it this far, but this show just might become background noise while I do other stuff. :/

• Love 2

Okay its starting to get confusing because the show is supposed to still be a few years back but theyre talking about stuff thats going on this year, that annoys me. I hate continuity mistakes. 

I cant imagine any guy who would hang out  with a recent ex and new girlfriend in the same place...wtf

What is it with brandon and alcoholics

i seen the whole courtney gabe thing coming since he walked in on her. At least shes not underage but sheesh.

Everything else is boring. 

Edited by Mirmommy
Because i can
  • Love 2
On 8/15/2017 at 11:44 PM, KaveDweller said:

Also, I thought this campus Callie was hanging out at was an art school? Now it is the school Aaron is attending as well? I guess they need some all-purpose college to suddenly exist in town for when Brandon and Callie graduate, but it seems awfully convenient. And speaking of art, why doesn't Callie work on her portfolio by creating an art piece that says how she feels about hate speech. Oh, I guess cause the writers already forgot that plot.

Right. The writers are either getting sloppy, lazy, or comfortable.  If Callie is there for the art thing i dont think she should be included in college activities that are unrelated to that yet. Its simply unrealistic and a bit of a reach not to mention boring.

I think the producers need to come on here and read the reviews and work on some things.

21 hours ago, Cherry Bomb said:

To be fair every show does just about the same exact thing as The Fosters have done with these serious issues they have taken on. Each show has 45 minutes not including commercials to convey a message to there audience and usually at the end of the show which has happened with many of these serious issue shows a disclaimer comes up with a hotline number for people who need further help to contact if need be. You have to realize this is a television show and NOT reality. It gives the audience 45 minutes 1 day a week and the main focus of the Producers of the show is to keep getting the audience to come back each week. The show must be doing something right because it has been doing just that for 5 seasons now and has a pretty huge audience. 

You are right, almost every show has at least one episode that is like a PSA. You are also right that things like that makes the audience come back and the producers are only concerned about the financial return.

Yes, the show is not reality but it purports to be realistic and that's where it is losing its balancing act. As many have mentioned, it got sloppy in the timeline and continuity, as if the writers are either lazy or lacking better ideas, or being pressured to just throw everything they can and trust that the fans will not care enough to stop watching. They might be right. I just happen to pay more attention to whatever artistic qualities a show has, either writing, directing or acting (I believe that the craft of television is heavier on the writing rather than on the actors). To me, this show was a great idea that had a pretty decent writing in the beginning and got lost in its own confusion. 

It is getting to a point that the suspension of disbelief required to watch pretty much any show on TV these days is close to its limit. But very popular shows, with great audience and even (gasp!) good reviews have been on their 12th, 13th, 14th season, so the public in general doesn't really care as long as their weekly dose of whatever they look for on TV is delivered. And that is not necessarily a bad thing, sometimes as far from reality, or as little reality as possible, can be enjoyable.

It is just not my thing because I am extremely picky and prefer a book than bad (to me) TV.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, alexvillage said:

You are right, almost every show has at least one episode that is like a PSA. You are also right that things like that makes the audience come back and the producers are only concerned about the financial return.

Yes, the show is not reality but it purports to be realistic and that's where it is losing its balancing act. As many have mentioned, it got sloppy in the timeline and continuity, as if the writers are either lazy or lacking better ideas, or being pressured to just throw everything they can and trust that the fans will not care enough to stop watching. They might be right. I just happen to pay more attention to whatever artistic qualities a show has, either writing, directing or acting (I believe that the craft of television is heavier on the writing rather than on the actors). To me, this show was a great idea that had a pretty decent writing in the beginning and got lost in its own confusion. 

It is getting to a point that the suspension of disbelief required to watch pretty much any show on TV these days is close to its limit. But very popular shows, with great audience and even (gasp!) good reviews have been on their 12th, 13th, 14th season, so the public in general doesn't really care as long as their weekly dose of whatever they look for on TV is delivered. And that is not necessarily a bad thing, sometimes as far from reality, or as little reality as possible, can be enjoyable.

It is just not my thing because I am extremely picky and prefer a book than bad (to me) TV.

I certainly agree that the timeline has gotten way out of hand and they need to slow down with the progression of some of these far out story lines that keep popping up left and right. I think it is different with sitcom shows such as The Big Bang Theory or prior to that Friends who have a loose general plot to the background, but the story from week to week changes. Shows such as lets say a very popular new show The Handmaid's Tale although not realistic at all really didn't really have a timeline that was great at all for the first season which was 10 episodes. The one Handmaid came there, was impregnated, and had the baby, and shipped off to another home all in 10 episodes. So many dramas don't stick to a strict timeline or a realistic one. Maybe the writers are getting lazy(I hope not) because the show does have a huge following now and they could be just slacking and saying what the hell they will watch it anyway because they are hooked. I guess I am one of those viewers who are hooked because I do enjoy the characters and can sort of relate a bit because back when I was 17 both of my parents were tragically killed in an auto accident and it was left up to me and my older sister who was 20 at that time to fend off the State to keep us together. They wanted me either to go live with my Grandparents out of State or Aunt & Uncle who I wasn't close to out of State or a Foster home until I was 18 practically right both my parents were killed. Yes. so the State wanted to split me and my sister up pretty much right after that happened. To make a long story short, it didn't happen because my sister pretty much dropped her life and her Senior Year of college to get Full Time job and to do Part Time Online Classes at night so we could be together. It all worked out in the end. So they had me hooked from the beginning I suppose. I do wish they would slow down some of the things like the kids hopping from one relationship to the next and sleeping with everyone that comes into there path. I know this isn't realistic for most, but for me between the ages of 14-16 I certainly did my share of that as well even though I am not proud of it. I am definitely hanging with this show till the end mostly because I do relate in some ways to it and I do realize that most shows dramatize everything just like The Fosters are doing.

• Love 2
On ‎8‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 8:52 PM, IntoTheMystic said:

I called the Gabe/Cort thing last week. Saw it coming . . . now I want to see it going.  Still worried she is preggers with Brandon's kid. 

First she has to sleep with Gabe so then it can be all "WHO"S KID IS IT??" 

• Love 4

I'm going to assume it's an art school within a larger college, and she's essentially a dual enrollment student. Not all that uncommon, although more so for academics than art,and DE does generally require permission of the department if it's not one of the set classes on the list.