Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Mean Right Hook

So things are picking up somewhat.  Maybe I'm just being impatient but omg get to the point already.  You only have eight episodes. Only thing of interest is the way they're using side characters to connect the superheroes and sticks having a past with Alexandra, other than that,still slow just not as much.  I'll give one more episode a chance, after that, if nothing happens, I'll move on.

Also A villain liking classical music? Could they be anymore cliche?

Edited by Oscirus
  • Love 1

NGL seeing Luke beat up Danny was enjoyable.

Also Jessica vs Elektra!

Great seeing Jeri Hogarth again.

I continue to crush on Colleen Wing.

18 minutes ago, Oscirus said:

Not if they personally knew the composers!

From Jessica's investigations it seems Alexandra has lived a long time.

• Love 6

OK, even though they're might least favorites of the foursome, the Luke/Danny fight was the greatest.  I was laughing throughout the entire thing, and credit to both Mike Colter and Finn Jones even, because I thought former really sold the "I can't believe I have to deal with this punk!" look while even the latter had some hilarious "Why isn't this working?!!" reactions.  Of course, it ended with Danny finally busting out the glowly fist and falcon punching Luke across the ally way, but I'm totally giving this one to Luke.

Oh, Matt.  Of course you were going to end up having to fight some goons and break whatever vow you've got in your head.  This is just who you are, man.  You aren't going to let people get harmed if you can help it.  The sooner you accept it, the better.  Did like him and Foggy reuniting a bit.

No surprise, Colleen is pretty much the one leading the Danny storyline along.  He would be hopeless without her.

So, Sigourney Weaver's character is named Alexandra and she apparently is/was close to Stick?  And she's now kidnapped him?  I guess she thinks he has the key to whatever door she needs to get own.  Still wondering what her deal will end up being, but I do love how she's gotten freaking Madam Gao of all people off her game.  I always enjoy it when a new antagonist shows up and they are so out there, that one of the regular villains is rendered speechless.

Seems like the organization has their fingers in everything.  They better not mess up Trish Talk or harm my beloved Trish!

Jessica and her stuff are still my favorite.  Plus, she not only gets some good stuff with Misty, which is an interesting pair, but Hogarth enters into the picture (what do you know, Jeri?!), she crosses paths with Elektra (hope there's a round two) and the episode ends with Matt barging in as her attorney!  This should be fun!  Especially if she tells Matt what happened and he figures out who it was she was fighting...

They seemed to pick up the pace in this one, so I'm cautiously optimistic.  I suspect the main four should be crossing paths soon, since we've already got a little of Luke/Danny and Jessica/Matt in this one.

• Love 4

You know Alexandra is a big deal by how she orders Madam Gao around!

Of course the episode was over as soon as main characters finally start meeting. I guess episode 3 is when this will kick it into high gear?

Ha, yes, watching Luke throw Danny around like a rag doll was fun. And it was hilarious that none of his little (non-chi) punches and kicks affected Luke. Danny's getting his kung-fu on and Luke's like "the hell is this shit?"

Matt's little smile at the end is adorable.

It's kind of a reversal that instead of using excessive force on petty criminals, this time Matt is stopping other people from using excessive force on petty criminals. Huh. I'm not sure I would have felt all that bad for the looters if they got their asses shot up. They were stealing a flat-screen TV? Not even stealing something understandable like food or emergency supplies. And they didn't put the big, heavy TV down when dudes with guns were chasing them? If they died I would have considered them Darwin award winners!

• Love 7

I love seeing different characters interact, even if we STILL don't have our big team up yet, even if it looks like we are getting closer. Matt is Jessica's attorney, and Danny and Luke had the requite "heroes think the other is a villain and they fight" that needs to happen in these team up things. I liked the fight scene, it was fun seeing both Luke and Danny being confused as to who they're fighting. Danny didn't get much going with his usual Che stuff, but Luke himself had a shock when the glowing fist got thrown out. Still, I will call that fight for Luke. I also like seeing the supporting cast being all integrated together, it makes the four shows seem more connected, and gives its huge supporting cast more to do than be supportive for their respective heroes.

Speaking of interaction, it was great to see Foggy and Matt start to get closer to reconciling, even if things are still rather awkward. Foggy still doesn't really approve of Matts DD shenanigans, but he seems to have made some peace with it, and wants to help him find a less violent way to help people. Granted, we all know Matt is going to spend the rest of the show beating the shit out of people, but its the thought that counts.

What is it with super villains loving classical music? Just once, I want to see a diabolical mastermind who is super into Folk Rock.

• Love 10

After the first episode snoozefest, this was better. Good to see the main characters start to meet up with each other. I didn't watch his show, so I've got to ask, does Danny spend most of his time moping? Because that gets old really fast. 

Loved seeing Hogarth's return. And Alexandra and Stick have a history. Or, maybe they have a "history." 

I'm sure Jessica's going to be the perfect client for Matt. She's always receptive to advice. 

Only 8 episodes? That makes the first episode even worse. They can't waste much more time getting the story going. Hopefully the next episode realy kicks things into gear.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Loandbehold said:

After the first episode snoozefest, this was better. Good to see the main characters start to meet up with each other. I didn't watch his show, so I've got to ask, does Danny spend most of his time moping? Because that gets old really fast. 

Yep, he spends most of his time moping.  And yes, it does get old really fast.

• Love 3

Heh, Danny + Luke= win.  And now Jessica and Matt have also met. That's what I want to see. 

SW is great and I think Alexandra's an interesting villain. I'm curious about her intentions and her nature. I'd say she isn't inmortal, but someone who gets old very, very slowly. 

Edited by Helena Dax
  • Love 1

That looting scene struck an unusual note.

Some thieves loot a store and Matt beats up the store owners so that the looters can get away with a flat screen TV? That's a superhero scene I haven't seen before.

• Love 5

So it was inevitable that Matt would go overboard, when he finally got to punch someone again. This time, he managed to control himself and not maim that poor security guard for life, so that's something. And clearly, Foggy is worried that Matt's addiction to being a vigilante will resurface, but it was nice seeing them hang out again.

And I did like the nod to how an earthquake would affect Matt far more strongly than it would another person. His powers would be sending his brain haywire, with all the noise and vibration going on. Charlie Cox did a really good job of portraying how shaken Matt was by it.

What I think will be even nicer, is seeing Matt and Jessica interacting, because it should be a lot of fun. I don't know how that guy who shot himself got mixed up in all of this, but the fact he'd rather kill himself than face Elektra says a lot. She looked badass, by the way. I liked Elodie Yung in Daredevil, even if I thought the Hand storyline was mediocre, and I'm glad she's back. Not thrilled that Stick is back, because it just means more of Scott Glenn playing the gruff, tough, no-BS character that he seems to have played in everything for the past twenty years.

I liked Jeri Hogarth showing up again, though. And I like that she's not evil, or even villainous. She's just a lawyer who is looking after her own interests. After her deadly mistake with Kilgrave in Jessica Jones, we can hope she's learned to be less cavalier in the way she pursues those interests.

Danny and Luke follows the comics, I guess. And I'm more than happy for the two duds to be put together, at least initially. But there will be some pressure from the comic book origins to build this friendship, even if it's initially based on antagonism.

Interesting that Sigourney Weaver is apparently much older than she looks. I haven't a clue who she is supposed to be yet (if she is a comic book inspired character), but she's Sigourney Weaver, so you know it should be good.

• Love 3
On 8/18/2017 at 2:06 AM, VCRTracking said:

NGL seeing Luke beat up Danny was enjoyable.

For me too.  And I liked Iron Fist!  Their facial expressions during the fight were freaking great!

Love Matt as Jessica's lawyer…this should be fun.

• Love 3

I really liked the Matt/Foggy scene at Josie's.  As soon as Foggy mentioned the knuckles, Matt started to throw a fit (by walking out).  But Foggy talked him down, and Matt actually listened.  It warms my heart to see them trying to work together.  I miss Nelson and Murdock.

• Love 3
On 8/18/2017 at 3:44 AM, Oscirus said:

I got the distinct impression that the reason she knew about Brahms doing that one piece in Beethoven's key (just to prove he could), is that Brahms told her so himself.  I suspect that "classical" music was the equivalent of hip-hop in her youth -- rebellious and cutting-edge at the time.  Her being a super-long-lived (but clearly not immortal) being would explain why a BAMF like Madam Gao could be cowed by her.  It could also explain why the resurrection technology that was used on Electra (in Daredevil) and Harold Meachum (in Iron Fist) was not available to her.

Changing subjects -- I got a good laugh out of this episode but for purely personal reasons.  When I was in my late 40's I tested for my 2nd-degree BlackBelt in Taekwon-do.  You have to fight during the test but I am unusually big for a woman (so no other female black-belt was a good match) and I was unusually old to be testing (no one wants to see an "older" student get hurt). So I was assigned to fight a male 4th degree blackbelt who looks a LOT like Luke Cage. He was a former Marine who was big enough and skilled enough to ensure that neither of us got hurt during the demonstration.  You actually land very few blows during a demonstration sparring match but this was my test, so my partner basically "gave" me an opening at one point.  I punched him as hard as I could in the chest.    All I was hoping for was to knock him a step back.  Nothing.  Absolutely nothing.  It was like punching a (padded) brick wall.  I broke down laughing and so did the spectators.  So I can really sympathize with Danny trying to fight Luke Cage.

I'm really glad the connections are being formed.  Luke has met Danny.  Matt has met Jessica (thank you Foggy and Jeri for making that happen.)  Misty has met (and arrested) Jessica.  Jessica already knows Luke (and I wonder what Misty is going to think about that.) Electra has met (well, attacked) both Jessica and Danny (and I wonder what they are going to think when they learn of the relationship between Electra and Matt).  Alexandra knows Stick -- and is holding him captive.  It's a very interesting net that is being woven.

And now I must rant about the sheer stupidity of the "earthquake" being "centered in Hell's Kitchen."  Oh FFS.  I was in NYC during the last earthquake.  I felt the tremor and I saw the building move (I had a view out a 10th story window looking north up Madison Avenue and you could see the edge of the window moving relative to the edge of the street below as the building swayed.)  That earthquake (if memory serves) had its epicenter in VIRGINIA.  The impact of an earthquake isn't going to be "centered" in a particular neighborhood with decidedly less impact 75 blocks north and anyone with an ounce of sense knows that.  So when they depict newspeople in the show saying things like the quake was "centered in Hells Kitchen" it just makes me crazy.  I can accept the bullet-proof guy and the super-strong girl and the blind guy who can "see" better than me and the caucasian dude who is a martial arts master with a supernatural glowing fist.  But those unscientific comments about the earthquake were just maddening.

On 8/18/2017 at 1:38 PM, tennisgurl said:

Just once, I want to see a diabolical mastermind who is super into Folk Rock.

I just got a mental picture of a freaky, death-metal version of "If I Had A Hammer . . . "  Imagine the possibilities.

Edited by WatchrTina
Edited because I originally used the word "scrawny" to describe Finn Jones and that's just ridiculous. He's "well fit" as they say in the UK.
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, WatchrTina said:

I can accept the bullet-proof guy and the super-strong girl and the blind guy who can "see" better than me and the scrawny white dude who is a martial arts master with a supernatural glowing fist.  But those unscientific comments about the earthquake were just maddening.

I'm like this. Suspension of disbelief is a funny thing in that you can often accept wild fantasy but once you start to muck around with actual science I start to get mad. An invulnerable alien? No problem. People talking about 'chi' as though it's an actual thing that exists? Maddening.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, AudienceofOne said:

People talking about 'chi' as though it's an actual thing that exists? Maddening.

Well, I think "chi' does exist though people have differing interpretations. Isn't chi the basis of acupuncture in that it is all about tapping to the body's energy streams and fixing blockages in that flow that cause weakness and/or pain? Physiatrists are MDs who use acupuncture and trigger point massage as their main therapy and I've been treated by more than one of them. They clearly believe in chi.

But focusing your "chi" into your fist so that it glows and becomes unbreakable -- now that is comic book territory.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, WatchrTina said:

Well, I think "chi' does exist though people have differing interpretations.

No, it really doesn't exist. It's just superstition and mysticism. But this is about a TV show so I'm not going to get into people's belief systems. It's not science. Let's just leave it at that.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Well, I think "chi' does exist though people have differing interpretations. Isn't chi the basis of acupuncture in that it is all about tapping to the body's energy streams and fixing blockages in that flow that cause weakness and/or pain? Physiatrists are MDs who use acupuncture and trigger point massage as their main therapy and I've been treated by more than one of them. They clearly believe in chi.

But focusing your "chi" into your fist so that it glows and becomes unbreakable -- now that is comic book territory.

I think it does, too - people can mock, but it's energy. It's like when people say, "You could cut the tension with a knife" when you walk into a room, and just know that there was a dust-up there, even if the people are no longer around. 

It's still funny when they all roll their eyes, though. :) 

• Love 2

Maybe it's because I just finished watching Iron Fist two days before I started this show but I'm not enjoying this one like I thought I would. I'm beyond tired of everyone's angst. The only person not getting on my nerves is Luke. He just got out of prison, got his Claire and he seems good to go. I also feel like two episodes have been wasted setting everything up when it could have been done in one. Here's hoping it gets better from here on out. 

Danny's hair is better. Danny and Luke are a delight and I feel a little chemistry. 

Madam Gao is the MVP in this entire run. Wait til she meets Jessica Jones.

But seriously,  Gao is the Queen Bee of this series. She owns all her scenes when she wants to.

I love Weaver and her soft power approach. She is a tall woman and they are using that. But I also like that she is clearly older. Beautiful, striking, but not young. Just like Gao. That is the face of a well lived life. I hope the script supports her.

• Love 2
On 8/18/2017 at 2:50 AM, Bec said:

Matt's little smile at the end is adorable.

I'm not sure why, but that was the highlight of the episode to me.

I take it the dead individuals are going to be some type of sacrifice for Alexandra's longevity?  That's where I'm heading, there's going to be some type mysticism, a sacrifice(s), or ritual to further her longevity...

Living for the Danny/Luke fight.  Enjoyed that it was Luke's right up until the end...

I can deal with the unscientific earthquake. It was probably caused by some weird mystical thing, so of course it wouldn't be exactly like an earthquake grounded in reality.

Chi is basically magic in stories like this. Everytime they say "chi", just pretend they said "magic". Danny: "I have to harness my magic."

As to whether it exists in real life - well, it's not actually magic in real life, so be skeptical of claims such as it can be used as a cure-all. But it's true that if you breathe deep, you can sing louder. Ancient people called that using your chi. Things like that is just different words for stuff that's true no matter what you call it.

Yeah, some people make wild claims about what chi can do. But at least they're not bleeding people dry and calling it "cleansing the humors". Or punching holes in people's heads to cure mental illness! Could be worse!

• Love 3

Danny and Luke's fight was pretty hilarious, I will agree with that. Luke looked so unimpressed with having to waste his time with this guy, and Danny looked perplexed that he was causing no damage to Luke. It was hilarious how one-sided that fight was until Danny used his glowing fist power. 

I really enjoyed seeing Matt and Foggy talk again. It was nice that Foggy is still concerned about Matt, especially after the earthquake. It's great to see that their friendship had not been severed, even if it is distant. 

As for the earthquake, of course it's unbelievable but not to the point where I'm yelling at my laptop with how stupid it is. It hasn't reached those levels yet. I assume Alexandra had a big part of that. I like the suggestion above that she needs sacrifices in order to keep living (obviously she has a time frame for a reason). Also, why'd she capture Stick? It is clear that Alexandra is much older than she appears to be. I'm curious to find how long she's been living. 

I liked seeing the connections coming together. I got a huge silly grin on my face when Matt walked in to be Jessica's lawyer. I am super excited to see what transposes of that, especially since Elektra was the one to attack Jessica's home. Also, Jeri's role in this episode was solid. It's good to see her looking out for Jessica, though also to protect herself. I also kind of enjoy Foggy working with Jeri. I also like Misty being after Jessica. It brings together the shows better with multiple characters interacting. 

Overall, with Matt/Jessica now meeting, I am very excited to see how things go from here.