Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E09: Custody

• Start Topic

Holy crap, Baz did a great job mind-fucking Smurf with the empty storage unit, but she is not stupid and her vengeance will be medieval.  This is horrible to feel this way about a teenage female, but every time Nikki is onscreen, all I think is "one in the head, please!".

• Love 6

How unreal is Baz situation. The MOTHER of his child, of whom he barely cares for, is no longer missing but DEAD and he non chalant asks his side piece to pick up his daughter from school!?? Id like to know if this show plans introduce a social worker to investigate? 

Lets also touch on the conversation where Baz tells this ditzy slut that he believes his step mom, Smurf may have KILLED this poor childs mother and her response to him with no REAL emotion is to tell him, "clean that b@$ out"? Come on man... I cant even try to.pretend I was okay listening to Baz tell her that he shoulda been with her 10 years ago... HELLO?? Did he JUST not open up to her about a murder? 

TNT writers need to step it up, this story line is unbelieveable. Don't introduce a story line that loses the authenticity of an actual situation. My advice write the kid and the "filler" girlfriend off the show and stick to more heists

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm trying to figure out J's angle. Is he running the long con and playing both ends against the middle or what? Oh Craig, you truly are dumber than a box of rocks. 

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 4

I guess all will be revealed during the boat robbery, but the logistics have me all confused.  They are going to hijack this boat on the back side of Catalina, rob the passengers, and then get away how, exactly?  Catalina is 26 miles from LA, the closest shoreline.  That's a long way for any kind of watercraft.  Plenty of time for the party boat to dock at Avalon and alert the authorities.  Plus, no matter what they think of the people on board, is it really likely that the guests will have that much cash on their persons?  100 people and even $200 per person is only $20,000, plus whatever jewelry they can fence.  That doesn't seem worth such a high risk operation.

• Love 2

I really liked the opening scene of the jet ski's. Had no idea you could flip them like that. 

Loved Baz's empty the warehouse plan.

Deran and Craig really go to Smurf and on top of that has Nikki working it? The gun obsessed teen? I'm hoping her gun obsession is leading to accidentally shooting herself.

• Love 6

Of course you know this means war.

I hope Baz knows what it means to go to war with Smurf.

its nice to see Pope have sexy time with someone just as screwed up as he is.  And yes I do ship those crazy (maybe even literally) kids.  I know they are going to crash and burn but they are all kinds of sad, sweet, and hot together.  I dig it.

Deran and Craig going to Smurf to clean their money was equal parts smart and stupid.  Of course they can't trust her but going to her shows that they are serious about the job and she isn't wrong about Baz.

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, Dowel Jones said:

I guess all will be revealed during the boat robbery, but the logistics have me all confused.  They are going to hijack this boat on the back side of Catalina, rob the passengers, and then get away how, exactly?  Catalina is 26 miles from LA, the closest shoreline.  That's a long way for any kind of watercraft.  Plenty of time for the party boat to dock at Avalon and alert the authorities.  Plus, no matter what they think of the people on board, is it really likely that the guests will have that much cash on their persons?  100 people and even $200 per person is only $20,000, plus whatever jewelry they can fence.  That doesn't seem worth such a high risk operation.

I was under the assumption that they were going for the safe on the boat. 

I think the next episode of the season is likely to involve a disastrous heist...the boat plan is clearly shaky.  The plans seem sketchy, the personnel even more so...interesting Marco thinks selling brown tar heroin superior to thievery...and, if this does work, Craig and Deran are now committed to helping Marco at least one time in the future.  And, I agree with Dowel Jones that it seems unlikely they are going to take in that much. Maybe a bunch of Rolex watches, cash, and good quality jewelry, as well as whatever would be in the boat safe/till.  Not very much, as noted.

Baz seemed like a good guy in Season One, but really he is just a con artist and a thief.  He has virtually abandoned Lena to anyone willing to have her, but he did the same with J...assuming he is actually J's father...and Julia.

I wonder if Baz is setting J up...did he really need help to break into the storage space?  But J went back and saw Baz carrying the satchel (filled with cash) away, so he has a move.  I can't figure out what he can do, though, without choosing a side, which up til now he has been able to avoid.   

Why was Pope at the Orange County building?

Amy has now given him hope of a normal life...

Edited by lazylou
9 hours ago, missbonnie said:

I'm trying to figure out J's angle. Is he running the long con and playing both ends against the middle or what?

This is what I am wondering about too. At the end of S1, it seemed clear that he was going to go after his family and this season I don't get that impression at all. Instead he was mired in Smurf's schemes - yet without seeming like he was playing her - the first few eps of S2and then tossed into this terrible Nicky/Craig kinda triangle that I want to kill with fire. I was hoping to see some more of that vengeful zeal I saw in J's eyes when looking at this family in the S1 finale and on this aspect, I feel really let down by the show. 

I shook my head at Craig going to Smurf to possibly clean the yacht heist proceeds for them. He really is pathetic and way too tied to his mother. At least Deran seems to still want to keep things impersonal with her but Craig is just a moron when it comes to Smurf. And having met his father, I see where Craig gets it from. I remain very curious about Pope/Julia and Deran's fathers.

I guess it was nice to see Baz and J spend some quality father / son time together. :)

• Love 2

I'm surprised the producers let the actors do those fancy jet skiing maneuvers. Or was that just some amazing CGI of their heads on stunt men's bodies?

Craig is going to get them all killed or arrested. His drug-addled brain is making him overconfident as well as lax on the small details that end up giving the cops helpful clues.

Smurf is smart to be training J but what's her end game, to retire and leave him to handle the business? She better be very sure he's not on some 21 Jump Street-type mission. I still think there's something fishy with him.

Ditto coments upthread, is Baz setting J up? J knows those are Smurf's safes, right? And doesn't Smurf have a GPS locator on J's phone? Seems to me she would've known where he was and he wouldn't have had a reason to be there without her permission.

Church lady Amy is a solid mess. No wonder Pope is so attracted to her.

every time Nikki is onscreen, all I think is "one in the head, please!".

"Three in the head, you know they're dead." (Credit to Nurse Betty.) Nicky's head is so thick it would likely take at least three to finish her off.

The MOTHER of his child, of whom he barely cares for, is no longer missing but DEAD and he non chalant asks his side piece to pick up his daughter from school!??

I think on some level Baz knows Lena isn't his kid. He and Pope need to go on the Maury Povich show and get it sorted out.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 2

My favorite part was everyone fighting to be the one to beat the crap out of Craig during the boat heist. Man, I can't wait to see this heist go down, it's a disaster in the making. Isn't next week the season finale? Funny TNT didn't promote it as such. 

How unreal is Baz situation. The MOTHER of his child, of whom he barely cares for, is no longer missing but DEAD and he non chalant asks his side piece to pick up his daughter from school!?? Id like to know if this show plans introduce a social worker to investigate? 

Lets also touch on the conversation where Baz tells this ditzy slut that he believes his step mom, Smurf may have KILLED this poor childs mother and her response to him with no REAL emotion is to tell him, "clean that b@$ out"? Come on man... I cant even try to.pretend I was okay listening to Baz tell her that he shoulda been with her 10 years ago... HELLO?? Did he JUST not open up to her about a murder? 

You make some good points, but it's important to keep these people in perspective. These aren't "normal" people with normal morals and values. Every one of them - Lucy included - has been raised in a vacuum of crime and amorality. Baz is no different - he's really a sociopath when you think about the way he compartmentalized his dual relationships with Catherine and Lucy and the horrendous way he's treating Lena. I don't think he really has "feelings" about anyone. 

I do agree about child welfare services though - somebody call them!

This is what I am wondering about too. At the end of S1, it seemed clear that he was going to go after his family and this season I don't get that impression at all. Instead he was mired in Smurf's schemes - yet without seeming like he was playing her - the first few eps of S2and then tossed into this terrible Nicky/Craig kinda triangle that I want to kill with fire. I was hoping to see some more of that vengeful zeal I saw in J's eyes when looking at this family in the S1 finale and on this aspect, I feel really let down by the show. 

That was not the impression I got from the Season 1 finale. I got the complete opposite impression - it was clear to me J was choosing the Cody family after finding out his teacher was just using him. His speech to that lady cop made it clear he considered himself a Cody and would always choose them. The closing shot of him looking out the window at all of them was deliberately ambiguous because J is such a cipher. But all I've seen this season reinforces my impression that J just wants acceptance from his family and wants to belong. Now he's going to be torn between being on Baz's side and being on Smurf's. He didn't have to make that choice last season - it was whether to choose the teacher and turn state's evidence against his family or to choose his family. He chose the latter.

• Love 4

I loved everyone arguing about who was going to kick Craig's ass! Oh Craig. I don't think his plan is awful, exactly, but I don't see it ending well, because the guy totally sucks at follow through. And, you know, Craig is an idiot whos thought process doesn't move further than what he's doing in the next five minutes. "Beef Stew!" I do appreciate that he and Deran are trying to branch out on their own and take initiative, but, again, I don't see it going super well.

I really have no clue if Baz is trying to set J up, trying to get him on his side in the upcoming Baz vs. Smurf war, or is trying to engage in some bizarre father/son bonding. Possibly some kind of combination? I'm pretty sure that J has fully sided with his family at this point, out of a desire to belong. I'm sure if his family were professional clowns, he would be ordering a new pair of giant red shoes as we speak. He wants to belong, but that's going to be a lot harder now that the family is splitting up. Who will he want to belong with more?

Child services should 100% be called for poor little Lena, but they also definitely should have been called on Smurf when the boys were kids, and quite possibly on Js drug addict mom, so child services are quite consistent in being awful at their jobs.

Pope and his girlfriend are a mess, but I kind of love them. And now they have a dog! What an adorable, deranged couple they are.

• Love 2

I re-watched the episode.  I missed the line at the end, Baz to Lucy: I am going to strip her of everything she cares about. 

In addition to money, I think Smurf does care about "her boys," including J.  Looks as  if Deran and Criag are about to self-destruct; J and Pope: tread carefully.

Meanwhile, we see what Smurf does to those who cross her.  Baz is in real danger here.

AS FOR THE PHONES.  They know she uses them as trackers.  They have probably removed the SIM cards.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm surprised the producers let the actors do those fancy jet skiing maneuvers. Or was that just some amazing CGI of their heads on stunt men's 

I think on some level Baz knows Lena isn't his kid. He and Pope need to go on the Maury Povich show and get it sorted out.

I think Lena is Baz's kid.  Apparently Catherine and Pope had sex after she was "with" Baz, but I don't see the evidence Pope is the father.  

Edited by lazylou

The boat job just doesn't seem like a good idea because so far all we've seen them do are the type of heists where they sneak in and sneak out - not where they confront people. However, it's clear that they used to rob banks. Craig's story to Nikki about being taught to hold a gun on a bank guard at the age of eight is evidence of that. And I believe it was another bank robbery that sent Pope to jail. So hold-ups aren't necessarily out of their wheelhouse. I just don't understand what they need all this money for. They got a pretty penny from the Camp Pendleton job and from the church heist. Half the time I think they just do it for the thrills.

On a completely different topic - not to be a total perve or anything - but Deran's wetsuit left very little to the imagination. Just sayin' I couldn't help but notice . . . 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

On a completely different topic - not to be a total perve or anything - but Deran's wetsuit left very little to the imagination. Just sayin' I couldn't help but notice . . . 

I replayed the beginning,  just to see if I needed to disagree with you.

21 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

This is what I am wondering about too. At the end of S1, it seemed clear that he was going to go after his family and this season I don't get that impression at all. Instead he was mired in Smurf's schemes - yet without seeming like he was playing her - the first few eps of S2and then tossed into this terrible Nicky/Craig kinda triangle that I want to kill with fire. I was hoping to see some more of that vengeful zeal I saw in J's eyes when looking at this family in the S1 finale and on this aspect, I feel really let down by the show. 

I shook my head at Craig going to Smurf to possibly clean the yacht heist proceeds for them. He really is pathetic and way too tied to his mother. At least Deran seems to still want to keep things impersonal with her but Craig is just a moron when it comes to Smurf. And having met his father, I see where Craig gets it from. I remain very curious about Pope/Julia and Deran's fathers.

I guess it was nice to see Baz and J spend some quality father / son time together. :)

Why the heck didn't that dummy leave CA after ripping Smurf off? No, let me spend all her money and then hook up with some chick in a motel where I can easily be found

10 hours ago, Texasmom1970 said:

Good thing he is so purty to look at!

He really is. 

I'm back to hating Nicki. Go home little girl

• Love 2

Wow! A couple of my disjointed thoughts:

Why is Baz telling sidepiece that they should have been together 10 years ago? although he has the morality of a cockroach, he did seem to genuinely love Catherine.  That comment seemed to come out of left field.

Nikki, Nikki, Nikki! You are as stupid as you are annoying!! Walking into a gun store and telling the owner/associate that you don't need him to get a gun? YOU WALKED INTO A GUN STORE FOOL!  The only one possibly dumber than her is Craig who actually thinks she should play a role in the boat heist.  I had a glimmer of hope for him to have some functioning brain cells before that, but to even consider that means he is hopeless.  

Also, what does he see in her? She's not very attractive, not very smart and average to below average in every way.

Smurf is going to come unglued with the storage room incident.  I can't even imagine the terror that Baz will face!

Although far-fetched, I really am enjoying this season and bummed that it's almost over!

• Love 3

I'm not sure if Baz loved Catherine or not.  I think he liked having her around and liked the idea of having a family with her but he was never going to settle down with her in any real or meaningful way.   Catherine being dead was more of an inconvenience for him then a meaningful hurt.  It means he can't dump Lena and pretend to play father when he is in the mood.  I think he is more pissed that Smurf stole the illusion from him then that she killed his lover.  It's more about theft then anything else.  You stole from me.....

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, Chaos Theory said:

I'm not sure if Baz loved Catherine or not.  I think he liked having her around and liked the idea of having a family with her but he was never going to settle down with her in any real or meaningful way.   Catherine being dead was more of an inconvenience for him then a meaningful hurt.  It means he can't dump Lena and pretend to play father when he is in the mood.  I think he is more pissed that Smurf stole the illusion from him then that she killed his lover.  It's more about theft then anything else.  You stole from me.....

I agree.  This explains his revenge...you stole from me, I 'll steal from you...  Seems to me that Pope assumed Baz meant to kill Smurf, not rob her.  I wonder if Pope's initial reaction to the theft won't be relief.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

8 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

You make good points Chaos Theory.  He's pissed at the inconvenience.  He is swamp scum! And I actually though of him as the intelligent, reasonable one last season.

Baz is a classic narcissist.  He is charming- until he isn't.

He is just as ruthless as Smurf - maybe more so. For all of her faults, at least she actually loves Lena.

• Love 6
On 8/2/2017 at 4:22 PM, tennisgurl said:

Pope and his girlfriend are a mess, but I kind of love them. And now they have a dog! What an adorable, deranged couple they are.

I need a favor...I don't get to watch until the weekend and I need someone to tell me if something happens to the dog....I can't handle that.  (I call it my Midnight Expressphobia)

On 8/1/2017 at 11:24 PM, Asdf said:

and he non chalant asks his side piece to pick up his daughter from school!?? 

I am third or forth down on a list to pick up a friends children at school....schools (at least near me) don't let random people pick up children.  There are forms and I will be ID.  

On 8/2/2017 at 0:00 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

I'm surprised the producers let the actors do those fancy jet skiing maneuvers. Or was that just some amazing CGI of their heads on stunt men's bodies?

I think the actors who play Deran and Craig are actual surfers (maybe Pope too), I have seen Baz/Scott Speedman and he can't and jokes about it.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, SingleMaltBlonde said:

I need a favor...I don't get to watch until the weekend and I need someone to tell me if something happens to the dog....I can't handle that.  (I call it my Midnight Expressphobia)

So far, so good. I'm with you. I quit Preacher for exactly that reason. I extend my phobia to include cats, too.

No, but I still felt sorry for the poor thing. He was in a cage a lot and probably scared and hungry.

They were definitely on the jet skis for the close-ups, but I'm not convinced they did their own stunts. Seems far more likely stunt doubles performed those. You can't really see their faces when they're doing the flips.

• Love 1