Type keyword(s) to search

Boy Band - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Thank you for those links. Prettymuch is cute. I love that they were just sitting there singing a cappella (in the first clip). That's really what I was hoping to see and miss in this show. Yes sure the boys will preview a bit a cappella for the visiting architects but it's not at all the same. 

It's really just the difference between an experienced Simon Cowell who is putting together an actual musical act and a tv network putting on a summer show. 

Edited by Lyinfait
  • Love 1

From what I gather, next Thurs is the last time the boys will sing in groups and two out of three will be eliminated. I expect the three weakest singers (Devin, Mikey, Michael) to go up against each other so that only one remain. Whoever survivies is almost guaranteed a spot in the final five since the final week is all solos and the final five will be voted IN to the group. 

Right now, I think Chance is the only shoo-in for the F5. The show loves him and he is also one of the most popular on SM and fans. I like Jaden but I think he is very iffy to make it since he is not as popular and adept on SM as Chance, Devin, Drew, Mikey, and Michael. I think there is a good chance the Despacito group may be the F5.

I wouldn't be against that. The Despacito 5 was my favorite combination and the best group performance this season so far IMO. I would swap out Sergio/Michael with Marcus though.

Jaden is great but too outstanding to be in a boy band. 

Dang...all three groups were terrible this week.  What happened?  Was Tim on vacation?  Or did they just not get any rehearsal time?

On 8/4/2017 at 0:59 AM, Lyinfait said:

Pronounciate. He said that. Still laughing 

Marcus stood out tonight.

They keep giving one group a ridiculous not a boy band appropriate out of range why are we singing this type of song. This week it was Since You've Been Gone. I don't know why they won't work on the arrangement. Was it that difficult to fit their voices properly?

Andrew never had a chance. He's a solo artist and more talented than this show allows him to be. 

J-Hype would not have been surprised to hear his name called if he had been listening to the same solo I was hearing. Boy.

Keep trying to make Chance happen show. I forgot to watch/pay attention to which group he was in and with whom. I don't even remember the second song.

Agreed with your entire post.  I actually rewound a couple of times just to make sure I hadn't misheard...yep...he definitely said "pronounciate".  I got a good chuckle out of it.  That was right up there with Rita explaining that by "saved" she meant..."saved".  Thanks for that R.  I couldn't have figured it out without you.

On 8/4/2017 at 9:17 PM, 87penguins said:

Has anyone else noticed that Sergio never wears full-length pants? I noticed during the last show that he only wears capris. Somehow it bothers me.

Yeah, I mentioned it last week and how I didn't want him to make the band because of it (and how I knew that made me very shallow because he is very cute and a very good singer).

Good luck in your solo career Andrew Bloom.  I will keep a look out for you and hope you put out some music.

Edited by Nessie

Boyz II Men still got it....damn.

None of these boys seems especially talented or memorable.  I struggle to remember names and faces every time I watch.  They all sound the same.  They're pretty much interchangeable and that's not good for hitting it big.  

It bugs me that the audience is stacked with women.  

Who chooses the songs they sing?  Every damn time it's the cheesiest, hardest, most ridiculous songs for them to sing.  Simon Cowell would be telling someone "Terrible song choice" every week if he was on this show.

• Love 1

Groups for this week (Updated with assigned songs):

Brady, Sergio, Devin: "Edge of Glory"

Drew, Mikey, Jaden: "Titanium"

Chance, Marcus, Michael Conor: "Fighter"

Looks like they want to ensure that Devin and Mikey stick out as the weak singers in their groups, while Marcus is "protected" by being grouped with the very popular Chance and Michael Conor.

Edited to add:

I really wanted to hear Jaden and Drew sing "Fighter," but it makes sense that they'd be given "Titanium," since they both have the range and power for it (Mikey might struggle).  I just wish Drew didn't have to sing another David Guetta song--he's mostly sung romantic/yearning songs so far, and I would have liked to have seen how he'd do with a "grittier" number like "Fighter" (though, who knows if "grit" will matter for the songs the eventual band will sing).  Chance, Marcus, and Michael should do fine on "Fighter,"--it's not as demanding in terms of range, and they'll get to win more fangirls over by doing "tough" poses (LOL).  

The group that feels ill-served here is Sergio, Brady, and Devin.  Sergio and Brady can definitely sing, but their voices are more smooth/pretty than "belt-y," and with Devin's pitch-trouble, this song could go off the rails fast (I hope I'm wrong, though, for Sergio and Brady's sake). 

Only one singer will be eliminated this week, and the Top 8 will each sing solo next week for America to vote on the Final Five.  It's weird that the final vote is based on solo performances, since we're supposed to figure out which combo would work best as a band, but then, this show has never really made sense....  Any predictions?

Edited again on 8/13: AfterBuzz didn't reveal any spoilers this week, so nothing to report yet in terms of solo songs....

Edited by alrightokay

I'm surprised the architects didn't put Chance up against Devin to ensure his ousting. Did he rub them the wrong way! He did not realize that the correct response to sounding awful was not to stand by your performance and worse, be proud of it. There's a time in your reality show career where you save yourself by acknowledging a weak performance and demonstrate enough knowledge about your art to recognize a fail while suggesting that you could correct your mistake  (with time, in hindsight etc). Tried and true. You know what rarely works? Standing by your art when it obviously sucks. Not talking difference of opinion, obvious suckage. Some of these boys are getting a little too full of themselves. 

I like Marcus so I was a bit worried that he would be tossed to the wolves being in a group with Chance. I was pleasantly surprised by  Nick's fervent pleas on his behalf. Are they worried he is being overlooked? 

• Love 1

I was surprised by Nick's speech tonite concerning Marcus - I think he's powerful and would be great in a Boy Band. I agree with the above poster - on most of these songs - they all sound terrible at one point or another - they are singing a lot of songs that are difficult if you aren't the original artist. That's what use to get me about AI. You have a singer who's great in a country genre - but they get knocked out because they sounded horrible in the rock genre. We know the winner will make their career in the genre they sound best and are most comfortable with - so I didn't see judging them in all the other ones.

Stick with totally boy band songs as tht is the outcome you're going to market them. I like them all - so make two boy bands and see who survives.

• Love 2

I missed most of it last night as I was out and only caught a few minutes.  However I had to laugh when my sister said "I don't know who any of these guys are but just by looking at him, I'm liking Sergio."

13 hours ago, Lyinfait said:

I'm surprised the architects didn't put Chance up against Devin to ensure his ousting.

Based on vocals, they should have put Chance up against Devin--I still find Chance's voice thin and grating, but he's so clearly the show/fan favorite.  To his credit, he does have stage presence and can dance, and he carries himself well in the interviews/pre-performance packages.  I think the producers are grooming him to be the "face"/leader of the band.

So glad Devin's gone; he was clearly the worst singer left, and he was such a camera-hog at times.  It's weird that they put Sergio up, though--I thought he sounded fine and that the problem was really the song arrangement, which took all the drama/bite out of "Edge of Glory."  There was no way for Sergio to "break out" with such a limp version of this song.  The person I was watching with turned to me during this performance and said, "This sounds like KidzBop"--which made me laugh because it was such a perfect way of putting it. 

"Titanium" sounded great because Drew and Jaden are so, so strong; while Mikey seemed a little uncertain at first, he did well in his part of the bridge.  This was the best vocal performance of the night, but I worry that it was overshadowed by the "cooler" production/choreography/rapping of the "Fighter" number.

4 hours ago, waving feather said:

I can't believe I am now sort of invested in this show when I only started watching this for fun. I am way too old for this but damn it Drew is really good. He has been carrying his groups for the past few weeks.

I totally agree; he comes through every time.  I really hope he makes it.  Drew's not as flashy as some of the others, but his voice is always clear and sure, and he always serves the song.

I wonder how big a factor the judging will be next week--with all eight remaining guys singing solos, will there be enough time for critiques?  And even if there is time, will the judges even bother saying anything negative, since that could lead to backlash, with voters trying desperately to "save" a weaker singer?

ETA: 

I don't think the guys in "Third Wheel" know what "Third Wheel" means--it has a negative connotation, doesn't it?  How does it work as a boy band name?

Edited by alrightokay
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, alrightokay said:

Drew's not as flashy as some of the others, but his voice is always clear and sure, and he always serves the song.

Drew is also a versatile vocalist. So far he has been able to pull off all types of music, even songs meant for women's pitch. They need someone like him in the band, else the actual band would sound like ass during live performances. Every boy band needs a "Brian Littrell" and that is Drew, IMO. Jaden is very talented but he sounds a little awkward on some of the songs. Braden, another good vocalist, is not suitable for some of the urban songs.

Chance is a pretty face but I hate his voice, super shrill when he tries to reach for the high notes. He can't be the lead singer. I like Mikey more than him.

Right now the ideal band would be Drew, Mikey, Marcus, Sergio (but he needs to get rid of the ugly pants), Jaden.

Chance, Michael and Braden are nothing special for me but obviously fan favorites, so they will probably knock off some of the better singers.

• Love 3

I want it to be Chance, Sergio, Drew, Marcus and Mikey. 

I think it will be Chance, Michael, Brady, Marcus and Sergio. 

Jaden has no place in a boy band and should pursue a solo career off of this, which is what I think they're setting him up for. 

• Love 1

OMG, En Vogue! Those ladies are just as fierce 25 years after Free Your Mind came out. Why didn't they have more of a career? BTW, did anyone else feel old when you realized the song came out long before any of the boys on show were born?

I'm on the Drew love train. Not only is he a strong singer, but he also seems very sweet and humble.

I agree that Chance's vocals are mediocre, but it seems like the judges and Rita love him, so I don't think he's going anywhere. I stand by my earlier statement that he'll be the Kevin Richardson of the group.

Also agree, that Jaden, while a great singer, isn't a good fit for a boy band. He's like a miniature Barry White - he should focus on building that into a solo career.

Oooh I'm glad to see there's discussion here, there wasn't any when I checked the forum a few weeks ago! I'll be back!

I finally figured out who Jayden has been reminding me of : Tony on 13 Reasons Why! I agree with everyone here that he'd probably be better on his own than in a boyband...

I don't have strong feelings about any of the remaining guys, my favorite by far was Andrew Bloom, but I guess my ideal boyband in the end would be made up of Brady, Marcus, Drew and Chance! Yep, just four. I don't really care for the rest.

@Diana Berry, we don't know, and we also don't know who has primary custody... They've made it look like Chance's whole life was revolving around his kid, but who knows... Does anyone remember what he's supposed to be doing for a living? And whether he lives on his own or with his mom?

To me, the worst singer left is Mikey. I can't stand that kind of affected, unenunciated, runny type of singing. It's nails on the chalkboard. It also doesnt help that he looks like a 30 yr old hispanic woman masquerading as a teen boy, sorry.

Sergio and Chance are admittedly weak singers but their stage presence and natural charisma helps to offset that enough for me.

@Diana Berry, the dude's name is Chance Perez and I think he has a job as an EMT (or training to be a EMT). His kid seems to be an ooops teen pregnancy and he and the baby mommy are no longer together. 

Edited by wonald
  • Love 6
15 minutes ago, wonald said:

To me, the worst singer left is Mikey. I can't stand that kind of affected, unenunciated, runny type of singing. It's nails on the chalkboard. It also doesnt help that he looks like a 30 yr old hispanic woman masquerading as a teen boy, sorry.

Sergio and Chance are admittedly weak singers but their stage presence and natural charisma helps to offset that enough for me.

@Diana Berry, the dude's name is Chance Perez and I think he has a job as an EMT (or training to be a EMT). His kid seems to be an ooops teen pregnancy and he and the baby mommy are no longer together. 

I agree that Mikey is the weakest singer left but I don't agree that Sergio is a weak singer. I think he has a good voice and the only reason he was in bottom two is because his personality hasn't stood out like so many of the others. So I kind of agree with Nick on that. He needs to find a way to shine more. He seems to have a good fan base though so maybe that will help him last long enough to do that.

Edited by yorklee2
5 hours ago, waving feather said:

Every boy band needs a "Brian Littrell" and that is Drew....

Right now the ideal band would be Drew, Mikey, Marcus, Sergio (but he needs to get rid of the ugly pants), Jaden.

:) Yes, Drew is the Brian/JC/Dan/Liam who quietly makes the song sound good while Nick/Justin/Ashley/Harry gets all the attention.  (Though, I have to say, I do end up loving the "bad boy"/AJ/Zayn most of all.  There's really no "bad boy" in the Boy Band cast, though.)

And your hate for Sergio's pants will always make me laugh.

Edited by alrightokay
  • Love 2

I don't think the guys in "Third Wheel" know what "Third Wheel" means--it has a negative connotation, doesn't it?  How does it work as a boy band name?

How does "Girl Power" work as a theme for a boy band competition? ?

I have to say it's annoying to see Chance being slobbered over like he's the Second Coming when he's got such a mediocre voice. Even when they showed a clip from the photo shoot, it was mainly Chance (with some Devin thrown in). Could the show make it any more clear who is going to front this band? If Chance (or may I call him Chachi?) did not have those matinee idol good looks, he'd have been up for elimination already. 

I thought Mikey did better this week than in previous weeks, for what it's worth. I'm still not impressed with Michael Conor. His performances for me seem more calculated or affected or something, like he's not genuine. 

I feel like militant song, strident songs, songs that are edgy--these are not in sweet Drew's wheelhouse. Where I think he shines is in more romantic songs, upbeat songs, ballads I would think. Stuff like that. 

Unfortunately, upcoming season Voice auditions came and went (battles have been taking place), but hey, maybe down the road, we'll eventually Jaden on The Voice, or even the AI reboot. Or maybe he'll get signed before that.

• Love 1

Why in the world didn't they fix the judges' and Rita Ora's microphones ?  These are the worst sound techs ever.  Remember the first episode when you couldn't hear the vocals?

Edited by Babalooie
  • Love 1

wonald said:

To me, the worst singer left is Mikey. I can't stand that kind of affected, unenunciated, runny type of singing. It's nails on the chalkboard. It also doesnt help that he looks like a 30 yr old hispanic woman masquerading as a teen boy, sorry.

Ok, this made me howl. He has pretty nice features....for a woman. He looks transgender to me.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, yorklee2 said:

I agree that Mikey is the weakest singer left but I don't agree that Sergio is a weak singer. I think he has a good voice and the only reason he was in bottom two is because his personality hasn't stood out like so many of the others. So I kind of agree with Nick on that. He needs to find a way to shine more. He seems to have a good fan base though so maybe that will help him last long enough to do that.

6 hours ago, GinnyMars said:

Oooh I'm glad to see there's discussion here, there wasn't any when I checked the forum a few weeks ago! I'll be back!

I finally figured out who Jayden has been reminding me of : Tony on 13 Reasons Why! I agree with everyone here that he'd probably be better on his own than in a boyband...

I don't have strong feelings about any of the remaining guys, my favorite by far was Andrew Bloom, but I guess my ideal boyband in the end would be made up of Brady, Marcus, Drew and Chance! Yep, just four. I don't really care for the rest.

@Diana Berry, we don't know, and we also don't know who has primary custody... They've made it look like Chance's whole life was revolving around his kid, but who knows... Does anyone remember what he's supposed to be doing for a living? And whether he lives on his own or with his mom?

Thanks Ginny and wolnad.  I was just curious.

i keep thinking if I were 16 who would I be crushing on.  I have to say Drew.  

Drew looks so much better now than when this show started. Yay for styling! He is definitely the best singer left, along with Brady. 

Sorry but Devin cannot sing very well and I'm glad he was the one to go. He seems super sweet and charismatic though. 

Does it seem like the rehearsals always sound better than the live performances to anyone else? Maybe that's due to sound issues. Man, it's bad.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, alrightokay said:

Based on vocals, they should have put Chance up against Devin--I still find Chance's voice thin and grating, but he's so clearly the show/fan favorite.  To his credit, he does have stage presence and can dance, and he carries himself well in the interviews/pre-performance packages.  I think the producers are grooming him to be the "face"/leader of the band.

So glad Devin's gone; he was clearly the worst singer left, and he was such a camera-hog at times.  It's weird that they put Sergio up, though--I thought he sounded fine and that the problem was really the song arrangement, which took all the drama/bite out of "Edge of Glory."  There was no way for Sergio to "break out" with such a limp version of this song.  The person I was watching with turned to me during this performance and said, "This sounds like KidzBop"--which made me laugh because it was such a perfect way of putting it. 

ETA: 

So much of what you said is my thoughts:

Chance deserved to be in the bottom. What do they see in him? Actually, that question is my answer. They see how he looks. They don't care how he sounds (weak), his looks will win over fans. I'm curious to know how strong his fan base is. Devin sure thought he had more of a following then he did. 

The song choices and arrangements are not the best, as usual. 

Third wheel is not the best idea for a band. They must liked the three in it. 

My group would probably include Drew, Jaden, Brady, and Marcus. I wouldn't include Chance but I feel there's no way he's not in the group so I need only choose four. Ideally, Jaden would have a solo career and not be in the group. I agree with wavingfeather who said his voice is a little awkward on some of the songs. That will be a problem. In which case, I'd go with Sergio. 

4 hours ago, wonald said:

Accurate and hilarious observation!

I turned the show off a couple of minutes early. Are there no groups next week?

Because, if "Third Wheel" is worthy, I'd like to suggest the name Afterthought. ("Let's hear it for Afterthought!!!")

• Love 2
5 hours ago, GinnyMars said:

In his intro package they showed a crib in his bedroom, so he at the very least has overnight visitation. Also the mom must have signed a release to have the little girl featured on the show, so they're probably on reasonable terms?

As for his job, he said he was currently working as an EMT and training to be a firefighter. But I'm 100% sure he'll make the boy band, so there'll be one less hot firefighter in California.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, wonald said:

It also doesnt help that he looks like a 30 yr old hispanic woman masquerading as a teen boy, sorry.

LOL! Poor Mikey but it's true! It doesn't help that it always looks like he's wearing lipstick. I still like him, though. He's the type of non-threatening boys that tween girls love and his vocal is inoffensive enough for me, better than Chance's.

I wasn't surprised to see Devin go.  Sergio has kind of flown under the radar up to this point. I'm surprised he won the vote.

What was up with Nick storming off stage when they announced that Sergio was staying?  I thought that he'd JUST told Devin that it wasn't all about Devin....and here he was jumping out of his chair so fast that it spun in his dust when he didn't get his way. 

Nick in general grates my nerves on this show. I watch because he's on it and I'm entering my third decade of loving boy bands, but I want to punch him in the face when he's lecturing these boys about being exactly like he's been since 1997*. I would say he's learned from his mistakes but he's still out here being Nick.

*I do appreciate that he seems to look out for the young ones.  He always mentions their innocence and wanting to maintain that.  I don't think anyone thought to do that for him and that makes my heart hurt.  If Brady doesn't make it, it'll be because Nick wants to protect him.

Edited by Spencer Hastings

That was uncomfortable to watch.  Yes, Devin was being arrogant, but then I remind myself that he's only 17, and is probably getting way more attention than he has ever gotten in his life.  What 17 year old's head wouldn't be turned a little?  But nope...a lesson had to be taught.

On 8/11/2017 at 0:18 AM, Lyinfait said:

I'm surprised the architects didn't put Chance up against Devin to ensure his ousting. Did he rub them the wrong way! He did not realize that the correct response to sounding awful was not to stand by your performance and worse, be proud of it. There's a time in your reality show career where you save yourself by acknowledging a weak performance and demonstrate enough knowledge about your art to recognize a fail while suggesting that you could correct your mistake  (with time, in hindsight etc). Tried and true. You know what rarely works? Standing by your art when it obviously sucks. Not talking difference of opinion, obvious suckage. Some of these boys are getting a little too full of themselves. 

I don't think the architects were about to risk their precious Chance against Devin.  Sergio was expendable, just in case the vote went wrong.

21 hours ago, alrightokay said:

"Titanium" sounded great because Drew and Jaden are so, so strong; while Mikey seemed a little uncertain at first, he did well in his part of the bridge.  This was the best vocal performance of the night, but I worry that it was overshadowed by the "cooler" production/choreography/rapping of the "Fighter" number.

You think so?  I thought it was easily the worst song of the night.  I thought everyone was off key throughout the song, even Jaden.  But then, I kind of feel very few people should ever sing a Sia song except for Sia.

15 hours ago, wonald said:

the dude's name is Chance Perez and I think he has a job as an EMT (or training to be a EMT). His kid seems to be an ooops teen pregnancy and he and the baby mommy are no longer together. 

Am I the only one tired of seeing Chance's baby being trotted out every week?  I mean, she's cute and all, but is a baby really the kind of thing that makes pre-teen and younger teen girls vote for a guy?

12 hours ago, Babalooie said:

Why in the world didn't they fix the judges' and Rita Ora's microphones ?  These are the worst sound techs ever.  Remember the first episode when you couldn't hear the vocals?

Good times.  These last two weeks have sounded so terrible I'm looking back fondly on the sound problems of the first few weeks.  Maybe that's why I didn't think the groups sounded so bad in the beginning...we just couldn't hear them!

6 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

What was up with Nick storming off stage when they announced that Sergio was staying?  I thought that he'd JUST told Devin that it wasn't all about Devin....and here he was jumping out of his chair so fast that it spun in his dust when he didn't get his way. 

My DVR recording cut off so I didn't see that happen.  Interesting.  I thought for sure that Nick and Timbaland wanted Devin out...maybe they just wanted to give him a scare?  Things that make you go Hmmm....

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Nick in general grates my nerves on this show. I watch because he's on it and I'm entering my third decade of loving boy bands, but I want to punch him in the face when he's lecturing these boys about being exactly like he's been since 1997*. I would say he's learned from his mistakes but he's still out here being Nick.

*I do appreciate that he seems to look out for the young ones.  He always mentions their innocence and wanting to maintain that.  I don't think anyone thought to do that for him and that makes my heart hurt.  If Brady doesn't make it, it'll be because Nick wants to protect him.

I was surprised that Sergio survived, too; Devin has a massive following online.  I think that's why Nick strode off after the vote--he was so nervous that Devin would stay over Sergio that he was overwhelmed and had to go collect himself/let off steam.  As self-important as he can be, I do have a soft spot for Nick--he's been through a lot (his whole family has).  

I wonder if the producers ultimately want Brady to stay so they can recreate some of the "boy band/girl group archetypes" that make these bands accessible to a wide range of fans (the Baby, the Heartthrob, the Sweetheart, the Older Brother, etc.).  Is Chance the Heartthrob (which is what Nick called him when he was teaching them the "boy band poses"), or is he the Older Brother (since he's already a father and has made a big deal out of being responsible and nurturing)?  Or is Marcus the Older Brother, since they've shown his younger sibling on the show and had him talk about taking care of his family?  I wonder if the most popular boys are also the ones who fit certain roles: Chance, Michael (he's the closest to a "Bad Boy" with his "edgy" rapping, LOL), Brady.  If Devin had stayed, he'd be the Joker.  Maybe the Architects put Sergio up because they're unsure what "role" he could play?

You think so?  I thought it was easily the worst song of the night.  I thought everyone was off key throughout the song, even Jaden.  

Yes, when it first started, I thought the same thing. Even Jaden sounded off; how could that be? I think there was something wonky about the sound system (however that works).  Yet, as the boys went along, the harmonies did seem to get stronger to me. But the first half of the song, er, yeah, no.

It was great to see En Vogue. Like TLC, they look like they havent aged at ALL. I DO think they sounded much better as a foursome than a trio but that's what you get when you lose the lead singer.

I think Nick left quickly at the end bc he had the runs. I didnt see anything fishy.

I think the architects put Sergio against Devin bc Sergio might have been the only one who could defeat Devin. Lots of comments about Sergio's large following tonite.

Right now, Chance has the highest chance (no pun intended) of making the F5. Jaden the lowest (IMO).

Edited by wonald
17 hours ago, chocolatine said:

In his intro package they showed a crib in his bedroom, so he at the very least has overnight visitation. Also the mom must have signed a release to have the little girl featured on the show, so they're probably on reasonable terms?

As for his job, he said he was currently working as an EMT and training to be a firefighter. But I'm 100% sure he'll make the boy band, so there'll be one less hot firefighter in California.

That's great that he has a profession to fall back on...some of these guys not sure if they know fame is fleeting.

23 hours ago, wonald said:

Forever and ever that will be my visual of Mikey ( why isn't he mike or Michael?).  Thanks for the giggle

12 hours ago, Nessie said:

Am I the only one tired of seeing Chance's baby being trotted out every week?  I mean, she's cute and all, but is a baby really the kind of thing that makes pre-teen and younger teen girls vote for a guy?

My DVR recording cut off so I didn't see that happen.  Interesting.  I thought for sure that Nick and Timbaland wanted Devin out...maybe they just wanted to give him a scare?  Things that make you go Hmmm....

Not the only one. Heartstrings manipulation fail. 

I also missed the Nick storm out. That surprises me, they seemed done with Devin at that point. Maybe they also overestimated the weak vocals but cute popularity votes? In which case, they might have to think twice about their chosen one? One can only hope.

@Alrightokay, I would guess Sergio would be the Latin lover/"ethnic" one. They would have him sing a lot of verses in Spanish to increase appeal.

Edited by Lyinfait
Failure to quote everything in one go

An Instagram video showed Jaden rehearsing Demi Lovato's "Skyscraper" with the Boy Band musicians.  If that's his solo, it makes me wonder just how much leeway the guys have in choosing their songs.  As on shows like American Idol and The Voice, there's probably a pre-approved/pre-cleared list they have to choose from, so they might not be able to pick songs that reflect their own styles/tastes.  While I have no doubt Jaden will do well on "Skyscraper," it doesn't really feel "boyband-y" to me (so it's like most of the songs they've had to sing on this show!).  I just hope we'll get to see some fun, upbeat numbers in addition to the serious inspirational songs and love songs.  (And will anyone dance during their solo? I hope so!)

1 hour ago, alrightokay said:

An Instagram video showed Jaden rehearsing Demi Lovato's "Skyscraper" with the Boy Band musicians.  If that's his solo, it makes me wonder just how much leeway the guys have in choosing their songs.  As on shows like American Idol and The Voice, there's probably a pre-approved/pre-cleared list they have to choose from, so they might not be able to pick songs that reflect their own styles/tastes.  While I have no doubt Jaden will do well on "Skyscraper," it doesn't really feel "boyband-y" to me (so it's like most of the songs they've had to sing on this show!).  I just hope we'll get to see some fun, upbeat numbers in addition to the serious inspirational songs and love songs.  (And will anyone dance during their solo? I hope so!)

They are not allowed to reveal what songs they are singing for their solos this wk. I saw Andrew Butcher rehearsing singing Journey's "Open Arms" a few weeks ago on someone's IG so it's probably something they all do.

11 minutes ago, wonald said:

They are not allowed to reveal what songs they are singing for their solos this wk. I saw Andrew Butcher rehearsing singing Journey's "Open Arms" a few weeks ago on someone's IG so it's probably something they all do.

Thanks--good to know!

These are the worst sound techs ever.  Remember the first episode when you couldn't hear the vocals?

Yes, I realize there are a lot of shows, so maybe they are not getting the best sound guys, but the sounds is awful here. Just terrible. I have not thought any of the performances ever sounded really good. The group stuff sounds off and I can barely hear the individuals sometimes. 

And Devin totally pulled a Justin Guarini and got a little too cocky leading to his ouster. I think if he didn't have such a bitchface during the critique and didn't talk back, he might have stayed. He has the boyband look down, but his attitude sunk him.

On 8/4/2017 at 0:10 PM, crazyirishlady said:

I think, putting talent aside, (and really with auto tune, how much talent do these boys need, am I right?) the final 5 will be Jaden, Chance, Devin, Brady and one of the Hispanic boys ( I'm hoping Sergio), just to have a mix of everything, plus their favorite two (Devin and Chance)...YMMV of course.

I too think that singing talent is probably third on the list of qualities for a boy band.  I think their tween appeal is top, with their race probably being second.  If you ask me, autotune is relied on for every successful singer who is more known for their look than their talent-- Britney, Taylor, Spice Girls, etc.

On 8/11/2017 at 2:46 PM, GinnyMars said:

, we don't know, and we also don't know who has primary custody... They've made it look like Chance's whole life was revolving around his kid, but who knows... Does anyone remember what he's supposed to be doing for a living? And whether he lives on his own or with his mom?

I think no father gets primary custody unless the mother hands it over or is clearly unprepared, like an addict or proven abuser.  Though these shows always make it seem like 'single father' means they're raising a kid alone, not tending one 8-12 days a month.

On 8/11/2017 at 6:24 PM, kitten59 said:

Ok, this made me howl. He has pretty nice features....for a woman. He looks transgender to me.

I think Mikey's androgenous look is totally behind the girls screaming for him and saving him.  Those long-haired, pretty boys always make good Tiger Beat fodder.  They're non-threatening, like someone said.  The name Mikey and his small stature help.  

I think Chance is also there for Tiger Beat fodder, but I actually think he's the best looking, especially shirtless.  But because of that I'm not sure little girls would agree.  Though the judges might push him through, because they too aren't little girls and don't know better.  They always seem surprised Mikey gets saved.  

I think Michael Connor (why are some of them called by their full names every mention and others never?) could be a boy band star.  He looks like young Kirk Cameron, and the violin and rapping thing are adorable.  

I don't think Brady is as good-looking as the judges do but I think he should make it as the one who actually has technical ability.  And he's young.  And Jaden will make it through on sounding good and I think he'll be the token black.  

I heard 'pronunciate' too.  Ha.  

I like the judges and Rita.  I think she is like Cat Deeley though I can see her reading the teleprompter below the camera.  

I agree the sound at times sucks.  I like how when they switch from solos to group choruses, sometimes the sound cuts out completely like the guys activating the mics got confused about whose solo, if anyone's, was next so they just shut them all off?  

My pics so far, assuming they'll insist on some racial diversity, would be Michael, Jaden, Chance, Brady and Sergio.  Though Mikey's androgeny might edge out Sergio.  

I've been watching this on the PVR because the commenting and some of the behind the scenes stuff is boring and useless.   You can almost see the architects/Rita counting down the pauses before they release a name.  Too much filler and not enough useful content ... although this show isn't nearly as horrible as World of Dance is for this.

I think TPTB already have their guys picked out and are doing the eliminations so they will have the five they want.  They may end up with a surprise, but who really believes that audiences really pick winners in reality tv shows?  I think they help to choose them, but don't think they are the ultimate deciding factor.

The songs choices are annoying and don't make any sense.  It's been pointed out on here that there's no reason if these are the songs provided, they can't be adapted for the voice ranges of these boys/young men.  So many other talent shows have already proven you don't need to be a mimic to give an amazing performance of a song that everyone already knows.

One a totally shallow and snarky note, I can't believe Chance is on here, being promoted, and showing off his daughter.  I think he's nice to look at and will give him props for taking responsibility for his daughter, but know if he was female, he wouldn't be given this opportunity without a lot of negative backlash, if at all. 

>why are some of them called by their full names every mention and others never?

Michael Conor is actually not his full name.  Conor is his first name; Michael is his middle name - so he's using just his given names, just like the other boys - just reordered, for whatever reason.

I'm watching because one of the last 8 standing is my kid's classmate.  It's been pretty amusing following - the first 3 judge-selected eliminations as well as the bottom selections in recent weeks make perfect logical sense, if I keep in mind that what one would want in a boy band are kids who tweens will consider cute, who will work hard and follow directions, who will get along with each other, who will have some stage presence, and who are not absolutely abysmal singers.  Add to that that some broad-ish demographics coverage would also be desirable - and now we have a final 8 which has a) ethnic diversity, b) broad selection of different kinds of "cute", b) eliminated the more mature or independent or difficult personalities, and c) eliminated the weakest singers.  I think tptb can probably work with any combination of 5 of the remaining 8.  Will be interesting to see how much the judges try to steer the votes with their comments this week.

Edited by soamused
  • Love 1

Aha!  A solution to the Michael Conor issue!  Thanks!  I was kind of wondering about "Andrew Blutcher" but google reminded me there was an Andrew Bloom.  

I totally agree with you about all the rest you said.

Regarding others' comments about a boy band needing a range of vocal abilities including a baritone... if that's true, how is that applicable to say girl bands or solo acts?  Or is it just nicer harmonies when there's a wider range of vocal abilities?  

I'm loving the show for some reason but I do fast forward the interminable pauses.  

I like the theme weeks.  It reminds me of old American Idol when they'd have like Andrew Lloyd Weber or Neil Diamond weeks.  I enjoy seeing young minds re-do old classics.

The sound balance is really awful when we watch the show in real time.  I recall an early Tim Davis interview when he said that production was still learning to follow the solo sequences properly with the audio balance.  I think the online clips sound a bit better than what I recall from the real-time broadcast - either they fix the balance a bit before uploading, or my expectations are lower when I re-view.  I also think the sound balance is off during the live shows because they have some boys' mics muted except when they are solo-ing (or in the case of J-Hype, beat-boxing) because some of the singing was *that* bad.  I don't think anyone left is an awful singer so hopefully sound production won't be an issue the last 2 episodes.

I'm loving the show too.  The boys are so earnest (at least, the ones who are left), the dramatic pauses are so cheesy, and I think I see near-terror in some of the boys' eyes during the elimination process at the end of each episode.  Yes, I'm an awful person - but seeing 18- and 19-yo young men crying at each cheesy end is kind of entertaining.  I understand that it can be overwhelming for the younger boys - but for the older boys, I find it funny.  And yes, one of the older boys is my kid's classmate, and yes, I laugh at him.  I'm old,  the show is predictable and none of the eliminations have been a surprise, and this stuff is funny.  I am *so* looking forward to the finale - I hope the boys don't know the results ahead of time.  (Yes, I know, I have a cold, cold heart.)

Edited by soamused
  • Love 1
On August 12, 2017 at 6:38 AM, Nessie said:

You think so?  I thought it was easily the worst song of the night.  I thought everyone was off key throughout the song, even Jaden.  But then, I kind of feel very few people should ever sing a Sia song except for Sia.

I have to admit that I'm super biased toward Drew, so that might have affected my judgment!  

37 minutes ago, soamused said:

And yes, one of the older boys is my kid's classmate, and yes, I laugh at him. 

I'm dying to know which contestant you know, though I understand that you probably don't want to reveal who it is.  Once the finale's over, it'd be great to hear if he made the final five and how the show depicted him vs. how he is at home.  

• Love 4