Type keyword(s) to search

Let's try to market this: media, articles and interviews

caracas1914

That's fair enough, but those in charge of Glee want to pat themselves on the back for diversity when in truth almost every minority character was there to support the story of a white person.

Most of them were there as token, so that Glee could claim this diversity title. Glee is not the first show to do that, they are just the only one that had several token minorities, unlike other shows that usually had only 1 or 2. I think Glee's impact come from having so many token minorities.

I would like to give Glee credit for having so many minorities but I'm not one of those people who want to see token minorities on screen just so that I can see them. I want them to actually serve a purpose on the show, beside being a stereotype. Glee fail to do that on so many level. So I'm not going to start congratulating them for having them.

Glee had an impact because for the first time gay characters were treated like fully develop human beings, not just tokens. I'm grateful for that and I give Glee credit for that. But not when it comes to other minorities on the show. 

• Love 6

I think there had been some pretty good LGBT characters on shows before which were treated well and had their own storylines (even as regular characters) etc, but Kurt is probably one of the first ones that went so viral post new media explosion.

South of Nowhere was on The N(!) from 2005-2008, and the main character was a teenage lesbian who had an on/off relationship with a bisexual girl and ended up with her at the end of the series. Her coming out process and her parents' reaction to it was central to the first season, and her love life was just as important as anyone else's in subsequent seasons. Of course, due to being on Nick there were long periods of hairbrushing or hugging instead of actual kisses, but overall the LGBT characters on that show were treated well and were certainly not tokens. That wasn't a network show, though, so it didn't get nearly the amount of attention Glee got.

• Love 2

Semi-related to Glee, but I was watching the local news and they interviewed Lee Daniels about Empire.  He said that Glee was actually what inspired him to do a musical TV show.  Someone in his house was watching Glee one day, and he was basically like oh shoot, I wish I had done that, and has been thinking about how to do a TV musical show ever since.

And apparently Empire went up in the ratings again last night. That is almost unheard of. Looks like Fox finally has another hit on their hands. (fingers still crossed for Amber on this show! I could even see Naya.)

• Love 4

I refuse to let this happen again.  I have been so tempted to watch empire since I love Taraji BUT I am going to need to hear good things about it consistently until the middle of their season 2.   "Glee" will NEVER happen to me again.  EVER.

• Love 1

I refuse to let this happen again.  I have been so tempted to watch empire since I love Taraji BUT I am going to need to hear good things about it consistently until the middle of their season 2.   "Glee" will NEVER happen to me again.  EVER.

Honestly the writers are so good I doubt a Glee could happen. You should watch it.

606 sneak peak is out, and hardly surprising Naya and Heather aren't in this promo even though it's about Brittana's engagement, while Darren hogs more screen time than probably Blaine has in the actual episode, and surprise! talking about himself again. I lost count of the number of promos he's now appeared in for this season.  

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

Short interview with Dot (SPOILER in the link)

In particular: 

"When Glee's Dot-Marie Jones was first told her character Coach Beiste was going to reveal she is transgender, the actress had a small hesitation – but not for the reason you might think.

"I just didn't want to let down the girls who are straight and tomboys that my character represented the last four seasons,' " Jones tells PEOPLE of her character transitioning from female to male on the FOX show's sixth – and final – season. "But I got the script and I was, like, 'Oh my God. This is amazing.' "

http://www.people.com/article/glee-dot-marie-jones-coach-beiste-transgender-first-photo

I disagree with the change in Coach Bieste's character, but Dot-Marie is always a class act, and I'm glad she acknowledged what the character's represented up until now. While I do want to see more transgender and transexual representation, Shannon's just the wrong character to do this with, as she was already compelling and spoke well to an underrepresented audience. But it's Glee, so whatever. If it weren't for Dot's warmth, I wouldn't care one bit for the character, as he's essentially become an inconsistent spokes vessel at this point. It's totally because of the talented person playing Bieste that I want him to have a happy ending.

• Love 4

Short interview with Dot (SPOILER in the link)

In particular: 

"When Glee's Dot-Marie Jones was first told her character Coach Beiste was going to reveal she is transgender, the actress had a small hesitation – but not for the reason you might think.

"I just didn't want to let down the girls who are straight and tomboys that my character represented the last four seasons,' " Jones tells PEOPLE of her character transitioning from female to male on the FOX show's sixth – and final – season. "But I got the script and I was, like, 'Oh my God. This is amazing.' "

http://www.people.com/article/glee-dot-marie-jones-coach-beiste-transgender-first-photo

That's exactly the reason I thought she would be hesitant. Bieste must've been an inspiration to girls like that. It's not often they see themselves on screen, especially in a positive role.

• Love 4

Another Glee FInal Countdown video:  This one "Top 8 Exciting Moments".  Do we know how they picked these?  ie, fan voting?  Because whether fans or Glee, the video *clearly* shows Rachel is the star of the show, since the top 8 moments include four featuring Rachel: Finn proposes, Rachel gets Fanny, Kurt surprises Rachel in NYC, and Rachel's FG debut.  (I'm now hearing, "Rachel, Rachel, Rachel!" in Marcia's voice in my head).  Actually, arguably five, since another moment is the Nationals win, and Rachel is featured in the clip.  The other three are shipper scenes:  one Brittana scene (Santana loves Brittany from Season 2) and two Klaine scenes (first kiss and engagement).

Edited by tab19

Another Glee FInal Countdown video:  This one "Top 8 Exciting Moments".  Do we know how they picked these?  ie, fan voting?  Because whether fans or Glee, the video *clearly* shows Rachel is the star of the show, since the top 8 moments include four featuring Rachel: Finn proposes, Rachel gets Fanny, Kurt surprises Rachel in NYC, and Rachel's FG debut.  (I'm now hearing, "Rachel, Rachel, Rachel!" in Marcia's voice in my head).  Actually, arguably five, since another moment is the Nationals win, and Rachel is featured in the clip.  The other three are shipper scenes:  one Brittana scene (Santana loves Brittany from Season 2) and two Klaine scenes (first kiss and engagement).

The description says fan-voted.  I don't know where they voted, maybe facebook or fox.com or something.

The voting came from twitter questions posed by Darren's girlfriend, who only has 3k followers, and big portion of which are probably Darren fans. So, that's why these dumb poll results might be skewed.

The voting came from twitter questions posed by Darren's girlfriend, who only has 3k followers, and big portion of which are probably Darren fans. So, that's why these dumb poll results might be skewed.

I can't with people taking these polls seriously in any sense, it is  so absurd. It is who ever happens to see it and the same groups get others within their group to vote.    They are suppose to be for fun but some fans within the overall fandom have replaced their sense of fun with resentment.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 2

They weren't as much Rachel heavy but season 5 heavy (3 of the 8 were season 5). For example I think Rachel's FG debut should be in there but I also think Beth's birth/Bohemian Rhapsody should be in there as well.  I would have put it in there in place of Rachel getting FG after her singing temper tantrum.  I also would have put "Break a Leg/I love you" in instead of the proposal.  

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

They weren't as much Rachel heavy but season 5 heavy (3 of the 8 were season 5) which is strange considering the ratings for season 5.

People tend to have short memories.

I they were individual/couple heavy. Only the Nationals win is about the glee club. I agree with you Beth's birth should be there, (despite how much I hate that version of Bohemian Rhapsody). Their first sectionals win and graduations should be there too.

Exciting is very subjective too.

I liked the performance of Bohemian Rhapsody but didn't fine the birth of Beth to be exciting it was pretty cliche  she would have it at Sectionals.

Not sure what I would say was exciting  I keep thinking more shocking or wtf moments tbh.

I don't think anything exciting has ever happened on Glee, but then I've always read spoilers... not that anything in the spoilers has ever been that exciting either.  Most of Glee's "excitement" tends to come from WTF moments that weren't eluded to, built up to or earned.

Seriously?  That's the stupidest way to run something that they're calling 'official' I've ever heard. I know it's not important, but I'm offended by poorly thought out surveys in principle.  Like, why not at least put the poll on the Glee website instead of some random Glee-affiliated twitter account?  Whatever, clearly I'm giving this way more thought than anyone at Glee or Fox.

And it only matters because the RESULTS are a reflection on Glee, and we're all sitting here going 'Hunh?' at those results. 

My curiosity about how the voting occurred was driven by the idea that you can affect the result pretty easily just by the format:  Like, whoever decides what you're going to vote on controls the vote.  So I figured that Glee had selected a Rachel-heavy field of options.  But given the way this survey was 'conducted' - I am now only surprised that it's not 7/8 Darren-related, simply because you have to figure Darren fans are more likely to follow his girlfriend's twitter.

And yes, 'exciting' is a stupid word to use.  Better would be 'unforgettable' or 'game-changing'.  

Wow, apparently I'm really irritated about this poll!  

Edited by tab19

Wow, apparently I'm really irritated about this poll!  

I think it comes from the notion, already expressed several times in all threads, that Glee can't even do the simplest shit well. No wonder a network show was beyond them.

I studied PR at university, I never completed my degree so have never worked in the field. But our class projects were more professional than that. 

• Love 1

Pace yourself, there are still more "polls" to come! LOL

I was wondering how these results came about. I guess at least somebody is doing something to count down to the series finale...even if it is a bit sketchy.

Edited by indeed
  • Love 1

Seriously?  That's the stupidest way to run something that they're calling 'official' I've ever heard. I know it's not important, but I'm offended by poorly thought out surveys in principle. 

I mean you said it yourself.  It's not important.  It's promo for a cancelled show that has terrible ratings.  They aren't going to have a large budget for promotional activities.

It is still a fox affiliated twitter account.  It's also very low-cost to do a "poll" like this.  A tweak to a website is very cheap to do, but still does cost money and take some time.  A few twitter questions don't require the lead time and production cycle.

It is still a fox affiliated twitter account.  It's also very low-cost to do a "poll" like this.  A tweak to a website is very cheap to do, but still does cost money and take some time.  A few twitter questions don't require the lead time and production cycle.

Not that I think this poll means anything, but I could literally create a poll on Survey Monkey and have it reach more people in the Glee fandom than using twitter suggestions.

• Love 1

Not that I think this poll means anything, but I could literally create a poll on Survey Monkey and have it reach more people in the Glee fandom than using twitter suggestions.

There are rules to using systems like Survey Monkey or whatever internal survey tool they might have.  There are usually corporate accounts tied to stuff like this and charge backs to use of the tools.  A free survey on Survey Monkey has a lot of limitations, and most organizations don't allow company sponsored surveys to use the free version anyway.