Type keyword(s) to search

Let's try to market this: media, articles and interviews

caracas1914

Pushing it sure but it sure as hell isn't working, at least not on me. The only thing I thought watching that promo, especially when the voiceover guy mentioned it was the phenomenon that started about underdogs or whatever, is that, "and somewhere along the way they completely lost the point and ruined all their characters so now the underdogs we were supposed to root for, no one really gives a shit about anymore....great job." 

• Love 2

Those who watched the show for the underdog theme have long jumped ship, so it's almost an insult to try to invoke early Glee with scenes from Season One when it was prscisely that that Ryan and company deconstructed by Season 4.

It's amusing they are keeping the Noobs far away from the early promo, which for once makes sense, there is no time to make "stars" of 3.0 Noobs at this late date.

Again Blaine in Warbler gear and Brittanna in cheerleader outfits and Sue ranting in the hallways, it's like a parody of a promo.

I think it's an alumni blazer and alumni cheerleader uniforms - which makes it even worse.

So I guess that makes Season 6 an "alumni" season.    Well it doesn't really matter, FOX has given Glee the death slot of Fridays at 9.00 PM after, so help me, a reality show called "Worlds Funniest Fails".

I think it's an alumni blazer and alumni cheerleader uniforms - which makes it even worse.

What the Jesus are alumi Blazers and cheerleader uniforms??? Sounds like things people with that fetish wear.

[Ryan Murphy joke redacted!]

What the Jesus are alumi Blazers and cheerleader uniforms??? Sounds like things people with that fetish wear.

[Ryan Murphy joke redacted!]

In the promo you can see Santana and Brittany's tops are solid red, instead of the red&white of the regular uniforms. I also vaguely remember some online discussion that these are "alumni uniforms". Blaine's jacket, who knows, maybe the same deal, or he has his old one as keepsake.

Edited by fakeempress

Ryan Murphy made this big stink back in Season 2 that Glee was going to be different in that he wouldn't have aging actors as students in high school for years because of "realism". So instead, in the 6th year of a show he has them put on "alumni" outfits and still hang around the same high school.

Somehow that seems even more pathetic.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

There must be a portrait in the attic for all the times Ryan Murphy changed his mind, fudged and equivocated, blamed someone else for his mistakes and outright lied, just on Glee. Could be some sight to behold.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

In the promo you can see Santana and Brittany's tops are solid red, instead of the red&white of the regular uniforms. I also vaguely remember some online discussion that these are "alumni uniforms". Blaine's jacket, who knows, maybe the same deal, or he has his old one as keepsake.

Just seen the promo, those red Cheerios outfits have been used before. When the Cheerios are backing dancers in Nasty/Rhythm Nation.

But 20/21 year olds in school uniforms/cheerleader outfits still looks like someone has a fetish.

I don't remember the red cheerio tops. Took me a while but found these from the location shoot (not putting as spoiler bc it's technically from the same footage shown in the promo), and what Santana and Brittany wear are labelled Cheerios Alum.

tumblr_nccpqhP4EL1t16j5do2_250.jpg

Edited by fakeempress

I haven't watched Glee in a long time, but I saw that "Let It Go" promo, and it really made me wish they had never wasted Idina Menzel as Rachel's birth mother. Instead of having Rachel trying to be Streisand Jr. after graduation, they should have had her go to New York and start single white femaling Idina Menzel. That's much more in Rachel/Lea's wheelhouse. I would have watched a spinoff about that.

• Love 3

Glee released the promotional S6 individual shoot photos;

All the Original Glee Seasons 1 and 2 sans Harry Shum Jr. And Dianna Agron, but including Dot Jones.

In addition to Dot, they included Sam and Blaine with the Originals.

Edited by shantown

That is why I stated Seasons 1 and 2, and TBH, I see little need at this late date to differentiate between Sam/Blaine and the Originals since those two characters both have appeared in 75 plus episodes since Season Two.

The new 3.0 Noobs weren't utilized for the photo shoot, which isn't all that shocking. The show learned their lesson with the disaster of the Original Noobs of Season 4.

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/s57/glee/news/a617277/see-glee-season-6s-new-class-photos.html?utm_source=tw&utm_medium=dsuk&utm_campaign=twdsuk#~oYN0fs82i5zoue

Class pictures for season 6.

Is it just me being grouchy or are these a bit odd. I mean Tina's top and skirt don't match, Brittany's outfit doesn't fit, neither does Mercedes jacket. The colour Santana is wearing doesn't suit her wear the Jesus is Blaine wearing.

I like Rachel's outfit, very pre New York makeover but a little more grown up and Chris Colfer and Mark Salling look hot.

• Love 1

The photos are really interesting, as they seem to be dropping a lot of hints about the storylines for the different characters. Rachel's outfit looks like an updated and age appropriate version of what she used to wear in season one (minus the knee socks and animal sweaters). It's a little schoolmarm-ish, which makes sense given the focus of her storyline this season. And she's the only one of the girls that's not really smiling (which really would make sense given what's going to be happening with her). Also Bieste isn't wearing her trademark red lipstick.

Really love how Kurt looks, with that coy look over his shoulder at the camera. Very sexy. And thank all the Gods that they finally did something with Artie's hair! He still looks nerdtastic, but it's more urbane and mature. As for Blaine... I'm really starting to think that someone in the costuming department has it in for Darren because Kurt would have dumped Blaine on account of that outfit alone.

• Love 1

I love how in the group picture at TV Guide (with the casts' backs to the audience) that it looks like Fox won't even spring for a box for Darren Criss to stand on so that he and Kurt are the same height.  It looks like Colfer is just stooping at the knees.  Sort of amusing that the only thing about Blaine that has remained consistent since his introduction is his illusionary height.

Mercedes and Artie look good to me in those pictures, Tina looks okay and everyone else looks kinda odd to me, be it the facial expression, the odd pose or the WTF clothes. Maybe they ran out of money even for promo shots like these.

• Love 2
Does anyone else get The Last Supper from this photo? With Finn 2.0 Sam as the Jesus figure in the middle. I can't.

leonardo_last_supper_tickets_milan.jpg

tumblr_ngsq2flnzi1r4ezfzo1_500.jpg

Brittany does look a little like an apostle....LOL

To me they so photoshopped 4 different group photos together...

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Wouldn't be surprised if they photo shop in Dianna and Harry later, especially if both are available for filming the wrap up episodes in January/Feb.

Unless they have surprises the last few episodes I'm going to assume it's all about the older regulars who will get the primary focus. Career resolutions/directions and the Choir club firmly established again and with one last Finn tribute.

They may get the S4 Original Noobs ( Marley, Jake, Ryder, Unique) to sway in the background for a big group number in the last episode is my guess.

Marketing seems focused on Original Glee.

They're not even trying with the photoshopping here. In what universe is Lea as tall as Jane? Or Heather?

I suppose that I should just be grateful that for once they let Chris be taller than Darren. Either that or Lea stole Darren's stilts.

They're not even trying with the photoshopping here. In what universe is Lea as tall as Jane? Or Heather?

I suppose that I should just be grateful that for once they let Chris be taller than Darren. Either that or Lea stole Darren's stilts.

Lea has a box.  :)

I hardly think it's a coincidence that this season with Mia Swier, Darren's girlfriend in charge of BTS promos, , there is zero footage of on screen interviews or speaking promos for Chris Colfer. I guess he's magically gone the days of production 6 or 7 other Glee cast are available for interviews/promos.

Just shoddy unprofessionalism and plain tacky on Mia's part.

Edited by caracas1914

Did I mention an excellent drinking game for those who want to get sloshed really quickly? Drink every time Darren appears and every time Chris doesn't lol. But seriously, all the footage used so far is from the same shoots, so if they did one with Chris, they would've used it by now imo. 

Also to report that with probably one day left, no other Glee cast member apart from Darren and Chord has been featured in Fox's Holiday Calendar Countdown videos. I assume they end with the 24th, but maybe they go to New Year's Eve.

My first thought - those are some terrible extensions Amber is wearing.  Just awful.  As for the Chris thing I tend to think it falls down the middle in that I felt it was very obvious in his performance in the latter half of last season Chris was just over the show (and who could blame really any of them for that especially those who have other projects lined up like Chris does). If I noticed I am sure the production staff did and since they all are just coasting at this point (that forgettable of "Let it Go" proves that) they probably chose what they saw as the path of least resistance and asked those who don't seem quite as over it to do the "extra" promo work.  That said it still is wrong as I am sure if asked Chris would do the promo work.  

• Love 1

If it were for another season, but its the last season of a show the production likes to call a phenomenon. As an original cast member, a regular, a lead, and winner of an individual acting award - I'd think they'd want to have Chris in the promos or at least script him in the first "it's been a ride, goodbye"-type videos. I also think if asked he won't say no.

The excuses I've seen so far from writer stans and such is that it's because Glee is trying to keep Kurt's storyline in the final season more "hidden" - which apart from not making sense, is still no reason at all not to feature him reminiscing over the past seasons in the first video they release (provided there are follow ups with the rest of the cast, regular and non)

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1
Matt is probably more "over it" than Chris is, and he's done promo work.

To be honest while I am sure he is I don't think it affected his performance in season 5.  In season 4 it did because I felt he was checked out at times and I also felt like he was more removed from the the show at that point.  

The excuses I've seen so far from writer stans and such is that it's because Glee is trying to keep Kurt's storyline in the final season more "hidden" - which apart from not making sense, is still no reason at all not to feature him reminiscing over the past seasons in the first video they release (provided there are follow ups with the rest of the cast, regular and non)

Well I think that excuse is wrong too.  I simply don't think Mia is out promote Darren at Chris' expense nor that the writer's are trying to keep Kurt's story hidden.  I think it is more along the lines that everyone is coasting and since to me it is obvious Chris is over the whole thing the people doing what little BTS promo work there is simply aren't going to go out of there way to ask a cast member to participate who is obviously ready to roll on from this train wreck.  That is not to say Chris wouldn't do it, if asked.  I am sure he would and let be clear they should ask him but it is to say that all of the production team, including the PR team, is really doing the bare minimum.  

Case in point Amber's ratty ass extensions.  Someone is hair and make-up should have seen how awful those looked and re-done them but it seems they are all at the point of eh, why bother.

Edited by camussie
  • Love 1

I think caracas  and Sara have a point because I keep going back to the bts for Chris' episode. Even if he checked out last season, getting to write an episode about what he wanted for Kurt, and use some favourite veteran actors was not him checked out at all. They interviewed him for the bts then, so he had time for that. The end result is well known.  

Tbh, I don't think them possibly being " over it " has ever affected either of their performances. That's not to say that they 're perfect actors, but I 've never felt like they were phoning it in.

I felt there were times where Matt was coasting in season 4 and honestly I couldn't really blame him because Will was pushed aside more than ever.  As for Chris from about  "Trio" on I felt he was coasting as an actor even in the episode he wrote.  It happens to almost every actor on long running series especially those who have greener pastures to look forward to.  

As for the writing in "Old Dogs, New Tricks" I am record saying I didn't see anything new or exciting about it.  Seemed like the same old formula to me.  Rachel is the wrong one.  Kurt is the morally superior one and as a bonus we got Kurt the wise weighing in on some woman's relationship with her mother and of course her taking his oh so sage advice instead of telling him to mind his own business.  

That said he was very enthusiastic in the BTS for that episode over getting to wear a new hat on Glee - that of writer. And let me repeat if they asked him to do some BTS stuff now I am sure he would do it.  I just think the reason they probably haven't asked is not because of some sort of agenda from Mia regarding Darren vis-a-vis Chris but rather because everyone in the production team is simply doing the very minimum to get through this season.  To me there is plenty of evidence of that from overdone covers to crappy ass extensions to pairing the spares to love triangle re-treads.  

• Love 3

I was not discussing the merits of his episode here. What I meant by Chris writing about what he wanted for Kurt is none of what you mention, some of which I agree with. It's about Kurt and success vs fulfillment. It starts with him bemoaning his lack of success so to speak and comparing himself to the others, but ended with him finding fulfillment not in the kind of success he was chasing, but in the personal joy from just performing with the old folks for one night only. This is what Chris has been driving at in his interviews about what he wants to see for Kurt, and that's what he did.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

The lack of Chris is any of the BTS/promo spots thus far is really puzzling. He is still one of the most recognizable and well regarded actors on the show and a strong fan favorite (evidenced most recently by his write-in nomination for a PCA). I can understand him not being in every spot (even if Lea and Darren are always featured), but to not have him in anything? That is beyond bizarre as far as a business decision goes. When you are desperate to pull eyeballs to your premiere to give the last season some shred of legitimacy, you don't keep one of your biggest guns in lockup.

And I'm gonna call it like I see it... since Darren's girlfriend took over production of the BTS material, she has gone out of her way to focus on Darren to the exclusion of others. I cannot see Chris requesting not to be involved with promotion because that just causes bad feelings and however Chris feels about Glee at this stage, he's always been a total professional which how he's spoken about the show publically. So someone behind the scenes is making the decision to either not film Chris for promotional material, or is just not using the footage that they've shot of Chris.

Frankly, I don't think this is going to upset Chris too much. He's ready to move forward and he's got a lot to look forward to when Glee is done. He doesn't need Glee to promote him at this point, so if he's aware that he's been excluded from most of the promotional material, I don't think he'll do more than shrug and go "Whatever..." But it is an insult to an actor who has been on the show from the very start, won some of the most important individual awards for Glee and is so well regarded by the industry to be sidelined. The overwhelming focus on RIB's pets is just another symptom of the poor decisions that have sunk Glee.

• Love 1
So someone behind the scenes is making the decision to either not film Chris for promotional material, or is just not using the footage that they've shot of Chris.

One would think that because Mia Swier is Darren's girlfriend she would be savvy enough to realize that blatant bias doesn't put her in a good light nor position her as being professionally objective enough to work with the best interest of Glee as a whole.   Certainly she can't be that stupid to "accidentally" overlook filming ANY  promo interviews/BTS video of Chris Colfer.  So since I give her intelligence the benefit of the doubt;  it's her integrity and professionalism  that more logically takes a hit.

As to not involving Chris due to his "poor" acting and so apparently  "over" the show, I would say the promos/bts would be nothing but white noise if that was the criteria equally across the cast.

Edited by caracas1914

One would think that because Mia Swier is Darren's girlfriend she would be savvy enough to realize that blatant bias doesn't put her in a good light nor position her as being professionally objective enough to work with the best interest of Glee as a whole.   Certainly she can't be that stupid to "accidentally" overlook filming ANY  promo interviews/BTS video of Chris Colfer.  So since I give her intelligence the benefit of the doubt;  it's her integrity and professionalism  that more logically takes a hit.

I still cannot ignore the BTS she arranged for ODNT. That Chris barely appeared in a promo for an episode that he fucking wrote and centered on his character, and what we got was Darren blathering about what he would do if he got to write an episode (not fucking likely). Oh, and then there was that "charming" bit where Darren joked how it was understandable that he might be mistaken for a Golden Globe winner (not in this fucking lifetime, buttercup).

I tried to give Mia the benefit of the doubt, because she takes a lot of shit from the fandom (especially the Crisscolfer mouthbreathers), but it's becoming obvious that she is using her position to promote her boyfriend. And given that he can't hold a candle to Chris in regards to acting ability and critical respect, the only thing she can do is avoid having Chris featured as much as she can get away with. It's highly unprofessional and I'm going to wonder what her work prospects will be after Glee wraps for good next month. Because if Darren doesn't land a new gig soon, the job of his chief PR person on set is not going to be too lucrative. It's just a shame that her bosses at FOX just don't give a crap at this stage since they're expecting a total crash and burn this season. And it's fortunate that Chris is probably too much a professional to complain at this stage, or at least has the good sense to recognize that it's not worth making waves over getting focus to promote a DOA show when he's got so much on his plate in the coming months.

• Love 1
I simply don't think Mia is out promote Darren at Chris' expense nor that the writer's are trying to keep Kurt's story hidden.  I think it is more along the lines that everyone is coasting and since to me it is obvious Chris is over the whole thing the people doing what little BTS promo work there is simply aren't going to go out of there way to ask a cast member to participate who is obviously ready to roll on from this train wreck.

BTS : Chris we need to schedule a BTS interview to promote the show.

Chris :  OK

How is that possible scenario someone going out of their way if that is essentially their job?  if anything it seems Chris is cooperative with  the crew of  Glee from all  account these last five plus years.  Kalen, the previous BTS/ PR person, certainly raves about his cooperative nature.

For comparison, Chris has never openly voiced he has forced tenure on the show as Matt Morrison has implied on several pointed answers in interviews.  Yet even Matt willingly does BTS work for Glee, like any professional.

Apparently Chris has participated in the BTS and promo Glee requested of him in the five previous seasons.  Genuinely puzzled how the lack of Chris  this year puts  the onus on HIM as if he is somehow responsible for the lack of   BTS/promo.   Don't understand the reasoning that it's his fault and that somehow he has the clout to keep people away from him for BTS and promos because of his lack of cooperation.

The BTS person, Mia Swier  is however responsible for the BTS footage, don't see how the logical correlation that the onus falls on HER because it is her actual  job  and Not Chris's  is somehow suspect.  

simply don't think Mia is out promote Darren at Chris' expense

Again, that at whose expense is it coming at? 

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

Fact is Darren is not only all over the promotional stuff for Glee, but he's also in other Fox spots such as the veterans video, the Bones 200 episode video, the holiday countdown. Seems he's the most used of all Glee cast for anything recently. Contrast this with Chris being the only Glee lead and regular nowhere to be found in promo / bts / non-Glee spots so far this season, apart from the obligatory cast photos. I'm sure he will be somewhere at some point, but we'll see when and how often. 

I can only speculate if it's due to anyone else than FSO  - such as Glee production, or Fox development in view of some development deal for Darren. But FSO is involved in all these spots and Mia is definitely a huge factor as a producer who can pitch content, decide the edit, etc. decisions she can be involved in. Chris has shown up for Glee promos previously, and was present for the new cast photos; he has been present on set regularly so availability isn't an issue. I don't believe the onus is on him about his non-appearance, including FSO tiptoeing around him because he may be checked out. 

The contrast in the use of Chris and Darren isn't a new development for this season, it's been noticed and mentioned before.

Edited by fakeempress

I'm not going to hold my breath about a development deal for Darren at FOX. Whatever ratings bait he was has long since faded. I don't think that it's any accident that Glee's ratings went completely into the toilet when the proven talents (Lea, Matt, Chris, Naya and Cory) got sidelined in favor of Darren, Chord, and to a lesser degree Jenna (along with the noobs). I don't think that Darren has shown that he is capable of carrying a show (since that seemed to be what season four was testing) or that there is that huge audience for him.

What Darren does have is a very active PR team that puts him out at every event, special and promotional venue they can squeeze him into, so I'm not totally surprised that Darren pops up in these spots. How much of this is going to last after Glee ends is a big question (and is going to hinge on what projects he might have lined up). Darren might continue to get heavily featured, or he can vanish once his last claim to relevancy ends with Glee going off the air.

The four actors conspicuous for their absence in any BTS promos/interviews are Chris, Heather, Naya and Kevin. All four are veterans from Season one. If not mistaken, 3 of the 4 shot the Glee pilot, along with Jenna.

Heather is on the record as disliking participating in BTS stuff. The prior BTS PR person, Kalen, said Heather would request not to do them. Naya apparently was limited to 4 episodes for the season and along with Heather is through for the season, though they did use her for the s6 photo shoot.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't used Kevin at all, granted he's not a lead character ( and apparently has no real SL for the last season) but Kevin has a way in front of the camera, being a host of TV and radio shows himself he has a knack with this kind of PR stuff and he was literally around since the pilot, at one point having the longest consecutive streak of appearances on the show.

Edited by caracas1914

I'm not going to hold my breath about a development deal for Darren at FOX. Whatever ratings bait he was has long since faded. I don't think that it's any accident that Glee's ratings went completely into the toilet when the proven talents (Lea, Matt, Chris, Naya and Cory) got sidelined in favor of Darren, Chord, and to a lesser degree Jenna (along with the noobs). I don't think that Darren has shown that he is capable of carrying a show (since that seemed to be what season four was testing) or that there is that huge audience for him.

What Darren does have is a very active PR team that puts him out at every event, special and promotional venue they can squeeze him into, so I'm not totally surprised that Darren pops up in these spots. How much of this is going to last after Glee ends is a big question (and is going to hinge on what projects he might have lined up). Darren might continue to get heavily featured, or he can vanish once his last claim to relevancy ends with Glee going off the air.

This won't matter as much as you imagine, if Development see potential for a new vehicle. Glee ratings have had a falling trend since S2. We've been over the reasons for that, it starts with the writing, the repeated storylines, the split, the focus on the newbies, Blam, etc., it's not on one thing. 

I can think of at least one example - Alex O'Loughlin. He was a lead on a CBS show called Moonlight, which was cancelled after the first season, but after cancellation CBS signed him to a development deal. Then they first cast him as a lead in Three Rivers, which also failed in the first season, yet CBS still cast him next as a lead in the Hawaii Five-O remake, which was finally successful. You see that the network will try several times even, if they think someone can anchor a successful series. I'm not saying this is the case with Darren, but I wouldn't exclude it just based on the Glee ratings. If he's not getting good offers for movies, his recording career is under question, and a Broadway show isn't scrambling to cast him despite the obvious push for that, then he may be interested in a TV career if there is an offer from a network.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't used Kevin at all, granted he's not a lead character ( and apparently has no real SL for the last season) but Kevin has a way in front of the camera, being a host of TV and radio shows himself he has a knack with this kind of PR stuff and he was literally around since the pilot, at one point having the longest consecutive streak of appearances on the show.

I'm not surprised, they either cut him out or didn't even photoshop him in case he wasn't available, in this Season Five-NY promo. I don't think they care for him or Artie at all, and it shows in his storylines -- what there is of them, It's funny how Amber is front and centre, this was after she won DWTS and they gave Mercedes a bigger story for the NY arc.

tumblr_n3bpasGHzS1r4ezfzo1_500.png

Edited by fakeempress