Type keyword(s) to search

Let's try to market this: media, articles and interviews

caracas1914

(edited)

Not with those showrunners. Brad practically conceded in an interview that they find doing multiple seasons of a show an insurmountable hurdle.

Ryan saying he was initially through with networks is a laugh, HBO turned him down and Ryan ( understandably) will go with whoever gets him a deal.

Edited by caracas1914
  • Love 1

The Broadway.com's review of the premiere, they never disappoint with their Darren salivating.
http://m.bwwmusicworld.com/article/SOUND-OFF-Let-It-GLEE-The-Highs-The-Lows-Of-The-Final-Season-Premiere-20150109

"Nonetheless, the true emotional centerpiece of the first section of the premiere episode, "Loser Like Me" - written by series creators Ryan Murphy, Ian Brennan and Brad Falchuk, directed by Bradley Buecker -  resided in the lovely Ohio reunion of former roommates and NYADA attendees Rachel and Blaine (Darren Criss) -especially their sumptuous and exciting duet in the form of up-by-the-bootstraps musical theatre mainstay "Suddenly Seymour" from beloved Alan Menken/Howard Ashman musical comedy LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS. And, just as suddenly, GLEE reminded us why it has held our attention and hearts for six seasons and 110 episodes thus far. Without any doubt, the combination of Michele and Criss is magical, particularly when performing emotionally oversized Broadway classics."

"the DayGlo neon, animation-flecked rendition of 80s camp classic "Take On Me" (A-ha) proved to be suitable fodder for fun and frolics, if somewhat underwhelming as the first song of the new season to bring the majority of the original New Directions together in song. So goes the song selection of the premiere episodes in general - "Mustang Sally", "Take On Me" and "Dance The Night Away" were admittedly weak selections when we consider the songstacks of premiere episodes in seasons passed (remember last season began with The Beatles?). The filler was outbalanced by the aforementioned strong showings of "Let It Go", "Sing" and "Suddenly Seymour", though the new cast members unquestionably made the most of their performance showcases, especially "Tightrope"."

And this is their take on the post-modern gay, cue "masculine" in 5-4-3...:

"Conversely, Marshall Williams is a confidant, masculine and athletic new addition to the series - and his character, Spencer, just happens to be gay as opposed to identifying himself by his sexuality first and foremost. As he sagely points out to Kurt, it is a demarcating sign of the times - and emblematic of the generation gap that already exists between those who have graduated high school and those who have just entered it. In just the last six years, gay marriage has gone from legal in only a handful of states to being legalized in the majority of America - and society mirrors that appreciable acceptance."

Broadway.com raved about "Piece of my Heart" last year, nuff said.

FOX did market Glee during Empire's premiere last week , I suspect that was probably the last gasp as far as network pushing the show with major prom.

PaleyFest is throwing a going-away party for Glee.

The Paley Center for Media has unveiled its full PaleyFest 2015 slate, and a panel featuring the cast and producers of Fox’s seminal musical-dramedy is set for Friday, March 13 — exactly one week before the show’s March 20 series finale.

Just read this on THR feed. I can't wait to read the bullshit that will come out of RIB's mouth to sell the shit they've written. And those poor actors - will be interesting to see how they try to not pretend they hate every single one of those storylines.

Except Matt and probably Chris.

Yeah, depending on the schedule of their projects. I think if Chris is already over-sea, he won't make it. But Matt is going to be in NY, he might be able to fly over and make it. 

Yeah, depending on the schedule of their projects. I think if Chris is already over-sea, he won't make it. But Matt is going to be in NY, he might be able to fly over and make it.

Previews for " Finding Neverland" start 2 days after the event. No way is he going to be there IMO.

Previews for " Finding Neverland" start 2 days after the event. No way is he going to be there IMO.

That is way to close to Matt's opening to be worrying about a Q&A for glee.

You are most likely right. I didn't know it was that close.

Agree that Chris and Matt are likely to be no shows. The Noel Coward Film is supposed to start production in March so odds are that Chris will be heading for England shortly after filming ends. As others said, previews for Finding Neverland start two days later and Matt would have to be on his deathbed to miss that. And frankly, with what's been done to the show and their characters, I doubt that the two of them will be shedding any tears that they'll miss the wake... sorry... festivities.

"Celebrating" Glee, at this point, is a joke. The show is limping into oblivion as an embarrassment and throwing a party to celebrate Glee's importance (which faded three seasons ago) is beyond laughable. How any of the cast will be able to appear with a straight face is beyond me.

• Love 1

Like a chance to be the young one on another dying show? I wonder if Naya is not getting other opportunities if the View is the best she can do.

I agree even if the show is a mess the all have doors open for them they probably wouldn't have if not for the exposure from Glee.

Lol, I can already picture RIB receiving with saint-like smiles the elaborate praise for their LGBTQIA+ storylines and positive representation of queer characters, Ryan with his hands placed in front of him as if he's praying or deeply contemplating one last groundbreaking PSA on the show before it finally is put out of its misery.

• Love 1

Like a chance to be the young one on another dying show? I wonder if Naya is not getting other opportunities if the View is the best she can do.

Realistically, it's going to be a lot more difficult for Naya to score acting jobs, due to her ethnicity, as opposed to someone like Heather, who's arguably not as good of an actress, but is blonde and white.

• Love 7

I agree even if the show is a mess the all have doors open for them they probably wouldn't have if not for the exposure from Glee.

Even the actors who have been the most critical of " Glee" seem to be grateful for it over all.

• Love 3

They can do that but also realistically see that the show has been a joke for awhile now.

I get that but I dislike the implied notion that they are idiots if they still have any association with  glee.   Seen it  before even if they tweet about glee.

Edited by tom87

Oh come on now.  Yes the show went off the rails and burned out ridiculously fast, but these actors know that they wouldn't be where they are without the show.  The show opened up doors for them they would not have had otherwise, and trust me, they're grateful for it.  And truly, if they all stay in entertainment, anyone of them will be lucky to be a part of something with the level of success early Glee achieved.

It's not that big a deal to do a final farewell panel.  Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Edited by dizzyizzy01
  • Love 4

Ok but I don't think that anyone is going to judge Chris, Matt or any of the other cast for not attending if they have genuine work commitments elsewhere.

Glee will be associated with theses actors for the rest of their careers. Michele Williams still speaks about dawsons creek today with fondness after moving on to a fantastic movie career that includes 3 Oscar nominations. There is going to be plenty of opportunities ahead for them to speak about their time on the show.

Ok but I don't think that anyone is going to judge Chris, Matt or any of the other cast for not attending if they have genuine work commitments elsewhere.

That isn't what is being questioned or judged. It is some who  seemingly judge the cast that do continue to promote glee.

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Oh come on now.  Yes the show went off the rails and burned out ridiculously fast, but these actors know that they wouldn't be where they are without the show.  The show opened up doors for them they would not have had otherwise, and trust me, they're grateful for it.  And truly, if they all stay in entertainment, anyone of them will be lucky to be a part of something with the level of success early Glee achieved.

It's not that big a deal to do a final farewell panel.  Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

I agree. They don't have the same perspective the bitter (ex)fans have. They may have their own internal conflicts (Lea-Naya-Brad, etc.) but even the more disillusioned from the young cast can see how they may not be where they are, if not for the show. It's a hard business.

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 2

Glee will be associated with theses actors for the rest of their careers. Michele Williams still speaks about dawsons creek today with fondness after moving on to a fantastic movie career that includes 3 Oscar nominations. There is going to be plenty of opportunities ahead for them to speak about their time on the show.

Nobody's going to judge them if they have prior commitments.  It bothers me when people complain about actors continuing to show support or appreciation for something that in totality really was a pretty fantastic job.

• Love 2

A few sites and publications have interviews with Dot about 603 and the trans story. She makes it clear to AfterEllen she wasn't an immediate fan of this story happening to Beiste.

AE: Did it make sense to you, for Beiste to go this direction?

DMJ: At first, no. But again, I’m just doing my work. I took it on and was like OK, I’m going to kick-ass on it and do everything I can to do it justice.

http://www.afterellen.com/tv/410053-dot-marie-jones-making-trans-community-proud-glee

Edited by fakeempress
  • Love 1

The storyline would not have been such a problem if the idiot writers hadn't been the ones to have a whole episode some seasons ago addressing the fact that Bieste, despite how the outside world sees and thinks of her, very much feels like and sees herself as a woman. So to just completely ignore that and act like the audience are idiots or I guess hope they have complete amnesia about it, is really freaking annoying.

And this is also why this just feels like another gimmick and stunt rather than wanting to tell a genuine story about a transgender character. I don't care if the kid playing Unique is not the greatest actor. When they decided to go there, if they were genuine about telling an honest, well thought out story about this, they should have gone with the character they themselves spent two seasons making it clear that she doesn't feel like she was born in the right body. 

And this is what bugs me about the PaleyFest thing because this is the kind of shit I want to see them be taken to task for and someone intelligently challenge them on but I don't think anyone will. And I definitely think it will be a complete waste of time if no one asks them about that Blaine/Karofksy shit and clearly spell out how do they justify having Blaine date someone who emotionally and physically abused and tortured the person he claims to love and their not having anyone truly address it and call it out on the show itself. But again, I doubt anyone will. It will be a bunch of superficial shit, so Ryan Murphy can talk out of his ass about all their so called brilliant storytelling.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 5

I guess I am over all that stuff.

What point would there be to take them to task?  It won't change anything. I have no need to embarrass the cast of crew of glee.   Even though it disappointed me  I don't need to see them get embarrassed . They all still worked hard on it and I think they mostly tried to do their best. 

Let them celebrate the good parts of the show. It obviously meant something to oleo who still post here or they would have left the show long ago.

Edited by tom87

Just to be clear, I'm not saying anyone needs to be angry and verbally attack the writers. However and to be fair, maybe I'm the one mistaken, but I've always thought Paleyfest while fun and positive, is also a time where the show runners and cast on some level, get questioned about things happening on the show and the characters, etc.

For example, certainly not as bad, but I remember some seasons ago, when they had a panel and the moderator made some snarky comment about whether Burt or Carol had won some lottery because this was after we'd seen the new home set for Kurt and Burt. Just like Julie Plec and Caroline Dries have been questioned about a lot of the stuff on The Vampire Diaries but I guess I understand the point "what does it matter, the show is ending, give them a farewell." The problem though is that again, they and their shitty writing ruined what could have been a decent send off for the show by still sucking. 

So what do they talk about - how good the show is, it's not. Talk about Bieste's awesome transgender story, well as I noted, there are obvious and really crappy problems with it; the relationships - what the bad idea of two teenage marriages and one with two guys who couldn't live together and kept breaking up constantly; the new characters that no one will really even truly get to know considering they showed up when the show was ready to be wrapped up, etc?

Honestly this is why I was quite baffled to read the news on THR twitter feed that they were even getting a panel. I mean I guess I can see it as a "well the show did matter once upon a time, it's ending so let's give them a farewell..." And I guess they can spend the time just reminiscing on what it once was and meant to people at some point.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I know this will be an unpopular opinion, but as problematic as this show was at times (and boy were there problems), it really was groundbreaking in a lot of ways.  I can see why Paley is doing one last panel for the show. It really did pioneer a TV musical model for the 21st century. It had a diverse cast (I know the way they wrote characters was problematic).  When is the last time a prime time network show geared towards a young audience featured any African American, Hispanic, and Asian American actors in a meaningful way, had prominent gay & lesbian characters, transgender characters?  The portrayals weren't always great.  However, the show at the very least started more mainstream dialogue on a lot of these things, and I think on some ways made it more OK for other network television shows to follow suit.  

I'll be first to say that the show's writing left A LOT to be desired.  There were significant problems in the way some story lines and characters were portrayed, but there is something to be proud of here.  It was a cultural phenomenon.  I'm not saying it was the only reason the TV landscape has changed significantly in the last few years, but you can't say it didn't contribute.

• Love 3
Asian American actors in a meaningful way

If "meaningful" is the standard, I'm not sure Glee achieved that with its Asian American characters, either.

I will give credit to Glee for being groundbreaking in certain areas with respect to GLBT representation.

If "meaningful" is the standard, I'm not sure Glee achieved that with its Asian American characters, either.

Any minority actually. Black, Hispanic, Asian, were either sidelined, made to play racist stereotypes, or they ignored the fact the character wasn't white.

• Love 4

I mean they weren't leads, but Jenna got some pretty standout moments in S1.  The vampire thing comes to mind.  Mike got a major story line in s2.  It wasn't perfect by any means and diversity in entertainment still has a long way to go.  It's still more than a lot of shows had done in recent years. Not perfect by any means mind you, but it's a step in the right direction even if it was a small one.

I mean they weren't leads, but Jenna got some pretty standout moments in S1.  The vampire thing comes to mind.  Mike got a major story line in s2.  It wasn't perfect by any means and diversity in entertainment still has a long way to go.  It's still more than a lot of shows had done in recent years. Not perfect by any means mind you, but it's a step in the right direction even if it was a small one.

Mike's 'major' storyline last 3 episodes. And Jenna's been shot upon by the writers at every turn and had every chance at a shining moment cut. That's on top of regularly calling her fat.

A supporting character is a character in a narrative that is not focused on by the primary storyline. Sometimes supporting characters may develop a complex back-story of their own, but this is usually in relation to the main character, rather than entirely independently.

I think the proof of Glee's impact is no better expressed than to take a look around this forum. If Glee hadn't impacted us in some way, in the early seasons, I doubt any of us would still be around. Whether it was because we identified with being an underdog, an outcast, a minority, LGBTQ, show choir, or whatever, Glee must have impacted us in some way, to such a degree that we're still here posting, even after years of shitty writing.

• Love 7

A supporting character is a character in a narrative that is not focused on by the primary storyline. Sometimes supporting characters may develop a complex back-story of their own, but this is usually in relation to the main character, rather than entirely independently.

That's fair enough, but those in charge of Glee want to pat themselves on the back for diversity when in truth almost every minority character was there to support the story of a white person.

• Love 3
Mike's 'major' storyline last 3 episodes. And Jenna's been shot upon by the writers at every turn and had every chance at a shining moment cut. That's on top of regularly calling her fat.

Again, I didn't say the portrayals were always great.  There were a lot of problems in the writing for the show for soooo many reasons.  But if you knew the vast amount of casting notices that go around that just say "white/Caucasian", it was still pretty cool that a major network television show cast a couple of unknown Asian American actors.  

Diversity in entertainment is still severely lacking, but I don't think it hurts to recognize that Glee made some small steps in the right direction.  There's obviously still a lot of room for improvement.

Edited by dizzyizzy01
  • Love 2

Of course they could have done a lot better.   And I do not want to dismiss the very real problem of underrepresentation  and act like everything is ok in tvland becasue of a couple of characters on glee.  But I also do not think it is right to dimiss the roles they played as supporting characters and that representation because every show needs that support  for whatever characters happens to be the leads. 

Edited by tom87
  • Love 1

Of course they could have done a lot better.   And I do not want to dismiss the very real problem of underrepresentation  and act like everything is ok in tvland becasue of a couple of characters on glee.  But I also do not think it is right to dimiss the roles they played as supporting characters and that representation because ever show needs that support  for whatever characters happens to be the leads.

My problem is this respect isn't the roles themselves, it's that the creators of glee like to say how wonderful and diverse they are, but the biggest heroes on the show are straight/straight acting white men.

There's an article I think it maybe in this thread somewhere, and it describes Glee as collecting GLAAD awards with one hand while being homophobic, biphobic and transphobic with the other. The same is true for race and gender. The creators of glee think that diversity gives them a shield to be offensive.

But you are right without this show I would never have seen Jenna Uskowitz or Harry Shum, and the exposure all the actors have had has been great.

No one is arguing  that point though.  No one is disagreeing. 

Some people are just trying to appreciate what these characters did bring to the show.

Edited by tom87

And I just don't think that Tina and Mike really brought much to the show, at least in terms of meaningful Asian representation, and I'm not going to applaud Glee for that. Oh okay, Tina had a fake stutter and went through a goth phase. Great.

I'm Asian and when I look for representation of Asians in the media, Glee isn't even on my radar. I look at shows like Nikita, Agents of SHIELD, Elementary, Pretty Little Liars. Not all of them great shows - I got bored with AoS and PLL is a hot mess - but at least the Asian characters in those shows are leads and not treated as sidepieces for the white characters. There was nothing revolutionary or groundbreaking about Glee having a couple of Asian characters as sidekicks and using them for cheap jokes about what it means to be Asian and having the same last name and what-have-you. 

Even Teen Wolf, which can be a mess in its own right when it comes to race, treated Kira with more dignity than Glee does its Asian characters.

because every show needs that support  for whatever characters happens to be the leads.

Sure, all lead characters need to be supported by a supporting cast. No one's disputing that Tina and Mike were meant to be supporting players. What I am disputing is the implication that Glee was in any way groundbreaking for putting in a couple of Asian bit players as part of the supporting roster for the white leads. 

ETA: Also, I just wanted to clarify that while I'm singling out Glee for its treatment of Tina and Mike, that shouldn't be taken as endorsement of its depiction of non-Asian POC characters. It's just that I feel more qualified to talk about Asian representation on Glee since that's the one I have a personal connection with. In a more abstract sense, I do think that Glee's treatment of racial minorities in general could be troublesome, but there's so much of Glee that I've blocked out (lol), especially in recent seasons, that I don't feel comfortable talking about the specifics of how characters like Mercedes and Santana were treated.

ETA 2: And I refuse to give Glee credit for introducing me to Harry Shum, Jr.! Credit for that goes to the movie Step Up 2 the Streets, thank you very much! ;)

Edited by galax-arena
  • Love 3

And I just don't think that Tina and Mike really brought much to the show, at least in terms of meaningful Asian representation, and I'm not going to applaud Glee for that. Oh okay, Tina had a fake stutter and went through a goth phase. Great.

I'm Asian and when I look for representation of Asians in the media, Glee isn't even on my radar. I look at shows like Nikita, Agents of SHIELD, Elementary, Pretty Little Liars. Not all of them great shows - I got bored with AoS and PLL is a hot mess - but at least the Asian characters in those shows are leads and not treated as sidepieces for the white characters. There was nothing revolutionary or groundbreaking about Glee having a couple of Asian characters as sidekicks and using them for cheap jokes about what it means to be Asian and having the same last name and what-have-you. 

Even Teen Wolf, which can be a mess in its own right when it comes to race, treated Kira with more dignity than Glee does its Asian characters.

Sure, all lead characters need to be supported by a supporting cast. No one's disputing that Tina and Mike were meant to be supporting players. What I am disputing is the implication that Glee was in any way groundbreaking for putting in a couple of Asian bit players as part of the supporting roster for the white leads. 

I'm not saying Glee is perfect or did everything right or even groundbreaking for just casting two Asian American Actors.  I'm saying Glee as a whole was pretty groundbreaking for a combination of things including a pretty diverse cast.  

BTW, the shows you listed all premiered after Glee hit the airwaves.  I don't think Glee was necessarily the catalyst for all those casting choices on those shows, but I think Glee did have a hand in changing the current TV landscape.