Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

So, I wonder what Cersei has planned for Dany...

“If it’s the Dragon Queen she’s after…”

“She has other plans for the Targaryen girl…”

I would think Tyrion was upto something here if it was not for Bronn being hired to kill him.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, anamika said:

So, I wonder what Cersei has planned for Dany...

I hope I'll never get to know. Like Margaery's grand plan.

But it seems to imply that if she has a target, it's Dany and not Sansa. More fleaks officially fleaks, then.

2 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

I hope I'll never get to know. Like Margaery's grand plan.

But it seems to imply that if she has a target, it's Dany and not Sansa. More fleaks officially fleaks, then.

That’s not possible. Don’t you know that Sansa is the Star!!!! She is the princess that was promised, the bride of ice to Jon’s fire, she will bear light-bringer, she is the Queen, the destiny, the one that will unite NATIONS????!!!

Edited by GraceK
  • LOL 3

Hmm, after watching the promo I wonder if the Dany/Jaime stuff is going to be a bit of a bluff?  Like, Dany starts out talking about what Viserys told her about the Jaime/Aerys situation, then flips it by saying that she's since learned her father was an evil man etc.?  Of course, given Jaime shows up without any Lannister soldiers perhaps no one will be falling over themselves to absolve him of past actions, especially if Bran drop the window!bomb lol.

Also, Dany was told a few times that she needs to earn the Northerners trust, so it seems likely this whole situation will play out as expected, with everyone hating her until the battle in ep 3.

Finally, this episode laid the perfect groundwork for Bronn to have a darkly comedic ending.  He finally gets his castle, then promptly dies of the pox.

• Love 6

I wonder how Dany is going to take the news about Jon. I hope he tells her soon instead of resorting to the old trope of him keeping the secret and pulling away from her leaving her confused and hurt. Say what you want about Dany, but Jon is the first guy she really seems to love without an agenda. She loved Drogo but that was created out of survival and necessity, Dario was just sex. And even though Jon is getting crap for bending the knee, Dany should get some credit for relenting and being willing to team up with him against the Night King -- even though it took Viserion's death for her to really get to that point. 

• Love 4

I thought that Alys Karstark's hair was noticeably redder than last season, and styled differently...more like Sansa's, whereas as far as I recall it seemed looser on her shoulders, before.

Could it explain Sophie's comment about "a braid" leading people to guess spoilers?

I don't know if it was a lucky guess or real info, but I tend to believe that Alys Karstark will die and her body will be briefly mistaken for Sansa's.

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, bubble sparkly said:

Hmm, after watching the promo I wonder if the Dany/Jaime stuff is going to be a bit of a bluff?  Like, Dany starts out talking about what Viserys told her about the Jaime/Aerys situation, then flips it by saying that she's since learned her father was an evil man etc.?  Of course, given Jaime shows up without any Lannister soldiers perhaps no one will be falling over themselves to absolve him of past actions, especially if Bran drop the window!bomb lol.

Also, Dany was told a few times that she needs to earn the Northerners trust, so it seems likely this whole situation will play out as expected, with everyone hating her until the battle in ep 3.

ITA. Dany isn't going to do anything to Jaime. She has never held people responsible for their parents' sins and she has long accepted the truth about her father's madness from Ser Barristan. Of course, this will anger the Northeners and leave all fans who dislike her even more furious.

I saw that Jorah is holding a sword. It must be the Tarley sword. 

I wonder about Bronn. I can't see him hanging around KL until episode six. He most likely will head out to find Jaime and Tyrion and warn them.

Too bad we won't be getting any more spoilers from Friki.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

ITA. Dany isn't going to do anything to Jaime. She has never held people responsible for their parents' sins and she has long accepted the truth about her father's madness from Ser Barristan. Of course, this will anger the Northeners and leave all fans who dislike her even more furious.

I saw that Jorah is holding a sword. It must be the Tarley sword. 

I wonder about Bronn. I can't see him hanging around KL until episode six. He most likely will head out to find Jaime and Tyrion and warn them.

Too bad we won't be getting any more spoilers from Friki.

I think Dany is going to be angrier at Tyrion for being wrong about Cersei than at Jaime. There was a brief shot in the 8x02 promo of Dany walking away with Tyrion looking upset, and of course Dany saying "he" (presumably Tyrion) never should have trusted Cersei.

Sam giving (lending?) Heartsbane to Jorah would be more touching if I didn't think Jorah was going to die in 8x03.

• Love 3
21 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Sam giving (lending?) Heartsbane to Jorah would be more touching if I didn't think Jorah was going to die in 8x03.

You think Jorah is dying so soon? Argh, I need to brace myself. He has barely been given anything to do this season. 

Do you still think that the Golden Company attack is happening? I am not so sure.

Is it possible that Dany will dismiss Tyrion in E2? That he won't be her Hand anymore?

Since Davos said that it would be the best for Westeros if Dany and Jon ruled at the end, I think there is no way that will happen. No way they will just say it, it that's the endgame. 

• Love 5
26 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Oh yeah, good point that Dany "forgiving" Jaime would likely anger the Northerners even more.  Certainly, Sansa and Arya might be even more pissed if the whole Bran thing comes out.  Jon would potentially let it be for the time being due to the AoTD, although who knows what his mood is going to be like next ep.

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, SimoneS said:

Re-watching the preview, Sansa is telling Dany that she should not have trusted Cersei either.

It's a safe bet from the 8x02 promo that Jaime spills the beans about Cersei's true intentions and Dany goes nuclear on Tyrion: there's that shot of Dany angrily stalking away with Tyrion looking upset and Dany telling Sansa that Tyrion never should have trusted Cersei. I think Tyrion has more to worry about at the moment from Dany than Jaime.

I think 8x02 covers the progression from day to night. Scenes like the big great hall meeting and the Sansa/Dany scene (as well as Dany and Jon in the crypts) are from earlier in the episode, and the night scenes on the battlements and on the ground are from near the end of the episode. So here are the scenes we know about, more or less in the order I expect:

1. Dany with Jon in the crypts. (Judging from Dany's coat, I'm guessing it's from earlier in the episode.)

2. Great hall meeting with Jaime and everyone, where Jaime spills the beans about Cersei's true intentions.

3. Dany stalks away angrily from Tyrion after the meeting, with Jorah and Varys looking awkward in the background.

4. Sansa/Dany meeting, where Dany says Tyrion never should have trusted Cersei. 

5. Tormund arrives at Winterfell, informs Jon that the dead are coming. (I'm guessing this is after the great hall meeting, since Tormund doesn't seem to be there.)

6. Arya picks up her completed weapon from Gendry, says her little bit about looking forward to seeing this face of death.

7. Everyone hangs out on the battlements (from the trailers, stills and promos, it's Jon, Dolorous Edd, Sam, Arya, Sansa, Davos, and Tyrion for starters) or on the ground (Jorah, Grey Worm, Missandei, Pod, Brienne, etc.) waiting for the NK to arrive.

There are two shots from the S8 trailer that are probably in 8x02: Sansa looking out at something at 1:25 of the trailer (wearing her 8x02 outfit), and the one shot of Tyrion looking up sadly at someone or something at 1:28 of the trailer (wearing the same outfit he's wearing in the 8x02 promo).

...And that's not even getting into things we can reasonably assume will happen like the Jaime/Brienne reunion, Theon arriving with the Ironborn (assuming that doesn't happen during the battle itself), etc.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 3
27 minutes ago, nikma said:

Since Davos said that it would be the best for Westeros if Dany and Jon ruled at the end, I think there is no way that will happen. No way they will just say it, it that's the endgame. 

I think they are setting up for Jon/Dany to leave Westeros. The comment about the Waterfalls from Dany and Arya of all people making Jon question whether he belonged to the Stark family - and this is even before his parentage reveal.

So yeah, I agree. I don't think Westeros wants a just woman and a honorable man ruling them.

On that note, Tyrion mentioning that 'Lady of Winterfell' has a nice ring to it, could equally imply that Sansa is not going to be in that position at the end either.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, anamika said:

I think they are setting up for Jon/Dany to leave Westeros.

Agree. I think either Stark children or some kind of council will rule at the end.

There was a reason why the last book was titled "A Time for Wolves".

Edited by nikma
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, anamika said:

I think they are setting up for Jon/Dany to leave Westeros. The comment about the Waterfalls from Dany and Arya of all people making Jon question whether he belonged to the Stark family - and this is even before his parentage reveal.

So yeah, I agree. I don't think Westeros wants a just woman and a honorable man ruling them.

At this rate, I don't think Westeros deserves either of them. Let Dany and Jon find a house with a red door somewhere and let these assholes fend for themselves.

On that note, Tyrion mentioning that 'Lady of Winterfell' has a nice ring to it, could equally imply that Sansa is not going to be in that position at the end either.

I agree.

37 minutes ago, nikma said:

Is it possible that Dany will dismiss Tyrion in E2? That he won't be her Hand anymore?

I think Dany's going to be furious with Tyrion, but I don't know what form that will take.

Re: a Targ restoration endgame: a good point, and I thought the same thing. They wouldn't just come out and say it if that is what's going to happen.

34 minutes ago, nikma said:

Cogman is much better writer than Hill. Even that one Dany's line from E2 promo shows that. Hill is really nothing special. I'm glad we've done with him,

It bothers me that they entrusted an episode with so many crucial scenes to Hill, but I guess they figured on some level that 8x01 was where he could do the least damage. I am really looking forward to Cogman's episode, though.

• Love 5

I am torn between thinking Dany and Jon will run away and live near their waterfall etc., or they will rule together.  They seemed to be trying to make an Important Point with Sam's waffle about whether Dany would be willing to give up the throne.  It could be hinting to the GTFO of Westeros ending, or it could just be a hint that Dany will indeed have the opportunity to take the throne later in the season but she will destroy it instead and propose a joint rule with Jon.

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Let Dany and Jon find a house with a red door somewhere and let these assholes fend for themselves.

But I think they won't leave Westeros angry at everyone. They will be like - we've done our job, the weel is broken, there is not IT anymore, maybe even no monarchy at all, so we are leaving.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I would love it if her little dialogue in the trailer was actually her telling the Northerners how she grew up hating Jaime but won't punish him because he did the right thing, and her father was evil. Maybe a couple of them could open their eyes and see she isn't the bloodthirsty Targ Reaper they fear.

I have no idea how Arya is going to react, if at all, to Jaime. She (thankfully) didn't intervene directly in the political storyline so far. She saw him insult Walder Frey in 6x10, she could have killed him and she obviously decided against it. We have images of Jaime fighting so she clearly doesn't execute him or poison him in his sleep before the battle. Maybe she considers that if Bran doesn't want him dead, then ok. Hopefully, Jaime in WF means Brienne wallflowering will be limited to 8x01.

I'm surprised there was no confrontation scene between Jon and Daenerys in the 8x02 trailer, to hype the drama. She looks sad in the crypts, surely she knows by then?

I've always thought that J&D leaving was a big possibility and everything seems to go in this direction. I just don't know if it will be the Dark Knight or the Dark Knight Rises version re: their reputation in Westeros. If Jon at least is present at Tyrion's trial, people won't believe him killed in battle so they might just say byeee and not be believed dead.

Edit: About Davos mentioning Jon and Dany ruling, it's a show that had Bronn describe the exact way the Mountain vs the Viper fight was going to happen, in the previous episode. Nobody is certain there could be such a "happy Targ restoration" right now, so who knows? LOL

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 1
(edited)
9 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

I've always thought that J&D leaving was a big possibility and everything seems to go in this direction. I just don't know if it will be the Dark Knight or the Dark Knight Rises version re: their reputation in Westeros. If Jon at least is present at Tyrion's trial, people won't believe him killed in battle so they might just say byeee and not be believed dead.

GRRM has thought about this, I think, since it seemed hinted in The Princess and the Queen (with its unreliable narrator) that Daemon Targaryen (presumed dead) survived and ran off with his lover Nettles, so maybe:

That Prince Daemon died as well we cannot doubt. His remains were never found, but there are queer currents in that lake, and hungry fish as well. The singers tell us that the old prince survived the fall and afterward made his way back to the girl Nettles, to spend the remainder of his days at her side. Such stories make for charming songs, but poor history.

If Jon sticks around to execute Tyrion, I doubt he and Dany are going to pull a runner, though. That would be a king's task.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Eyes High said:

If Jon sticks around to execute Tyrion, I doubt he and Dany are going to pull a runner, though. That would be a king's task.

But this could be like execution of mutineers at CB. His last act as "king". 

Edited by nikma
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, nikma said:

But this could be like execution of mutineers at CB. His last act as "king". 

True, although if Jon and Dany are going to entrust the trial to Davos et al., one would imagine they would entrust the execution of the sentence to them as well. He who passes the sentence and all that.

Yeah, it's strange, but we don't have enough informations. But after E1, one thing I'm sure is that Friki's leak was right. That look Bran gave Tyrion wasn't there for nothing. 

I also wonder, if Friki's leak is correct, if the Tyrion betrayal is the Big Dramatic Secret Ending and who ends up where is a more minor footnote.  Sansa ending up LOW isn't surprising, Arya ending up with Gendry or going travelling again isn't surprising, Jaime and Cersei dying isn't surprising.  So, following that train of thought, Dany and Jon ruling together and having a little Targ baby isn't surprising.  The only surprise for casual viewers may be if Dany decides to destroy the throne and D/J employ a more collaborative style of government. So perhaps D&D wanted Davos to plant the seed in ep 1 for when everything gets worked out in ep 6.  Perhaps they are banking on the Tyrion reveal overshadowing everything else and being the main focus of the finale?

I had a different reaction to this episode. I am even more convinced that Jon and Dany will end up ruling together. As Jon has said Dany will prove herself a worthy Queen. She will win over Sansa, Sam, etc. and they will support their marriage. 

I am glad that Edd makes it to Winterfell. I thought he might be turned into a wight. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

The common tongue, Dothraki and Valyrian...for the Volantis Escadron (hi queen Catherine😂)?

It smells like a Dany pep talk to all the troops. And it's a smell I love 😄

Edited by Happy Harpy
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, Happy Harpy said:

The common tongue, Dothraki and Valyrian...for the Volantis Escadron (hi queen Catherine😂)?

It smells like a Dany pep talk to all the troops. And it's a smell I love 😄

I like this.  Like the speech Queen Elizabeth I gave to the English troops at Tilbury. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

Re: a Targ restoration endgame: a good point, and I thought the same thing. They wouldn't just come out and say it if that is what's going to happen.

I don’t know that I agree there, since that particular scene ends with Varys basically going “oh, this won’t last”.  They’re clearly teasing that this will end badly.

That, of course, can be read either way — either straightly tragic or as misdirection.

54 minutes ago, nikma said:

I even think some system like Roman Republic is possible for Westeros, after they break the wheel. 

Not that the series isn’t already a mess thematically, but I really don’t see the series laying any groundwork for this, since it’s about a couple of wise autocrats who save the world over the express objections of the people they’re in charge of.  That’s been a consistent feature of Jon’s arc since he took power.  If we’re supposed to think a different leadership scheme would serve Westeros better, surely that should actually be part of the heroes’ own arc?

• Love 1

Also, this episode further highlights why any “the White Walkers aren’t bad guys” twist that some people keep counting on would be incredibly cheap.  They go around butchering small children; even if they were fully sentient with motivations, they’re on the level of the Master class in Slaver’s Bay.

Edited by SeanC
  • Love 3

Game revealed for the first episode.

D&D talking about how they were most excited to write the Arya-Hound reunion when there was Jon-Arya tells me why my expectations never match their adaption lol! They have different priorities.

I did find it interesting that Tyrion mentions Sansa leaving him stranded to take the blame at the purple wedding. This is something that Tyrion is very angry about in the books and dislikes Sansa for.

Sophie talks about how it's tricky and they have to watch their words around each other, but at the end of the day, Sansa does trust Tyrion.

D&D also wanted that waterfall put in there for that line of dialogue - So I am guessing there is some importance to it down the line.

Edited by anamika
  • Love 3
37 minutes ago, SeanC said:

If we’re supposed to think a different leadership scheme would serve Westeros better, surely that should actually be part of the heroes’ own arc?

I'm not sure what you are saying tbh. 

(edited)
12 minutes ago, anamika said:

Game revealed for the first episode.

D&D talking about how they were most excited to write the Arya-Hound reunion when there was Jon-Arya tells me why my expectations never match their adaption lol! They have different priorities.

I did find it interesting that Tyrion mentions Sansa leaving him stranded to take the blame at the purple wedding. This is something that Tyrion is very angry about in the books and dislikes Sansa for.

Sophie talks about how it's tricky and they have to watch their words around each other, but at the end of the day, Sansa does trust Tyrion.

D&D also wanted that waterfall put in there for that line of dialogue - So I am guessing there is some importance to it down the line.

I noticed that Maisie and Sophie in their segments filmed in a bright, sunny outdoors area and they're both wearing this sort of loose grey shirt. With Sophie, I thought it was her costume, but with Maisie, you can see she's wearing something else underneath with a collar. So now I'm thinking that not only are these from Seville, but also the production folks had them wear these grey shirts to cover up their costumes, since the costumes themselves were spoilery. And that I find very interesting. They have never done that before. It would reinforce Friki's claim that the 8x06 scene is from the epilogue.

Sophie isn't wearing the scale dress from the EW photoshoot, either, since that would have peeked out around the neckline and whatever she's wearing here is not.

I'm wondering what could be so spoilery about a costume.

While we're talking about the actor segments, Nikolaj filmed in what looks like a room dressed for KL and not Winterfell. One of the bedrooms of the Red Keep?

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, nikma said:

I'm not sure what you are saying tbh. 

Basically every decision Jon has taken to save the Night’s Watch/the North/Westeros has been expressly contrary to the desires of the polity he leads.  Most obviously as king, where him even going south to meet Dany occurred over the explicit objections of his entire lords-in-council.  If the North had a democratic or republican system where power was less centralized in a king, nothing Jon did would have happened.  So why would Jon think Westeros needs a more inclusive government?  Not listening to people is the only way he achieved anything.

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I thought it was her costume, but with Maisie, you can see she's wearing something else underneath with a collar. So now I'm thinking that not only are these from Seville, but also the production folks had them wear these grey shirts to cover up their costumes, since the costumes themselves were spoilery.

I think that was the KL set. Peter Dinklage is giving his interview in the same set. You can see identical pillars behind them. We know that Maise and Peter filmed there extensively.

From Kit's personal photo collection that he took:

tumblr_pq07fnObxk1rea25e_1280.jpg

“This is from this season. I think he’s asleep there. That was during these long nights filming battles. There was just something so weird about chilling in the greenroom—a tent, basically—with the Night King, who’s making jokes, and the White Walkers around him, who are cracking up. To you it’s normal, but to anyone else walking into that room, it would be bizarre. It’s these bits I’ll miss most—the moments of ‘What the fuck is my job?’”

8 minutes ago, SeanC said:

Basically every decision Jon has taken to save the Night’s Watch/the North/Westeros has been expressly contrary to the desires of the polity he leads.  Most obviously as king, where him even going south to meet Dany occurred over the explicit objections of his entire lords-in-council.  If the North had a democratic or republican system where power was less centralized in a king, nothing Jon did would have happened.  So why would Jon think Westeros needs a more inclusive government?  Not listening to people is the only way he achieved anything.

If the change of political system is the endgame, I'm sure we will get Jon's reasons for it, in the end.

21 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I noticed that Maisie and Sophie in their segments filmed in a bright, sunny outdoors area and they're both wearing this sort of loose grey shirt. With Sophie, I thought it was her costume, but with Maisie, you can see she's wearing something else underneath with a collar. So now I'm thinking that not only are these from Seville, but also the production folks had them wear these grey shirts to cover up their costumes, since the costumes themselves were spoilery. And that I find very interesting. They have never done that before. It would reinforce Friki's claim that the 8x06 scene is from the epilogue.

Sophie isn't wearing the scale dress from the EW photoshoot, either, since that would have peeked out around the neckline and whatever she's wearing here is not.

I'm wondering what could be so spoilery about a costume.

My first thought was that they're wearing something springtimey. For current Sansa anything that's not black and for Arya anything that's not totally practical would scream 8x06 and confirm their survival. So maybe Sansa changes into the scale dress in 8x04, perhaps to go fetch help from the Riverlands and the Vale, and then was interviewed in her final dress when she was filming for the 8x06 trial or epilogue. I remember that Margaery's pious season 6 outfit (and thus her release from captivity) was first spoiled by a video like this.

Gendry was also interviewed somewhere sunny. The leaks about him have been so confusing that I can't remember who's claimed what, but unless they paid for an extra flight and dressed him up just for a documentary this feels like a sign that he might survive 8x03 when I would have guessed otherwise after that touching reunion.

• Love 1

George Lucas on set. How cool that must have been! I cracked up when he said that he didn't care about Jon, implying he is a Dany fan. Even celebrities are huge fans and have their favorite characters. Too funny. 

31 minutes ago, anamika said:

Yep. Although sometimes I think they are straight up lying in these videos.

2 hours ago, Eyes High said:

It's a safe bet from the 8x02 promo that Jaime spills the beans about Cersei's true intentions and Dany goes nuclear on Tyrion: there's that shot of Dany angrily stalking away with Tyrion looking upset and Dany telling Sansa that Tyrion never should have trusted Cersei. I think Tyrion has more to worry about at the moment from Dany than Jaime.

I can see the episode playing out as you described. I can't wait for the Northerners to see the AOTD.  I hope they freak out after the stink they were giving Missandei and Grey Worm.I am even more sure that the leak about the Golden Company showing up was wrong. I wonder if Jaime will even mention that Cersei hired the Golden Company. I think that he will try to protect her to the end. Talking about Cersei, I wonder if has she already had a miscarriage? She teared up and seemed to be drinking wine when Euron mentioned putting a little prince in her belly.

• Love 2
31 minutes ago, nikma said:

If the change of political system is the endgame, I'm sure we will get Jon's reasons for it, in the end.

And my point being, there’s nothing in his experience on the show that would give rise to such reasoning.  He is an autocrat, quite comfortable in being one, and the show’s own narrative has consistently backed him up on that point.

• Love 2
(edited)
26 minutes ago, ElizaD said:

My first thought was that they're wearing something springtimey. For current Sansa anything that's not black and for Arya anything that's not totally practical would scream 8x06 and confirm their survival.

I agree. And I noticed that of all the actor talking segments, Maisie and Sophie were the only ones covered up in this way.

Other actor/background pairings that jumped out at me:

1. Joe Dempsie in costume somewhere sunny. There were stone steps in the background, if that helps place him in Italica as opposed to Northern Ireland.

2. Nathalie against a background with pillars that I didn't recognize. (The KL exterior set, maybe.)

3. Nikolaj in a room that looks like a room in the Red Keep with the various tchotchkes you might expect. It did not look like a Winterfell room at all.

4. Liam, Gwendoline, and Jacob, in an outdoors location with a sunny background.

So maybe Sansa changes into the scale dress in 8x04, perhaps to go fetch help from the Riverlands and the Vale, and then was interviewed in her final dress when she was filming for the 8x06 trial or epilogue. 

This is what I'm thinking.

Gendry was also interviewed somewhere sunny. The leaks about him have been so confusing that I can't remember who's claimed what, but unless they paid for an extra flight and dressed him up just for a documentary this feels like a sign that he might survive 8x03 when I would have guessed otherwise after that touching reunion.

I can't tell if it's Seville or not. There are stone steps in the background of the shot.

Friki's source said that Joe didn't film the 8x06 scene. BoatsexBaby's source said that he did.

...Of course, if Sophie and Maisie's Seville costumes are spoilery, that points to an epilogue scene as Friki claimed.

22 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

George Lucas on set. How cool that must have been! I cracked up when he said that he didn't care about Jon, implying he is a Dany fan. Even celebrities are huge fans and have their favorite characters. Too funny.

I love that Martin Starr and Rob McElhenney played Ironborn goons killed by Theon. That's great.

Edited by Eyes High
21 minutes ago, SeanC said:

And my point being, there’s nothing in his experience on the show that would give rise to such reasoning.  He is an autocrat, quite comfortable in being one, and the show’s own narrative has consistently backed him up on that point.

But it's not about Jon. It's about the system where personal characteristics of a ruler are not important. Jon can't rule forever, so it's about creating a system where they won't have to deal with someone like Cersei, Joffrer of Mad King in the future.

Only one person can't rule alone, because then everyone depends on their personalities. And Jon saw that many times.

Edited by nikma

It seems Bronn has 3 options

1. Try to murder Jaime and Tyrion
  2. Switch sides and join Jaime and Tyrion in Winterfell
  3. Flee to Essos

I don't know which he'll take.

I'm guessing not Option 3 since he's been around since Season 1

And if he doesn't choose Option 1, that leaves only Option 2

Maybe Dany's "we could stay here a thousand years" quote is indeed foreshadowing. I never thought Dany would be all "let's run away and live somewhere forever where no one can find us," but who knows? 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SeanC said:

Well...let's see if Jon's decisions will pay off first. It hasn't yet and there's a possibility that things will blow up in his face as they usually do, because of things he did not anticipate. Did you notice that look when Dany said the dragons don't like the cold? What if they're useless? What if they start hunting people instead? He seems to be holding this alliance together with gum and a shoestring. Cogman did say Jon's plan was crazy.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SeanC said:

Not that the series isn’t already a mess thematically, but I really don’t see the series laying any groundwork for this, since it’s about a couple of wise autocrats who save the world over the express objections of the people they’re in charge of.  That’s been a consistent feature of Jon’s arc since he took power.  If we’re supposed to think a different leadership scheme would serve Westeros better, surely that should actually be part of the heroes’ own arc?

I agree. I don't see any evidence that the story is heading for some type of democratically elected commoner ruling council. The only people with main roles making decisions are the powerful leaders/nobles or their advisors. Basically, both Dany and Jon are replicating the ruler and small council model that has existed for generations. 

Cersei on the Iron Throne is the best argument against (this type of) monarchy. It doesn't matter if Jon benefited from that system, the society as a whole won't. Every person we saw on the Iron Throne since S1 was bad option for Westeros. Robert, Joffrey, Tommen and Cersei. And Mad King before all of them.

Jon and Dany could be good rulers, but what after them? How many lunatics will take the throne in the future?

Westeros needs strong institutions that won't depend on one individual. They need some version of Magna Carta Libertatum. They need to start building constitutional state.

Edited by nikma
  • Love 1