Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Kimmy Goes to Church!

The actress who played busybody Clara was very good. She was actually creeping me out in the middle section, yet the turnaround to not (entirely) evil in the end was completely believable.

Loved Jacqueline's moment of triumph at the end.

• Love 7
On 5/19/2017 at 11:37 PM, TheOtherOne said:

She was actually creeping me out in the middle section, yet the turnaround to not (entirely) evil in the end was completely believable.

If she was that into trying to set up her nephew with Titus so they could touch butts, she wasn't all bad.

Jeff Richmond is really versatile as a composer.  It took me a while to realize those weren't actually gospel songs.

• Love 1

Awww, nice to know that Tracy Jordan's slightly older son finally found his calling, after those Kaiju-themed restaurants went out of business! ;)

Loved it! The music was awesome, Jacqueline discovering that "hammer beats worms" (actually, the gag of Lilian offering, "Take my bus pass!" while shoving a hammer in Jaqueline's face was probably the biggest laugh-out-loud moment of the episode for me), and Kimmy discovering the true meaning of religion: Being human. So great.

• Love 8

This may be my favorite episode so far. I was DYING at teenage Titus' look of utter disbelief and inability to restrain himself as that poor choir girl sang - and then the deja vu with the new choir. Sister Clara's imperiousness was pretty great too.

• Love 10

This is one of my least favorite episodes of the whole series. The Jacqueline storyline was okay, but not super funny for me. And I didn't find much humor at all in the A plot. Plus, that woman was so unpleasant that I didn't enjoy seeing her get a redemption. And I especially didn't like the part about Titus needing to get involved with the church to prove to Kimmy that he's trying to be a better person. You can be a moral person without religion. Pretty much everything about the way they dealt with religion rubbed me the wrong way.

• Love 3
On 5/21/2017 at 6:22 AM, starri said:

Jeff Richmond is really versatile as a composer.  It took me a while to realize those weren't actually gospel songs.

Well the last song was just the show theme song with females replaced with Jesus.

• Love 3

My favorite episode of the season so far.  The Baptist church was a terrific setting for socially inept Kimmy and Titus to comedically shine.  Loved the singing - both the laughably bad and the great.  I laughed at how Lillian was able to transform back to her dowdy self with a whoosh!

• Love 6

Lillian's scenario where she imagined Titus and Kimmy stealing Jacqueline's two bags was totally Lillian. I could almost hear her voice come out of their mouths.

Seeing Jacqueline butter her feet before cramming them into those tiny shoes had me wincing while laughing. I remember wearing 3" heels to work every day at my old job. Thankfully my new job was no dress code so I can wear comfy flat shoes whenever I want! I cracked up when Lillian reverse Wonder Woman-ed from her fancy makeover outfit back into her old stoop crone clothes. Okay, fine, she actually did it in a closet, but I still found it amusing.

Hopefully now that Kimmy learned her church lesson, she can get back to hanging out with Perry. I don't need them to start dating seriously or anything, but I just liked that they connected because they are both older and not like the other college freshmen. I can related because I transferred and it was definitely an eye opening experience to have to take some classes with 18 year old freshmen when I was no longer an 18 year old freshman.

• Love 3

This might my favorite episode of the season so far. It had everything that makes this show so great, really firing on all cylinders. It might even have the highest joke-per-minute capita, which is saying something with this show.

Laugh-out-loud moment number one: "And I never saw 15-year-old Eric Trump again."

Laugh-out-loud moment number two: "Kate Hudson and Blake Lively were wearing very similar dresses and it freaked him out!" So happy to see the return of Deirdre Robespierre.

I think this episode was so great because each character had a triumph. Kimmy had a breakthrough about religion. Titus might touch butts with Tracy Jordan's suspiciously old son. Jacqueline stopped caring what people thought of her. And Lillian realized she was much more comfortable being a steep crone than somebody she's not. "Is this too Egyptian for a seder?" I died.

I liked the continuity of Russ's grandmother's brooch.

Honestly I feel like there was so much more I loved about this episode but I can't list it all here. So great.

On 5/21/2017 at 6:22 AM, starri said:

If she was that into trying to set up her nephew with Titus so they could touch butts, she wasn't all bad.

"Unbreakable! He's alive, damn it! Jesus is strong as hell!"

On 6/9/2017 at 10:36 AM, MaggieG said:

Lillian looked great with the straight hair!

Yes! I was wondering if that was Carol Kane's real hair or a wig. If it was her real hair, damn it's long!

• Love 3

Lillian looked great with the straight hair!

She looked like Joely Richardson. Go ogle her.

This was my favorite of the season. Some real laugh out loud moments. Now I want a Teddy Ruxpin that screams "White lady!"

• Love 2

Deirdre!  She is so awful, but I love her in all of her snooty, stuck-up glory.  Anna Camp can do no wrong in my book.

Kimmy going to church was an interesting idea, so that way she can see there is more to church, religion, and reverends then what she experienced at the bunker. I enjoyed all the music, Clara, the gossiping old lady that every church seems to have (at least she was actually trying to just set-up Titus with her nephew Ruben instead of being the mean woman he thought she was), and how instead of ending with Kimmy embarrassing herself to the point of being shunned, everyone forgave her, and it ended on a high note.  Curious to see if she and Titus will keep attending going forward.

Lillian and Jacqueline area always great together.  And Carol Kane looked great with the straight hair, although I loved quickly Lillian was able to go back to her natural look.

• Love 2