Type keyword(s) to search

DWTS Juniors Wish List

• Start Topic

With the announcement of a Dancing with the Stars Juniors, I thought it would be fun to make a wish list forum for prospective kid celebs (or pros) we would like to see on the show, similar to the already existing thread. 

Here is my own personal wish list: 

Romeo Beckham, Apple Martin, Jenny Ortega, Sophia Grace, Jacob Sartorious, Matty B, Jacob Tremblay, Skai Jackson, Alana Thompson, Grace Vanderwaal, Millie Bobby Brown

Comment yours!! 

I think what is likely to happen is you are going to get either reality stars (Dance Mom girls, Americas Got Talent acts), social media stars/wannabes, and Nick/Disney kids.  I think the little kids that are being angled as serious actors and actresses and either have real movie roles or respected tv roles (the Jacob Tremblay and Millie Bobbie Brown types) would be steered far away from a show like this by their agents.

Blackish's Miles Brown (Jack) would be a fun addition.  He has hip hop/break dancing experience though, so that may lead to a whole mini-ringer debate. 

It would be fun if the DWTS adult pros served as mentors or choreographers for the kid pros.  Mark is great with younger stars and would serve as an excellent mentor or head judge.  I think that Lindsay or Sasha would also do a good job.  I'm not 100% sold on the concept, live TV is tough for anyone, but think that it has some potential.   

I have no intention of watching this show. But my single wish is Ruby Castro from SYTYCD: The Next Generation as a pro. Then I'd just watch her pairing's routines on YouTube.

I have a real fear that Maddie Ziegler will end up as a judge.

• Love 2

How I know I lack interest in DWTS junior - I recognize less than half the names on the first posted wishlist - and of the ones I do recognize, I could only pick half of those out of a lineup. Like, I know Apple Martin is the daughter of Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin... but that's it. I couldn't identify her by sight, or know anything else about her.

I feel like this spin-off is an awful idea. Do we really care about celeb kids or kids of celebs? I just don't get who thought this was a good idea, especially for network primetime. Maybe if they aired it primarily on the Disney Channel? Then they could get all the tween viewers who actually care about the latest D-com star or think Romeo Beckham is, like, soooo hot.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, tvgirlxx said:

With the announcement of a Dancing with the Stars Juniors, I thought it would be fun to make a wish list forum for prospective kid celebs (or pros) we would like to see on the show, similar to the already existing thread. 

Here is my own personal wish list: 

Romeo Beckham, Apple Martin, Jenny Ortega, Sophia Grace, Jacob Sartorious, Matty B, Jacob Tremblay, Skai Jackson, Alana Thompson, Grace Vanderwaal, Millie Bobby Brown

Comment yours!! 

Is that the shrieking, annoying moppet that Ellen kept plastering all over her talk show? Dear Lord, no. My ear drums still haven't recovered from that time I accidentally left it on Ellen and that kid hit Mariah Carey in the 90's levels of range. 

My personal wishlist? That if this show has to happen, this forum latches onto it because I definitely don't want to watch but reading the forums will be great popcorn time. "Can you believe it? She's nine and they put her in a stripper dress." "The sexualisation! My eyes! My eyes!" Hey, maybe DWTS: Moppet Edition won't be so bad after all. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I actually LOVE the idea of a DWTS Juniors show and would absolutely watch. I'm surprised that there are so many naysayers about it. It will at least be different from SYTYCD: Next Generation because it will be kids dancing with kids and not with adults.

Proper ballroom and Latin technique is so beautiful to me. I get a kick out of seeing kids do it when a lot of adults have a hard time mastering it. I really enjoyed that ballroom kids competition (the one Brittany and Brandon won) they had during the results shows on one of the early seasons of DWTS.

I actually think kid celebs would be easier to teach because they tend to be sponges and  they don't have as many of the hangups as adults do. There may actually be less drama with kids so maybe more focus could be on the dancing.

I enjoyed the SYTYCD kids version, but my biggest complaint was that the ballroom kids all got cut early! Having DWTS Juniors would remedy that for me ?

Edited by calipiano81

The only name I recognized from that first list is Grace Vanderwall, and I hated her on AGT.  <lol>  I have no interest in a DWTS Junior version.  Just like I had no interest in SYTYCD kid version.  Maybe I'm wrong, but since they've had contestants in the 14-18 year old age range on DWTS, I'm assuming the Junior version would be tweens and younger.  And I just don't enjoy watching them that young.  My hangup.  In particular, I get very uncomfortable watching little girls in fairly skimpy costumes with heavy makeup performing some fairly overtly sexual moves.  I know they have to start young in order to be really good when they're older, but it just creeps me out to watch them. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

I actually LOVE the idea of a DWTS Juniors show and would absolutely watch. I'm surprised that there are so many naysayers about it. It will at least be different from SYTYCD: Next Generation because it will be kids dancing with kids and not with adults.

I think for me the problem isn't that it's a kid's dancing show or who they're dancing with. It's that it's going to be Dancing with the Stars: Now with More Kids! Look at our current DWTS. The melodrama, the tears, the frustration, the stupid "story" that everyone gets, the "something tragic happened to me" arcs. We already get that with our current version. With kids? They're gonna ramp that stuff up to eleven. I don't want to see some famous kid stomping their foot and throwing a temper tantrum that they don't get it anymore than I want to see an adult contestant do that. I just have no faith in Disney/ABC. They're going to turn it into a dramariffic trainwreck which will be hilarious but painful to watch. 

1 hour ago, Callaphera said:

I think for me the problem isn't that it's a kid's dancing show or who they're dancing with. It's that it's going to be Dancing with the Stars: Now with More Kids! Look at our current DWTS. The melodrama, the tears, the frustration, the stupid "story" that everyone gets, the "something tragic happened to me" arcs. We already get that with our current version. With kids? They're gonna ramp that stuff up to eleven. I don't want to see some famous kid stomping their foot and throwing a temper tantrum that they don't get it anymore than I want to see an adult contestant do that. I just have no faith in Disney/ABC. They're going to turn it into a dramariffic trainwreck which will be hilarious but painful to watch. 

Added on to that, if it's kids of celebrities, you got parents demanding "entitlements" and their little munchkin can do no wrong.  If it's celebrity kids, you terrify them with the fear that a bad edit or "judges" comments will "ruin them forevvvvaaaa" in the ways that only teens can dramatize.  Now how is a child "pro" supposed to manage all that without having meltdowns of their own?  

• Love 1

I'd like to see Sofia Richie, but she's 17 so she could be on the other show. I am just thinking of celeb kids. Harlow Madden (Nicole Richie's kid, Sofia's niece) is 9. I'm not sure how old they will be. Probably somewhere in between.

Cindy Crawford has that look alike model daughter. I'm doing this wrong. 

3 hours ago, Uke said:

Added on to that, if it's kids of celebrities, you got parents demanding "entitlements" and their little munchkin can do no wrong.  If it's celebrity kids, you terrify them with the fear that a bad edit or "judges" comments will "ruin them forevvvvaaaa" in the ways that only teens can dramatize.  Now how is a child "pro" supposed to manage all that without having meltdowns of their own?  

While I have the same concerns with the show, my guess is the child pros won't be doing a lot of the actual teaching, choreographing, mentoring, etc.  They will probably help teach, but my guess is that there will be some adult mentors, probably in the shape of recognizable DWTS pros, who will do a lot of what they do on regular DWTS...just with kids.  They will probably mentor both the celeb kids and the child pros.

Also I 100% guarantee that the little kid Jenna mentored on SYTYCD last season will be one of their pro kids.  Pretty sure he already made a DWTS appearance this season during Disney week.  He was in the opening number.  So we will likely have precocious dancer kids on top of precocious kid celebs.

7 hours ago, Callaphera said:

See, I actually don't think there will be as much drama, frustration, and tears with kids. Kids don't take things as seriously as adults do.

On the SYTYCD version, the kids were well-mannered, took criticism just fine, and I don't remember any of the eliminees falling apart. 

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, spanana said:

While I have the same concerns with the show, my guess is the child pros won't be doing a lot of the actual teaching, choreographing, mentoring, etc.  They will probably help teach, but my guess is that there will be some adult mentors, probably in the shape of recognizable DWTS pros, who will do a lot of what they do on regular DWTS...just with kids.  They will probably mentor both the celeb kids and the child pros.

Also I 100% guarantee that the little kid Jenna mentored on SYTYCD last season will be one of their pro kids.  Pretty sure he already made a DWTS appearance this season during Disney week.  He was in the opening number.  So we will likely have precocious dancer kids on top of precocious kid celebs.

J.T. Church appeared on DWTS this season during Disney week. He was the runner-up on SYTYCD: Next Gen. Jenna's kid partner on that season was Jake Monreal (although also small and cute). I agree that Jake would make a good child pro, he's got a lot of charisma already.

And I second having Ruby Castro. If not for her age, she probably would already be on the regular DWTS show as a pro.

Edited by calipiano81
10 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

J.T. Church appeared on DWTS this season during Disney week. He was the runner-up on SYTYCD: Next Gen. Jenna's kid partner on that season was Jake Monreal (although also small and cute). I agree that Jake would make a good child pro, he's got a lot of charisma already.

And I second having Ruby Castro. If not for her age, she probably would already be on the regular DWTS show as a pro.

You're right, sorry.  For some reason I got those two confused.  I was thinking of Jake, but for some reason had JT's face in my head.  All those J names.  But yes, I meant I thought they would have Jake on this new show...though of course I was wrong in thinking he was already on DWTS.

I'd love to see Ruby.  I'd just rather see her dance full out with other professionals, but she's awesome.

14 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

See, I actually don't think there will be as much drama, frustration, and tears with kids. Kids don't take things as seriously as adults do.

On the SYTYCD version, the kids were well-mannered, took criticism just fine, and I don't remember any of the eliminees falling apart. 

It's not the kids that are the concern. It's the producer's need for drama and the ability to create what ever they need. 

I'm sure there will be at least one dancer from Dance Moms (past or present), especially since Cheryl is now the coach. 

I could also see Eden Wood doing the show - she's the right age and around the right caliber of celebrity. 

21 hours ago, calipiano81 said:

Did the kids on SYTYCD get much in the way of criticism?  I feel like I remember them telling little JT he was great in everything, even when he wasn't.  Also I don't think it's entirely comparable because the kids on SYTYCD were at least coming in as dancers on a dance reality show.  They all came in with a specialty and if if I remember correctly, the kids got to dance in their specialties more often than they were asked to dance outside of their specialities.  So at least 50% of the time (maybe more) they were being asked to perform in the genre where they had extensive training.  Presumably the kids coming into this are not going to be dancers, or if they have some dance training, at least not in quite the same way.  So everybody should be out of their comfort zone to some degree.

I will give them SYTYCD was very careful with the eliminations.  They deliberately had the mentors standing out on stage with them and they shuffled the kids off stage as quickly as possible.  I also got the impression they had their loved ones standing by in the wings so they cold run off stage and cry if need be.

I think what is more likely to happen is the kids just aren't going to get much criticism period.

I do hope the adult pros are available to help with teaching and choreography. I know Kym, Cheryl and Anna would probably love to do it, and I could see Tony, Maks, and maybe Gleb or Artem willing to to help out (especially since Maks, Tony, and I think Gleb have children of their own).

I don't think the current judges would be a problem.  DWTS has had kid competitions before, and the judges know how to temper their comments when it comes to critiquing the kids' dances.  If I were to pick a new judging panel for this version, I would probably go with Mark, Julianne, Kym (if she's not helping with teaching or choreography), and maybe Henry, Alan, or Sasha.

On 5/17/2017 at 9:24 PM, calipiano81 said:

I might give the show a shot, but if they announce Ruby Castro as one of the "pro" dancers to partner with the contestants, I wouldn't miss a show.  I loved her on SYTYCD: Next Generation.  And I do hope they keep the adult pros on as choreographers and mentors.

As for kids doing sexy dances, yes, that kind of goes with the Latin dances, but at least it will be greatly toned down from the highly, sexually charged stuff we get from Sharna and Gleb and others.

And, if the choreographer uses their imagination, they can make the sexy dances work.  Here is my favorite Next Generation dance (with Ruby!).  It's an Argentine Tango and to get away from the sexual nature of the it, the choreographers framed it as a brother having taught his younger sister the dance.  Sorry I couldn't find one with better quality (it also missed the first few seconds of the dance):

• Love 1

Although, I prefer SYTYCD with adults, the next generation was better than I thought it would be.  Ruby Castro was one of my favorites.  I think there is a good chance that she or her brother will be a kid pro.

• Love 1

DWTS Junior will be replacing the regular DWTS show in Spring 2018.

DWTS Season 25 will be Fall 2017 and Season 26 will be Fall 2018.

If DWTSJ is successful, I assume it will continue in the spring and relegate regular DWTS to once a year.

7 minutes ago, calipiano81 said:

If DWTSJ is successful, I assume it will continue in the spring and relegate regular DWTS to once a year.

I also assume that part of if it continues also depends on American Idol. ABC made some big moves to snag Idol and based on the weak Sunday night lineup for the fall, clearly are fine writing off the night until Idol begins in the winter. With the money they're spending on it, I got the sense that DWTSJ was probably both a budget saving measure and a way of making sure to differentiate their programming a bit. We haven't gotten too many details, but just the fact it's kids will make it feel like a different sort of show. If Idol is enough of a hit, then I do think it'll be the focus every winter and DWTS will have to take a backseat no matter how DWTSJ does.

(edited)
On 6/2/2017 at 1:05 PM, calipiano81 said:

DWTS Junior will be replacing the regular DWTS show in Spring 2018.

DWTS Season 25 will be Fall 2017 and Season 26 will be Fall 2018.

Noooo!!!! I won't be watching in the spring, I guess. I don't see most people watching the junior version at all.

Edited by boyznkatz
  • Love 1