Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E12: Behind the Mask

Harlee helps Nava cover his tracks after a violent encounter, revealing a side of herself Nava's never seen before and putting their relationship in jeopardy. Wozniak faces a ghost from his past in order to take down a new enemy in his present. Stahl gets a critical piece of information in his hunt for the truth about Miguel.

(edited)

So Woz is freed from the FBI but is Harlee?

Will Stahl return as a regular?  I would hate if he didn't because his antagonism has been one of the more riveting aspects of this show but I'm not sure where he would fit in if he didn't.  He's not part of the FBI.  It feels like his story with Harlee came to its head.  Does he go to jail next season and is a story told from there?

I was a little disappointed with the way the Julia story wrapped up.  I figured she was okay with the murder.  And I guessed that she set up the assassination attempt.  But there's no way that they wouldn't have tested Woz, especially when it came out that she was encouraged killing him. 

But it was a nice moment that she saw the results before dying.

Harlee didn't confess to Nava that she's a dirty cop, right? 

Did not love that Harlee was in sexual peril again in a season finale. 

--As an aside, I would love to see Jennifer and Warren work together in something less fraught as I do think they have really good chemistry.  I can't ship their characters given all that has happened but in other circumstances, I think they'd be hot.--

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 2

After a season of Bianchi threatening to murder people, attempting to murder people, and actually murdering people, I find it funny that what took him out was a grade school shove from Nava, a sink, and a paper towel. Had he lived, there is absolutely no way he could tell people what went down in the bathroom because he would have been seen like a complete punk ass.

Stahl is bonkers.

• Love 7

Ok so we never find out if Nava wants to be with Harlee after her confession right? She says " your move" and that's it? Did I mis something?

I can't see Harlee or Woz dying so the second episode was pointless.

I loved the first episode. Bianchi is taken out by Nava of al people. 

• Love 5

Did a kid shoot Woz?  WTF?  And the rape-y scenes with JLo made me want to change the channel, but I wanted to see how she got out of it.  I did not expect her to cut her own wrist.  How does that work out for her?  Oh, we have to wait half a year (!!!) to find out.  Dayumn, used to be we just had to wait until September for new episodes.  But I have to give props to Jennifer Lopez who turned out a good performance, and I love seeing Ray Liotta back on the screen.

• Love 6

Harlee confessing to Nava she murdered Miguel ... NO!!!! Don't EVER do that. Oops. Too late, she did. Woz had that shovel, why did he just stuff Miguel in a can and leave him for anyone to find? I kept wondering how Stahl got Harlee changed into that hooker outfit (he's such a perve) and into her car. She's not exactly tiny. And what was Harlee's plan if she had managed to stab Stahl with the drugs? I'm really surprised Julia chose suicide after all she'd been through as a cop and mafia conspirator. Not sure Woz really had to help her. LOVED Woz standing up to the IA guys. Great dialogue and great Liotta acting there. Then the end ... so Harlee passes out (how did she manage to slice her wrist on a plastic tie?) although her fight with Stahl was pretty awesome. But the last few seconds ... I yelled "HOLY (EFF)!!!!" from my couch when Woz got shot. He's who I'm invested in, it appears. And we have to wait until next freaking YEAR? Whaaaaa?

• Love 1

THAT was a surprise! I don't know enough law, but I doubt a professional politician would go out like Julia did. I was expecting her to pardon herself once she found out she was Mayor. I had just seen another show where a woman was tied to a chair, and she had a much better way of dealing with her situation than Harlee. I admire that Harlee got free, but she had to know that Stahl was not going to kill her immediately, and that there would be better opportunities for escape. As always, Stahl brought the crazy. If they ever do a movie about the disgruntled former FBI head Kole should be up for the part.

• Love 6
56 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Harlee confessing to Nava she murdered Miguel ... NO!!!! Don't EVER do that. Oops. Too late, she did. Woz had that shovel, why did he just stuff Miguel in a can and leave him for anyone to find? I kept wondering how Stahl got Harlee changed into that hooker outfit (he's such a perve) and into her car. She's not exactly tiny. And what was Harlee's plan if she had managed to stab Stahl with the drugs? I'm really surprised Julia chose suicide after all she'd been through as a cop and mafia conspirator. Not sure Woz really had to help her. LOVED Woz standing up to the IA guys. Great dialogue and great Liotta acting there. Then the end ... so Harlee passes out (how did she manage to slice her wrist on a plastic tie?) although her fight with Stahl was pretty awesome. But the last few seconds ... I yelled "HOLY (EFF)!!!!" from my couch when Woz got shot. He's who I'm invested in, it appears. And we have to wait until next freaking YEAR? Whaaaaa?

There was a screw that was sticking out on the bottom of the chair seat where her hands were. I'm not sure if she knew it was there and was using that to try to cut through the zip tie and/or intentionally cut herself so Stahl would have to remove the zip tie from her wrists or if she accidentally cut herself.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

And what was Harlee's plan if she had managed to stab Stahl with the drugs? I'm really surprised Julia chose suicide after all she'd been through as a cop and mafia conspirator. Not sure Woz really had to help her. LOVED Woz standing up to the IA guys. Great dialogue and great Liotta acting there. Then the end ... so Harlee passes out (how did she manage to slice her wrist on a plastic tie?) although her fight with Stahl was pretty awesome. 

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I'm really surprised Julia chose suicide after all she'd been through as a cop and mafia conspirator.

I think Harlee's plan was to frame Stahl for Miguel's murder.  She was supposed to stab Stahl and while he was passed out, get his fingerprints on a flashlight, etc.  The entire crew was in on the plan and they were supposed to help her once he was passed out.  It all fell apart though when Stahl stabbed her instead.  

Julia didn't commit suicide...Woz killed her.  She had the gun to her head because she WAS going to kill herself.  Woz walked over and held the gun like he was going to take it away from her.  While Woz still had his hand around the gun and her finger was still on the trigger, she saw that she had won and then he pushed her finger to make it look like a suicide.  

NAVA!!  I can't believe he walked over to the dark side!!  

Christina didn't seem too broken up about her scumbag dad.

Stalhker has a one way ticket on the crazy train!!  I hope he's back somehow as a regular next season - Woz, Harlee and Stahl are the ones who make this show so awesome! 

I wasn't expecting that little kid to shoot Woz...

• Love 5

Thanks Juliet73 for clearing up the Julia not-suicide. My tv is an old square box so anything that happens on the sides I can't see. All I saw in that scene was Woz's face after he put his hand over Julia's, then the gunshot sound. I think the writers for this show are excellent, I love the dialogue. The scenes with Harlee/Woz/the IA guy were gold. I'm gonna miss this show.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, NorthstarATL said:

THAT was a surprise! I don't know enough law, but I doubt a professional politician would go out like Julia did. I was expecting her to pardon herself once she found out she was Mayor. I had just seen another show where a woman was tied to a chair, and she had a much better way of dealing with her situation than Harlee. I admire that Harlee got free, but she had to know that Stahl was not going to kill her immediately, and that there would be better opportunities for escape. As always, Stahl brought the crazy. If they ever do a movie about the disgruntled former FBI head Kole should be up for the part.

Maybe she didn't want to get raped he may have said that it wasn't his style but that's what he was starting to do.

• Love 2

That poor little boy.  I knew Woz and his team couldn't protect his mother.  They're playing games with drug dealers, and the people in that community are collateral damage.  Liotta seems to be the draw for viewers, so I can't see him dying.  I wouldn't miss the character, though.

Lopez as Harlee isn't tiny? She looks quite slim to me.  But then Warren Kole is a string bean.

I think Julia couldn't pull the trigger herself, which is why she begged Woz, "Don't make me face them..." 

I was hoping Nava wouldn't go along with Harlee's plan, but I suppose he couldn't be the white knight forever.  

The stuff about Baker feeding Verco intel as a roundabout way to neuter and eventually get rid of Stahl was ridiculously convoluted. If she knew he had an affair with his partner's wife while said partner was undercover, why would that not be enough for at least a suspension?   

• Love 2

I thought this was an underwhelming finale. The two episodes before were much better. This is so random. The only real surprise was the little kid shooting Woz. They have crossed the line wirh Stahl that he belongs in a mental institution now, so not sure how he is going to be involved next season.

Let's be real. The only reason we have Harlee wad tied sitting on a chair in lingerie is to show off JLo (very nice) body. I appreciate the view and all but so random and not linked to the plot all season long.

• Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, waving feather said:

Let's be real. The only reason we have Harlee wad tied sitting on a chair in lingerie is to show off JLo (very nice) body. I appreciate the view and all but so random and not linked to the plot all season long.

How is it not linked to the whole season when we knew since season 1 how obsessed he was with her, he even admitted it to her and the stuff he was doing with that hooker looklike, calling her by her name etc.. I feel like it was expected actually. It was over the Top but that's the fun of the show.

Edited by eliza
  • Love 13

Here's a sentence I never thought I'd write but I really want Jennifer Lopez and Ray Liotta to get Emmy nods for this show.  Ray because Woz spent most of the season looking like he needed a shower and three days sleep.  And jennifer because she's knocked it out of the park every episode.  

• Love 9
11 hours ago, eliza said:

How is it not linked to the whole season when we knew since season 1 how obsessed he was with her, he even admitted it to her and the stuff he was doing with that hooker looklike, calling her by her name etc.. I feel like it was expected actually. It was over the Top but that's the fun of the show.

He was obsessed with her and wanted to control her but he seemed too smart to do it so blatantly like abducting her. So far he strikes me as someone who wants to manipulate and control Harlee psychologically because he knows if he crossed the line to physical and fail, he would not have the influence over again. He just strikes me as someone very calculative.

Piequinn35 said: "What a fucked up place, a kid shooting a cop," Then I guess you've never watched The Wire. And I agree with Perkie, Liotta and Lopez deserved awards. Both are absolutely golden on this show.

• Love 1

Julia's suicide scene...from the moment they turned up the volume on the news report to Woz's face just after, that was just some well god damned made tv, that right there.  And the line read on "I'm the Mayor of New York" was perfection.

• Love 5
On 24/05/2017 at 10:41 AM, waving feather said:

He was obsessed with her and wanted to control her but he seemed too smart to do it so blatantly like abducting her. So far he strikes me as someone who wants to manipulate and control Harlee psychologically because he knows if he crossed the line to physical and fail, he would not have the influence over again. He just strikes me as someone very calculative.

He had to snap eventuality he was on the edge all season.

I agree about the Julia suicide scene really well done, as for Jennifer & Ray they really deserve some some nominations unfortunately they won't the show isn't getting any buzz.

• Love 3
On 5/23/2017 at 7:50 PM, piequinn35 said:

What a fucked up place, a kid shooting a cop, oh well, still watching the next season.

But that scene was so well done.  The anxiety of what will Woz do, will he continue on his way to find Harley, or will he stop and help the kid.  Than boom, out of nowhere, the kid pulls the gun and shoots him and I'm shocked and worried about poor Woz, then much later, it's like, well crap, no ones coming to save Harley now!

11 hours ago, millahnna said:

Julia's suicide scene...from the moment they turned up the volume on the news report to Woz's face just after, that was just some well god damned made tv, that right there

Something else that was well done tv, was the episode where someone is after Christina (dumb teenager) at the cafe place and Harley calls Stahl to help her since he's already right there stalking her.  The disgust that Harley has to beg this guy for help.  Then Stahl being conflicted about helping her then finding a conscience under all the cray cray to get up and help Christina.  Well written, well directed and well played by both Jen and Warren.  

• Love 8
On 5/22/2017 at 0:55 PM, juliet73 said:

Stalhker has a one way ticket on the crazy train!!  I hope he's back somehow as a regular next season - Woz, Harlee and Stahl are the ones who make this show so awesome! 

AMEN TO THIS ^

• Love 4

What strikes me most about Stahl is through the season you saw how completely unhinged he was becoming. When he was first introduced he was very well put together but his obsession with Harley and ensuing pursuit of her and Woz you could see how it was affecting him physically, right down to the reddened eyes. 

I also had a Holy F moment when the kid shot Woz. Bets on it being the IA guy that saves Harley???

• Love 4
1 hour ago, damnman said:

What strikes me most about Stahl is through the season you saw how completely unhinged he was becoming. When he was first introduced he was very well put together but his obsession with Harley and ensuing pursuit of her and Woz you could see how it was affecting him physically, right down to the reddened eyes. 

I also had a Holy F moment when the kid shot Woz. Bets on it being the IA guy that saves Harley???

I honestly had 4 dropped-jaw moments in this 2-part episode.

1. Nava, not only did he lead to Bianchi's death, but he wasn't a mob-mole like I'd been suspecting. I can't believe Bianchi went out like that, but I loved it.

2. Woz pulling the trigger & assisting Julia in her suicide. I didn't see her coming, & certainly didn't see Woz assisting (I'm stopping short of placing the blame on him).

3. The whole Stahl kidnaps Harley plot, including her basically cutting her own wrist, then stumbling outside & passing out. Great call on IA guy, who kinda reminds me of Donnie Wahlberg, a huge compliment to IA guy, FYI, as the one who will likely save her. 

4. Adrian shoots Woz! I just did not at all see that coming. I literally covered my mouth so I didn't wake up my sleeping children. Just wow. This show knows how to do a finale.

Please forgive my ignorance, as I was trying to watch while my afore-mentioned children were very loudly fighting sleep in their beds, but why was Donnie Wahlbergs twin/the IA guy, basically telling Harley that she needed to have fibers from Nava's suit on Bianchi's body before the ME looked at him the next morning? Was he helping her or setting her up? Also, didn't Nava just say he shoved Bianchi? Why would his suit fibers have to be all over Bianchi? 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/31/2017 at 11:27 AM, nkotb said:

IA guy, who kinda reminds me of Donnie Wahlberg,

I have always thought this too. I even looked him up in the cast list on IMBD just to make sure he wasn't another Wahlberg brother.

Edited by llewis823
  • Love 2

Donnie just looks like a cop, & so does this guy, but the definitely do bear a resemblance. 

If you'd told me 2 years ago that a show featuring J-Lo & Ray Liotta would be as good as this show is, & that those 2 polar opposites would have the kind of chemistry that they do, I'd never have believed you, but here we are, & it's all true. She's just so pretty, like strikingly beautiful, & he's so hard-looking & acting (love him, though), I wouldn't have thought they'd work, but they're totally believable as BFF.

• Love 5

I covered my eyes as soon as Julia put the gun to her head (did I think they were really gonna show her blowing her brains out on NBC? No, but you can't be too sure these days) so I couldn't tell if she pulled the trigger, or Woz did, or it was a kind of mutual understanding/assisted suicide situation, but damn it was still good. "I'm the mayor of New York." That line read was chilling. Props to Anna Gunn. She wasn't in this season as much as I was expecting, but I enjoyed her part and thought the character fit in naturally with the world that had been set up.

I too don't know how they can bring Stahl back from this, which is a shame because I really want to see more of him next season. Warren Kole brings the crazy like no other, and Stahl is a great antagonist.

So Woz was shot by a kid, Harlee's stuck in the middle of nowhere with a bleeding wrist and tetanus, probably, and there are still a lot of other story threads hanging? That's how you do a season finale. Honestly, this whole season was a huge step up from the first, which wasn't bad, and I'm looking forward to more next year.

• Love 3
On 5/31/2017 at 0:27 PM, nkotb said:

Also, didn't Nava just say he shoved Bianchi? Why would his suit fibers have to be all over Bianchi? 

Nava shoved Bianchi, which caused him to crack his head (on the sink? on the floor?) but not enough to kill him.  I don't remember exactly but I think the story Nava ended up telling was that he and Bianchi were fighting, then he shoved him off with enough force to kill him.  So by Nava's story there would be fibers from his jacket on Bianchi.  

On 5/31/2017 at 10:55 AM, damnman said:

Bets on it being the IA guy that saves Harley???

That would be interesting, but how?  No one knows where she is, though I can't remember if the team had figured out exactly where she was when they were heading out or  not.  

I really hope they don't start next season with Harley already safe.  I want to see this play out, how and who finds her.  

• Love 3
On 31/05/2017 at 6:27 PM, nkotb said:

I honestly had 4 dropped-jaw moments in this 2-part episode.

Please forgive my ignorance, as I was trying to watch while my afore-mentioned children were very loudly fighting sleep in their beds, but why was Donnie Wahlbergs twin/the IA guy, basically telling Harley that she needed to have fibers from Nava's suit on Bianchi's body before the ME looked at him the next morning? Was he helping her or setting her up? Also, didn't Nava just say he shoved Bianchi? Why would his suit fibers have to be all over Bianchi? 

Yes I didn't understand why he tried to help her.

• Love 1

Just an FYI for people not familiar with the IA guy (ie, the missing Wahlberg brother), his name is Dov Davidoff and he's a pretty accomplished stand-up comic. He's all over YouTube if you're interested!