Type keyword(s) to search

World Of Dance - General Discussion

• Start Topic

10 hours ago, GaT said:

"goosies", I can't tell you how much I hate that word. Why can't she say "goosebumps" like a normal person?

If the show got rid of "goosies" and Derek mugging and "dancing" in his chair (and pimping on JLo), it would make watching so much more enjoyable. So far, Ne-Yo is the only not-annoying judge.

I really liked Oxygen, and the tango duo and the ballet couple.

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, jewel21 said:

Was Oxygen the group with the arms? Because if so, yes they were really good. I had forgotten about them. 

I had forgotten about them too, which doesn't really bode well for their performances. I liked them, but I remember (now that i remember them at all) thinking at the time that they weren't actually doing any dancing, just a lot of arm movements.

• Love 4

I loved the Navajo (they were Navajo, right?) hoop dancers, except I’ve never seen it as a choreographed group dance.the regalia of that one dancer was stunning!  While I really wish they could have been on the show to provide variety from the contemporary, hip hop, salsa that is on the show, I sadly agreed with the judges.  

• Love 4

More 4.2 performances

Upper

Luca & Alessandra Dance to "A Evaristo Carriego" by Metropole

Indigenous Enterprise: "Indian City/The Ripper" by Tribe Called Red/Northern Cree

Upper Team

UPeepz Dance to "Get Back" by Ludacris

The Rise Dances to "6 Foot 7 Foot" by Lil Wayne

Junior

James & Harris Dance to "Moment of Silence" by Lucidious

Junior team

305 Dances to "Adrenaline" by DJ Mendez

(edited)

Not sure if anyone knew this, but J-Lo was in the Super Bowl halftime show! Wonder why they haven’t mentioned it on the show yet (and if anyone who dared mention Shakira would be banned from the building)? 🙂

Hated JLo and Derek yapping nonstop during Luca & Alessandra. “Wish you could have heard what we were saying...” NO. No, they really don’t.

Kinda funny hearing the judges struggling to critique Indigenous Enterprise. “I really liked... the history.” I’d have liked to see them get a callback but clearly the judges would have no clue how to score them.

Nice to see the show finally letting Scott Evans work for his paycheck.

Edited by dmeets
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
On 5/27/2020 at 11:32 AM, hula-la said:

There's dance on TV again, and right now, I'll take all the dance that I can get. Again, though, I wish there was less backstory and watching the hosts get snacks, and more actual dance.

I'm grateful to have a summer dance staple back on TV, especially since the future of So You Think You Can Dance this season (and beyond) looks perilous. However, I don't really care for the produced video packages that are supposed to tug at our heartstrings and manipulate us as viewers. I find these largely a waste of time. And yes, I know I have a heart because I've been crying seeing videos of extreme and unnecessary police brutality surface over the past couple of weeks.

My favorite act so far has been the Dutch group Oxygen. I found their routine haunting, memorable and flawlessly executed.

On 5/28/2020 at 1:16 PM, Whimsy said:

That little 9 year old?  I guess she can do tricks but there is no HEART or emotion to her dancing.  And that's fine, she's 9!  But, she- or anyone her age- shouldn't be on this show.  It's easier to over look with some groups like The Lab, but that little girl was just trick, twirl, trick, trick, trick.  I didn't like it. 

I was surprised the judges were so effusive with praise for little Savannah. She certainly was athletic and acrobatic, but that was more of a gymnastics floor routine than a dance number. Moreover, she had this silly ear to ear grin plastered on her face which bothered me to no end, but that's probably of an issue with bad coaching from her choreographer. It made the whole routine feel very dance recital-y. Dancers should be able to emote beyond smiling, but I understand it may difficult for someone so young in age to do.

On 5/28/2020 at 7:47 PM, saber5055 said:

I could have done without seeing Derek doing hip thrusts with the Williams boys. Why chose that move, Derek? Which brings me to ...

Derek stalking JLo is getting creepy, and it's only the first episode.

What I like least about this show is the judges. JLo and Derek are so obviously full of themselves. Lopez is an executive producer on this show, so the fact that we're subjected to her flaunting her massive diamond engagement ring and referencing her Super Bowl performance is entirely on her, as she's shoehorning it into the show. Derek also cannot help but but his massive ego on display with all the mugging and behind-the-scenes antics he engages in for screen time. When he ran after the Williams brothers after they were told they would not be continuing on, I thought Derek may have felt bad and wanted to have a word of encouragement or consolation but no--he just wanted another opportunity to pimp himself on camera and social media.  I really hope someone from their camp at NBC is lurking here and reading this. WE DO NOT TUNE IN FOR YOUR SELF-ABSORBED 'CELEBRITY' PERSONALITIES.

/gets off soapbox 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Rahul said:

What I like least about this show is the judges. JLo and Derek are so obviously full of themselves. Lopez is an executive producer on this show, so the fact that we're subjected to her flaunting her massive diamond engagement ring and referencing her Super Bowl performance is entirely on her, as she's shoehorning it into the show. Derek also cannot help but but his massive ego on display with all the mugging and behind-the-scenes antics he engages in for screen time. When he ran after the Williams brothers after they were told they would not be continuing on, I thought Derek may have felt bad and wanted to have a word of encouragement or consolation but no--he just wanted another opportunity to pimp himself on camera and social media.  I really hope someone from their camp at NBC is lurking here and reading this. WE DO NOT TUNE IN FOR YOUR SELF-ABSORBED 'CELEBRITY' PERSONALITIES.

Yes to all of this. I watch dance shows to see dance. I am not here for the judges' narcissism and these ridiculous antics.

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Rahul said:

I was surprised the judges were so effusive with praise for little Savannah. She certainly was athletic and acrobatic, but that was more of a gymnastics floor routine than a dance number. Moreover, she had this silly ear to ear grin plastered on her face which bothered me to no end, but that's probably of an issue with bad coaching from her choreographer. It made the whole routine feel very dance recital-y. Dancers should be able to emote beyond smiling, but I understand it may difficult for someone so young in age to do.

Every season they have a young girl (Eva Igo hung around for a couple of seasons) that dances like this. Half their routine is HMVs, the rest is leaps & splits & the whole thing seems more like a gymnastic routine than dancing. They always get pretty far in the competition while the judges fawn all over them. Thankfully, none of them have won yet. Yet.

• Love 4

S4.E3: Qualifiers 3

The qualifiers continue with the competition turned on its head as Jennifer Lopez, Derek Hough and Ne-Yo surprise contestants, who must first perform in a stripped-down warehouse to prove they have what it takes to move forward in the competition.

Original air date: 6/9/20

(edited)

4.3 performances

Upper

Spoiler

Josh & Erica Dance to "Mount Everest" by Labrinth

Upper team

Spoiler

Show Stopper Dances to "Que Calor" by Major Lazer

Junior

Spoiler

MDC 3 Dance to "Apologize" by OneRepublic

Keagan Capps Dances to "Zombie" by Gabriella

Junior team

Spoiler

Chibi Unity Dances to "Some Nights" by Fun.

The Young Cast Dances to "We Run This" by Missy Elliott

The Break Ninjaz: "Beggin'" by Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I feel like the judges are even more irritating this year since they ask every single act that comes through the door, "Aren't you surprised to see US? Aren't you so nervous now that you know that WE are here?" or some shit.

• Love 13
35 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

I feel like the judges are even more irritating this year since they ask every single act that comes through the door, "Aren't you surprised to see US? Aren't you so nervous now that you know that WE are here?" or some shit.

I knew the Japan team would go through based on their extreme and OTT reaction to seeing the judges. Unimpressed teams and dancers (those who didn't squee and almost faint) were sent home.

And did JLo call Derek by some pet name that now I can't remember, like Boo or some such? Gah. Get a room and get it over with.

I liked the break-dancing group that was sent home. And Keagan Capps was another gymnastic floor routine that was especially freaky after watching the contortionist-dancer on AGT just prior to this show. Since when did wrapping your leg around your head and twisting your spine into a 180 become dance moves?

This show is becoming all about gymnastic tricks. Our Olympic team should have applied.

• Love 4
10 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And did JLo call Derek by some pet name that now I can't remember, like Boo or some such? Gah. Get a room and get it over with.

She said "what do you think, baby?"

My favorite act of the night was the contemporary trio, and I'm not generally a fan of contemporary

• Love 5
8 hours ago, marykat71702 said:

She said "what do you think, baby?"

My favorite act of the night was the contemporary trio, and I'm not generally a fan of contemporary

I like the contemporary trio too.  I also liked the break dancing group that was sent home. 

I'm in the minority since I liked Keagan Capps.  She did have contortionist moves and tricks.  But there was an alien quality to her dance movement too.  I think she's better than the 10 year old girl from two weeks ago.  At least, she wasn't all smiles like a cheerleader.

• Love 1
On 5/20/2020 at 5:02 PM, GaT said:

The list of contestants in the article are only from the Junior Team & Upper Team divisions.

The article states there is a Junior Division and Upper Division.

Seems all acts are in one of those two groups.

• Useful 1

I finally got around to watching the latest episode. 

I, too, liked the break dancing group that got sent home and was sad to see them leave. 

Other than that, nobody really stood out to me and this episode was blah. 

• Love 1

S4.E4: Qualifiers 4

In the final round of "The Qualifiers," the competition gets turned on its head as the judges surprise contestants, who must now first perform in a stripped down warehouse to prove they have what it takes.

Original air date: 6/16/20

More 4.4 performances

Upper Team

Spoiler

CBAction Dances to "Boom Boom Boom Boom" by Vengaboys

Junior Team

Spoiler

Gigabots Dance to "Funkin' on the One" by Ozone

Project 21 Dances to "Rich Girl" by Gwen Stefani

Junior

Spoiler

Maddy Penney Dances to "Lonely" by Noah Cyrus

Maddy's routine is exactly the kind of pointe routine I haaaaaate on shows like this. She did almost nothing en pointe so should have just gone barefoot. I don't doubt that she takes ballet but this was not a ballet routine en pointe. It was a contemporary routine where she happened to wear pointe shoes and then did only the most basic elements en pointe.

• Love 5
49 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Maddy's routine is exactly the kind of pointe routine I haaaaaate on shows like this. She did almost nothing en pointe so should have just gone barefoot. I don't doubt that she takes ballet but this was not a ballet routine en pointe. It was a contemporary routine where she happened to wear pointe shoes and then did only the most basic elements en pointe.

Exactly, exactly, exactly. When she started dancing my first thought was that she polluted her ballet with contemporary. I am sick to death of contemporary, but would love to see an actual ballerina. Why do we keep getting these bastardization dances?

• Love 5
11 hours ago, GaT said:

The first guys reminded me of the group from episode one who did all the hand/arm stuff. A lot of movement, not a whole lot of dancing.

Their dance style is tutting, in which the hand/arm movements are the focus of the dance. We rarely see tutting solely as a dance form on TV--usually it's smaller bits of tutting inserted into other choreography.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I just watched Qualifiers 3 and 4 back to back...can't really distinguish between the two in my comments.

These narcissistic judges prompting the contestants to fawn over them is tiring and nauseating. There is definitely a favoritism shown to groups who play the game and stroke the judges' egos. The mediocre group from Japan went through, but the vastly superior breakdancing crew was a firm no. What a shame.

Two routines really stood out to me. The teenage contemporary trio (boy and one blonde, one brunette) made the hair on my arm stand up from the very beginning, and I'm usually either bored or annoyed with contemporary. They really have something. I also really enjoyed Geometrie Variable; their piece was memorable, unique and surprisingly moving for a tutting routine.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, GaT said:

Exactly, exactly, exactly. When she started dancing my first thought was that she polluted her ballet with contemporary. I am sick to death of contemporary, but would love to see an actual ballerina. Why do we keep getting these bastardization dances?

Because Derek is the only one that appreciates ballet.  At least from what I watched from other seasons.  These judges just want to see a bunch of tricks.

This episode was boring.  I did like the geometric shapes made by the French tutting group.  You can see how awful the shapes that were created by the judges.

Also agree about the judges wanting the contestants to fawn over them.  Derek and JLo have big egos and I actually like them.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Rahul said:

These narcissistic judges prompting the contestants to fawn over them is tiring and nauseating. There is definitely a favoritism shown to groups who play the game and stroke the judges' egos. The mediocre group from Japan went through, but the vastly superior breakdancing crew was a firm no. What a shame.

So much this. I am now judging reactions and pre-determining which dancers will get a no based on how much they squee or don't squee when they see The Fabulous Judges. And speaking of, did you know Derek is going to play Vegas, and JLo played there too? For some reason, that private conversation got broadcast to the world.

Only Ne-Yo is not annoying. But now I wonder if he has ever been seen or photographed without some hat or cap. Is he bald or have a big head tat or something? That's starting to irk me too.

I found this episode depressing and a downer after the first fun group, the French geometry dancers. After that, the judges were hating on everyone, and their bad mood rubbed off on this viewer. I did NOT enjoy this episode at all. I might skip a week or two if I can find something else to do.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

Does anyone know if this season was finished before the lockdown started?

I read an article somewhere that said they finished in March, just before everything closed up. 

• Love 2

Nobody is really standing out to me. 

Unlike others, I liked Maddie, the contemporary ballerina. I was surprised the judges weren't sold on her. Everyone else was kind of meh. 

While I really wish they could have been on the show to provide variety from the contemporary, hip hop, salsa that is on the show, I sadly agreed with the judges.  

It made me want a WoD type showcase for indigenous styles. Imagine if we got to see for example Medicine dances, Hula, classical Indian, Chinese fan dancing...

I'd watch shit out of that.

• Love 12
11 hours ago, jewel21 said:

Nobody is really standing out to me. 

Unlike others, I liked Maddie, the contemporary ballerina. I was surprised the judges weren't sold on her. Everyone else was kind of meh. 

I think Maddie has good technique.  I would have rather watched her do a Classical ballet solo or a contemporary ballet that has more ballet and less contemporary tricks.  I think the judges are going to ruin her.  I don't want to see an over emotive contemporary ballet unless she really feels it.  Otherwise, it just looks fake like when kids do contemporary.

• Love 3
(edited)
On 6/18/2020 at 11:02 PM, Vermicious Knid said:

It made me want a WoD type showcase for indigenous styles. Imagine if we got to see for example Medicine dances, Hula, classical Indian, Chinese fan dancing...

I'd be right beside you! There is so much amazing dance in the world, and it's sad that all we see are the same few styles.

Edited by hula-la
Spelling mistake
  • Love 5
15 hours ago, Vermicious Knid said:

I'd be on board for a show like that as well.

NBC had a showcase for classical and traditional international dance forms in 2009 called Superstars of Dance. I enjoyed seeing Kathak and Bharatanatyam represented on mainstream American TV, but the judges were clueless on how to critique dance styles they were unfamiliar with aside from trifling remarks like "loved the energy! Cool hand gestures!" I'm still miffed India didn't take home the gold in the solo competition because the judges didn't understand the intricacies of the footwork and technique involved in Indian classical dance.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/18/2020 at 1:28 PM, saber5055 said:

Only Ne-Yo is not annoying. But now I wonder if he has ever been seen or photographed without some hat or cap. Is he bald or have a big head tat or something? That's starting to irk me too.

Neo has a severe receding hairline. Google images search, "Neo, no hat". There is a mug shot of him with hair which shows his receding hairline.

Edited by luvthepros
  • Useful 2

This show is starting to feel like The Voice...a show I now despise and refuse to watch. I get so angry when they poop all over the really good acts , say no or call back to the meh acts. They seem to love the act, love the choreography, etc. but in the critique for the cameras? They poop all over the act and say no. Making me hate them all. 

I’m beginning to think that this is another season one, a pre-determined winner with pre-determined acts. Having the judging start this early just doesn’t work for me. They’re so narcissistic as is, and getting them in on the ground floor like this guarantees a season I don’t think I’ll be able to stomach. 

Darn it.  I really loved this show. [past tense]

• Love 3

Jennifer keeps telling the performers that this contest is for the best dancers in the world. There are groups/individuals I’ve liked and been impressed by, but definitely not anyone close to “best in the world” worth $1,000,000. Not like last year when I was blown away by the Kings (though tepid on most of their competition). Is it just me or has the talent really diminished?

• Love 10

S04.E05: The Callbacks

Select acts have one last chance to showcase their artistry and athleticism to earn a spot in the duels, where they'll battle for their right to perform on the "World of Dance" stage for the $1 million grand prize.

Original air date: 6/23/20

On 6/21/2020 at 12:20 AM, Babalu said:

Jennifer keeps telling the performers that this contest is for the best dancers in the world. There are groups/individuals I’ve liked and been impressed by, but definitely not anyone close to “best in the world” worth $1,000,000. Not like last year when I was blown away by the Kings (though tepid on most of their competition). Is it just me or has the talent really diminished?

I think the talent has done down too.  I remember the first season, they got a whole bunch of adult hip-hop teams that were really good.  I don't remember any really good groups this year.  I would say the same for the other categories.

• Love 4
(edited)

4.5 performances

Upper

Spoiler

Show Stopper Dances to "16 Shots" by Stefflon Don

Pumpfidence Dances to "Love Don't Cost a Thing" by Jennifer Lopez

The Rise Dances to "OMG" by Usher

Avant Garde Collective Dances to Vivaldi's "Summer Presto"

Junior

Spoiler

The Young Cast Dances to "Children" by Justin Bieber

Team 305 Dances to "Pica"

Project 21 Dances to "Boys" by Lizzo

grvmnt Dances to "Outta Your Mind" by Lil Jon

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
On 6/21/2020 at 2:20 AM, Babalu said:

Honestly, I feel like I can get MUCH better dance content by following specific accounts on Instagram. The content there can be tailored to one's liking, without the heavy focus on acrobatic feats, or the cuts to judge reactions that we get here. It's just plain great dancing. The cuts to the judges on the show annoy me endlessly, even if I understand the likely reason behind it (song copyrights). I may be the outlier on this, but I kinda end up watching this show in less than ten minutes, by only watching the little bit of dancing they do show, and then fast forwarding through all the drama or acts that do not interest me.

• Love 7

It was so obvious who would make the next round because they only showed the full callback for several acts. The rest were all unceremoniously chopped into a 30 second package interspersed with Derek and his endless antics intended to garner more screen time for himself. I do not need to see so much of the judges during the performances! Also, many acts didn't even have their original music played but rather something the editors chose to overlay onto their condensed montages.

Derek has been grating on my last nerve, and we're not even into the duels yet. He's either bouncing up and down in his seat, jumping out of it to dance, or contorting his face and making audible noises throughout the routine to pull the camera's focus. Enough dude! Just shut up and give your critiques.

Also, the sound mixing has been awful this year. It jumps in volume whenever the judges make a comment. Sadly everything about this show has declined in its fourth year, including the talent pool.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, A.Ham said:

Honestly, I feel like I can get MUCH better dance content by following specific accounts on Instagram. The content there can be tailored to one's liking, without the heavy focus on acrobatic feats, or the cuts to judge reactions that we get here. It's just plain great dancing. The cuts to the judges on the show annoy me endlessly, even if I understand the likely reason behind it (song copyrights). I may be the outlier on this, but I kinda end up watching this show in less than ten minutes, by only watching the little bit of dancing they do show, and then fast forwarding through all the drama or acts that do not interest me.

I unliked your post, so that I could like it again. I’m feeling like It should be called World of Tricks. I love a well-placed “wow” moment, but the constant reliance on what seem like potentially career ending tricks cheapens the show for me. I love dance. Dance brings me life. This show is increasingly not. 

• Love 5