Type keyword(s) to search

Looking - General Discussion

David T. Cole
  • Start Topic

12 hours ago, Garnett7 said:

Kevin was typical Kevin. While I agreed with every word he said to Patrick, he was still an ass in his way of saying it. He really let all his bitterness hang out while ignoring his own hand in his break-up with Jon. He pursued Patrick while being with Jon so he's just as at fault in his life becoming a mess as Patrick was, moreso perhaps. The person I feel sorry for is Jon. Because I think Kevin went back to him out of habit and because he was familiar and comfortable. He clearly still has feelings for Patrick and would've dumped Jon in a second (again) if Patrick had suggested they reunite. Jon deserves better.

Brady -- what an ass. I couldn't even feel sorry for him in dating someone he knew was in love with someone else. Loved Patrick's smackdown of him.

I wish Doris had actually been pregnant. I'd love to see her with a kid. Please tell me why Augustin invited Frank (that is his ex's name, right) to his bachelor party? Cause all he did was throw passive-aggressive shade.

I'm going to focus on the three guys who didn't end up with the guys that they wanted: Frank, Brady and Kevin.

I think that Agustin invited Frank to his bachelor party, because he really does think he's a nice guy and wants to try and keep him in his life. Yet, I was thinking, "How in the world is Frank handling the reality of seeing his ex (who was this utter mess when he was with him destroyed their relationship, which resulted in him having to kick him out of his place), in this happy, successful and engaged to another man?!" Frank handled it by getting really drunk and spilling all the awful things that Agustin initially said about marriage and how horrible he treated him during their relationship. I thought that was awesome, because it ties back to the pilot episode and Patrick having to face his ex and the engagement party.

Brady - I actually like the character and felt for him, because it's horrible being in the rebound role. I can imagine the talks that he and Richie probably had about Patrick and him seeing how much Richie still had feelings for his ex, but being in total denial about it. The frustration came out in his sniping about Patrick and Kevin being "everything that is wrong about gays" to him accusing him of using his "private jet" to steal Richie from him. Too bad that Kyah wasn't able to take him out of the club, but she was having a good time and making out with two women.

Kevin, Kevin, Kevin.....I applaud Lannan, Haigh, the series team of writers and Tovey for being willing to show the absolute messiness of the love interest that was supposedly seen to be as the "perfect guy" for the lead character. This guy, who on paper had all the things that should have made him work with Patrick, but it didn't. Kevin went back to the man, that he said "he was glad that he had cheated om him". He's never going to be truly happy with Jon and I don't think that Jon will be happy with him and wander if in the far away future, Jon will finally say: "Screw this mess" and leave Kevin.

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 11:53 PM, Sheenieb said:

One of the strongest scenes was between Kevin and Patrick. There were truths to both arguments. Patrick is a coward, and their relationship probably wouldn't have worked, but we'll never know.

The Patrick/Kevin interlude was a short film unto itself.  Such fine, detailed performances from both actors.  I felt like I was watching Linklater's Before Sunset...and I can think of no higher praise than that.

• Love 3

I felt like the movie would have been about 45 minutes long if they had cut out at least half the shots of Patrick looking pensively at various things. 

I also wanted to tell Doris that her "conversation" with her boyfriend about whether to have kids needed to have ended yesterday given her age.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, shrewd.buddha said:

It seems as if the movie wanted to end on a note of "riding off into the sunset", which is understandable ... but if the series had continued, you know that Patrick would have continued to bounce between boyfriends and be the neurotic Patrick that you love/hate. The movie also cemented the feeling that this was a show centered around Jonathan Groff -- which isn't a problem for me. It was just odd that the show seemed to be presented as being about three friends living in SF. 

I think the Patrick we got in this movie was put on course last season when he got his head shaved.  I do think Patrick would likely be still at Most Dangerous Games with all the messiness that implied but I think his journey would be a growing experience instead of a regressive experience where he'd bounce between two guys.  Based on interviews, it sounds like he might have had another love interest for a bit.

Kevin never acknowledges Jon as much of a significant  other, just a placeholder.  Kevin definitely had issues. 

Yep.  I think he'll be with Jon for a while unless Jon leaves him.  He's more afraid of being alone.   

• Love 2

When Brady shouted at Patrick that he can't think he can just fly in on his private jet and take Ritchie, I remarked that I wanted Patrick to respond "of course not! I don't have a private jet." So I was pleased that Doris picked up on that nonsense.

• Love 1

Agreed with everyone who would like Haigh/Lannan/HBO to revisit these characters (and San Francisco) every couple of years. Looking's characters in almost no way reflected my life as a gay man in SF, but I enjoyed them (largely...) anyway and, besides, I don't watch TV as a mirror. I had a few nitpicks with this installment (because there'll be more, RIGHT?!), like the storylines were tied up a bit too neatly and characters we didn't see (sadly) were mentioned in passing (Patrick's mom, Lynn, Owen, CJ). Patrick and Kevin's coffee shop scene at Van Ness and Market was almost difficult to watch, so kudos to Groff and Tovey. What I may miss most of all about Looking is seeing the city I live in on screen. The cinematography so perfectly captured the dusty pastels of this city and the hazy quality of the light here. In fact, I wish this installment had had more daylight exterior scenes, but given that it largely centered around a wedding weekend, it would of course be in bars and restaurants and City Hall. The final shot of them eating at Orphan Andy's at Castro and Market Streets was just gorgeous in a pre-dawn Hopperesque way. (I walk by that intersection nearly every day.) And if that's how I have to remember Looking, then so be it.

But can we get a spinoff for Tyne Daly's justice of the peace? (Unmarried, yet wears a wedding band as a prop, "because no one wants a fat trainer at the gym." *That* made me laugh out loud.)

• Love 4

What I really liked about this movie is that it did a good job of capturing the essence of the characters and their relationships to each other in a way that was relatable: Patrick returning to a place he used to call home and seeing how much he had changed as well a show much things had both changed and stayed the same in his absence, Agustin worrying that he would fuck it all up and hurt Eddie, Doris confessing that she hadn't told Dom about having kids with Malik because it destroyed the future she had always imagined and how sad it made her, Patrick reconnecting with Richie as they walked around dragging his suitcase which led to him yearning to see Kevin one more time, Patrick and Dom wondering if being best friends meant they should be a couple, Kevin kicking the emotional shit out of Patrick and then telling him that he loved him. I'm not a gay man but I could relate to all of those situations. The realism of this show was about how people feel. ITA that it felt a lot like Before Sunrise - lots of talking but not a lot of huge plot points.

Kevin was the same manipulative asshole who still manages to get in some truthful digs that he's always been. Seeing how quickly he turned on Patrick and attacked him at Philz made me so glad that Patrick was no longer with him. Patrick may be a lot of things, but no one deserves to be with a manipulator like Kevin. I found it hilarious that Kevin accused Patrick of being a coward who ran home when Kevin basically did the same thing when he tucked his tail between his legs and ran straight back to John after he and Patrick broke up. I support Patrick's decision to leave MDG. It's bad enough to have to see your ex every day at work, but it's even worse when you have to see your manipulative jerk of an ex every day at work. As for leaving San Francisco, sometimes you just need a change of scenery. On top of that, San Francisco is like a small town - you will run into people you know everywhere, partly because the city of San Francisco itself is not very large and it's even smaller when you mostly eat/shop/work in the same area. It's difficult to heal and get over a bad breakup when you keep running into your ex.

Brady was a dick, as per usual. I don't think they pumped up his dickish nature either. Nothing he said or did seemed out of line with the Brady we saw in previous episodes. Patrick was right about Brady's attitude - he thinks there is one correct way to be a dick and everyone else is doing it wrong in Brady's eyes. His holier than thou attitude always bugged me. I don't feel bad for Brady being Richie's rebound guy either. if you've been dating for a year, you know what the score is. If the person you're with doesn't love you the way you love them, you can stay or you can go.

I wasn't rooting for Patrick to get back together with Richie though. It's not that I dislike Richie or anything, but I would have been fine with Patrick leaving that door closed. I really liked the scene where Richie and Patrick were trailing behind everyone and catching up. I've been Patrick in that situation where I've crossed paths with an ex and it was exhilarating to be talking to someone who you loved and who knows you in a way that other people don't but there's still that little bit of trepidation because you both know that things are different between you now.

I was cracking up at how hard Patrick was trying to talk himself and Dom into being a couple. To me, that was much more an example of how perfect on paper doesn't always translate to reality than Patrick/Kevin.

Agustin has definitely had the most growth of all the characters on the show. It was nice to see him so happy with Eddie, but it was also realistic to see him questioning himself because he changed from the guy who railed against the institution of marriage to a guy who wanted to be married. And even though the way Frankie brought it up was mean-spirited, I was actually kind of glad that Frankie reminded him of the things he used to say because it shows that people can change (and as Patrick pointed out to Agustin, it's totally okay to change). We saw Doris to a lesser degree talking shit about herself for turning into the kind of person who has dinner parties and acts like a suburbanite. I kind of wish we'd had a scene with Doris and Agustin talking one on one about how they've changed. Aside from his freakout at Indian Rock, Agustin seemed a lot more at peace with the way he changed. Doris still seems resentful about how she's changed and is still resisting her domesticity.

I actually liked that Richie wanted to leave San Francisco. As he pointed out, everyone runs away from their old lives and comes to San Francisco. As one of the rare SF area natives, he hasn't really had the opportunity to do that. I think no matter how much you love where you're from, it's good to move away, even if only for a year or two, to experience another city or state. I think going to Texas will be a good experience for Richie.

• Love 5

It sounds like the movie was just an extended version of the last episode of the series, so now I don't see why it was needed at all. Probably why I'm not watching it. The thought of the Kevin scene is tempting but not quite enough. Glad folks here liked it.

(edited)

My verdict: I liked it. As a fan of Looking who thought it was underrated and ended way too soon, it was great to see these characters again, even the ones who sometimes worked my last nerve, which leads me to Patrick, whose move to Denver was both a good and bad idea. The good: it helped Patrick career-wise and it gave him a chance to clear his head, which was long overdue. The bad: Patrick ran away from his problems again. However, Patrick's willingness to confront his issues and to help his friends confront theirs showed actual maturity on his part. Ditto for Agustin, who has changed for the way better since S1, as his getting a job, almost paying his share of the rent, being friends with Frank and his relationship with Eddie proved. Eddie has been a good influence on Agustin and vice versa. When Eddie got cold feet about his & Agustin's wedding because Eddie's mom couldn't be there in person, Agustin convinced him that it's the marriage, not the wedding that counts. Agustin had a pre-wedding crisis of his own, but thanks to Patrick, he realized that just because his life didn't turn out the way he planned, that didn't mean it would suck-not always, anyway. 

As for Dom, his having a successful restaurant is great, but I missed Lynn. Eddie's friend Jake is cute, but he's no Lynn. It would have been nice to have at least gotten a cameo from Scott Bakula, if only for the eye candy. As far as I'm concerned, if Agustin & Eddie, Doris & Malik and Patrick & Richie could get their HEAs, then so should Dom & Lynn. Thank goodness Patrick & Dom didn't sleep together. Their drunken attempted hook-up was more than enough on that front. Good for them for not risking years of friendship for cheap thrills. Speaking of risks, while Doris & Malik's still being together is good news, them becoming parents is risky, especially for Doris, given her age and her occasional willingness to party. However, I think that Doris & Malik would be great parents, especially with Dom as a godfather. About Kevin, while he did have a good point about Patrick's cowardice when it came to him & Richie, he's also the same guy who reunited with Jon & is running back to England. Patrick & Kevin were doomed for too many reasons and deep down they both knew it, hence the breakup,which Kevin didn't take any responsibility for. The way I see it, Kevin doesn't love Jon; he just hates being alone more. Big difference. I think that Jon knows that Kevin was cheating on him before the split, but I don't think he knows it was with Patrick, whom Kevin is still in love with despite everything that has happened, otherwise he wouldn't have arranged for him to get another job at MDG nor kissed him and told him so. Kevin's lecturing Patrick about taking the easy way out when he's doing the same thing reeks of hypocrisy. Just because Jon knows now that Kevin messes around that doesn't mean that Kevin deserves him, just that Jon deserves better.   

Speaking of better, I'm glad that Patrick & Richie are back together because while Kevin seemed better for Patrick in theory, Richie is better for him period. At least Richie owns his shit; Kevin, otoh, blamed the inevitable implosion of his relationship with Patrick on Patrick, as if he had nothing to do with it. Richie's staying with Brady despite still loving Patrick wasn't his finest hour, but Brady's not an innocent bystander. I think Brady knew all along that Richie and Patrick still loved each other because every time Richie & Patrick were alone together for more than 30 seconds, Brady swooped between them faster than Usain Bolt. Brady's being a borderline alcoholic, self-righteous asshole didn't help either. Brady could have ended things just as easily as Richie could have.  To Patrick's credit, he was very compassionate with Richie when he confessed about his mistake with Brady. Given that he not only made the same mistake that Richie did-being with the wrong man for the wrong reasons-he was a homewrecker in the bargain, Patrick knew that judging Richie wasn't an option. Patrick's choosing to go to Texas with Richie seems as impulsive as his moving in with Kevin, but the difference is that this time Patrick chose to be with the man he loves for selfless reasons, not the man whom he thought he loved for selfish ones. I'm among those who think that while this movie gives a nice sense of closure, occasional sequels wouldn't hurt. Bonus points if they include Scott Bakula. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3
35 minutes ago, fastiller said:

Jonathan Groff & Raul Castillo  were on NPR's Ask Me Another today.

That was originally aired/released back during season 2 but they rereleased it in honor the movie.  It was fun. 

• Love 1
On 7/27/2016 at 7:53 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I actually liked that Richie wanted to leave San Francisco. As he pointed out, everyone runs away from their old lives and comes to San Francisco. As one of the rare SF area natives, he hasn't really had the opportunity to do that. I think no matter how much you love where you're from, it's good to move away, even if only for a year or two, to experience another city or state. I think going to Texas will be a good experience for Richie.

I agree about moving away, although if his family is homophobic perhaps it's best not to get too close. 

There is real value to moving away, especially when one feels stuck and doesn't have any obligations tying them down, as Patrick didn't and as Richie doesn't.  I remember going abroad and one of the things I was surprised about was how freeing it was to be released from not only people's expectations of me but of how I behaved or how they expected me to think. I know of at least two former classmates who came out once they weren't around their families daily.

I do wonder why Richie issued a firm "no" to Denver. Has he ever been to Denver.  Didn't want to rely too much about Patrick and Patrick's support system?

On 7/27/2016 at 11:56 AM, DollEyes said:

The good: it helped Patrick career-wise and it gave him a chance to clear his head, which was long overdue. The bad: Patrick ran away from his problems again.

Is running away from problems really Patrick's issue?  I know Kevin accuses him of this but I think it's just his POV because he wanted Patrick to stay to try to work things out.  Patrick was a coward, privileged, unsure of himself and perhaps conflict avoidant but the only "problem" I felt he ran from was Kevin.  However, I wouldn't even call walking away from Kevin as "running away from a problem" but rather by its most common term as "ending a relationship." Patrick didn't owe anything to anyone.  He decided his short-lived relationship wasn't going to work out.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 0:50 AM, bunnywithanaxe said:

Goddamn IMDB. Before this site launched, a huge group of regulars would meet up evey week to dish on the TV show board. 

Just now Patrick's hookup was swooning over Kevin's ears, and I went there to look up a post where I did the same thing, and discovered huge swathes of content had been deleted . . .

I feel your pain, AxeBunny.  I'm on IMDb as much as here (i.e. way too much) and the deletion policy--probably an algorithm?--is atrocious.  The shows that inspire the most discussion, which usually include some detailed background research and/or long thoughtful discourse, suffer the most.  People who understand techno-computer stuff say "storage capacity" isn't a viable excuse these days when apparently you can compact the world into a thimble.  Knock that shit off, IMDb.  And get a "like" button already.

I only binge-watched the marathon leading up to the movie, so I didn't have the two-year investment in these characters the rest of you did.  I liked Dom and Lyn, Augustin and Eddie, Richie and Kevin, all better than Patrick.  Patrick seemed like kind of a weaksauce lynchpin for the whole (s)hebang.  I mean, he didn't boldly strike out on his own for Seattle or LA or NYC, he spent a year living a few minutes away from his mother and deleted his Facebook page.

The movie could have used more of the richness and depth of the Kevin segment and less par-tay!, but I guess if they were going to pick a spot, that was the place.  I found all Kevin's conflicting emotions and ultimate end-story very believable (except maybe setting Patrick up for a plummy new job--that would have been really generous.)

12 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

That was originally aired/released back during season 2 but they rereleased it in honor the movie.  It was fun. 

I didn't realize it was a repeat. Usually they say if a program is a re-run. You are right - it was fun.

• Love 1
(edited)

Is running away from problems really Patrick's issue? I know Kevin accuses him of this but I think it's just his POV because he wanted Patrick to stay to try to work things out. Patrick was a coward, privileged, unsure of himself and perhaps conflict avoidant but the only "problem" I felt he ran from was Kevin. However, I wouldn't even call walking away from Kevin as "running away from a problem" but rather by its most common term "ending a relationship." Patrick didn't owe anything to anyone. He decided his short-term relationship wasn't going to work out. 

The way I see it, Kevin wasn't the only thing Patrick was running away from. He ran from how little he felt that his life had changed since he moved to San Francisco, hence his return to Denver. One of the few, if not the only, things Kevin was right about re Patrick is his tendency to quit on a relationship when it gets just the slightest bit tough, whether it was with him or Richie. Instead of doing the hard work to try to make things work, Patrick tends to either not want to hear the truth from his friends re Kevin or make excuses for why it shouldn't last, whether it was with his mother re Richie or with Kevin himself, which lead to their breakup. 

Then there's Richie, who IMO Patrick never really got over, as the scene at the outdoor rave in the S2 premiere , when a stoned Patrick thought that he saw/kissed Richie, only to call Kevin for a quickie in the woods proved. Patrick said in the finale during the reunion scene that he knew that he was in love with Richie when Richie confessed that he was very close to falling for Patrick, but he knew Patrick wasn't ready, which was when Patrick chose to settle for Kevin. I agree that Patrick didn't owe anyone anything, but he knew that he couldn't avoid Kevin and/or Richie forever and he had to deal with his feelings for both and I think he made the right decision both times. 

The only part of the movie I didn't like was Randy. A 22-year-old who's had boyfriends since he was 16 and knows more about the world than people older than him? Bullshit. 

Edited by DollEyes

I saw the movie (I'm having a bit of a pity party day, laying in bed and doing nothing constructive) and I feel I should've rewatched the series before I saw the movie as only coming here clued me into certain details. 

I have to say, I'm not surprised AT ALL that Kevin went back to John. Not one bit. Those two will probably do their thing for another decade until Jon realizes Kevin is never going to see him other than a "security blanket" and he leaves him. While he had some intelligent things to say to Patrick, I really don't think he was the person to say them, aka "Pot Meet Kettle". 

I enjoyed the judge and her fake wedding ring. 

• Love 3

ElectricBoogaloo wrote:

"Patrick reconnecting with Richie as they walked around dragging his suitcase which led to him yearning to see Kevin one more time"

I never made the connection of Patrick's suitcase and him lugging it around him, that first night back in SF to him needing to finally ending things with Kevin, face to face. I think that the entire relationship between Kevin and Patrick was bad for them both. I think they each used the other, in order to get similar and separate wants: Kevin wanted out of his relationship with Jon and didn't want to be alone. Patrick wanted and needed somebody, anybody to help him stop wanting, hoping, thinking and desiring Richie and Kevin fit that need. 

• Love 2

I have to say, I'm not suprised AT ALL that Kevin went back to John. Not one bit.  Those two will probably do their thing for another decade until Jon realizes Kevin is never going to see him other than a "security blanket: and he leaves him. 

I don't think they'll last another two years, let alone ten.  I wouldn't be suprised if Jon's epiphany about Kevin was like the lyrics in LaRoux's "I'm Not Yoyr Toy": "It's all false love and affection/You don't love me, you just want the attention. /It's all false love and affection./ You don't want me/You just love the attention." 

• Love 1

I just watched it. I liked it. I missed seeing Lynn, but to a certain extent I'm fine with no Lynn. Dom's total arc has always been about him growing professionally because he's was horrified to realize that he'd spent close to 25 years not building anything permanent for himself. Dom never seemed to be too bothered by not having a boyfriend or LTR, but he was extremely bothered that he was a 40 year old waiter.

I didn't think Brady was too over the top. This seemed to be pretty consistent to how he was on the show. It did strike me how much Brady reminded me of season 1 Agustin. 

Kevin was Kevin. He lays some truth out while still being an enormous hypocrite. 

• Love 6
On 7/26/2016 at 0:43 PM, AllAboutMBTV said:

But can we get a spinoff for Tyne Daly's justice of the peace? (Unmarried, yet wears a wedding band as a prop, "because no one wants a fat trainer at the gym." *That* made me laugh out loud.)

She must be surprised that Catholic Priests actually perform marriages!

I've been watching this show for the first time and I'm halfway through Season 2. 

I can't stop laughing about how they think of Lynn as the old guy, and Dom makes some crack about how he can't believe he's with a guy that old-- and then we find out Lynn's 57. I'm 57. Maybe dyke years count differently than gay man years, but seriously-- I have a friend in her 90s; she's old. 57 is not old in my community. So, it was just a shock, but in a funny way. I'm not offended. I just can't stop laughing.

12 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I can't stop laughing about how they think of Lynn as the old guy, and Dom makes some crack about how he can't believe he's with a guy that old-- and then we find out Lynn's 57. I'm 57. Maybe dyke years count differently than gay man years, but seriously--

For some of the younger guys--it's ah youth.

But I think Dom made that comment because he's so youth obsessed and afraid of aging.  He tends to pick up younger lovers and is more likely to be with someone 17 years younger than 17 years older.

I get that it was a change in Dom's typical patterns. It just struck me as funny. Did he plan to stop having sex when he got older? This kind of thing always makes me laugh. It's also kind of sad.

I haven't seen the movie because I don't have HBOMax, but I finished watching Season 2 today (Netflix has the DVDs). 

Most of my thoughts were expressed already upthread, and I realize people have moved on and I'm years behind. But I will say that this is the first time I've seen anyone suggest that getting a buzz cut makes them look LESS like a lesbian. And, again, I laugh uproariously at that idea. Speaking as a lesbian who had a shaved head for quite a while, and for whom it did not make me look unusual among my people, it's just hilarious to me that anyone could make this statement. 

I wish the show hadn't been cancelled. I really liked it, even though of course the characters were flawed and often annoying. I thought they did a good job of exposing and examining the ways real people are in fact flawed and annoying, without wallowing in the "anti-hero" trope or making you root for evil to triumph. They didn't give a pass to bad behavior. They didn't make excuses. It was painful, but it was also human.

Also, in the irritation with Patrick's sister conversation, I think people missed where she said that if you are unhappy in your relationship, you should tell your partner before you just pull the plug. Maybe you can't work it out. But to not even try, nor admit it's happening? To hide your unhappiness and then just end a long term relationship with your fiance with no warning or explanation-- a person who does that is not someone you can trust, they are not someone who treats others with any respect, and yes, it's wrong. 

Sis was wrong about a lot. But she wasn't wrong about everything. And that's one of the things I liked about the series. Even when people were wrong, they weren't ALWAYS wrong. I find that to be true of real people, as well, and I like seeing it in fiction. It challenges the viewer to stay lucid and think, rather than just take sides and over-simplify. It's a good way to view life, as well as television.

Edited by possibilities
fix typo