Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Serve & Protect

• Start Topic

Terry's ex replaces Teddy in evaluating the precinct, but Jake and Rosa are distracted by a burglary case that occurred on the set of one of their favorite detective TV shows. As the rest of the Nine-Nine concentrate on the audit (and Terry's past relationship strategies), Jake and Rosa pass time with the series star and producer, who meddle in the case and charm Jake with the glamour of show business.

I know I sound like a broken record, since I say this about almost every pairing on this show (damn, they struck gold with the cast), but I really enjoy the Jake/Rosa duo.  I just like the history they have and how they interact with one another, with Rosa being willing to put up with Jake's shit and call him out when the time calls for it, but still be able to forgive and support one another when the time calls for it.  Loved the bit when Rosa admits that she is worried that she might not see Jake again if the Nine Nine split, and Jake reassuring her that would never happen.  In general, I just like how all the friendships on this show feel genuine, but different for each one of them (Jake's friendship with Rosa is clearly different then the one he has with Boyle, for example.)

Jake fanboying over a case involving a TV star and getting to rub shoulders with television bigwigs was a bit obvious, but I still enjoyed it.  Nathan Fillion was clearly having fun poking fun at both cop shows and method actors.  Any time an actor is playing a method actor on film/television, I always wonder if they ever base if off experiences they had with real life method actors.  I figured he would be the thief, since the producer was too obvious (they even got Greg Germann to play him!), but I liked how it was Mark's mistake with claiming he never wore gloves on the show that did him in.  Since he is only going down for thievery instead of something worse, I wonder if they'll find a way to have him pop up again somewhere down the line.

Holt and Boyle's plot was mainly a throwaway, but I can't complain too much over watching Boyle teach Holt the art of casually blackmailing someone, complete with eyebrow raises.  Holt's eyebrow raising was on point.  There isn't anything Andre Braugher can't do!

Like Gina and Amy, I figured that Terry's "perfect break-up" (loved how everyone was clapping for him in the restaurant, during his "version") would end up being not so perfect, but I didn't predict it would be because he planned on breaking up with her a year earlier, but then her mom died, so he stayed longer, but gave her the same gift with the old receipt!  At least he apologized to Veronica, but it might be too late! I wonder if she'll be back, since Kimberly Herbert Gregory is capable of much more (Vice Principals!) 

• Love 5
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Nathan Fillion was clearly having fun poking fun at both cop shows and method actors.  Any time an actor is playing a method actor on film/television, I always wonder if they ever base if off experiences they had with real life method actors

That's fun to think about, but let's not forget that it's writers who create the situations and lines. They no doubt have their own histories with self-indulgent actors.

5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I figured he would be the thief, since the producer was too obvious (they even got Greg Germann to play him!), but I liked how it was Mark's mistake with claiming he never wore gloves on the show that did him in.

That's so funny that we both reacted that way: "Oh, it's Greg Germann -- he must be the villain, oh wait, that's too obvious, it's probably someone else." And a TV star being aware that there are fans who are obsessed with seeing his fingers (and, even more, feet) seemed very true to life.

• Love 2

Not a whole lot of LOL moments but Holt and Boyd pumping eyebrows was quite funny.

Love Jake and Rosa.  Love that Jake and Amy are together and yet not even mentioned....this show is the best.  

The yogurt in Amy's hair was not planned....MF said on twitter that CP was savage and that it almost broke her but she didn't want to ruin the scene.  And because of that I found it even more hilarious.

• Love 1

I love that even when the show used his name for a disgusting pervert who gets shot a million times, Jake was still super excited that the cop show used his name!

Nathan Fillion was clearly having a good time here, and it was funny seeing the parody of cop show clichés and method actors. Not a lot of huge laughs this week, but still really funny and likable as always. I always like seeing Rosa and Jake together, they work off each other so well.

Of course Terry tried to be nice, and it backfired on him. I cant see him ever being deliberately cruel to a girlfriend. Or anyone.

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 5
13 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Of course Terry tried to be nice, and it backfired on him. I cant see him ever being deliberately cruel to a girlfriend. Or anyone.

And related, how sad he was about the one friend he lost in the breakup.

• Love 2

The tag had me ROTFL-"I'm Jake Peralta, the grossest pervert of all time!"

I love Jake and Rosa episodes. Their dynamic is my favorite.

Gina slapping the yogurt against the wall was another great moment.

I knew it was too easy that Rosa was right and the producer was guilty. Although Jake being was too star struck.

Loved the "pump pump pump" scene with Holt and Boyle. Also Boyle's line "From now on the only 'black male' I want anything to do with is you." and Holt's reaction!

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 5

I kind of liked the "pump pump pump" scenes, yet the joke wasn't one of the better ones for Holt. 

I think my favorite part was the end with Jake watching the show and being excited about his name being used for a character. Great revenge by the show runner.

I'm disappointed Gina is already out of her halo.

I liked hearing what a considerate boyfriend Terry was.

Terry: Tommy turned Terry onto tennis.

Jake: This door is fake. Not a real door. It's a dornt, as in, "Dornt open this," and "Dornt ruin my dreams!"

• Love 4

I loved the eyebrow pumping scene. Especially how it was 'risky' to end on a double pump. Died laughing. Only to die again when we met Jake Peralta 'the grossest pervert of all time'

I am so glad Brooklyn Nine Nine missed absolutely no beats during their hiatus.

• Love 3

Didn't Nathan Fillion get fired from Castle for kicking someone? Or am I thinking of someone else?

I am so glad Brooklyn Nine Nine missed absolutely no beats during their hiatus.

The ratings sure took a hit.

4 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Didn't Nathan Fillion get fired from Castle for kicking someone? Or am I thinking of someone else?

That was the guy from Criminal Minds. 

*Pump* This was a great episode *Pump Pump* That's the one!

(Totally doesn't work in the context of the pumping, but I Had to get it in there!)

Every plot hit for me. I loved Fillion acting all incredulous at the end to quickly come down when they put the laptop in front of him. I know he's capable of much more. But Fillion as Network Sitcom guest star has been tremendous.

• Love 5

I really liked how the fake Law & Order show was set up to make fun of cop show clichés but then Gina was using practically every cop show cliché when she had Terry in the interrogation room. I think her, Terry and Amy in the box was my favorite part.

• Love 2

Every time I so much as think about Andy Samberg's face and delivery of the "Nice try trying to hurt my feelings" line when Rosa insulted "Lead the way hombre" I start laughing to myself. He really is great at face-acting.

• Love 3
On 4/19/2017 at 1:43 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Nathan Fillion was clearly having fun poking fun at both cop shows and method actors. 

Put them together and they spell "Castle"!  L:OL

On 4/19/2017 at 1:57 PM, VCRTracking said:

I love Jake and Rosa episodes. Their dynamic is my favorite.
Also Boyle's line "From now on the only 'black male' I want anything to do with is you." and Holt's reaction!

"No Touching" though.
"I knew it was wrong but I had to say it!"

• Love 1

B99 (and other sitcoms like Parks & Rec and Happy Endings) has this amazing quality of ... total lack of embarrassment for the characters.  They are who they are, everyone knows it, and everyone embraces it.  I really wish real life could be like that.

Edited by dusang
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, dusang said:

B99 (and other sitcoms like Parks & Rec and Happy Ending) has this amazing quality of ... total lack of embarrassment for the characters.  They are who they are, everyone knows it, and everyone embraces it.  I really wish real life could be like that.

One of the reasons I couldn't get into P&R was because how mean everyone was.  That and Amy Poehler is never funny.