Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E18: Snowbound

• Start Topic

I already hate the term "make love" because I think it's creepy, but Kelly saying it in her baby voice makes it 1000% creepier. Her voice reminds me of what Jan Hooks said about Victoria Jackson, "You're a grown woman. Use your lower register!"

• Love 5
1 hour ago, MerBearStare said:

I already hate the term "make love" because I think it's creepy, but Kelly saying it in her baby voice makes it 1000% creepier. Her voice reminds me of what Jan Hooks said about Victoria Jackson, "You're a grown woman. Use your lower register!"

I totally agree. The kids on this show use that phrase all the time. What college kid talks like that? It is as if the writers were forbidden to use the terms "have sex", "hook up" or simply "bang". I wish someone had the time and patience to do a tally on many times "make love" appeared on the series. Any takers?

• Love 3

I laughed at the Montblanc pen stuff. I found one at my job last year, and when it went unclaimed for several weeks, I took it home and sold it on Ebay. Me and my wife still talk about my lucky Montblanc score.

• Love 7

I cannot even imagine having a pen that cost that much... or even cost $5! I "get" all my pens from work.  People are always stealing pens and I lose things so much.  I would turn into the most annoying person constantly hunting down my pen or refusing to let someone borrow it. 

Does the pen write really well? I get compliments on my office depot pens all the time. 

Did Kelly and Collin blow through $10G in one day? 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, allicatexp said:

I totally agree. The kids on this show use that phrase all the time. What college kid talks like that? It is as if the writers were forbidden to use the terms "have sex", "hook up" or simply "bang". I wish someone had the time and patience to do a tally on many times "make love" appeared on the series. Any takers?

I think we used the term "getting busy" or "getting some" when I was in college.   Heck, I'd even take a "do it" vs "make love".  I used to cringe when that "I'll make love to you" song was really popular. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Earmuffs Mom said:

I love how Val is the voice of reason in the gang who is swimming in a sea of denial.  

I love how Val's evidence is that Kelly was nice to her and bought her a gift, heh.

What struck me listening to the podcast was how many times the various characters - Claire, Donna, David - made reference to how long it's been since they've seen Kelly, they haven't seen her lately, etc.  Just how long did Kelly disappear into a drug binge between her snorting with her dad's check in the last one and where we pick up in this one?  Because it sounds like it's been, like, a month, which is weird.

• Love 3

I laughed at the Montblanc pen stuff. I found one at my job last year, and when it went unclaimed for several weeks, I took it home and sold it on Ebay. Me and my wife still talk about my lucky Montblanc score.

that's a total sanders move.

rush sanders that is.

• Love 1

Ha, I loved the discussion during the podcast about the pen - my dad actually collects fountain pens, possibly the world's most boring hobby, but there are actually entire clubs and internet forums and interest groups around fountain pens. It's kind of bizarre how invested some people are in their pens. 

But then, I'm here discussing a 20-year-old teen soap opera, so I can't really judge. 

"Internet in a Box! I've been saving up for this!" is one of the all-time classic lines from the entire series. And just how much did Internet in a Box cost?? 

It's kind of strange how much of Season 6 focuses on the main gang's significant others - Joe's heart, Susan's dead sister and her abortion in one of the next episodes, Colin and his dumb art bullshit and his dumb dad. Kelly still has a good bit of her own stuff to do, even if it's ridiculous, but a lot of Brandon and Donna's storylines this season mainly consist of them reacting to things happening with Joe and Susan. 

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, atlanticslide said:

Ha, I loved the discussion during the podcast about the pen - my dad actually collects fountain pens, possibly the world's most boring hobby, but there are actually entire clubs and internet forums and interest groups around fountain pens. It's kind of bizarre how invested some people are in their pens. 

But then, I'm here discussing a 20-year-old teen soap opera, so I can't really judge. 

"Internet in a Box! I've been saving up for this!" is one of the all-time classic lines from the entire series. And just how much did Internet in a Box cost?? 

It's kind of strange how much of Season 6 focuses on the main gang's significant others - Joe's heart, Susan's dead sister and her abortion in one of the next episodes, Colin and his dumb art bullshit and his dumb dad. Kelly still has a good bit of her own stuff to do, even if it's ridiculous, but a lot of Brandon and Donna's storylines this season mainly consist of them reacting to things happening with Joe and Susan. 

While Steve,  Claire and David was like no story lines. 

"Internet in a box" - Top tier line. 

Also Brandon sucks sooooo bad.  And it sucks that David is like 2nd choice to Colin.  Like he is a better choice by far. Come on Val.

I didn't know there were several types of traffic schools. 

11 hours ago, SoupThrower said:

And it sucks that David is like 2nd choice to Colin.  Like he is a better choice by far. Come on Val.

Yeah, while I remembered that Val's crush on Colin continued to linger even while she was with David, to set the table for what's coming up later in this season, I didn't recall it being so blatant and Val/David having so little to do outside of it.  But I think there's some good, soapy stuff with Val and David when Ginger comes back, right?

Edited by TeeVee329

I think part of this is that the main characters are fairly boring on their own, and the writers kind of abandon their development for more interesting ideas.  I give the show some credit, if only because, at least for Susan and Colin, they tried to develop them, not just have them be the boyfriend/girlfriend of a main character, who would be written out after a few episodes.   

15 hours ago, TeeVee329 said:

I love how Val's evidence is that Kelly was nice to her and bought her a gift, heh.

I know, and THAT is the thing that makes the others go "hmm, you just might be onto something." None of the other red flags registered, just the one about how out of character it is for Kelly to be nice to Val, so of course she's high.

12 hours ago, atlanticslide said:

Colin and his dumb art bullshit and his dumb dad.

This accurately describes the entire existence of the character of Colin.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, atlanticslide said:

Colin and his dumb art bullshit and his dumb dad.

And by the way, what he said about his dad in this episode doesn't jive with what he said earlier in the season.  Didn't he say, I think in the episode with Kelly's retconned birthday, that he had a good relationship with his dad, but that his dad didn't get his art?  But now his dad's an asshole artist?

Colin is much more of a twerp than I remembered.  But I did like Jason Wiles on the first season of "Scream", making out with Crazy Laura Tracy Middendorf.

Edited by TeeVee329

Have to defend Montblanc pens - when someone is in a Communications field or they need to sign stuff, it's a nice gesture. At least that's what I tell myself when I bought, for my brother's 50th birthday, an engraved Montblanc. He's a Communications director and he likes to write and edit things by hand (as opposed to on a computer) so he really appreciated the gift. 

At least, that's what he told me. Heh.

• Love 1
On 4/11/2017 at 5:37 PM, txhorns79 said:

I think part of this is that the main characters are fairly boring on their own, and the writers kind of abandon their development for more interesting ideas. 

So true. The "Gang" are the most boring bunch of 20 year olds ever. They are a bunch of "Avocado heads" as Val would say. I mean, seriously, we so rarely see them partying or just doing mindless, stupid college kid stuff (like I loved Steve streaking across the quad). And no one can just dabble in drugs or alcohol without it blowing (no pun intended) up into a big huge ADDICTION. Like, ahem, BACK IN MY DAY *cough* *cough* sometimes we would just go out dancing and stay up all night, y'know, just being young and having fun. Groups of friends, some couples, some singles, some people drank, some people got high, some people abstained, whatever, then we would go hang out at a diner at 4:00 am and have "breakfast" or "dinner" depending. Can't these kids lighten up? sheesh. 

And Susan has the nerve to call herself the EIC. Talk about a HOT story. What kind of editor would sit on a scoop like that???? And frankly, I would have brayed back at Brandon that if Joe wound up heart attacking at the rose bowl I would not have wanted it on MY conscious so fuck right off and let me do MY fucking JOB and print the fucking STORY. Brandon pulled this shit with Andrea all the time too. Susan going against her ethics and instincts because she's in lurve - provides nice fuel for the MRA fire that women can't be professional and/or managers because we're so emotional. UGH. I really, really wish she would have said "you know what, Brandon? I'M the Editor, not you. I decide what goes in this paper, not you. If you don't understand why this story should be published, then you really need to change majors. Ass." UGH. The worst!

• Love 6