Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

In Atlanta's Fulton County Jail, Colonel Mark Adger is sending 17 undercover volunteers into his facility to find solutions to contraband, drug smuggling, and gang violence. The participants who infiltrate Atlanta's Fulton County Jail for this season include a special education teacher who works with at-risk youth, a man who believes that the system has failed African Americans and wants to help fight discrimination, a former corrections officer who wants to see what it is like when the roles are reversed, a woman who met her husband while he was incarcerated and hopes to understand his institutionalized behavior, a Marine with law enforcement aspirations, and others.

The first episode was mostly devoted to meeting people.  So far I don't really hate anyone yet.  I think a lot of the people are very idealistic and they'll realize soon just how hard it will be to make the changes they want.  I hope they persevere, though, because a change does need to happen. 

Fulton County Jail seems like a scary, scary place.  I would not go in willingly for 60 days for anything less than a million.

• Love 10

Well, THAT's certainly kicked things up a notch, huh? Yikes.
I think they got better participants, a bit more realistic and less "oh, this will be an easy way to be a fame-whore!" types. No obvious drama-mamas. I don't like the way they introduced everyone, though. There were just too many people introduced at once and I couldn't remember who was going in, and who was a family member.  Looking forward to seeing how this goes...

• Love 3

Although I don't buy the jailer's "we need help figuring things out," line; I do believe this show could help change the jail. My hope still is that the jailers are using the show to draw attention to what's happening and eventually get more money. Maybe when people know how it really is, they'll be more willing to pay the taxes required to bring these places up to standards that are at least humane.

I agree -- no objections, really, to any of the contestants so far!

• Love 1
(edited)

Two problems--the cover stories.

So they take a guy working in the criminal justice field and make him a paramedic? What's he going to say if anybody asks him any medical related question? Shouldn't they keep the occupations rather simple? Maybe he did sell pills but he got them from a supplier with a legit prescription. I have an acquaintance who can get pain pills from a guy who gets them prescribed by a doctor for "back pain." So what's stopping my acquaintance from playing middle man? He'd be arrested and jailed just like a paramedic would. I'm just saying why complicate it by giving them a job they know nothing about? Just say "yeah I work manual labor and my charge is selling narcotics." End of story. Simple as that. Make up details around that.

Then the woman who was shoplifting. Has she created this story in her head or is that all she's got when somebody asks her? What was she shoplifting? Where? How much was it worth? I think those details should be discussed if they are going to go with something as vague as shoplifting. I want the answers to the above questions and I want to see her tell the story convincingly. They don't need to be fucking around with these participants in Atlanta. Maybe that was cool last season but I wouldn't fuck around in Atlanta with complicated ass stories. 

If it were me I'd make up a story based on my actual knowledge and then say I'm accused but i didn't do it. That way any gaps could be blamed on my innocence. Everybody in jail is innocent, right? Me too. 

They always make up some outrageous bullshit and it shows how out of touch they actually are. Like when what's-his-face was in for corporate insider trading or something. Like, what the fuck? Why does it have to be like that? Most everybody in jail is there for drug related offenses, am I right?? If that's the case then why not just blame it on marijuana? It's a shitty ass charge and every clean cut white boy I know has smoked it at some point. That's an easy story and it's believable for anybody. Get caught with too much of it once and you're in jail and you're not getting out unless you have family that will bail. 

Stick to drug cover stories and working at Burger King is my opinion. Can't wait to hear the cover stories next week.

Edited by Nowhere
  • Like 1
  • Love 12
3 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Two problems--the cover stories.

So they take a guy working in the criminal justice field and make him a paramedic? What's he going to say if anybody asks him any medical related question? Shouldn't they keep the occupations rather simple? Maybe he did sell pills but he got them from a supplier with a legit prescription. I have an acquaintance who can get pain pills from a guy who gets them prescribed by a doctor for "back pain." So what's stopping my acquaintance from playing middle man? He'd be arrested and jailed just like a paramedic would. I'm just saying why complicate it by giving them a job they know nothing about? Just say "yeah I work manual labor and my charge is selling narcotics." End of story. Simple as that. Make up details around that.

Then the woman who was shoplifting. Has she created this story in her head or is that all she's got when somebody asks her? What was she shoplifting? Where? How much was it worth? I think those details should be discussed if they are going to go with something as vague as shoplifting. I want the answers to the above questions and I want to see her tell the story convincingly. They don't need to be fucking around with these participants in Atlanta. Maybe that was cool last season but I wouldn't fuck around in Atlanta with complicated ass stories. 

If it were me I'd make up a story based on my actual knowledge and then say I'm accused but i didn't do it. That way any gaps could be blamed on my innocence. Everybody in jail is innocent, right? Me too. 

They always make up some outrageous bullshit and it shows how out of touch they actually are. Like when what's-his-face was in for corporate insider trading or something. Like, what the fuck? Why does it have to be like that? Most everybody in jail is there for drug related offenses, am I right?? If that's the case then why not just blame it on marijuana? It's a shitty ass charge and every clean cut white boy I know has smoked it at some point. That's an easy story and it's believable for anybody. Get caught with too much of it once and you're in jail and you're not getting out unless you have family that will bail. 

Stick to drug cover stories and working at Burger King is my opinion. Can't wait to hear the cover stories next week.

If I remember correctly, according to his profile on A&E, the guy served as a medic in the national guard so I think thats where they got it

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, jadecorleone said:

If I remember correctly, according to his profile on A&E, the guy served as a medic in the national guard so I think thats where they got it

That makes more sense but I still feel like the story is more complicated than it needs to be. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, jadecorleone said:

Wasn't that Ryan from last season?

Thank goodness Gerson backed out.  From his first TH I was worried about him.

And to whoever said Fulton County jail would make Clark County look like kindergarten, boy, were you right.

Interesting to see that they're spending a lot of time locked up in 2 man cells as opposed to day rooms. That might really be intense if you get the wrong cellie.   

• Love 6
Just now, Quilt Fairy said:

Wasn't that Ryan from last season?

Thank goodness Gerson backed out.  From his first TH I was worried about him.

And to whoever said Fulton County jail would make Clark County look like kindergarten, boy, were you right.

Interesting to see that they're spending a lot of time locked up in 2 man cells as opposed to day rooms. That might really be intense if you get the wrong cellie.   

Ryan was indeed a medic, but this new guy Jon is as well. From Jon's Bio 

"In 2001, he spent one year working as a Deputy Sheriff of Jail Operations in Kansas. Then he worked for the Department of Justice as a U.S. Marshal and a Detention Enforcement Officer for the Immigration and Naturalization service for 4 years. He also served in the US Army and Kansas Army National Guard for nine years as a Medic and an Officer. After being discharged, Jon continued to work in the healthcare field first at a nearby hospital and then at a trauma center"

16 minutes ago, Nowhere said:

That makes more sense but I still feel like the story is more complicated than it needs to be. 

Agreed. The more complicated it is, the tougher it is to keep it all straight under alot of questioning.

• Love 4

I would have my cover story written down before I left and I would read it and read it and rehearse the hell out of it. I would even run lines with my family and have them ask me all kinds of questions so I have practice answering questions about my charge. 

It seems like these people go in blind in regards to their stories and they always stammer and mumble when questioned.  With the show having been aired and the inmates already suspicious, that's just stupid. 

• Love 4
19 hours ago, tvsoothesthespirit said:

Although I don't buy the jailer's "we need help figuring things out," line; I do believe this show could help change the jail. My hope still is that the jailers are using the show to draw attention to what's happening and eventually get more money. Maybe when people know how it really is, they'll be more willing to pay the taxes required to bring these places up to standards that are at least humane.

I agree -- no objections, really, to any of the contestants so far!

Yeah just leave it as a social experiment and lay off the whole "head CO needs help knowing what's really going on" angle.

The big buff officer at their training I'm assumimg works for A&E or is a consultant because he's on every damn law enforcement show they have lol. He's here, he was on Rookie First Year and I think I saw him in The First 48 and taking in some folks on 24 To Life. Okay just kidding about the last two but it seems like it.

Ish is getting real. I'm sure at some point we'll see 60 Days In: Rikers or in some third world country where they're sleeping on the ground.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Negritude said:

The big buff officer at their training I'm assumimg works for A&E or is a consultant because he's on every damn law enforcement show they have lol. He's here, he was on Rookie First Year

He was identified as being with the New Mexico Department of Corrections, and that's where Rookie First Year is filmed, so that actually makes sense.  Maybe they like the way he comes across on-camera.

• Love 1
On 3/4/2017 at 11:59 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

He was identified as being with the New Mexico Department of Corrections, and that's where Rookie First Year is filmed, so that actually makes sense.  Maybe they like the way he comes across on-camera.

I know I do.

• LOL 1
  • Love 7
On 3/4/2017 at 11:59 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

I knew I recognized him. From Locked up Rookie year

• Love 2

Yes, it seems interesting. I don't think Fulton is messing around. Three point restraints when you are arrested? It looked like the waist chain looped in between the partipant's legs, too--that had to suck. 

• Love 1

I liked this episode. 

In no particular order-

Jessica- I am glad that Jessica knew better than to touch things.  Her husband probably gave her that tip, too.  I liked how she came in and assessed the situation and just waited it out.  Her roommate (Ebony?) is a timebomb waiting to happen.  She was just so fake-nice to Jessica.  I am glad that Jessica immediately recognized it was fake and didn't think they were sudden BFFs or something.

Don- Don frustrated me so much in this last episode.  I get that he was trying to "fit in" but my daughter and I kept yelling at him through the screen to stop talking!  He had a come-back about EVERYTHING.  He'll get so much further if he just quietly observes.   His roommate (so bad with names) freaks me out.  He just paces and paces.  I was ready for him to pounce.  I was literally afraid for Don when he touched that guys stuff. 

Jon- he is too "pretty" to be in there.  His hair always looks like there's product in it.  His statement about how he "couldn't talk too much about it" was suspect.  I think he was going for the "my lawyer said" type of line, but I don't think that flies in jail or prison.

Michelle- The editing for Michelle was crazy.  They made it look like she was "interviewed" and then had some sort of melt-down.  Then when they showed her saying she was good, it was obvious that the other stuff was her probably just trying to work through her nerves before.  I gave serious side-eye to that bit of editing.  I don't envy them at all having to try to navigate away from drugs.  Everyone does it so it'll be hard to get away from it and I think that'll be one of the major things that causes suspicion.

Calvin- Calvin cracks me up because his outfit for his interviews he's wearing a bow tie and a sweater vest.  He just looks so different out of those clothes.  I like his motivations so much that I hope he succeeds with his goals to teach kids to move away from violence and criminal activity.

I also like Colonel Adger.  He seems like a no-nonsense, straight-forward guy.  I can't imagine being in his shoes. 

I'm liking this season more.  The stakes feel more real.  It's too bad that the previous two seasons have obviously scared everyone away since there is no one around to talk about this with.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, GenL said:

Jessica- I am glad that Jessica knew better than to touch things.  Her husband probably gave her that tip, too.  I liked how she came in and assessed the situation and just waited it out.  Her roommate (Ebony?) is a timebomb waiting to happen.  She was just so fake-nice to Jessica.  I am glad that Jessica immediately recognized it was fake and didn't think they were sudden BFFs or something.

The roommate's name was Lyric, but you're right about Jessica being smart.  I hope she stays smart.

1 hour ago, GenL said:

Don- Don frustrated me so much in this last episode.  I get that he was trying to "fit in" but my daughter and I kept yelling at him through the screen to stop talking!  He had a come-back about EVERYTHING.  He'll get so much further if he just quietly observes.   His roommate (so bad with names) freaks me out.  He just paces and paces.  I was ready for him to pounce.  I was literally afraid for Don when he touched that guys stuff. 

Don freaked me out more than his roommate (can't remember his name).  I've never been to jail but even I know you don't touch someone else's stuff; you should learn that when you're five years old.

Michelle's cellmates, damn, even I could see those girls were all stoned.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

The roommate's name was Lyric,

I was confusing her name with the girl from Catfish because I watched both those episodes yesterday.  lol.  I knew it had a "y".

• Love 1

When we saw that Don's cellmate was Delrico, I was scared for him. Especially after he moved Delrico's stuff off his bunk. Ugh.

I've never watched the show before this season, so I have nothing to compare it to, but this just scares the crap outta me... 

• Love 1

Don was doing entirely too much! So much for the whole "lay low" angle lol. 

Oh and that strip poker game...hell naw. My towel would've been right around my neck. S.O.S. hahahaha

Edited by Negritude
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

Am I nuts, or does this season feel more...professional? serious? Something--I can't figure out what I mean. Maybe less gimmicky/trashy/dumb/sensationalistic, and more legit-documentary style?

The first 2 seasons the cover story for filming was that they were doing a documentary about first-timers, which justified their interviewing primarily the faux inmates. I can't recall specifically what they said their cover story is this season, but it's much more general, and I think they're interviewing more long-term hard-core inmates as well.

I knew instantly that Don shouldn't have touched that guy's stuff. Don's mouth is going to get him in trouble. He sure us an arrogant ass.  I hope they told the men to not ever say cell MATE.  You say cellie or bunky but never mate. Straight men in prison take that shit very serious.   My uncle was in prison for 11 years.  He was in the medical prison in Vacaville Ca., in Susanville and finally landed at San Quentin.  We went to visit him every single weekend for 11 years.  The main thing I remember him telling us is the cell mate thing.   I know jail is a lot different than prison but I'm sure most of the same inmate made rules like that apply.   They obviously didn't tell the guy last season to never use the word bitch.  

• Love 5

So, not all of the participants are from Atlanta, right? Some of the footage of their homes are screaming Phoenix. I grew up in downtown Atlanta, and I don't recall cactus and pebble gardens anywhere. It does remind me of years living out west.

I'm happy to see they are doing Atlanta's jail. It's a tough but wonderful city. I have experienced a great deal of crime in Atlanta, but a ton of culture as well.  

I'm not sure what "reform" is supposed to take place here. Jail is just holding, it's not prison. Some wait months for their time in front of a judge, but they are not yet convicted, and I'm not sure why adding more creature comforts to the tax dollar is going to make any difference. Isn't jail where you DON'T want to end up? Is it supposed to be a spa? Whatever reform happening, they could still end up with a conviction of 20 years in prison. As far as reform goes, that is where it is lacking the most, to me- in the prisons. If I committed a crime, and suffered a bit in jail, then the judge or jury let me off.... I'd be pretty motivated to not return already. I feel like we are watching shock value more than something that can really change.

Watching the intake, I thought the officers were all respectful, and so far the only ones to be disrespectful were other jailmates. When they whine about being shackled, do they understand not everyone is there because they are innocent? Yes, it's uncomfortable, but it wasn't degrading more than it was necessary for safe transport. The officers have to protect themselves, and I feel like the volunteers are forgetting that because THEY mean no harm.

Edited by Chewy101
  • Love 6
On 3/10/2017 at 7:03 AM, GenL said:

Jon- he is too "pretty" to be in there.  His hair always looks like there's product in it.  His statement about how he "couldn't talk too much about it" was suspect.  I think he was going for the "my lawyer said" type of line, but I don't think that flies in jail or prison.

Well, Jail is filled with snitches who can bargain with the DA for a lesser sentence in exchange for what they can learn from other mates. It isn't an unrealistic angle, when it's not a bad actor doing it.

On 3/10/2017 at 9:56 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Am I nuts, or does this season feel more...professional? serious? Something--I can't figure out what I mean. Maybe less gimmicky/trashy/dumb/sensationalistic, and more legit-documentary style?

Maybe the producers just read the message boards, and adjusted accordingly? Wish more shows did that! lol

Don is a moron with issues. The producers are probably enjoying their time bomb. How did he even pass the psych eval? He seems so ignorant and angsty. Bad combo...

• Love 4

I definitely think the COs are more serious about their jobs as well. At least I do after having seen only two episodes, so who knows? Part of me also wonders if this is overdramatized while the other part wonders if this is a truly dangerous and irresponsible thing to do at all!

• Love 1
20 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

I definitely think the COs are more serious about their jobs as well. At least I do after having seen only two episodes, so who knows? Part of me also wonders if this is overdramatized while the other part wonders if this is a truly dangerous and irresponsible thing to do at all!

I think it's mostly staged. Not that this isn't how it is, but the examples are being dramatized. Still entertaining, though. It's a weird version of "reform," eh? Glamorizing how bad it is. Most of the inmates seem proud to be there, and to get the attention for it. I think this show is basically jail shooting itself in the foot.

17 hours ago, Chewy101 said:

I'm not sure what "reform" is supposed to take place here. Jail is just holding, it's not prison. Some wait months for their time in front of a judge, but they are not yet convicted, and I'm not sure why adding more creature comforts to the tax dollar is going to make any difference. Isn't jail where you DON'T want to end up? Is it supposed to be a spa? Whatever reform happening, they could still end up with a conviction of 20 years in prison. As far as reform goes, that is where it is lacking the most, to me- in the prisons. If I committed a crime, and suffered a bit in jail, then the judge or jury let me off.... I'd be pretty motivated to not return already. I feel like we are watching shock value more than something that can really change.

Reform, so things like this don't happen.

• Love 2

What was the deal with the one inmate asking Jon if he could touch his blanket?

I already like this season a LOT more than the others.  Yes, it seems more professional or real or serious or something.  I like it a lot.

Don is not going to make it.  I don't think Michelle is either.  Could just be hype though.  I want to see their food up close.

Edited by slasherboy
I spelled "Don" wrong. Big words confuse me.
  • Love 1

Again I am frustrated with this show.  Why do the participants have to come up with their cover stories?  They're not criminals!  They don't know what a believable story is.  The production team should come up with a story that is believable and somewhat close to home so that the participants could remember it easily.  There is NO reason these people should be making up their own stories when they know the inmates can sniff out lies very easily.

• Love 6
38 minutes ago, PoshSprinkles said:

@GenL I believe they are given cover stories during the initial training sessions. During the first season they showed them going through the stories they had been given during the first episode

That may be true, but I seem to recall Colonel asking them what their cover story was going to be and just nodding his head.  I don't know if that meant they were just coming up with their own or if he was asking them to recite what was given to them.  But, as we all know, the devil in in the details.  I don't think they should have had to come up with their "details" either.  I'm just afraid someone is going to get seriously hurt.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Nate also brought up another excellent point about the cover stories. None of them have been charged with anything so it's natural that the inmates might question why they are staying there so long and haven't been bonded out, especially when the "crimes" seem relatively minor. Do the inmates switch out so frequently that it's not an issue? Or, is it normal to wait around for months before being released? 

Well in the documentary TIME: The Kalief Browder Story; he stayed in Rikers for 3 years, for "stealing a backpack" (which he didn't do BTW).  

On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 1:51 AM, Maharincess said:

I knew instantly that Don shouldn't have touched that guy's stuff. Don's mouth is going to get him in trouble. He sure us an arrogant ass.  I hope they told the men to not ever say cell MATE.  You say cellie or bunky but never mate. Straight men in prison take that shit very serious.   My uncle was in prison for 11 years.  He was in the medical prison in Vacaville Ca., in Susanville and finally landed at San Quentin.  We went to visit him every single weekend for 11 years.  The main thing I remember him telling us is the cell mate thing.   I know jail is a lot different than prison but I'm sure most of the same inmate made rules like that apply.   They obviously didn't tell the guy last season to never use the word bitch.  

Wow.  As someone who made her very first prison visit last weekend, that is an AMAZING commitment.  (I found out someone I knew has been incarcerated for two years and no one ever goes to visit him.  It was a long, long drive and a giant hassle, but he was so happy to have a visitor, we both almost cried.  I'm thinking, maybe every six weeks?)

Anyway, back to the show:  agree that this was much improved over Sheriff Scotty & The Gang.

Somehow I don't think Michelle's "biggest fear" is that she won't complete the experiment.  I thought she was going to need a paper bag to breathe into when she was hyperventilating before the first handcuff clicked.  It's kind of funny that she was so indignant when her daughter said she'd never finish, and then she almost didn't make it through the intro.  But kudos, because she sucked it up and soldiered on.  But really, Michelle, take the win and go on home--this is not for you.

I watch with CC, so I not only get to hear Don say "You know what I'm saying" after every third sentence, I wind up reading that rhetorical inquiry as well.  Double your pleasure double your fun, blerg.  (P.S.  Delrico is on to you, dude.)

I don't know whether it's Don or Only-Whitey-In-The-Place, but the guy who said he would give the guards respect, but also require their respect in return and affirmed that he "would let them know that's how things were going to work"?  Woof.  I fear a rude awakening in store for him.

(And I snark-laughed at Only-Whitey's girlfriend,  swanning around the apartment in 16 layers of eyeliner, as though there were no cameras.  Heeeee.)

I really like Jessica's motivation--that her husband has a hair trigger and an aggressive response he can't shake and she thinks it will be helpful for her to see how that became part of his personality.  My money's on her--I admire her (and her hair.)  : ) 

I can't decide whether I'd prefer to be trapped in a cell with seven stoner screaming party girls all night, every night, or locked into a private tête-à-tête behind closed doors with a predator like Delrico.   Eek. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Maharincess said:

Yes Don, we know what you're saying so you can stop asking us after every damn sentence.  Holy shit that's annoying as hell. 

LOL--I just griped about this, in the Ep. 2 thread, thirty seconds ago.

• Love 5
On 3/17/2017 at 3:17 PM, candall said:

LOL--I just griped about this, in the Ep. 2 thread, thirty seconds ago.

I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed by this. Its ridiculous!  "We had baloney for lunch, ya know what I'm saying" "my name is Don, ya know what I'm saying".  Shut up, we know what you're saying!! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
On 3/17/2017 at 1:20 PM, goodbyeglittergirl said:

Man, my DVR did not capture this ep and I can't even find it using the search features. Clearly some sort of issue. Thankfully they will replay at some point!

My DVR didn't catch it either.

• Love 1

My DVR at first missed taping these episodes, too, until I realized they changed the name of the show to "60 Days In - Atlanta".  IMO, a stupid move that has caused many fans/viewers to miss the shows, but what do I know, right?   Anyway, change your search terms and you should be able to program it into your DVRs.   

• Love 1
6 hours ago, rayndon said:

My DVR at first missed taping these episodes, too, until I realized they changed the name of the show to "60 Days In - Atlanta".  IMO, a stupid move that has caused many fans/viewers to miss the shows, but what do I know, right?   Anyway, change your search terms and you should be able to program it into your DVRs.   

Welcome to my world. Survivor does that every single season. 

On 3/17/2017 at 9:22 AM, GenL said:

Again I am frustrated with this show.  Why do the participants have to come up with their cover stories?  They're not criminals!  They don't know what a believable story is.  The production team should come up with a story that is believable and somewhat close to home so that the participants could remember it easily.  There is NO reason these people should be making up their own stories when they know the inmates can sniff out lies very easily.

And see how easy it was when the inmate asked what pretty boy(I forget his name) was in for and he said morphine? The other guy said, "same. Morphine and Xanax." The end of story. It's that simple if they stick to drug charges. Anybody can get caught at the wrong place or time over drugs. Its such an easy cover and I'd say the inmates come in contact with so many people with drug charges that they wouldn't ask anymore questions. But no! They go with credit card fraud and Don is already in trouble and he hasn't even been there an hour. How stupid they are. Producers and participants.