Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

A violent fight in the women's pod and an abuse of power in pod 600 cause extended lockdowns, proving that the luck of the draw with cell mates can make or break the experience in jail.

I don't think Don should be part of this program.  He is just a bomb waiting to go off.  He started the fight and then felt like he was in danger.  He needs to learn to keep himself in check.

I feel bad for Mauri.  Her cellmates are definitely "mean girls" and I am sure that brings back some insecurities Mauri has had in the past (no real proof of this- but honestly who hasn't felt insecure in middle and high school?).  Them picking on her wig is just petty and mean for no real reason. 

Matt is a hoot.  I thought he was going to seriously bug (he still may... it's early) with his self-proclaimed "rebel"-ness, but when he commented on being put in a cell with a professional weed grower he cracked me up. 

Jessica has a good head on her shoulders and a good resource in her husband. 

Calvin worries me.  I feel like he's going to get seriously beat down or something at any minute and he doesn't even seem to sense the danger.  It's those people that worry me the most.  Read the room, man!

I am a lot like Jon in the way that I need quiet and alone time every single day.  It really messes with my sanity if I don't get it.  The difference is that I am not choosing to go into an environment that is notoriously known for being loud all of the time.  So, that's where my sympathy ends.  He did this to himself.  Although, his cellmate seems VERY immature and annoying.

I kind of am liking Nate right now.  I don't know if all his talking and stuff will get him into trouble, but I think that's more effective than hiding in a corner (like previous season's participants).  I think his experiences are very helpful in this situation.

Michelle was invisible except for one sentence, I think.

• Love 5

Jessica is pleasant to watch.  She's not caring a chip on her shoulder, she's trying to experience what she can.  Interesting how she and Mauri are both saying these childish women! 

Poor Jon with that nut, farting and being a freak.  Blurg. 

I agree about matt, but he sure turned that around.  Lol.

Calvin is just a wee sheep waiting for the slaughter.  His roommate seems ok with him.  I enjoyed their conversation although it was tough to hear.  His roommate is just a kid.  Dang. 

• Love 5

Nate seems cool but I automatically don't like participants who go in with intent to snitch. I didn't mind too much when Jessica talked to the producers about the drugs because I think she did that because she was so shocked by the gravity of the situation and just had to tell someone. But Nate's purpose from the jump is to snitch and that pisses me off in any case. People like Nate and that asshole from last season need to do something on the outside to make a change for people and get off their high horses. Stop trying to make things worse inside the jail. It's already bad enough. They're too damn lazy to actually lift a finger for the common man. They're too busy looking down upon them. I'm sure Mr. Cool Nate will mention names before the season is over. Makes me sick.

I don't think I've mentioned before but speaking of Nate, do you think maybe they're auditioning spouses for the next season? His wife was so made up for her scene in the first episode and she had a lot to say. Same with Jon's wife. Too much camera time. Don't be surprised when one of them is part of next season's cast. You read it here first. 

• Love 2
On 3/17/2017 at 11:49 AM, PoshSprinkles said:

@GenL I believe they are given cover stories during the initial training sessions. During the first season they showed them going through the stories they had been given during the first episode. The details of the story are left up to them and that's what is getting them into trouble. They need to keep it short and sweet. 

Nate also brought up another excellent point about the cover stories. None of them have been charged with anything so it's natural that the inmates might question why they are staying there so long and haven't been bonded out, especially when the "crimes" seem relatively minor. Do the inmates switch out so frequently that it's not an issue? Or, is it normal to wait around for months before being released? 

it depends on the charge. the more serious charges have higher bail, so unless the inmates can make the bail, they gotta stay there. 

12 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Nate seems cool but I automatically don't like participants who go in with intent to snitch. I didn't mind too much when Jessica talked to the producers about the drugs because I think she did that because she was so shocked by the gravity of the situation and just had to tell someone. But Nate's purpose from the jump is to snitch and that pisses me off in any case. People like Nate and that asshole from last season need to do something on the outside to make a change for people and get off their high horses. Stop trying to make things worse inside the jail. It's already bad enough. They're too damn lazy to actually lift a finger for the common man. They're too busy looking down upon them. I'm sure Mr. Cool Nate will mention names before the season is over. Makes me sick.

I don't think I've mentioned before but speaking of Nate, do you think maybe they're auditioning spouses for the next season? His wife was so made up for her scene in the first episode and she had a lot to say. Same with Jon's wife. Too much camera time. Don't be surprised when one of them is part of next season's cast. You read it here first. 

They all go in with the intent to snitch. I think his "purpose" was to go in and see how the jails aren't working as they are and recommend more a military type system, which I actually agree with having been in the military  myself.

I hope they're not thinking of bringing on another significant other. that was painful the first time. 

• Love 4

Not surprised the Marine has already adjusted so easily. The former military guys will always do well because even with the hard work and long hours, there is that part of service life where you're just kind of sitting around waiting to be told what to do next and shootin' the shit with whoever's around (Navy vet myself). 

I was kinda team "girl fighting Lyric" (forgot her name). She was taking on the biggest bully, probably in an attempt to establish her badassness and she had heart lol.

Poor Jon! Aw man. That's my own personal hell right there. I wonder if they were given meals while being in lockdown for so long.

Professional weed grower...thanks lol.

In the previews of the next ep we see the inevitable female participants realizing they're both on the show. Have any of the men ever figured it out? I can't remember. Women's intuition is a mutha, can't get anything past us ha! I just hope they link up with Mauri cause she could really use a friend...po lil' Tink Tink.

The ladies clowning her wig was funny and she did have an uppity air about her that will get her nowhere fast.

• Love 2

I feel for Mauri because she is nervous and withdrawn and it comes across as snotty - I have this same issue, and people think I am uppity when I'm actually just really, really anxious. I hope something turns for her soon because she's making me sad.

Don - seems like a ticking time bomb. Also I cannot handle listening to him. 

• Love 7
17 hours ago, Neurochick said:

I think Mauri is wearing a weave, not a wig.  I think Mauri is nervous, isn't she a former corrections officer?

I think you're right about the weave and yes, she is a former corrections officer.  She sounds a little more legit in her role than the "former corrections officer" last year whose job sounded like club med.

On 3/25/2017 at 7:17 AM, GenL said:

They all go in with the intent to snitch. I think his "purpose" was to go in and see how the jails aren't working as they are and recommend more a military type system, which I actually agree with having been in the military  myself.

I hope they're not thinking of bringing on another significant other. that was painful the first time. 

Jessica went in to find out what her husband went through. Jon wants reform for the inmates. Calvin thinks the experience will help him relate to the kids he works with to better  advise them. Don wants to see what Daddy experienced. I can't remember the other stories the four I mentioned could recommend different approaches the CO's could take, or bring up the lack of recreation, maybe even mention the fact that six women in one room is a shitty idea. So far they've been more violent than the men. That's not snitching. 

The marine went in saying his purpose is to find drugs and I'm thinking he'd mention names. I don't mind the idea of a military system but his interview made him seem like the type that believes in guilty until proven innocent. He's better than everyone else and wants them to be punished more without even knowing what it's like in jail. That's what I didnt like about his reasoning. He's itching to find problems so he can tattle. Maybe he'll surprise me. He seems likeable. 

• Love 1

I don't like the women figuring each other out. It's annoying. I want them to be surprised at the end.

Also, it's so risky to try to ask. Maybe the other inmate is just a quiet woman or depressed. If she's a real inmate and is approached by someone hinting at being a plant, she may flip shit. I wouldn't want to take that chance. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Nowhere said:

Jessica went in to find out what her husband went through. Jon wants reform for the inmates. Calvin thinks the experience will help him relate to the kids he works with to better  advise them. Don wants to see what Daddy experienced. I can't remember the other stories the four I mentioned could recommend different approaches the CO's could take, or bring up the lack of recreation, maybe even mention the fact that six women in one room is a shitty idea. So far they've been more violent than the men. That's not snitching. 

Well, yes.  I am not disagreeing with you.  But, they know going in that the Colonel wants intel, so therefore snitching.

I don't remember his interview, so he may very well have said that.  I agree it's annoying if his attitude gave off "guilty until proven innocent." 

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, Neurochick said:

I think Mauri is wearing a weave, not a wig.  I think Mauri is nervous, isn't she a former corrections officer?

During intake she said that it was a wig glued on and that's why they had to do a special pat down.

• Love 2

I felt bad for Jessica when she called her husband and there was basically crickets chirping. He was about as helpful as that asshat Zack was when his wife was doing this.

Props to Jon, holding his temper and tongue for 20 hours with a roomie who would stoop to any level to get attention. My buttons would have been pressed after an hour. Jon couldn't even slip away to vent to production, nothing. I'd implode.

I liked Matt. He seems confident but also mellow.

I hate Don. I am eager for him to snap or have someone snap on him so he has to be pulled off this show. I'm tired of fast forwarding through him.

• Love 3
On 3/28/2017 at 2:20 AM, Chewy101 said:

I felt bad for Jessica when she called her husband and there was basically crickets chirping. He was about as helpful as that asshat Zack was when his wife was doing this.

No way. Zack was way worse. At least this guy didn't brag about living it up in Vegas and then call her a c***. It's pretty hard to be as low as Zack in my personal opinion.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Nowhere said:
On 3/28/2017 at 2:20 AM, Chewy101 said:

No way. Zack was way worse. At least this guy didn't brag about living it up in Vegas and then call her a c***. It's pretty hard to be as low as Zack in my personal opinion.

No argument, there. But still, I just would have thought he would have more to say to her, seeing as she is going to great lengths to understand him and why he scares her at times. I'm not convinced she is even in a healthy marriage. That phone call was just off.

• Love 4

Uneasy alliances create risks while participants face even more difficult obstacles in order to survive their life on the inside.

Sorry for not starting this.  Feel free to start any episode threads, if I don't get to it quick enough.

On 3/30/2017 at 4:28 PM, Chewy101 said:

No argument, there. But still, I just would have thought he would have more to say to her, seeing as she is going to great lengths to understand him and why he scares her at times. I'm not convinced she is even in a healthy marriage. That phone call was just off.

He didn't seem happy to hear from her so it did make me wonder. But to him, after spending years in prison, he may not think 60 days is that big a deal. Basically from his skewed standpoint, her position may be easy, and he's experienced in being away from loved ones for an extended period of time so he may not have had a chance to really miss her yet. HOWEVER, I am in full agreement. Jessica needs more support from him but I don't know if her man is even capable of providing what she needs. I mean it is a little weird to consider men in prison as emotionally available husband material. Its unfortunate that a very beautiful and good-hearted woman felt like she needed to date men in prison. She could have done better for herself. She has what she wanted I guess. I'd like to end it by saying, her ex-con husband is a hundred times more respectful than ex-marine Zach was to his wife. 

• Love 4

The first twlo seasons there were far two many crackpots and people who seemed to be auditioning for better reality tv shows.  At least this season it seems the majority of fake mates are going in for well intentioned reasons.  Mauri comes off as being stand offish which helps no one.  Even if she wants to avoid drinking and using drugs there are better ways to go about doing it.  I like the Marine guy (I keep forgetting his name) but he come off like a well intentioned guy who wants to find a better alternative then sending people who have served our country to prison.  

• Love 2

So the men have to be handcuffed to do interviews, but the womem do not. Interesting. 

I kind of feel bad for Marine inmate; anyone know why he's in anyway? I can't remember if they said. 

7 hours ago, SheTalksShit said:

Too Tall is a kind of maniacal. "I RUN THIS MOTHAFUCKA!!!" 

Not that I'm defending him in any way, but if he's "high up" in the Bloods (Blood's?), then some little punk trying to get in his face and pretend he's in the gang when he's not kind of deserves to be put in his place.  But, the beatings in this show (all seasons) always make me cower and makes my stomach turn because it's real.  I can watch movie/tv fighting all day long, but the real stuff makes me so uneasy.

5 hours ago, Porterest said:

So the men have to be handcuffed to do interviews, but the womem do not. Interesting. 

I kind of feel bad for Marine inmate; anyone know why he's in anyway? I can't remember if they said. 

Drugs, I think?  He obviously needs mental health help.  I also feel bad for him. 

• Love 1
(edited)

That was really tough to watch. I'm so glad long haired fake inmate is trying to help Rob (? I think that's his name). Poor guy really needs some help and jail isn't it.

I just marathoned this season. Wasn't sure if I could deal with another, and I'm pleasantly surprised. I don't hate anyone yet. And am relieved Zack didn't have a mistress or brother or something who wanted to experience Fulton County. ;)

Edited by Squirrely
  • Love 4
(edited)

Is it wrong that one of the reasons I feel bad for Rob is that he probably was once a pretty attractive guy before he got all fucked up?

I'm absolutely shocked Mauri didn't drop out yet.

Jessica and Michelle...Michelle really seems to think that admitting her cover to Jessica might get her cover blown, and she's probably right.

Nate and Matt seem to be fitting in the best.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 4

I don't think the inmates are actors, but I'm pretty sure the cell assignments were made with an eye toward maximum drama.  There surely must've been some six-pack rooms they could have stuck Mauri into with more moderate women.  And of course somebody has to be paired up with Deshaun, The Human Grater.

Jon appears to have a good heart, not to mention, whew! he's Jon Hamm beautiful.

• Love 2
On 4/3/2017 at 8:00 AM, GenL said:

Not that I'm defending him in any way, but if he's "high up" in the Bloods (Blood's?), then some little punk trying to get in his face and pretend he's in the gang when he's not kind of deserves to be put in his place.  But, the beatings in this show (all seasons) always make me cower and makes my stomach turn because it's real.  I can watch movie/tv fighting all day long, but the real stuff makes me so uneasy.

Oh, totally, but I didn't see the guy getting in Too Tall's face. I saw Too Tall getting in his face, trying to check him because he didn't believe him. But with editing, who knows how it really went down, you may be right, maybe the guy got in Too Tall's face, first. 

Since the mod here never starts episode threads and the episode threads don't really get a lot of posts anyway, should we just start an all episodes thread?   It seems like there's never a new thread for a new episode. 

I don't know if the participants aren't as memorable, or there was less time to get to know them... but I have a hard time remembering who they are! The women's jail flooding was gross, and I'd be pissed too that the guards didn't even provide them any kind of cleaning materials or bleach, etc. before they had to traipse through it with their lunch. The guy who smooshed the oatmeal cookies is a little too into mind-fucks for me to like him --- is that his idea? or did he feel like he had to do it to get along in jail and not look weak? Calvin and the tablet for Too-Tall is not going to end well, I think. Everytime I see the ex-CO who claims to be in as an embezzler, I think "Wait, how does a wig get glued onto someone's head? how does that work? Do I want to know? I don't want to know...."

• Love 3

Yeah allowing tablets seems like a dangerous game even under the best circumstances.  I think I heard mention that like everything else they were bought at commissary and the prison didn't allow recharge so when battery runs out it is done.  

The two guys with the military background seem to be doing the best job.  Then again the military does allow for strange bedfellows itself 

Can any prison handle a damn flood or a elicrical issue without treating the inmates like they are a can of tuna fish?  

I am not sure what it is but the female side seems so much worse then the male side.  There is at least some semblance of order to the male side but with the women section is seems like there is just brutal violent chaos.

Someone remind me not to go to prison.  I was hoping it was like OITNB.  All lesbian sexiness. Maybe a little drugs.  You know fun times.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SheTalksShit said:

I personally like this season way better that Clark County. It's got a riveting, raw type of grit to it. 

I agree.  I am surprised by the massive drop of interest in this board for this season. 

I admit, I wasn't paying full attention.  Why did Jessica quit?  She made it sound like her husband would totally understand why when she got home and explained it, but to me it looked like she only quit because it was hard.  But, for Jessica's husband to be disappointed that she didn't go the full 60 days is ridiculous. 

Don's cellmate is 100 levels of creepy.  Although, I also worry about Don's mental status.

Dang.  Looks like I've been celebrating my birthday totally wrong all these years.  I didn't know I was supposed to get into a brawl on my birthday.  I don't understand why Desanique wanted a fight just because it's his birthday.  

• Love 4

I'm watching episode 7 (Tapping Out) right now, and it seems odd that the participants find it so easy to spot each other while they think no one else can tell. If it's that easy for Matt, Nate, and Calvin to figure it out on day one, then surely they should know others can figure it out, too. Who's bright idea was it to have them all be on federal holds?

• Love 3

I think the women's side is worse because there are more women per room. If it was you and one other person, odds are better there wouldn't be as much happening when you're locked in your cell. I think they have more time out of their cells, as well.

Why are they serving breakfast at 2:00 AM? Did I hear that correctly?

• Love 2

I didnt understand the birthday fight thing either. He wanted all of those guys to kick his ass for his birthday? 

Is it just me or for all of the tough talk,  do these guys not know how to fight?  They remind me of Fighting Ron from the original Mad TV.   The women too, they talk all of this shit but when they fight they fight like 5 year old girls on a playground.  I haven't had a fist fight since I was a teenager but having older brothers, I fought like a guy. One fight in jr high school and nobody ever messed with me after that. None of that hair pulling stuff with me. My brothers taught me how to punch. 

@HalbornScorpio, I can't stand Too Tall either, I wonder if he realizes how ridiculous he looks talking tough with that baby face.  He looks like he's a giant 12 year old.  The one time we saw him fight he looked like he didnt know what he was doing. 

I'll miss Jessica, she was the only one of the women that I liked. I like Calvin and Nate but that's about it.  You know what I'm saying?  Lol. 

• Love 4
12 hours ago, tvsoothesthespirit said:

Why are they serving breakfast at 2:00 AM? Did I hear that correctly?

I worked at a psychiatric prison last year, and their breakfast was 4:00 AM. It had something to do with the staffing shifts. All meals were given much earlier than most people would do when not in prison. I thought 4:00 AM was early; however, 2:00 AM is mind boggling!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Complexity said:

I worked at a psychiatric prison last year, and their breakfast was 4:00 AM. It had something to do with the staffing shifts. All meals were given much earlier than most people would do when not in prison. I thought 4:00 AM was early; however, 2:00 AM is mind boggling!

That makes sense - thanks for replying!

The sleep thing could be an unwritten part of the punishment system, I guess but it seems like it might cause a lot of problems.

I know they use food as a punishment though. For example the infamous nutrition loaf.

• Love 2