Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Van v Emily: Dawn of Justice

43 minutes ago, Roaster said:

NBC showed a different episode tonight.  Nothing about Dr. Psycho.

However, new superhero played by the supercute Natalie Morales!  Hope to see more of her.

Big fan of Natalie Morales here too.

Overall, didn't find this episode all that funny. It was just ok.

• Love 1

Green Fury? Not Green Flame? Okay, then. I'm not upset GF didn't have a Brazilian accent, though I probably wouldn't know what that would sound like off the bat. Would've been funny if Geo Force had responded to Teddy's signal.

Meh on the Van plot. I am interested to see how this show would interpret Dr. Psycho. Diminutive sociopath with psychic powers and a mad-on for Wonder Woman, yet would probably never star in her movies? Sounds like a lot of potential for this show.

• Love 1

To quote George Takei, "Oh My!"  Because Natalie Morales is one of my major TV crushes and her as Green Fury in that outfit?  Why, yes, I'm all for that.  Can totally understand why Ted is smitten for her, even if I feel bad for poor nice Hannah, and how he's being a dick to her.

Enjoyed the Green Arrow game and Van being great at it, because Alan Tudyk voiced GA in the video game "Injustice: Gods Among Us" a few years ago.

Enjoyed Van and Emily's little feud, but I continue to feel bad for Emily.  Even if she had her own selfish reasons for what she was doing, I can't really blame for not being able to just sit there and listen to Van's gloating, and have everyone else not only play along, but basically tell her to deal with it.  You can only be a punching bag for so long, folks.  Plus, as much as I enjoy his antics, he really is a man-child, who needs to grow up, or this company won't survive (well, unless Bruce takes more of a hands-on approach.)  Glad it worked out, but I still felt like it was Emily vs. the rest.  They really need to find her some kind of friend or ally.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, thuganomics85 said:

Enjoyed the Green Arrow game and Van being great at it, because Alan Tudyk voiced GA in the video game "Injustice: Gods Among Us" a few years ago.

Shoot, that reminds me . . . who were the villains on the target? I recognized Deathstroke and Calculator (the updated version). I think the one on top was from Jeff Lemire's run on Green Arrow.

Did a different episode air in Canada or somewhere? Because the episode you guys are talking about is not the one that I downloaded and watched this morning. Maybe a mod should rename the thread with the title of the episode that actually aired on NBC or start a new thread for that episode because I was very confused when I read everybody's posts.

8 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

I swear, I double-checked the schedule just this afternoon, just to make sure. I'm starting to take this personally....

You did everything right. It's NBC that has made a lot of changes recently with Powerless. They've bumped it, switched the episodes multiple times, and clearly not provided timely change info to providers (my on-screen guide was wrong too). There's a lot of moving parts with this one. Here's a listing that helps show the various times they've rescheduled episode airings. The episode description you had up last week appears to be airing at next week. We shall see if that holds, clearly nothing is set in stone for this show.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Enjoyed Van and Emily's little feud, but I continue to feel bad for Emily.  Even if she had her own selfish reasons for what she was doing, I can't really blame for not being able to just sit there and listen to Van's gloating, and have everyone else not only play along, but basically tell her to deal with it.  You can only be a punching bag for so long, folks.  Plus, as much as I enjoy his antics, he really is a man-child, who needs to grow up, or this company won't survive (well, unless Bruce takes more of a hands-on approach.)  Glad it worked out, but I still felt like it was Emily vs. the rest.  They really need to find her some kind of friend or ally.

Maybe I'm easily amused but I still laugh at Van's antics.  "She opened the gates of hell?!"  :D.  I do think this show is still trying a little too hard to be Parks & Recreation I still lime it and hope it comes back for next season

• Love 1
(edited)

So, the writing is on the wall for this show, right? If it's (most likely) getting cancelled anyway, why the shell game with the episode order?? Just air the episodes. It's a sitcom, certain episodes are not really going to affect ratings?

Anyway, I was somewhat distracted watching this one, Liked the intro of Green Fury! Is she going to be recurring?

The plot with Van vs Emily was thin. Not that I'm expecting realism, but even here it seemed a dumb idea to directly compete against her boss.

Hee! at robot repellent being a thing in this universe.

14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Shoot, that reminds me . . . who were the villains on the target? I recognized Deathstroke and Calculator (the updated version). I think the one on top was from Jeff Lemire's run on Green Arrow.

I think China White was on there, too. I don't know the rest. Was that an actual Green Arrow toy? I feel like that could be a real item.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, paulvdb said:

Did a different episode air in Canada or somewhere?

I'm watching from Canada, and I got the episode about Dr. Psycho and the company retreat. I hope the Green Fury episode gets aired here next week, since it sounds more interesting. 

(edited)

Hulu has the "Dawn of Justice" episode that aired last night on NBC.

I have to say that I loved Emily's wardrobe in this episode.  And yes, watching her tell Van off was worth the price of admission, even though she basically had to undo it at the end of the episode.

Teddy, Green Fury is WAY out of your league.  And don't think for a minute that Hannah hasn't figured out why you REALLY kept blowing her off.  I'd say she's done with you.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 2

The last two episodes have been lacking. This one was better than last weeks. I like the green arrow kids toy that they used for the challenge and that the whole office was there (to stroke Van's ego). I never get tired of the opening credits. I like all the cast members except for Wendy. I wonder if they cut Kate from that role because then you would have two waifish brunettes with high voices on the show. But Wendy the character, as she is, and the actress just are falling flat.

On 4/6/2017 at 8:42 PM, Lantern7 said:

Green Fury? Not Green Flame? Okay, then. I'm not upset GF didn't have a Brazilian accent, though I probably wouldn't know what that would sound like off the bat.

Well, Crimson Fox is supposed to be French, but this show's version of her didn't have a French accent, either.

(edited)

So Canada got a different episode? Here in the states we got Van and Emily being competitive and Green Fury being fabulous and out of Teddy's league. That's really random, why do that?

I would have been down with that helmet guy saving me sometime. Hello...

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Teddy, Green Fury is WAY out of your league.  And don't think for a minute that Hannah hasn't figured out why you REALLY kept blowing her off.  I'd say she's done with you.

I think Natalie Morales actually played it like she was attracted to Teddy, though.  That meeting with Hannah there she seemed like she was fishing for "no" to be the real answer to "are you guys on a date?"

But yeah, Teddy, stop being a dick.  Hannah seems nice and probably doesn't deserve you throwing her over while she's standing right there.

• Love 3
(edited)
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

So Canada got a different episode? Here in the states we got Van and Emily being competitive and Green Fury being fabulous and out of Teddy's league. That's really random, why do that?

I would have been down with that musically guy saving me sometime. Hello...

The Olympian?  He bats for the other team.  And yeah, he could rescue me any day!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 1

I strongly suspect that NBC rescheduled Emergency Punch-Up because its plot bears an uncomfortable (albeit superficial) resemblance to a serious event in the news.  To avoid appearing insensitive (or even exploitative, particularly among those who mistakenly perceive the timing as deliberate), television networks usually react to such a coincidence by substituting either a rerun or a first-run episode originally scheduled for a later date. 

For programming of U.S. origin, CTV and other Canadian broadcasters typically coordinate with their American counterparts on such matters (and mirror any scheduling adjustments made in advance).  When an episode preempted in the U.S. airs in Canada as planned, this usually reflects a last-minute change (more commonly stemming from sporting event overruns and the like).

In the case of Emergency Punch-Up, I'm surprised that the decision wasn't made sooner.  I've seen programming pulled in light of parallels far less obvious than this one.  In 2015, USA (a sister channel to NBC) postponed the season finale of Mr. Robot by a week because a single scene depicted an occurrence vaguely similar to one from real life.  In that instance, I doubt that any sort of connection would have even crossed most viewers' minds, but USA erred on the side of caution (despite much shorter notice than NBC had this week).

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Rowsdower said:

I strongly suspect that NBC rescheduled Emergency Punch-Up because its plot bears an uncomfortable (albeit superficial) resemblance to a serious event in the news.  To avoid appearing insensitive (or even exploitative, particularly among those who mistakenly perceive the timing as deliberate), television networks usually react to such a coincidence by substituting either a rerun or a first-run episode originally scheduled for a later date. 

For programming of U.S. origin, CTV and other Canadian broadcasters typically coordinate with their American counterparts on such matters (and mirror any scheduling adjustments made in advance).  When an episode preempted in the U.S. airs in Canada as planned, this usually reflects a last-minute change (more commonly stemming from sporting event overruns and the like).

In the case of Emergency Punch-Up, I'm surprised that the decision wasn't made sooner.  I've seen programming pulled in light of parallels far less obvious than this one.  In 2015, USA (a sister channel to NBC) postponed the season finale of Mr. Robot by a week because a single scene depicted an occurrence vaguely similar to one from real life.  In that instance, I doubt that any sort of connection would have even crossed most viewers' minds, but USA erred on the side of caution (despite much shorter notice than NBC had this week).

Y'know, that makes a lot of sense. Surprised it didn't occur to me earlier.

• Love 2

Personally, if they are doing (another) reboot, I could do without Vanessa Higgins and have more of Christina Kirk as The Only Sane Person.

And much more of the crazy but necessary inventions.

I like the woman engineer too, and wish she was given more time. She has a 'cut to the chase' attitude that tickles me, like hitting the guy with the chair to prove he wasn't whatever superhero they thought he might be. (That the chair was yellow and therefore proved nothing was a sop to the fanboys.) Another Only Sane Person.

I did like Van's line about knowing people's names and the little firefly joke... Kay, Lee, Malcom! Zoey, Simon... Puffy Haired guy.

I'm enjoying this show a lot... it's very silly and goofy, but that's what makes it entertaining and I do like most of the cast and the play on super hero stuff behind the scenes. I do want more of the crazy inventions, though!

• Love 4
On 9-4-2017 at 4:59 AM, femmefan1946 said:

Personally, if they are doing (another) reboot, I could do without Vanessa Higgins and have more of Christina Kirk as The Only Sane Person.

And much more of the crazy but necessary inventions.

I like the woman engineer too, and wish she was given more time. She has a 'cut to the chase' attitude that tickles me, like hitting the guy with the chair to prove he wasn't whatever superhero they thought he might be. (That the chair was yellow and therefore proved nothing was a sop to the fanboys.) Another Only Sane Person.

I agree that it would be nice to see more of their inventions. In an earlier episode thread I had mentioned a comparison with Better Off Ted to which this show has some similarities in that they are both centered on teams that develop new products. The difference is that on BOT they showed more of the actual development and products. After all these years I can still remember some of those products like the lab-grown meat that tasted like despair. And even some that were mentioned but never shown like the octochicken. I think Powerless could improve if they focused more on that instead of what they've been doing so far.

• Love 2

While Green Fury is certainly all kinds of hot, I did love how Ron was Teddy's voice of relative "Dude, so not in your league" sanity about her.  That said, even though she basically caused Teddy's date with Hannah to implode after less than two minutes...was it just me, or was there a tiny amount of clickage?

As for Emily Emily-ing things up with Van...thuganomics85 is/was exactly right.  While to some degree it's been easier for the crew to just sort of massage Van's Giganta-sized ego, you can only take so much of it; conversely, Emily being so out of joint over the whole thing seemed a trifle sudden and a little weird.  (Random abrupt character growth?)

• Love 2

I didn't get a good look at the photo of Hannah so my immediate assumption was that Hannah was Green Fury's secret identity.

The Olympian has blue eyes. 

I wasn't feeling this week's episode. I might be getting to the place where I give up on this show. I don't think I'd be watching if there were more options (that didn't involve getting sucked into Netflix for hours).

6 hours ago, aradia22 said:

I didn't get a good look at the photo of Hannah so my immediate assumption was that Hannah was Green Fury's secret identity.

Except that Hannah and Green Fury were both in the same scene with Teddy, but even without that to prove that Hannah and Green Fury were different women, it was clear that Teddy wasn't even a blip on Green Fury's radar, his delusions about her notwithstanding.

Besides, Green Fury doesn't really have a secret identity.  Everyone knows that her real name is Beatriz da Costa.

On 4/7/2017 at 3:00 PM, Trini said:

Hee! at robot repellent being a thing in this universe.

Laser Extinguisher too

On 4/7/2017 at 10:55 PM, legaleagle53 said:

And don't think for a minute that Hannah hasn't figured out why you REALLY kept blowing her off.  I'd say she's done with you.

She said something about how his BS app caused his phone problems before her purse was stolen "You're lucky yiu're cute."  But I don't think she finds him cute any more.

On 4/10/2017 at 11:27 PM, roctavia said:

I did like Van's line about knowing people's names and the little firefly joke... Kay, Lee, Malcom! Zoey, Simon... Puffy Haired guy.

I missed that!! LOL