Type keyword(s) to search

Media: Meemaw Says

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Artsda said:

Last season.

Kid Dancing GIF

First time I’ve celebrated the ending announcement for a show I still really enjoy. 

My biggest concern was always that they would try to continue the show past the natural stopping point of Sheldon starting his postgrad. This gives them time to wrap it up with some poignant TBBT references without making me suffer through the pain we know is to come for the Coopers. 

Would prefer a Missy spin off if we have to have one, she is the star of the show as far as I'm concerned & doesn't get enough screen time.

• Like 6
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

Nope. Not on board with this one. Part of the charm of both this show and the Big Bang theory is the cast interactions. I’m not interested in watching Georgie and Mandy off in their own little corner. I’m interested in their interactions within the Cooper family and the Medford community. That we already see in Young Sheldon.

• Like 4
8 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Nope. Not on board with this one. Part of the charm of both this show and the Big Bang theory is the cast interactions. I’m not interested in watching Georgie and Mandy off in their own little corner. I’m interested in their interactions within the Cooper family and the Medford community. That we already see in Young Sheldon.

I'm wondering if we will see some of the cast of "Young Sheldon" on this, like Meemaw, Georgie's mom and even Missy.  I can't imagine they could do the show without some family around.  If they handled it almost like a continuation of YS without Sheldon that might not be so bad.

10 hours ago, Shrek said:

Would prefer a Missy spin off if we have to have one, she is the star of the show as far as I'm concerned & doesn't get enough screen time.

I agree completely!

The interesting thing is that the posted article said that this show would be in addition to the BBT spin-off that is supposed to be in the works.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, januaryman said:

So much for the days when shows would run their course and actors would move on and do other roles. 

Welcome to the new days, where franchises are literally beaten to death.

• LOL 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, juno said:

If you watch channels like METV and GET* you'll see a plethora of both failed and successful spin-offs from 1960s—80s shows.

For instance, the still-wonderfully watchable Barney Miller tried and failed with Fish.

Murder She Wrote spun off The Law & Harry McGraw with a great cast (Jerry Orbach and Barbara Babcock) that was horribly executed.

Ironside, which is not really a spin-off of Perry Mason, was similar enough in format to have appealed to Perry Mason fans, and was well-executed, if unimaginative, but, perhaps most important to its 8-season success, also starred Raymond Burr, whose imprint on both shows goes beyond his screen presence.

Happy Days had a mixed bag of spin-offs, including enough winners (e.g., Mork & Mindy and Laverne & Shirley) to keep this concept of spin-offs viable to networks execs who hold the purse strings until now.

Perhaps even more proof of the successful spin-off are the few winners spawned from All In The Family, especially Maude, as well as Good Times and The Jeffersons (forget the loser spin-offs: get.tv/gettv-blog/all-family-7-spin-offs-tvs-most-spun-sitcom).

So, for this proposed Big Bang Theory >Young Sheldon spin-off to work, it's going to take a lot of talent, insight, and luck.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 3
  • Fire 1
13 hours ago, januaryman said:

So much for the days when shows would run their course and actors would move on and do other roles. 

4 hours ago, juno said:

Kelsey Grammer spent twenty consecutive years playing Frasier Crane. And now is doing it again. And @shapeshifter pointed out the plethora of spin-offs in the past. Spin-offs have been happening since the beginning of tv time. If anything, it’s comforting that nothing changes when it comes to hit shows. They squeeze them until they get all the success and money they can out of them.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, januaryman said:

11 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I'm wondering if we will see some of the cast of "Young Sheldon" on this, like Meemaw, Georgie's mom and even Missy.  I can't imagine they could do the show without some family around.  If they handled it almost like a continuation of YS without Sheldon that might not be so bad.

I agree completely!

The interesting thing is that the posted article said that this show would be in addition to the BBT spin-off that is supposed to be in the works.

3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

If you watch channels like METV and GET* you'll see a plethora of both failed and successful spin-offs from 1960s—80s shows.

For instance, the still-wonderfully watchable Barney Miller tried and failed with Fish.

Murder She Wrote spun off The Law & Harry McGraw with a great cast (Jerry Orbach and Barbara Babcock) that was horribly executed.

Ironside, which is not really a spin-off of Perry Mason, was similar enough in format to have appealed to Perry Mason fans, and was well-executed, if unimaginative, but, perhaps most important to its 8-season success, also starred Raymond Burr, whose imprint on both shows goes beyond his screen presence.

Happy Days had a mixed bag of spin-offs, including enough winners (e.g., Mork & Mindy and Laverne & Shirley) to keep this concept of spin-offs viable to networks execs who hold the purse strings until now.

Perhaps even more proof of the successful spin-off are the few winners spawned from All In The Family, especially Maude, as well as Good Times and The Jeffersons (forget the loser spin-offs: get.tv/gettv-blog/all-family-7-spin-offs-tvs-most-spun-sitcom).

So, for this proposed Big Bang Theory >Young Sheldon spin-off to work, it's going to take a lot of talent, insight, and luck.

3 hours ago, kariyaki said:

Kelsey Grammer spent twenty consecutive years playing Frasier Crane. And now is doing it again. And @shapeshifter pointed out the plethora of spin-offs in the past. Spin-offs have been happening since the beginning of tv time. If anything, it’s comforting that nothing changes when it comes to hit shows. They squeeze them until they get all the success and money they can out of them.

Yep. Franchise extension is nothing new. Even spin offs of spin offs with increasingly peripheral characters has a long and distinguished history. Especially with sitcoms. If the spin off is good we tend to forget that it started as a cash grab and if it's bad we tend to forget it ever existed. After all for every Fraiser there is at least one Tortellis...

And since this is the media thread here is a very relevant news story to this conversation reinforcing @shapeshifter's point.

Chuck Lorre to Receive Inaugural Norman Lear Award at Variety Showrunners Dinner

• Useful 1

Sneak peek of the premiere:

And just like that I’m right back to hating Mary. I understand wanting to go back to help after the tornado but she expects Sheldon to drop his literal job teaching a class and go with her because she can’t abide leaving him by himself, even though he probably could stay at the dorms?! Ugh.

• Like 3
On 1/13/2024 at 11:38 AM, chitowngirl said:

Spin-offs sometimes take a character in a different direction too. Lou Grant was very different than when that character was on The Mary Tyler Moore Show.

Yes. When I think of older spin-offs, I think of two things. One is what you mentioned; after a series ends, taking a single character and following them to a new location/situation. Lou Grant and Frasier are excellent examples of this.

The second is taking a character that may be more a side character/recurring character or only appeared once and creating a show around them. Examples of this would Laverne and Shirley who appeared in a few episodes of Happy Days before getting their own show. Maude and the Jeffersons each appeared in multiple episodes of All in the Family before getting their own show. 

My problem with the Georgie and Mandy spin-off is that it feels more like a continuation of Young Sheldon than a new/separate show. If they wanted to go the route of more or less continuing Young Sheldon without Sheldon, create a new show Young Missy. I've been hoping they would let her (Adult Missy) narrate an episode. I can't be the only one who would love to hear what Missy thought/her perspective on her family, her neighbors, classmates, and life. Also, Missy is severely underdeveloped and underused. This would be the perfect way to fix that. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Sarah 103 said:

My problem with the Georgie and Mandy spin-off is that it feels more like a continuation of Young Sheldon than a new/separate show. If they wanted to go the route of more or less continuing Young Sheldon without Sheldon, create a new show Young Missy. I've been hoping they would let her (Adult Missy) narrate an episode. I can't be the only one who would love to hear what Missy thought/her perspective on her family, her neighbors, classmates, and life. Also, Missy is severely underdeveloped and underused. This would be the perfect way to fix that. 

I agree with you about Missy, but I think they may be looking to expand upon Mandy's family, who we have only seen in snippets so far.  They also may show more scenes in the auto shop and this may be how they turn Georgie into the Tire Doctor eventually.  All that may take the show in a slightly different direction and allow for new characters.  I'm still having a hard time picturing much of that being very entertaining but I figure that if this show was that good there's a chance that one might not be so bad either.  At least I'm trying to remain hopeful!

• Like 2
(edited)
On 1/20/2024 at 1:57 AM, Yeah No said:

I agree with you about Missy, but I think they may be looking to expand upon Mandy's family, who we have only seen in snippets so far.  They also may show more scenes in the auto shop and this may be how they turn Georgie into the Tire Doctor eventually.  All that may take the show in a slightly different direction and allow for new characters.  

When you put it like, it does seem like it's going to be more of its own separate show than a pure continuation of Young Sheldon. I could see this possibly working if they spend more time in the auto-shop and turn it into a hybrid workplace/domestic sitcom. Show Georgie at work with his father-in-law and also Georgie at home with Mandy. I don't know how good it will be or if it would work, but your idea has a least a bit of potential. 

Edited by Sarah 103
  • Like 2

I just...don't like the Mandy character enough for her to pull half the weight in the proposed new show.  I love Georgie, though, and he's always been an interesting character to me.  He's more complex than Sheldon's dismissive comments about his brother on TBBT.

I'd sign onto a spinoff/continuation of the Missy and Georgie story after oh, uh, spoiler: 

Spoiler

George's death, where Missy ends up spending more time with Georgie and Mandy and Meemaw because Mary went off the deep end after George's death and got more and more fanatically religious.  

I like the actress who plays Mary, I just don't like Mary.  

• Like 3
On 1/27/2024 at 2:00 PM, HurricaneVal said:

I'd sign onto a spinoff/continuation of the Missy and Georgie story

Same here. Call it Young Coopers and it would totally work. The show doesn't need Sheldon. I can't tell you exactly when it happened, but at some point Sheldon became the least interesting character on the show for me. It works incredibly well as an ensemble show. I wish CBS would keep that going. 

• Like 4
(edited)

Previews for next week:

I fucking hate Mary. Connie herself told her not to come, that was literally no room for them at the moment, but Mary basically flat out lies to Sheldon to get her way AGAIN. And no, Sheldon is not being selfish this time, there is literally nothing he can do to help the situation no matter how terrible he feels. Mary just wants an excuse to keep her precious baby under her thumb.

On the flip side, good for Missy for stepping up.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Like 1
7 hours ago, andidante said:

I thought Connie was going to stay with Dale? Unless I am remembering wrong from the end of last season.

Given how crowded the Cooper house is at the moment, I can’t imagine Connie’s going to spend more than a night or two there. If Dale’s place is intact I imagine she’ll be over there pretty quick. There’s no way she and George Senior exist under the same roof peacefully for more than a day or two.

• Like 2
On 2/5/2024 at 8:14 PM, Sarah 103 said:

Same here. Call it Young Coopers and it would totally work. The show doesn't need Sheldon. I can't tell you exactly when it happened, but at some point Sheldon became the least interesting character on the show for me. It works incredibly well as an ensemble show. I wish CBS would keep that going. 

I may be alone in this, but, as much as I love Missy, any direct continuation of Young Sheldon is the last thing I want to see. The Coopers are going into the years I really do not want to see. I’d love a young adult Missy series (preferably with Paige) but Raegan Revord is still a little too young for that to work.

I can’t say I want a Georgie and Mandy show but they are the only characters that aren’t really limited by canon. Plus I really liked the two sitcoms Emily Osment has starred in (Young & Hungry and Pretty Smart) so I’ll probably give it a shot.

(edited)
11 hours ago, Dani said:

I may be alone in this, but, as much as I love Missy, any direct continuation of Young Sheldon is the last thing I want to see. The Coopers are going into the years I really do not want to see. I’d love a young adult Missy series (preferably with Paige) but Raegan Revord is still a little too young for that to work.

Yeah.
Raegan Revord is 16. 
Sally Field was 19 when she started Gidget
Patty Duke was 19 when she started The Patty Duke Show (playing a double role as identical cousins).

There are (fortunately) legal limits to the number of hours per day for actors under 18.

Miley Cirus was just 14 when she started Hannah Montana. I'm not sure how that worked with regards to hours per day.

Edited by shapeshifter
11 hours ago, Dani said:

I can’t say I want a Georgie and Mandy show but they are the only characters that aren’t really limited by canon. Plus I really liked the two sitcoms Emily Osment has starred in (Young & Hungry and Pretty Smart) so I’ll probably give it a shot.

I'm with you on this for the same reasons.  There were so many other possibilities they could have pursued for a spin-off.  This feels like just a continuation of YS without Sheldon in it and probably more of Mandy's parents.  While it will be nice to see all the characters again I just don't see how Georgie and Mandy will be able to carry a show as main characters. 

There's always another possibility, though, that they set this show in the future a few years.  That may make it more interesting.  Also, is there any reason to believe that we won't see Sheldon at all in this spin-off?  I know he's supposed to go off to school but that doesn't mean he'll fall off the face of the earth either.

6 hours ago, Yeah No said:

There's always another possibility, though, that they set this show in the future a few years.  That may make it more interesting.  Also, is there any reason to believe that we won't see Sheldon at all in this spin-off?  I know he's supposed to go off to school but that doesn't mean he'll fall off the face of the earth either.

Well, if they’re going to insist on proceeding with a spinoff based on Georgie and Mandy, moving the timeline for a couple of years, actually gets them out of having to show Sheldon. By the time we see Georgie as an adult on the Big Bang Theory, it’s been established that the brothers are deeply estranged and haven’t communicated in years. Possibly since George Senior‘s death.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yeah.
Raegan Revord is 16. 
Sally Field was 19 when she started Gidget
Patty Duke was 19 when she started The Patty Duke Show (playing a double role as identical cousins).

There are (fortunately) legal limits to the number of hours per day for actors under 18.

Miley Cirus was just 14 when she started Hannah Montana. I'm not sure how that worked with regards to hours per day.

Raegan also just announced her debut novel is being published next year and she started a book club so her plate is already pretty full. 

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

It would also make sense to do a time jump so they don't have to show the family grieving in the immediate aftermath of George's death. 

I would be shocked if they didn’t do this. Both actors are already older than their characters and Georgie doesn’t stay in Medford. This way they could go with a whole new supporting cast and have guest appearances from the YS cast. 

5 hours ago, anna0852 said:

Well, if they’re going to insist on proceeding with a spinoff based on Georgie and Mandy, moving the timeline for a couple of years, actually gets them out of having to show Sheldon. By the time we see Georgie as an adult on the Big Bang Theory, it’s been established that the brothers are deeply estranged and haven’t communicated in years. Possibly since George Senior‘s death.

I can't imagine that the show would want to look for reasons not to feature Sheldon on the spin off every now and then.  He doesn't have to interact with Georgie to appear on this show.  If Mary is featured on the show Sheldon could always come to visit her or Meemaw on school breaks and holidays and appear in a side plot with them.  None of them have to fall off the face of the earth just because the show centers around Georgie and Mandy.

4 hours ago, possibilities said:

It would also make sense to do a time jump so they don't have to show the family grieving in the immediate aftermath of George's death. 

Yes!  That was the kind of reason I was looking for when I said it might make things more interesting if this were set a few years in the future.  We don't need to wallow in those dark days after George's death and we might see some interesting changes too.

• Like 2

@Yeah No-There is another compelling reason to skip ahead a few years for the Georgie and Mandy spin-off. The baby will be more of a character that can impact/play a role in plot lines as opposed to being a prop. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Sarah 103 said:

@Yeah No-There is another compelling reason to skip ahead a few years for the Georgie and Mandy spin-off. The baby will be more of a character that can impact/play a role in plot lines as opposed to being a prop. 

Yes, exactly.  That would make a lot of sense.  Although I was amazed at how BBT used Howard and Bernadette's babies very creatively in their plots.  Still, I would prefer the former scenario here.  I think the show needs to bring something new and fresh to it.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

As much as I like Georgie's character on YS, I don't think this is going to be good.

I think it's weird that they're going over to filming before a live studio audience.  I suppose I should just hope for the best, but I have my doubts.  We're too used to seeing these same characters in the other format.  I can't imagine how they would make this interesting on limited sets but whatever.

It looks like we might see Georgie and Mandy's wedding by the end of YS's final season.  I wonder if that means they'll pick this up right after that.  I was kind of hoping for it to be set a few years in the future.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Yeah No said:

I was kind of hoping for it to be set a few years in the future.

That would be a slight improvement.  Sitcoms with babies just aren't that interesting (I'm looking at you Murphy Brown), that's why Lucy went to Europe then Hollywood, leaving Little Ricky in New York.

• Like 2
52 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

That would be a slight improvement.  Sitcoms with babies just aren't that interesting (I'm looking at you Murphy Brown), that's why Lucy went to Europe then Hollywood, leaving Little Ricky in New York.

I think it worked on BBT, but Howard and Bernadette weren't the main stars of the show and we never really saw the kids until the very end of the series.  Plus they managed to use the other stars of the show in plots that involved the kids, but only peripherally.  Here the whole show is supposed to revolve around Georgie, Mandy and family so I agree with you.