Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E01: Tiger Pushes Mountain

Looking forward to the show's return (not realised its been 15 months away).

Some interesting events should play out well over the course of season 2. Though, not too keen on the Widow's storyline, I like the character in action & what she stands for, but not too keen on her being a focus point. A bit like Quinn last season, he worked as a focal point to a degree but wasn't that individually interesting.

• Love 1

Damn, I was right to doubt that Quinn was dead! We will never be rid of him!

Why didn't Sonny wait until after he was unchained to escape? His facial hair is so neat. Guess, they provide prisoners with razors. Ha.

Good to see Nick Frost. The show needs his humor.

Jeez, how long before MK is free? Sonny and Vail need him. Tilda is not the same woman he left behind.

The Widow was over the top killing all those men. Whose picture was she looking at? A young Sonny? Or someone else?

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Sorry, SimoneS, I totally disgaree about Nick Frost.  I thought he was dreadful, his accent was so out-of-place and he was remarkably well-fed looking for toiling in a mine.  I don't even know why they thought they needed any comic relief.

I can't believe how disappointed I was in this - except for the widow, of course.  And Tilda.  I'm waiting for Jade to join forces with them. 

What I really liked last season was how creative, original and visually stunning the show was - the plantations, the barons etc.  Now - what could possibly be more cliched than the hero toiling in a mine, the young one sent to a monastery to hone his powers?  The whole mine thing is boring, visually unappealing (yes, I know, it's supposed to be), except for that initial Sonny fight.  What a waste of a great character.

As for Mk - ugh.  Bad writing, bad acting.  Who cares?  For that matter, are we supposed to be surprised that the Master is a woman?  Why isn't she referred to as the Mistress? 

• Love 1

This show did not have a plotline strong enough to disappear for 15 months; I can barely remember why anyone is doing anything.  And the only "child actor" who's recognizable has a Prince Valiant haircut, which is kind of a cheater, smile.  BUT, the whole production is so rich and visual--if I were back in my stoner days, I'd be playing this thing on an endless loop.

Pro-Nick Frost.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

Damn, I was right to doubt that Quinn was dead! We will never be rid of him!

Everyone in the Badlands is sure that Quinn is dead...must be a nightmare / hallucination

How many episodes until Sunny kills the head Gladiator?

Edited by paigow

Hot Fuzz sealed my Nick Frost love. So far I am enjoying the lightheartedness that he has brought to Sonny's captivity. I am going to fanwank that he hasn't been captured long which explains his physique.

I think the actor playing MK has improved somewhat. I like him anyway. I just hope that we are not subjected to him playing grasshopper for too long. He should be able to beat the master who is injured by next week. I would like to learn soon is what is possessing MK when he bleeds.

The main thing that I like about this show is the colors. They are bright and eye catching. 

19 minutes ago, paigow said:

Everyone in the Badlands is sure that Quinn is dead...must be a nightmare / hallucination

If only. 

Edited by SimoneS

Well, I like having Quinn back. I enjoyed Martin Csokas's scenery-chewing and mustache-twirling last season, and he was really the only villain on the show anyway. 

This show comes to a deafening halt whenever TK is onscreen. Terrible actor, ponderous Chosen One plot. 

Emily Beecham, as always, makes the show. 

Edited by Shriekingeel
  • Love 3

Why would the warden leave Sonny alive after he killed so many guards? No consequence and no retaliation from the guards? Seeing as how miners who don't fulfill their quota are killed in the gladiator games, his continued survival makes no sense. 

The Widow's ascension up the stairs was compelling, but did she need to kill that many that many seemingly untrained guards just to deliver a that message. The Baron was right there on the premises, why didn't she deliver the message to him?

The show is beautiful to look at but they need sensible storylines sequences.

I'm looking forward to Quinn. Always enjoyed his presence.

6 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

Why would the warden leave Sonny alive after he killed so many guards? No consequence and no retaliation from the guards? Seeing as how miners who don't fulfill their quota are killed in the gladiator games, his continued survival makes no sense. 

Thought the same. My only guess is he wants to break Sunny and enjoys oppressing an elite subject.

The widow, MY GOD!!!! Quinn is back, LMAO!!! That was an entertaining episode, so much fun can't wait for next Sunday!!

9 hours ago, candall said:

This show did not have a plotline strong enough to disappear for 15 months; I can barely remember why anyone is doing anything.  And the only "child actor" who's recognizable has a Prince Valiant haircut, which is kind of a cheater, smile.  BUT, the whole production is so rich and visual--if I were back in my stoner days, I'd be playing this thing on an endless loop.

Pro-Nick Frost.

LMAO!!! Pre Stoner days??? What's stopping you now???

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, PodcastTown said:

Quinn is back, LMAO!!!

Quinn already killed his personal doctor...who cured his stab wound? Would any doctor linked to other barons help him?

• Love 1
13 hours ago, candall said:

This show did not have a plotline strong enough to disappear for 15 months; I can barely remember why anyone is doing anything.

Ditto, I could barely remember the outlines of last season and with the facial hair and the grime I wasn't even sure that it was Sunny in the shackles until he started busting out the kung-fu.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, mjc570 said:

I'm waiting for Jade to join forces with them. 

The whole mine thing is boring, visually unappealing (yes, I know, it's supposed to be), except for that initial Sonny fight.  What a waste of a great character.

Jade should be dead.  D.E.A.D.  She's "used goods" and I don't see Ryder would want her in any way.

The mine makes no sense.  The captain of the ship that took Sonny out of the Badlands said he was worth a fortune as a killer.  Why would he sell him as mine fodder?

15 hours ago, SimoneS said:

He should be able to beat the master who is injured by next week.

Yes, please, another white man who out-Asians the Asian -- can't get enough of that!  It makes NO sense that a kid with virtually no training would be able to beat someone who has trained for so long, unless his white boy genes overpower her pathetic Asian ones.  At best, he should show that he progressed enough -- if he beats the Master, I'm done. 

14 hours ago, Iguessnot said:

They need sensible storylines sequences.

Thanks for the laugh, but why think they're going to start now?

2 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

Thanks for the laugh, but why think they're going to start now?

Indeed they won't, not with the foolishness that just aired.

I can't imagine what their bucket of blood budget is. They are trying to achieve anime levels of blood splatter.

• Love 1

Who cares what the story line is?  Who cares how horrible the acting is?  I only watch to see those stiletto heels deliver some serious ass-kicking!  Everything else is simply there to stitch those scenes together!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Who cares what the story line is?  Who cares how horrible the acting is?  I only watch to see those stiletto heels deliver some serious ass-kicking!  Everything else is simply there to stitch those scenes together!

Ha, so true.  I briefly wondered what happened to the woman who went back to her father's cult compound--but then I forgot about her because there was Hidden Dragon magic going on.

It kind of reminds me of the original Twin Peaks show.  The storyline was barely comprehensible, but every episode had cool music and lush visuals and something going on that was clever or interesting and made the whole thing eminently watchable.  More pie, please!

On 3/19/2017 at 10:44 PM, candall said:

This show did not have a plotline strong enough to disappear for 15 months; I can barely remember why anyone is doing anything.

Definitely agree with you on this one.  When it popped up on my DVR, I was like, "What is this?".  I had to google it to remember what it was about.  Then when I watched S2E1, I thought they would kind of backtrack to jog the memory of what happened at the end of the first season.  Anybody tuning in for the first time would be totally lost.

I fast-forwarded through the mine stuff.  It's so dark I can't see anything anyway.  I read the recap the next day to explain what happened :-).

No surprise, the fight scenes easily blow out the ones on Iron Fist.  Granted, it helps that Daniel Wu, Emily Beecham, etc. can actually do the the majority of their own fights.

Man, it's been ages since the first season, so I didn't remember half of the stuff that happened last season.  I remember Sunny getting captured, but I totally forgot all about M.K. getting sent to some monastery, The Widow and Tilda taking on Ryder and Jade, and so forth.  Granted, it is not like the plot has ever been that important, and its only importance is to find ways to set up these awesome fights.  Guess I can't complain too much.

Didn't really pay attention to any of the press, so I totally didn't know Nick Frost was going to be in this season.  That was a bit weird.

They pretty much spoiled Quinn's return, by having Martin Csokas still in the credits.

I'm guessing Jacobee and Zypher are gone.  At least Edi Gathegi is on the Blacklist spin-off, but I'm bummed that there will be no Ellen Hollman kicking ass this season.

No surprise, all the stuff involving The Widow ended up being my favorite.  Especially curious about Tilda killing those men on her own accord.  Their alliance might not be as strong as it will need to be!

On 3/21/2017 at 2:42 PM, Evagirl said:

Definitely agree with you on this one.  When it popped up on my DVR, I was like, "What is this?".  I had to google it to remember what it was about.  Then when I watched S2E1, I thought they would kind of backtrack to jog the memory of what happened at the end of the first season.  Anybody tuning in for the first time would be totally lost.

They marathoned the previous episodes that morning.  My DVR picked them up so I was able to watch the last 2 eps to catch up.

My Sunny is back!  I found that this is one of those shows that you have to turn your brain way down in order to enjoy it. 

Now this is the one thing that kind of stuck in my craw besides Quinn still being alive; it's only six months later and Veil has already given birth? It seems like last season she just found out she was pregnant. But, I'll file that away and get to the "Quinn has Sunny's baby" freak outs.  

The Widow chopped those Clippers to bits to prove a point to Baron Ryder.  Clearly the quality of Clippers have seriously dropped since Sunny went away! 

I also knew Tilda wouldn't let those rogue Clippers get away alive.  She has a clear problem with men abusing women; the Widow should have remembered that! 

M.K. and the Master? Eh. I'd like to say that it was his unbridled strength that caused the Master's injury as opposed to what little skills he possesses.  I just wonder what makes him so much more powerful than the others.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Stardancer Supreme said:

I just wonder what makes him so much more powerful than the others.

He's in the main cast.  Other than that he's the Chosen One/Bringer of Doom/Final Master/Ultimate Weapon/Insert Pretentious Supertype Label Here.

• Love 3
On 3/26/2017 at 9:45 PM, johntfs said:

He's in the main cast.  Other than that he's the Chosen One/Bringer of Doom/Final Master/Ultimate Weapon/Insert Pretentious Supertype Label Here.

The White Guy who Out-Asians the Asians.

• Love 1
On 3/21/2017 at 8:20 PM, thuganomics85 said:

No surprise, the fight scenes easily blow out the ones on Iron Fist.  Granted, it helps that Daniel Wu, Emily Beecham, etc. can actually do the the majority of their own fights.

Imagine how much better Iron Fist would have been if they'd hired an actual martial artist like Daniel Wu for the lead, instead of boring white guy...

I love Sunny and the Widow, they are my favorite characters. I don't mind Nick Frost, he can be very funny and I think this show needs a little levity from time to time.

I was disappointed to see that Quinn had survived.  It makes Sunny's revenge from Season 1 pointless. Quinn was a good villain for a while but I'm tired of him. One season of him was enough. Get rid of him already!

M.K.'s story is only interesting because I'm curious of the mystery of his power...otherwise he just another boring "male Chosen One" type. Why can't the Chosen One ever be a woman??

• Love 1
1 hour ago, KaleyFirefly said:

Imagine how much better Iron Fist would have been if they'd hired an actual martial artist like Daniel Wu for the lead, instead of boring white guy...

But they had to hire someone whose hands can light up!  Right?

• Love 2