Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 3/6/2017

Athena
  • Start Topic

I've LOVED the Walt Disney World episodes this week. I'm a big Disney fan and, after Epcot, Animal Kingdom is my next favorite park. I'm also a travel agent who specializes in Disney Destinations, so I live and breathe Disney. All that being said, that singing competition today was the most batshit crazy thing I've seen on the show in ages. Such a waste of time and not pleasant to watch at all.

Re: Ben Carson being smart...I had posted on Facebook a couple months ago about how I was surprised Ben Carson was awake long enough to attend some event and was completely reemed out by someone whose friend's daughter lived due to some life-saving surgery he performed on her and was told--repeatedly--that he was brilliant. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, HoboClayton said:

Neurosurgery savant. I will never understand why he chose to go the political route. It has ruined his public legacy. Though, his accomplishments in medicine should not be excluded. It's cringeworthy.

I seriously cannot imagine this man in surgery. On any given day, he looks about 18% awake.

• Love 5

I read a novel written by a man whose father was a doctor (maybe the author was a doctor too) -- can't remember the name of the book or the author.  One character is an old surgeon & he tells a young surgeon that they're just like auto mechanics & their job is to fix the machine when it breaks.  Not that auto mechanics aren't smart, but they only need to learn how a given machine works, which curious little kids do all the time.  Surgeons aren't inventing anything, or figuring out new ways to cure diseases or conditions -- they're working within a closed system that's well-known to them, & just have to correct malfunctions when those occur.   The thinkers in medicine are those who discover causes & devise remedies such as vaccines, organ transplants, etc.

Dr. Carson learned what he needed to know through diligent study & understanding, plus rote memory -- he then applied it carefully & skillfully with great manual dexterity.  Separating twin infants whose skulls were conjoined was certainly no mean feat, but it called only for certain talents & abilities that Dr. Carson had developed -- the fact that he was able to accomplish it does not mean that he's any more "brilliant" or even capable of reasoning than anyone else is.   

• Love 10
9 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Jed's accent was full throttle today wasn't it?   She's just so damn cool.  She thinks.   What was with her waving her hands in the air like she was some superstar trying to rev up the crowd at a concert?  It was even worse than usual today.  

You're on the damn View, sister, not performing a halftime show at the Superbowl.  And you share the stage with four other people.  Dial it down a notch, Madonna.

I started to quote your first few sentences, Celia Rubenstein, but your ENTIRE post needs to be read again.  Is someone in Production telling her that she's the most popular..the bomb?  That everyone loves EVERYTHING about her and she needs to rev it up even more?  I agree, "Dial it down a notch, Madonna," and don't let the door hit you on your way out.  Soon, we hope.    

P.S.  Stupid overalls with spike sandals...ugh!

6 hours ago, TheGreenKnight said:

I agree, the show's a bit boring, but I don't mind them having weeks like this once in a while. I think there's something a little quaint about them sitting outside in sunglasses

It's been in the high 70s/80s here (Phoenix area) and Tuesday is forecasted to be freakin'-NINETY!  Our sun is so bright it's almost impossible to drive without shades.   I assume the way their table is set up, they're staring into the sun.  They would be squinting and a bit blinded if they didn't have the glasses.  I'd like the glasses to have been "a thing," so they each had different special glasses...and maybe changed them throughout the show.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Fannysue said:

It must have been pot!

I think you're right .. that must have been what Joy said.  I watched it a couple of time trying to tell what was bleeped out and it was definitely a "P" word said of some kind.

14 minutes ago, Former Nun said:

P.S.  Stupid overalls with spike sandals...ugh!

Yeah, what is with those cropped flare-bottom bibbed overalls?  And the heels ... just an odd combination.  She always has some weird element to the way she dresses, just trying a little too hard to be ... funky? Sexy?  The weird frilly sweaters and oddly cut out tops.  I've never seen anyone else who dresses like her.  Where does she find that stuff?  

• Love 4

I am SO GLAD this week is over! I share Celia's opinion - UNWATCHABLE it is!!

A week long of having Disney wallowing in the ego stroking was nauseating as was James Cameron's segment which yes, I also interpreted as a commercial also. This week's shows were stupid, boring, silly and a complete waste of time. 

Next week? Back to business and please...no more Disney World for at least another year!

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Fannysue said:

It must have been pot!

That was many many years ago I don't think pot , BO ?  Oh good we get to watch them eat. 

I DVR and wind up leaving the room and deleating. I stuck around for Tom Bergeron. Really does anyone want to watch someone on a ride?  I'm from another planet.

Will make sure blood pressure RX is filled for Tomi (Barbie)  Lahren next week. 

26 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

Will make sure blood pressure RX is filled for Tomi (Barbie)  Lahren next week. 

I never thought I would ever say this but she makes Elisabeth look reasonable.  I can only hope she is at  her most rabid best and Whoopi turns her wrath towards her. 

• Love 4

I am really disgusted that they are putting this Tomi Lahren on this show because she's a disgrace to intelligent women of any political persuasion.   Tomi is a one trick pony who is making ulta-conservative, racist comments,  and I believe ONLY on tv cuz of her looks and youth.  

Trevor on The Daily Show asked her a few questions which she cd not answer cuz it wasn't on her memorized spiel. She was complaining abt the athletes kneeling during the anthem,  plus marches, and so-called riots. He asked her HOW they should protest or show their freedom of speech to disagree.  She could not answer and just looked blank.  

HopefullyJoy and even Whoops are ready, cuz Tomi's a racist through and through. Waste of time.

Edited by Tosia
Hate when they put idiot liars on this show.
  • Love 6
18 minutes ago, dinkysquid said:

Forgive my ignorance but I didn't have a clue who this Tomi person is, so I Googled her. Oh, my! A 24 year old, white power, ultra-right winger. Now that should make for a very interesting discussion.

I didn't know who she was until late last year. Considering the "news" outlet she works for is a big reason why. A disgusting human that one is though. I've avoided her other appearances on TV.

I had to skip the whole Train segment today. The lead singer of Train is a guy I'd usually think was cute and maybe kind of charming. For some reason though he's always come across as kinda creepy to me since I first learned about Train's existance when their song Meet Virginia was popular.

43 minutes ago, dinkysquid said:

Forgive my ignorance but I didn't have a clue who this Tomi person is, so I Googled her. Oh, my! A 24 year old, white power, ultra-right winger. Now that should make for a very interesting discussion.

I only have seen her on things people repost of her either pod cast or show and on Trevor I think Bill Maher might have had her on too.  I came away thinking how did she so angry and hateful at such a young age ? 

Yep hope Whoopi is on her toes and Joy and Sunny blast her. 

• Love 3

I didn't see today and also do not know this Tomi person.  (And spell check insists she's "atomic."). Since I've been trying to give up anger at Republicans for Lent I'm not sure I should watch Monday either.  I hope Joy and Sunny are preparing this weekend. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 6

Back to Ben Carson, I wouldn't let that man near me to remove a splinter from my finger. He looks like a narcoleptic!

I am so glad they will back in the studio next week!!! Enough silliness and now? Back to business.

• Love 5

Thanks dinky squid for a voice of reason. 

IMHO, I just don't see the attraction of any theme park for adults without kids.  

Ultra- high prices for cheap shit and food, waiting in  long lines for short rides,  crowds,  walking forever, etc....

Or I've become officially old with this opinion. 

I went to Disneyland in CA as a child, and a two Six Flags Parks as a teen, and abt twice with my kid when he came along, usually  with out of town relatives.

For you young- uns,  I remember back in the 80-90's (?) when it was a trend to go there,  with lots of adult women wearing Disney paraphernalia (kind of like  the Hard Rock Cafe tshirt trend).  Not impressed enough to make it my sole destination.  

So, maybe it's "been there,  seen it", DID NOT buy the tshirt, cuz even then I knew it was crap. Don't like the commercials when the kids are surprised with a Disney trip, like it's a lifesaving kidney. 

Yep, I'm old. 

And proud of it. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Tosia said:

IMHO, I just don't see the attraction of any theme park for adults without kids.  

Ultra- high prices for cheap shit and food, waiting in  long lines for short rides,  crowds,  walking forever, etc....

I went to Disneyland in CA as a child, and a two Six Flags Parks as a teen, and abt twice with my kid when he came along, usually  with out of town relatives.

For you young- uns,  I remember back in the 80-90's (?) when it was a trend to go there,  with lots of adult women wearing Disney paraphernalia (kind of like  the Hard Rock Cafe tshirt trend).  Not impressed enough to make it my sole destination.  

So, maybe it's "been there,  seen it", DID NOT buy the tshirt, cuz even then I knew it was crap. Don't like the commercials when the kids are surprised with a Disney trip, like it's a lifesaving kidney. 

Yep, I'm old. 

And proud of it. 

Good I can let out here because i don't bring it up now since my son married into a Disney loving family.  ( he can't understand anyone  going multiple times ) When I took them and grandkids for their first trip and in memory of my husband I was heard mumbling under my breath  that they needed to consult Temple Gradin for the herding lines.  

Yay for being back in the studio  

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Tosia said:

Yep, I'm old. 

And proud of it. 

I'm old (60) and if  I could spend a week or two in Disney World every year, I would.   It was a blast with my kids, it's just as much fun with just adults.  NO comparison to six Flags parks - those are all about roller coasters.   WDW has so much more.  Especially if you go during the Food & Wine Festival, or the FLower & Garden festival.  And the fast Pass system has almost eliminated those really long lines. 

I agree with you about the commercials surprising kids with a trip, though.  We always let the kids know, they were on board with saving money for vacation, with watching the videos to plan what they wanted to do, etc.  

• Love 5
1 hour ago, athousandclowns said:

Good I can let out here because i don't bring it up now since my son married into a Disney loving family.  ( he can't understand anyone  going multiple times ) When I took them and grandkids for their first trip and in memory of my husband I was heard mumbling under my breath  that they needed to consult Temple Gradin for the herding lines.  

Exactly ... LOL!!!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, athousandclowns said:

Ok, a thousandclowns,  you win the Internet this year.   The Temple Grandin reference is pure gold!

And true.

I live in Colorado where she is a professor and was just on tv again last week in a local interview.

Seriously, I bet she would have some insight for D world. 

• Love 4
On 3/9/2017 at 9:03 PM, 3pwood said:

I read a novel written by a man whose father was a doctor (maybe the author was a doctor too) -- can't remember the name of the book or the author.  One character is an old surgeon & he tells a young surgeon that they're just like auto mechanics & their job is to fix the machine when it breaks.  Not that auto mechanics aren't smart, but they only need to learn how a given machine works, which curious little kids do all the time.  Surgeons aren't inventing anything, or figuring out new ways to cure diseases or conditions -- they're working within a closed system that's well-known to them, & just have to correct malfunctions when those occur.   The thinkers in medicine are those who discover causes & devise remedies such as vaccines, organ transplants, etc.

Dr. Carson learned what he needed to know through diligent study & understanding, plus rote memory -- he then applied it carefully & skillfully with great manual dexterity.  Separating twin infants whose skulls were conjoined was certainly no mean feat, but it called only for certain talents & abilities that Dr. Carson had developed -- the fact that he was able to accomplish it does not mean that he's any more "brilliant" or even capable of reasoning than anyone else is.   

Standing ovation!  Yes.  This applies to most doctors and why they don't see beyond what they are taught to include diet and alternative practices that work well.  

I have a bulging disc which caused me severe pain.  I asked Dr #1 (pain/sports med guy) if I could please get physical therapy.  He said no, it would trigger more pain.  After 4 epidurals he referred me to a spinal surgeon saying he could not help me more.  I asked for PT continually, btw.  Spinal surgeon wanted to operate, natch.  I said no, please write me an order for PT.  I begged.  He said okay but it will likely make things worse.  Well of course it didn't!!.  I am now pain free because the PT worked and it only took 10 visits with me doing exercises at home, he gave me, to augment the therapy

• Love 10
7 hours ago, Tosia said:

Yep, I'm old. 

And proud of it. 

I agree.  We took the boys when in grade school and that was it.  I don't care to go again.  

• Love 2