Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms Spoilers: Abby is the Worst. Some More Again.

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

I was going to say, I didn't think you could compete once you graduated high school, and she graduated this year. Although who are we kidding they don't really respect many rules, so why am I surprised if they are bending this one.

Edited by leighroda
  • Love 1

I was going to say, I didn't think you could compete once you graduated high school, and she graduated this year. Although who are we kidding they don't really respect many rules, so why am I surprised if they are bending this one.

I've seen it happen occasionally at various dance studios. Depending on when the dancer's birthday falls in the year they may stay and dance another year. My youngest would be able to do that seeing as she was born late November. However when she graduates High School she'll be off to college and have moved on from her life of competitive dance. Some girls just aren't quite ready to leave that world yet and stay on the extra year or they are hoping to make it in the professional dance world and so stay on dancing another year for more training. I've seen studios that have girls compete who were actually now teaching other classes at their studio but they were still 18ish so it was all legal I guess. I've actually seen studios have girls or guys dancing that were even a bit older than 18 but the group average age was younger than that so there they were. Not sure how completely legal that was but since no one ever seems to ask to see birth certificates at any competition I've been at they get away with it.

TL;DR Not the first studio to do that and not the last unfortunately. 

Teaching especially after graduation is generally a disqualifier.  I mean teaching classes on one's own, not demonstrating or assisting. Conveniently, there are no rules easily displayed for New York Dance Experience..

Edited by NextIteration
Conveniently, there are no rules easily displayed for New York Dance Experience..

I have a suspicion that, while they may not be formally affiliated with DM or ALDC, NYDE is very much "in bed" with them in terms of trading access to their "competitions" in exchange for a de facto infomercial for their operation.

• Love 1

Abby Lee Miller Lies About Quitting ‘Dance Moms’ Amid Fraud Case

But RadarOnline.com has exclusively learned that Miller will be back this season and spent this past weekend filming in Las Vegas.

According to court papers exclusively obtained by Radar, Miller filed a motion on Jan. 20 to travel from Los Angeles to Las Vegas on Friday, Jan. 22 through Monday, Jan. 25 for work.

The court approved the motion.

Miller is currently preparing for trial.

If found guilty, she could face up to five years behind bars and $5 million in fines.

Thanks for the update Holly - love the comments after the aricle! "Pleasure to watch the show when she's not there."

Abby can;t afford to quit - not because we'd miss her but because she may have huge fines to pay!

Huh. I had heard that was the case but I guess it is really true that this season was shorter. Probably the last season...?. I think Jill will have a hard time resuming normal life post-Dance Moms.

Tbh, I think this might be last season. This show has seriously run its course.

I didn't see any quote from Maddie calling herself a "star". Is there a video clip I missed? I think that's just TMZ's headline to grab anything and incite the comment area. I don't know how long Maddie's so-called "star" will shine, but good for her that she's getting some play out of this entire thing. It's clear that all of these girls and their mothers are in it for the fame rather than for the love of dance. As much as any of the mothers like to cast stones, both current and former, they would all give just about anything for their children to be where Maddie is right now. Brooke, Page and Chloe have all left the show and yet are still trading off of their Dance Moms fame to stay in the news. I don't think that Maddie is the next Shirley Temple or Judy Garland or Drew Barrymore, but it's undeniable that she has a certain something that is sparking the attention of Hollywood at the moment. I say capitalize on it, as long as it's done smartly (I doubt this is the case for Melissa but there is always hope...) and enjoy the ride. 

• Love 4

How long until we don't hear about Maddie in the news?  Two years?

She's represented by the top Hollywood agency.  She's a hard worker and talented.  She'll do alright.  It's surprising how many actors started when they were children.

Some examples are Scarlet Johanson, Keira Knightly, Jessica Abla, Emma Roberts, Claire Dances.  That's just a few.  Most were mediocre kid actors and improved as they got older. 

My favorite former child actress is Anna Chlumsky.  I love her in The Veep. 

I don't think we will hear from any of the others, however.  They have had plenty of opportunity to show what they can do, it's just no one is interested.

• Love 1

Given who and how her mother is, I think Maddy has burnout written all over her.  I may be wrong, but I don't see star potential there.  She loves the attention so maybe she'll be able to take enough lessons to adapt and learn to act. 

• Love 3

I think Maddie is the perfect example of "right place, right time."  And maybe thats how it works with all child actors that later attain some fame, but Maddie was the right age, the right look and the right fit for the Sia video.  The right person saw her and the right opportunity came along when Sia was just getting hot.  It might have been an entirely different story if the Sia video hadn't been as intense or so complex.  I think that Melissa and Maddie have made the most of that opportunity, but without it I don't think Maddie would really be that far ahead.  I think Nia and Jojo and even Kendall K have had to go the more traditional route, and its a tough industry to break into.  I think Nia is in an interesting position given her age.  Personally, if possible, I feel it would be better for her to focus on Disney acting and then get into music.  I think Nia and Jojo are the natural actors of the group and I think Nia could develop a following as an actress first.  I'm not sure why they are so focused on the music thing, I think Nia is a reasonable singer...probably much better than other Disney actresses who have tried to sing but she isn't so heart stopping that she can get by on her music alone.  

I think the main test for Maddie is going to be if she can transition from getting booked for roles that involve dance to things that aren't dance related.  Yes, I know she just filmed some fairly high profile movie and I'm curious to see if her acting has improved at all working with higher profile directors/stars.  But the girl is not a natural actor.  She's a dancer.  I caught her on that one Disney Channel show she did last year and she could barely even hold her own there, as an actor at least.  Of course when she danced she was great, but her line readings were flat and fairly lifeless.  So comparing her to child actors like Anna Chlumsky or even Drew Barrymore doesn't really wash for me because they were always primarily actors.  From the time they were tiny children they always had a natural presence on screen.  Maddie didn't really have that.  She backed into acting from dancing and I don't think acting comes naturally for her, except for when the part requires dancing.  So the question is will anybody care to book her for anything unless it's primarily dance related?  Hard to say.  If you don't need a dancer, wouldn't you just hire a kid that had the acting chops?  Are there really that many parts out there for dancers?

• Love 4

I think you hit the nail on the head Spanana. She was "ok" on Austin and Ally, i've seen worse but also a lot better. She was much better recently on Ricky, Dicky and whomever else; but again she played a dancer. However, even with that her spoken parts came along much more smoothly and with more feeling than on Austin and Ally, so I think she's loosened up a bit. I'm curious to see how she did in The Book of Henry. That's a much more trying avenue than these little kids shows, so I would expect some improvement. I do think that she's a dancer in that one as well though; but the difference is the focus is not on her character as a dancer but rather as an abused child (I believe that's it; so far details are very slim on this movie).

I went to see a taping of the show a few weeks back in Vegas. I shouldn't be shocked, but the performances were UNINSPIRED. The group number was a tribute to Bowie. It was right after his death. Boring, bad makeup, costuming. It was like someone in production said, "Bowie's dead, let's milk it." Anyway, look out for a "standing ovation" that had to be coaxed by production where the audience was actually told to stand up and clap. Believe me, it was not in response to some rousing dance from any solo dancer or the group performance. Basically, Abby's dancers appeared to be just going through the motions. Also, Nia appeared to be the weakest dancer. Maybe she was tired, but her form and especially her feet were jut plain bad.

Edited by OnceSane
spoiler tags are unnecessary in a spoiler thread
  • Love 4

New to this forum but do watch the girls dance on Dance Moms.  My favorite moment is when McKenzie said she just wanted to sit on the sofa and eat chips.  I've enjoyed watching her grow.  I never got to take dance but I don't think I could have endured the criticism.  Had my parents had the money I would have loved to take dance lessons.

Someone made a comment about how many dancers really go on to acting.  What about Xenia Goodwin of Dance Academy and those dancers who had supporting acting roles?  Are any of them considered "good" actors?  I loved Dance Academy and am looking forward to the reunion that has been recently funded.