Type keyword(s) to search

Dance Moms Spoilers: Abby is the Worst. Some More Again.

Rhondinella
  • Start Topic

Abby is a monster and the moms be cray cray.  Spoiler alert.

Also, just saw this, which says that Brooke and Paige are definitely not returning this season.  So it won't be one of those things where they'll be back again in two weeks for more abuse.

It could go under media, but it was mildly spoiler-y so I put it here.

Edited by Gitano131
  • Love 1

This article has a couple photos from the first day of filming in Abby's studio for the second half of season 4.  Filming started May 2.  No official date has been announced for the return but it is rumored for June.

The two photos shown in that article are both with the "new" team.  Nary an "old" team member to be seen, although the article assures us they will be there.  So anyone hoping this "two team" nonsense would just disappear--so sorry.

I don't know if this was a new contract or if she's still operating under the original.  I would guess the latter since I think TV show contracts are typically for 5-7 years (I know most TV actors have to sign a 7 year contract up front unless they are a big movie star or something and can negotiate down).  

• Love 1

Of course it's a new contract.  Chloe's mom just wanted people to believe that it wasn't her choice to have Chloe treated like shit on a daily basis for money and fame.  It's all the evil TV people's fault!  She wouldn't walk away from this for anything.  No matter how negative the impact on Chloe.

Most major network shows are for an initial six year contract, but negotiations are almost always possible. My guess is that they are still under the initial contract.

• Love 2

My understanding is that she's still tied into lifetimes contract, but has refused to sign Abby's which is why chloe is not being allowed to do anything extra with the ALDC, she's just there for the show.

That's true.  The talent is tied for the contract period, but there are clauses in the contract that end payment when the show ends.  The talent may still be tied until the contract period expires even if the show ends.  Another reason to have an expert involved.

Wouldn't that be more common for actors?  The need to hold their services in case of network change or syndication?

Yea, I can't imagine reality show contestants have the same contracts as professional actors. 

I'm no expert on this topic.  And I have no idea if she's telling the truth or not, but Christi has claimed publicly in interviews that the only reason she hasn't left the show is because she is tied down by a 6-year contract.  Here's one article that references an interview: 

Lukasiak claims she has also tried to quit the series on multiple occasions (despite her six season contract) due to her belief that the children are not treated with respect by Miller and Lifetime producers. “I wanted off the show. Enough was enough,” Lukasiak revealed during an April 2013 fan event, referencing to one episode during season three when her daughter Chloe was yelled at by Miller for losing her hat during a routine. “Our bottom line is we are still mothers. We try to protect our children but our hands are tied because we are in a situation where we are under contract with Lifetime and cannot leave.”

I mean, maybe she's full of it, and just playing up her indignation for the cameras, I don't know.  But it seems likely to me that the producers would want to tie up the "talent," even if they aren't actors, since changing girls and moms every few weeks or years wouldn't be as compelling.

We have a relative in the family who does entertainment law.  I try not to bug the person with questions, but yes, the "performers" like Kate Gosselin, Christi, Kelly, Paige, Chloe, etc. are signed to long term contracts.  From the network's side of things how would it be to get a really successful reality show and after season two say the family decides to shop around for a new network and/or more money?  The network wants stability so uses these several years long contracts. 

Wow, I had no idea how entertainment contracts work. If it's true that Christi and Chloe have a six year contract with the show but didn't sign Abby's contract to dance at the studio then it may explain why Christi comes off so poorly on the show. I wonder if she's trying to get kicked off so that way she and Chloe can be free of Abby without actually breaking a contract. She might not really be as crazy as she seems.

• Love 3
(edited)

I wonder if she's trying to get kicked off so that way she and Chloe can be free of Abby without actually breaking a contract.

This is exactly what I've been thinking especially since the brouhaha with Kelly. It seemed to me she was intentionally trying to instigate Abby on many occasions. Consider the time she blew into Abby's face; to me that smacked of "poking the lion" for no other reason than to get a volatile reaction.  She even had a little bit of a smirk as if saying "ha! take that! now kick us off the team please!"  or better yet, "hit me so Lifetime has no choice but to release us from filming"

Edited by sharkerbaby
  • Love 1

Christi and Kelly are stage mothers, the worst kind.  They think their kids are talented when they are really run of the mill kids who are capable at dance/singing/acting.  They will do anything to keep in the spotlight.  Christi looked crazy when she was at the reunion sashaying around dressed to the nines.  Crazy bitch.

• Love 2

Mackenzie can't make a fool out of herself, she's just a little kid!  She's singing like a little kid, she's acting like a little kid - no shame in that.  The difference between her and every other kid out there singing and dancing in recitals is that Mackenzie is getting paid big money.  Of course it won't last, she's not really that talented, but still it's a lot of fun for now! 

The one who is an embarrassment is Brooke.  She is old enough that she should know she is untalented.  Her mother is crazy though and thinks her kids are "amazing".

This youtube channel has some of the dances from the ALDC showcase, which I presume will be on an upcoming episode.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTDXuaVTjovauvskMZ7Lkcw

Some thoughts: 

*the ballet is bad-those girls arent ready for pointe/off the bar pointe exercises. Maddie in particular is not getting over the box correctly, and the technique leaves a lot to be desired.

* It seems ALDC's strengths are definitely in lyrical/jazz. The hiphop/ballet isn't great

* The Girls Night Out dance is choreographed by Molly Long. I like the dance.

(edited)

Eh, it looks like an awkward effort for first year pointe students at recital, as many of them do.  Now a case could be made that first year pointe students shouldn't be doing a piece at showcase/recital, but it happens in lots of places.

At least they aren't putting kids en pointe at the ages of 8 and 9... bronze star for that!

Edited by NextIteration

It looked like the dime a dozen first year pointe class performance that I saw every year for the entire time my kids were in dance (my kids included).  Why were there only three girls performing?  They only had three in the class or were these three pulled out for some reason?  It looks a little better to me with the entire class.

At least they aren't putting kids en pointe at the ages of 8 and 9... bronze star for that!

Mackenzie has been en pointe for at least half a year, Chloe was on pointe the first season so 9-10?

For the season finale, it has been reported (and confirmed by some of the candy apples mums) that Abby yells insults at Chloe about her physical appearance, which causes her to break down and she leaves with her mum

So filming resumed for the upcoming season 5 today. Kalani has been photographed on set, and she competed a solo too. However, Chloe has not been on set/not photographed/not seen at the comp, so I think it's a fair assumption to say she wasn't there this week. Jill also tweeted "we will miss you Christi and Chloe" and Christi tweeted that she will not be returning to the ALDC. However, given that Chloe confirmed at a meet and greet that she was still under contract, and the Dance Moms fb said (in reply to a comment about Chloe leaving) "Who says chloe is not returning to dance moms?", it makes me think there is something else happening. My best guess is that Chloe will go to a studio that will be ALDCs competition for the season. Maybe CADC, Studio Bleu or another studio. Thoughts?

• Love 2

So filming resumed for the upcoming season 5 today. Kalani has been photographed on set, and she competed a solo too. However, Chloe has not been on set/not photographed/not seen at the comp, so I think it's a fair assumption to say she wasn't there this week. Jill also tweeted "we will miss you Christi and Chloe" and Christi tweeted that she will not be returning to the ALDC. However, given that Chloe confirmed at a meet and greet that she was still under contract, and the Dance Moms fb said (in reply to a comment about Chloe leaving) "Who says chloe is not returning to dance moms?", it makes me think there is something else happening. My best guess is that Chloe will go to a studio that will be ALDCs competition for the season. Maybe CADC, Studio Bleu or another studio. Thoughts?

I posited a similar theory in the latest episode thread.  I suspect that some of the dancers will be based out of LA, with Abby running her LA studio and a team from there, while some dancers will remain in Pittsburgh and dancing either for a rival studio or a team that is not managed/run by Abby.  This is where I think Christi & Chloe will land, and possibly also Holly & Nia as well as Christy & Sarah; with the "new" team replacing CADC as a more heavily featured rival to Abby's LA-based team (probably with Melissa, Maddie & Mack and Jill & Kendall on that team).  Make it a fair fight between the two teams and the show becomes infinitely more interesting, IMO.  And a much healthier environment for the girls.  At least, this is the scenario I'd like to see play out if Chloe & Christi are still stuck in their contract.

• Love 1

It would be pretty funny if she went to the Candy Apples, although for her sake it'd make me sad because I think she just needs to get away from all this nonsense.

• Love 2

Chloe is at Studio 19, the studio that supposedly Kendall came from, Chloe was also in Canada at VIP the weekend that they started filming, though this past weekend was the ALDC/Sheer Talent invitational in Niagara Falls.  I hope that her only role in S5 is as a competitor against ALDC, but the clip of she and Christi didn't sound like it.  Sounds like she may continue in the same punching bag situation where she doesn't actually study at ALDC but is forced into taping and competing with them.

Christi Lukasiak ‏@Dancemomchristi  1h1 hour ago
Just so I can clear this up: I have not stepped foot in THAT studio since the finale, NOR WILL CHLOE EVER."She" crossed the line. #bully

• Love 3

I hope this means that the other theory I've had, in the back of my mind since last week's show, is actually the correct theory - that Christi and Chloe had to keep up the pretense that they hadn't left the show until after the reunion episode, which is the true season finale, aired.

It's either that or Chloe will remain on the show but as a competitor to the ALDC, similar to CADC.

Good, hopefully now she will stfu about it and Chloe will be happy and continue to dance beautifully. She is the only one of the Lukasiak family that I ever want to hear from as long as I live.

Yes! Christi actually had me feeling sorry for Abby. And I hate Abby. Her bullying behavior is disgusting. And so sick of Holly, the dance world is not fair, get over it or get out.

• Love 2

Christi and Kelly are stage mothers, the worst kind.  They think their kids are talented when they are really run of the mill kids who are capable at dance/singing/acting.  They will do anything to keep in the spotlight.  Christi looked crazy when she was at the reunion sashaying around dressed to the nines.  Crazy bitch.

Actually this is what I constantly think, the same applies to Holly and Jill.

Nia, Kendall, Brooke, Paige, Chloe and Mac are just... average talent dancers. Sure they work hard, but they are just run of the mill. I see kids like them all the time. Nia, god bless her, is even less skilled than the others. 

Maddie- I don't think she is spectacular but I do think that she has a tremendous work ethic and she seems to be growing into a better capability. I see her being employable - heck I thought her Sia video was great. Generally, I don't get bored watching her. I usually always get bored watching the others. Even Chloe-- she has no spirit in her dancing-- it just tends to be one note with a plastered expression that actually looks like a statue. I think she was much cuter, and interesting to watch when younger, but now she is just a snooze fest (similar to Mackenzie). They are all perfectly nice children just not anything amazing.

They drive me nuts with thinking that if Abby just spent more time with them they would be better, amazing. Not gonna happen. It reminds me of a rich white kid I knew who went to all of the basketball camps, special coaching, tried to be as good as one of the poor black kids in high school-- who was just naturally talented. The white kid had skill and capability but not the innate talent. His family arranged for him to play on the college ball team (one of the top southern teams) but he pretty much just heated the bench while watching his old high school classmate get groomed for a career in the NBA. Coach would let him play anytime a few minutes when there was no chance of losing, but in general what his money could never buy (nor his desire) was real innate talent.

Although I don't think Abby should be cruel to those kids-- the reality is that Nia is not all of a sudden going to turn into an amazing dancer. She will never be Misty Copeland-- no matter how much instruction she gets (and the same can probably even be said for Maddie-- although I could see her being employable down the line).

• Love 2

Because her victim's moms finally stood up to her?

I'm not sure what you mean by "finally", as Christi's behavior now is no different than it has been since I started watching the show (over a year ago; I've never seen the beginning seasons). Frankly she and Abby are two peas of the same low-class pod - loudmouths who enter any coversation with fists raised and mouths open, immediately reaching for the insults and low blows. I generally find Abby more reprehensible as Christi doesn't badmouth the children, but they're both tiresome and neither has the moral high ground. Eventually someone just has to excuse themselves from the situation and stop repeating the same maladaptive behavior, or they're just as much to blame for the endless confrontation and repercussions on the girls as Abby herself. 

Last night, weirdly, was the first time I sort of saw Abby's perspective. She's an immature bully, and I'm certainly not excusing her behavior, but I think she genuinely believes that there's nothing she can do to satisfy these mothers, hence her automatic "fuck 'em" attitude.

• Love 1

Last night, weirdly, was the first time I sort of saw Abby's perspective. She's an immature bully, and I'm certainly not excusing her behavior, but I think she genuinely believes that there's nothing she can do to satisfy these mothers, hence her automatic "fuck 'em" attitude.

I agree with this, to an extent. I'm a dance teacher, and I totally agree with the fact that there are some parents that no matter what you do, you will NEVER please them. You can bend over backwards, give them exactly what they ask, and they will still find reason to complain, so yeah...you do lose your patience and kind of develop a "whatever" attitude with those types of parents. BUT it takes a hateful, mean, low, heartless person to treat a CHILD the way that Abby does. Those kids are innocent, they have no control over what their parents do and she out and out punishes them FOR their parents actions, on top of the abuse that she slings at them on the regular. She has no business being in the same room as a child. But, I blame the parents for that too. They watch it happen and keep bringing their kids back. No way in hell I'd sit by and let that happen and keep coming back. Lifetime and their contract could kiss my ass. We'd be in court along with LIfetime since they are party to the abuse as well. But, since they we well aware of her abuse tactics long before the cameras started rolling, it's a mute point. What kind of parents allow that. I'm so disgusted by the whole thing. As a dance teacher AND a parent.

• Love 5

@mgoody, that's a good point. I grew up in a similar situation, my older sister wanted to dance, so when I was old enough to get to do an activity it was dance by default, I didn't get to choose. My mom was afraid if I did something different she would be split constantly shuffling us to different activities. As I got older I did "like" dance... And as an adult I'm glad I did it, but there is a part of me that wonders if I would have excelled at something else (I was never a great dancer, I was decent). All of that to bring me to my point... I have no doubt that Melissa loves Mckenzie, However I think she's doing her a huge disservice by allowing her to be so entrenched in Maddies shadow.

• Love 3

Do you think Mackenzie would be dancing at all if she wasnt' Maddie's sister? She seems more suited for gymnatics personally

No. Just like she wouldn't be homeschooled if Maddie didn't dance and being homeschooled. I feel so bad for her because Melissa favors her sister over her all the time. She would probably throw Kenzie under the bus to make Maddie look good
  • Love 1

I do think Kenzie would have been better at tumbling or gymnastics.  However, I think Kenzie is o.k. with dance for fun but she doesn't take it seriously like Maddie.  I think she mostly enjoys the social aspect of it.  That's one of the reasons why I don't think Kenzie should be homeschooled.  In one episode, she expressed not wanting to be homeschooled.  I think she misses her friends.  I'm not against homeschooling if the kids get a good education from it.  However, I think Melissa did do it because she wanted Maddie to have more time to dance.  Melissa was very interested in homeschooling after talking to Sofia's mom.

• Love 1

I generally find Abby more reprehensible as Christi doesn't badmouth the children,

Except that she does. I saw two different videos on YouTube today from meet and greets where both Christi AND Chloe were doing their impression of Kendall and Jill and the saintly Christi played Kendall and there was absolutely nothing nice about it. I'm not sure which one of the other girls they mimicked, but I think it was Maddie and Melissa. Unfortunately, that dropped my opinion of Chloe several notches down.

• Love 1