Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E16: The Kara-te Kid

Vyk
  • Start Topic

From TV Guide:

Adam and the other Adam Goldberg have a karate match to settle once and for all a long-running feud.  Erica and Geoff's relationship goes public.

Seriously?  More stuff about the other Adam?  Let's hope this finally puts that noise to an end.

(edited)

If the actor Adam Goldberg wasn't such a dink about the whole thing I might feel sorry for him, but I don't.

The dude playing him seems like he's 35 years old but he has the mannerisms of actor Adam down.

Ohmygod Glory of Love I'm 13 years old cutting pictures out of Teen Beat and Bop and 16 and also playing with Barbies and Matchbox and Hot Wheels ahhhhh I unapologetically love that song and all the memories it brings back.

Ahem.  Also I love the video at the end. "Dammit Barry!  You almost broke my light!"

And the Karate Kid guy too!  Hot damn I love this show.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, mojoween said:

If the actor Adam Goldberg wasn't such a dink about the whole thing I might feel sorry for him, but I don't.

I don't feel sorry for actor Adam Goldberg it's just the bit stopped being funny so long ago, like after the first reference, that I feel sorry for myself as a viewer.

• Love 15
(edited)

This was just . . . a weird episode to me.

Erica hates Evy, yet she gives Geoff up for her sake?  Seriously!  Evy has been a rampant bitch to her for months now!  She shouldn't care about how hurt she is!  I can understand how Geoff feels terrible since he's never been on the receiving end of her bitchy behavior till tonight's episode, but still . . . Erica shouldn't have.

I've always been annoyed by Johnny, the Rush-loving kid (finally learned his name!), but Carla (yep, I now know the name of Erica and Lainey's crazy friend, too) is starting to annoy me, too.  So they freely admit that they like bagging on people to feel better about themselves?  Starting to think they absolutely deserve each other.

Always nice to see Uncle Marvin.  Though the whole time they were at his apartment, I was saying, "Uh . . . you guys do know he's only tricking you into doing his housework, right?"  I'm not surprised that Barry couldn't see it, but Adam also didn't?  Really?

RLS!  RLS!  This time, she was seen with Murray, and she was actually used in the scene, as well!  Always great to see that adorable little ball of fluff!

Let's hope that this is finally the end of the feud with the other Adam Goldberg.  But I have a question to everyone here.  Has he ever been seen before tonight?

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 4

As every How I Met Your Mother fan knows, Zabka is the GOOD GUY in the Karate Kid!

I just really don't care about Geoff and Erica.  Complete fail the entire season on that storyline. 

I was wondering how the other Adam Goldberg won the first match to make it to the final if he does not know Karate?

But I did like the double crane move. 

• Love 8
(edited)

Also did not realize Zabka was in Hot Tub Time Machine.  And they didn't mention he plays the boyfriend in European Vacation, Jack.  He dumps her for her friend while she is in Europe.  Or maybe that's implied, but not stated, I forget.  She reads his letter and starts gorging herself on food

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • Love 1

"I am not so much a sensei as a guy whose housekeeper quit because he offered to pay her with a 'massage'..."

10 hours ago, Vyk said:

Erica hates Evy, yet she gives Geoff up for her sake?  Seriously!  Evy has been a rampant bitch to her for months now!  She shouldn't care about how hurt she is!  I can understand how Geoff feels terrible since he's never been on the receiving end of her bitchy behavior till tonight's episode, but still . . . Erica shouldn't have.

Well, technically Erica said she doesn't want their relationship to start by hurting anybody (which presumably includes rampant bitches) as a matter of principle. But still, what, Geoff is going back to Evy and she is not going to be hurt now? Or he, for that matter? Really?

• Love 4
14 hours ago, mojoween said:

The dude playing him seems like he's 35 years old but he has the mannerisms of actor Adam down

Is that the same guy who played the depressing angry lyricist in Music and Lyrics?  It looks like him. I will have to hit IMDB later.

11 hours ago, Vyk said:

I've always been annoyed by Johnny, the Rush-loving kid (finally learned his name!), but Carla (yep, I now know the name of Erica and Lainey's crazy friend, too) is starting to annoy me, too.  So they freely admit that they like bagging on people to feel better about themselves?  Starting to think they absolutely deserve each other.

Carla has annoyed me since her shoplifting episode.  Then this season they seem to have made her increasingly nastier.

• Love 2

I really thought Erica and Geoff were going to become a thing this, and we could just stop with the Will They or Wont They crap. but it looks like it hasn't worked itself out yet. Classic Zapka move, show.

Even in his few moments of screen time, Pops is the best. "He should be in jail, but he isn't!"

Hopefully this is the end of the Other Adam Goldberg joke. It was funny at first, but now its gone for WAY too long. Also, other Adam Goldberg looks like he's in his mid 30s.

Uncle Marvin! Loved his growing horror at the actual steaks to his "karate" classes.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

As every How I Met Your Mother fan knows, Zabka is the GOOD GUY in the Karate Kid!

This always makes me link this obligatory video, "Daniel is the Real Bully"

"What, is it Thanksgiving already?" had me in stitches

• Love 4

I am puzzled by Adam ALWAYS wears his dorky glasses.  It is not a good idea to be wearing glasses when you might be kicked in the face in a karate match, are posing for sexy/macho headshots ( James Dean was legally blind without his glasses and had to squint to see which added to his rebel appeal)  or playing dodgeball.  Unless he was hoping the other Adam would not hit a kid with glasses. 

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Cowgirl said:

Carla has annoyed me since her shoplifting episode.  Then this season they seem to have made her increasingly nastier.

I think being with Johnny has rubbed off on her in all of the wrong ways.

Edited by Vyk
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

I actually liked the Greek chorus of it all because it set up Erica angrily snapping at them.  It amused me.

What does "Greek chorus" even mean?

A Greek chorus, or simply chorus in the context of Ancient Greek tragedy, comedy, satyr plays, and modern works inspired by them, is a homogeneous, non-individualised group of performers, who comment with a collective voice on the dramatic action.

In today's world, it's basically any set or group of people who lurk in the background commenting on the action.

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, mojoween said:

In today's world, it's basically any set or group of people who lurk in the background commenting on the action.

And that referred to what Johnny and Carla were doing first to Adam and Other!Adam and then Erica and Geoff later on?

4 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I guess they were too lazy to come up with some other story about why they can't just be together.

I don't see why they can't just be together. Have them date. What's it going to change? Erica, if I am getting this right, doesn't exist in the real world so it's not like this stoyline is based in some fact like Barry being a doctor. The reason the came up with to pull them apart again was quite possibly the stupidest thing I've ever heard. As you said, the damage was already done. Evie isn't going to forget this happened. She'd be a fool to take him back, but she probably will. And Erica will go back to pining for some reason.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I didn't like the Geoff/Erica story.  Evy is already hurt.  Getting the guy back who cheated on her and wants to be with someone else isn't exactly making things any better, for her or anyone.

I agree, Geoff and Evy won't happen again.  I think Erica's point was that she wanted some time between Evy's pain being so fresh and her(Erica) being happy with Geoff.  I can get that, even if it doesn't seem logical.

• Love 2

Slightly UO, but I like Erica and Geoff together. I think the actors have good chemistry and I like the idea that Erica, who's always so concerned about her coolness and reputation, ends up falling for a kind of nerdy guy. I do agree that it was contrived that they broke up so quickly, and over Evy, but I interpreted that the plan wasn't for Geoff to get back together with Evy, but to make it so he and Erica weren't together minutes after he and Evy broke up. I think the idea (may be giving these characters way too much credit) was that it might make it a little easier on Evy if they weren't seeing each other right on the heels of a breakup that was clearly difficult for her.

But ultimately I predict (which won't be true because I'm notoriously horrible at predictions ) that the whole build-up and then break-up is because they're setting up that Erica and Geoff will end up married many years down the road, which means story-wise, it's too early to get them together now.

• Love 4

I guess I'm in the minority here, but I thought this episode was awful! What happened to this show?! The past seasons have always been so great, but this season just went downhill...fast! The Erica/Geoff storyline, Adam F Goldberg vs Adam Goldberg "jokes", the Rush kid and his bully girlfriend, Beverly being way way way too over the top, etc. The show is trying way too hard or is running out of ideas or both. At this point, Pops, Dave Kim and the PE teacher are my favorite characters. 

• Love 2

I was sad to see that Erica and Geoff didn't pan out, but the writers can't have them get together this soon, especially if the show lasts for several more years.  I now realize that.

I loved The Karate Kid references.  Too bad Zabka couldn't make an appearance.  I almost thought that was him at the end, but learned that he doesn't have a credit for The Goldbergs.  If they could hire him for How I Met Your Mother, then I don't really see the problem.

I burst out laughing when Erica mentioned Geoffrey the Giraffe from the Toys "R" Us mascot.

And, yes, I'm finally glad that the other Adam Goldberg story line is done for good.  I don't think they'll pursue it anymore since this entire episode was based around it.

30 minutes ago, Utpe said:

I loved The Karate Kid references.  Too bad Zabka couldn't make an appearance.  I almost thought that was him at the end, but learned that he doesn't have a credit for The Goldbergs.  If they could hire him for How I Met Your Mother, then I don't really see the problem.

The guy at the end was the actor who was the Cobra Kai dojo in The Karate Kid (and sequels).

The double crane move was unexpected (at least to me), so that was a funny surprise.

• Love 2